Just Bought My First Gun (Browning Buck Mark) - Couple of Questions

PDA

oscarsonthepond
November 4, 2007, 11:35 PM
http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/images/051442m.jpg

1) I don't plan on using this as a self defense gun (those will come later). I was planning on getting ammo from Wal*Mart - 550 rounds for $10 or $15. What's the advantage of the $15 box over the $10 box? Since I'm just using this for target practice is there any advantage to getting more expensive ammo than these boxes? Will these be wildly innaccurate or will they jam all the time? Does anybody have any particular experience with cheap ammo that works well on Browning Buck Marks?

2) How often do I need to clean the gun? Everytime I shoot? After a certain number of rounds?

3) Is it super lame to get a scope on a gun like this? How much could I expect to pay for one and which one would I get? Would I need an adapter to put one on it?

4) I'm in Utah and would love to go hunt for varmints with this thing, but I live in an apartment. Are there any websites or other resources that show land where one could do that type of thing? Do you need any permits, etc. to do varmint hunting?

5) Anything else I should know about the Buck Mark in particular?

If you enjoyed reading about "Just Bought My First Gun (Browning Buck Mark) - Couple of Questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cavman
November 4, 2007, 11:54 PM
1. As long as it shoots well, the cost doesn't matter. In all likelihood, with a .22, as they shoot really flat and true anyways, you will shoot well at 50 yards and at 25 yards. Rimfire is typically more sensitive to brands than centerfire. If you can, buy a couple of single boxes and fire them. You may find both fire well. but one may not.

2. With rimfires, you will hear cleaning advice run the gamut, every time to never at all. The advisers for high frequency say so because 'cleanliness is next to Godliness". Others will say that the tiny amount of lead put down the barrel each time makes it that much better. I would suggest that most rimfires don't need a lot of barrel cleaning, especially if firing lead bullets. However, cleaning the guts of the pistol, where the bullet loads, and the front, breach of the barrel, should be cleaned more frequently than not.

3. getting a scope is quite common nowadays. One can get a "red dot" type which is not magnified, such as a popular but more expensive version, Ultradot, or a less expensive one. I personally see the red dot not the magnified versions way more frequently.

4. Buckmark has a very good reputation for being a fine pistol.

cmidkiff
November 5, 2007, 12:30 AM
Give Winchester SuperX a try... my Buckmark loves the stuff. It runs about $20 for 500 around here. Plated bullets will leave a little less fouling in the tube. The remington bulk stuff won't shoot worth a darn in my Buckmark.

I run a boresnake through the tube every time I shoot it, hose out the slide with break free clp, and wipe it down. Once 3 or 4 months I'll actually disassemble and give it a proper cleaning. My daughters and I probably put 1000 rounds a month through the thing.

Lots of people like scopes on handguns. I'm not one of them. Learn to shoot with the irons first, if you decide later to add a scope, have at it. One point, you have to remove the scope on a Buckmark to disassemble it. Kind of a bummer.

Don't know much about varmint shooting in Utah, no help there.

My Buckmark is probably the best firearms purchase I've ever made. Reliable, fun, accurate, low cost ammo, my kids shoot the heck out of the thing. Go pick up a few extra magazines. I keep 5 mags, that way I can load one full 50 round box of ammo at a time.

Enjoy :)

TimboKhan
November 5, 2007, 12:35 AM
I would say that you should clean it when you feel like it needs it. I think cleaning after every shooting session is unnecessary and sort of a pain, but I also don't think that you should just let it go. I clean my MkII once a year whether it needs it or not, and that seems to work just fine for me.

Craig M. Arnold
November 5, 2007, 12:52 AM
Great choice for a 22 plinker and your first pistol.

I have three Buck Marks and they are all super accurate and reliable. All mine like the Federal bulk pack ammo. In fact, they "eat" anything I put in the magazine.

Check out this forum. It has a section on Browning 22 pistols. A lot of great information.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php

Best regards.

Doberguy
November 5, 2007, 01:43 AM
Congrats on a good choice for a 1st gun.
My Buckmark was also my first.

1. Try the small boxes of different manufactures. Turns out mine likes the Federal Wally World stuff just fine.

2. You can peek in there and see when the ramp is dirty enough to need a cleaning.

3. While you can get a scope...don't handicap yourself from the start. Learn to shoot with the sights first. The iron sights are accurate and I have since upgraded to the fiber optic fire sights like in your photo.

4. Can't help you with the varmint hunting in Utah. My Buckmark hunts paper.

5. Once you do clean it take your time with the guide rod and the plastic insert. It can be a bear to get out and some bend the rods trying to force them. Once they do come out sometimes the spring goes flying across the room; be prepared. After a few cleanings the whole assembly comes out smoother each time.

Finally after you break the set on the allen screws on the slide sometimes they come loose after some firing. Just bring the allen wrench supplied with you to the range.

Nothing worse then getting all the way to where you can shoot to have your gun malfunction and no way to fix it.

Enjoy the heck out of it. It is also one of my favorite pistols.

DWARREN123
November 5, 2007, 01:53 AM
The top piece that covers the receiver and goes from the rear of the barrel to the rear sight has a reputation for the screws coming loose, just watch them. Otherwise they have a good rep for accuracy and long life.
Clean the barrel when accuracy falls off and wipe out the chamber and bolt face after every use.
Some rimfires are very ammo sensitive and some are not so try as many 50 round boxes as possible.
Check with the Fish & Game people for places to shoot/hunt.
Always remember safety.

ReadyontheRight
November 5, 2007, 01:01 PM
Excellent choice for a first gun.

Get a .22 boresnake. Putting a scope on your Buckmark will give you a whole new meaning of the word "accurate". I have a fairly inexpensive Simmons on mine and it's worked great for years.

BA/UU/R

Bravo11
November 5, 2007, 03:25 PM
I have a Buckmark just like that with a reflex style red dot on it.
It shoots those 550 boxes just fine. A really fun gun to have.

Princi
November 5, 2007, 04:41 PM
I have 4 of them, and I do have a word of warning: be careful when you disassemble it because the little "C-clamp" that retains the spring can go into orbit. I've had it happen a couple of times, but have been so far fortunate to be able to spot it.

You may see a difference in accuracy between standard and high velocity ammo, but I think the above advice to try different types of ammo is right on.

I was shooting Wolf Match Extra, relatively high dollar stuff, in a Remington 597 and it was all over the place. The Range Officer tried it with some cheap stuff and it grouped much better.

Why was I shooting expensive ammo in a $98 gun? Now you sound like my wife.:) I knew I had 22LR ammo in the range bag when I left for the range, but I'd forgotten what it was.

Headless
November 5, 2007, 06:12 PM
If you do lose the C-clamp, don't panic - mine's been running without it for a couple thousand rounds to no ill effect. It's just a bit harder to put back together without the clamp..

If you enjoyed reading about "Just Bought My First Gun (Browning Buck Mark) - Couple of Questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!