Semi-Auto 22lr Boring

PDA

Ghostrider_23
November 5, 2007, 02:22 PM
Is it me or is shooting a semi-auto 22lr boring????? I have a Ruger 10/22 and just plinking away I started think why am I doing this. I mean it was fun for the first 25 rounds but after that it was just plink, plink, plink at the target and seem to go by to fast.

What's your take on 22lr shooting???

If you enjoyed reading about "Semi-Auto 22lr Boring" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Silvanus
November 5, 2007, 02:34 PM
I only shoot .22lr because it's cheap. I don't enjoy it nearly as much as the "real" calibers.

Now that I'm about to finally set up my reloading equipment I think I will stick to .38/357. And 9mm of course.

Fatelvis
November 5, 2007, 02:36 PM
Shooting rats never gets boring. ;)

igpoobah
November 5, 2007, 02:39 PM
If it's boring, you are not challenging yourself enough! Set up some dimes @ 50 yards or some such. Work on the execution of the shot.

Danny Creasy
November 5, 2007, 02:39 PM
These are pics from our 50/50 Sporter Match in Sheffield, Alabama:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f169/sheffieldshootr/untitled.jpg

Or, if you don't have a club nearby, then there are numerous on-line matches at Rimfire Central or Rimfire Shooting that you can participate in by yourself. Here is my 50 yard Factory Sporter Class USBR target that I won the RFC September bench rest match with.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f169/sheffieldshootr/DSC02434.jpg

ClickClickD'oh
November 5, 2007, 02:40 PM
I only shoot .22lr because it's cheap. I don't enjoy it nearly as much as the "real" calibers. Hmmm.. Well, my not "real" caliber rifle takes racoons out of trees all night long. Basics over bore size.

res45
November 5, 2007, 02:41 PM
I love shooting all my different types 22 rifles,cheap,low noise and good practice for honing your offhand shooting skills. I enjoy plinking and not having to be so serious all the time because of the expense, one of my favorite things to do is set up some empty 12 Ga. hulls at the 100 yd. line of the range and send them flying with my Marlin Model 60. With the price of components going up every week it seem the 22 lr is looking even better.

Shooting rats never gets boring
And the supply never seem to run out and the farmers love your work.

trueblue1776
November 5, 2007, 02:47 PM
I don't seem to enjoy semi 22's either.

But nothing beats a good bolt action .22!

JohnBT
November 5, 2007, 02:59 PM
"I have a Ruger 10/22"

Ah, there's the problem. You need to get an accurate .22 to make your plinking enjoyable. Or maybe it would just be cheaper to get bigger targets for the Ruger.

:)

John

mainmech48
November 5, 2007, 03:10 PM
If what you're doing is too easy, and thus 'boring', try doing something to make it more difficult. Make the target smaller, the range longer, compete against something (like a clock) or someone, have the target moving. Sheesh! There're any number of ways to add to the challenge, but you do have to look for them.

Fast Frank
November 5, 2007, 03:11 PM
Shooting the .22 autos is only boring if you are sitting at a bench at the 50 yard range, and your scope is perfectly zeroed.

Pop! Bull's eye.

Pop! Bull's eye.

Pop! Bull's eye.

Pop! Bull's eye.

Pop! Bull's eye.

Yeah, that stops being fun pretty quick.

Drop a golf ball out there in the grass with two or more shooters and watch what happens next.

Now we're having fun! POP!POP!POP!ZING! Where did it go?

I see it! POP!ZING!

It's behind the target!

Not from my bench!POP!POP!POP!POP!POP!

Are you going to shoot it, or are you trying to cook it?

Pop! Zing!

Now I've got a shot! Click! DOH! Time out!

Time out, huh? POP!ZING!

Oh yeah, .22 autos are fun alright.

Kimber1911_06238
November 5, 2007, 03:16 PM
I enjoy shooting my .22 (once i run out of the .45 acp, .40 S&W, and 9mm ammo that i brought.)

a few hundred more rounds of .22 and then it's time to head home.

Now squirrel hunting with a .22 handgun, now that's fun (and humbling most of the time)

springmom
November 5, 2007, 03:28 PM
Not in the least boring, and it helps you hone your skills. If you can do it at 50 yards then shoot at 100. Get metal targets and work at it until you can flip all of them up.

But for me, the best thing is honing those skills. If I really can put that .22 round through the bull every time, I'm going to do pretty well with my larger calibers. And of course .22lr is invaluable as a cure for flinching.

Never boring.

Springmom

DMK
November 5, 2007, 03:30 PM
Nah, not too boring with this:

http://mysite.verizon.net/dmk0210/myarms/ARTwentyTwo.jpg

Still, I do try to make my own challenges either with precision or with speed on multiple targets at varying ranges.

doc2rn
November 5, 2007, 03:40 PM
I think I would rather run through a brick of 22lr w/ friends than target shoot alone all day that's for sure. Golf balls, tin cans, barney figures, shaving cream balloons, tennis balls, the possibilities are endless.

AtticusThraxx
November 5, 2007, 03:41 PM
Boring? Dude I'd spend the day at the range shooting a BB gun in the rain over my best day at work! Boring?

ArmedBear
November 5, 2007, 03:41 PM
All of that stuff is fun, but it's even more fun with a Model 39.

foghornl
November 5, 2007, 03:46 PM
I can practice my Single-Action shooting with my Single-Six all day a whole lot cheaper than with the .357 Vaquero/Blackhawk.

UnTainted
November 5, 2007, 04:05 PM
i think shooting with a .22lr pistol is great practice for me. i find it helps me to deal with the recoil of the .460 mag.

very few whistle pigs can stand up to a .22lr, so most that I've shot haven't lived too long... nothing like capping a whistle pig in the chest at 40 yards with the 6" buckmark.

Slugless
November 5, 2007, 04:20 PM
.22 on paper is, sometimes, a little boring. But on days like that why not shoot .223 or better? I've not been bored lately, working on technique + practice for the postcard match!

.22 on reactive targets - just great.

10-Ring
November 5, 2007, 04:24 PM
You really do have to challenge yourself shooting the 22lr. I find my expectations go up & my tolerance for mistakes goes down when I shoot my 22's :cool:

esq_stu
November 5, 2007, 04:27 PM
I'm an old fuddy-duddy with lots of centerfire guns. My eyes need all the exercise they can get.

As long as my CZ452 trainer is better than I am, I have lots of work to do with those iron sights so that when I get out the AK or SKS or Mauser or Enfield, my eyes do what I tell 'em.

Ghostrider_23
November 5, 2007, 04:33 PM
Nice comments, I like Fast Franks ideal. If my range will allow me to do so:fire:

Shooting 22lr in a pistols is not what I am talking about, I was referring to 22lr rifles. 22 lr pistols just make go practice. I shoot @ a 100 yds. with a tricked out 10/22, shooting the little man out of the window that tells you where the groups scores are.

Please keep the ideals rolling in, I will try so if allowed.

Thanks to all.

KBintheSLC
November 5, 2007, 04:42 PM
I love shooting .22. I started out on one at the age of 4, and now... 25 years later I still shoot it every time I go out. Its not just a price thing either. I love my beefed up Ruger 10/22, and my MKIII target model. Of course, they don't completely replace the .308, .223, 12ga, and my beloved 9mm. But the .22 is my most widely used round... and NO, it's not boring to shoot.

Dr.Rob
November 5, 2007, 05:15 PM
.22's are still fun, but yeah you have to get 'off the bench' with them to really make it challenging. On the plus side you can still buy 500 rounds for 10 bucks... and thats a LOT of practice. Some one suggested reactive targets... pop cans are what I grew up shooting.. make them dance, knock them in the air and hit them before they hit the ground. Animal crackers make a fine target for a young shooter.. and really teaching new shooters is what the .22 is all about! So if YOU are bored, YOU need to teach more kids (or newbies) to shoot! Try a bag of cheap lollipops set into the berm at 100 yards... or 150. Pop the top off a Dum-Dum at 100? Offhand? That's shooting. Pushing the limits of what you can accomplish with a rimfire? That's just FUN. Rifle golf has already been discussed... but if everyone has their own ball.. start at 25 yards, object is to move ball over 100 yard finish line first. You need bucket of range balls, spray painted your fave neon color, a 22 and a couple boxes of ammo and a friend or two.

f4t9r
November 5, 2007, 05:29 PM
Had fun with them as a Kid and still enjoy them today

mljdeckard
November 5, 2007, 05:35 PM
Every time I think I've gotten too big for my camoflage britches, and I'm Carlos Freakin' Hathcock with my hunting and tactical shooting, I pull out the 10/22 to make sure I can still put most of 50 through a quarter at 100 yards. It's disappointing how often I let myself down.

I have a .22 kit for my 1911, and I want to install techsights on my 10/22 to get the most out of training with it.

Leif
November 5, 2007, 06:02 PM
No shooting is boring unless the firearm is broken.

I have to say though, I am looking at going from semiauto .22 to manual action .22 - still haven't settled on action yet.

atek3
November 5, 2007, 06:12 PM
a 10-22 with a red dot, 25 rd mag, and reactive targets is about the most fun you can possibly have.

a 22lr bolt gun with a 24x scope is a close second...

atek3

mpmarty
November 5, 2007, 06:14 PM
Browning takedown 22 rifle = Boring
Ruger 10/22 = Boring
Remington 521T = hell of a lot of fun!!!:)

351 WINCHESTER
November 5, 2007, 06:23 PM
I don't consider the .22lr as boring. I have taken more game, large and small with it and the .22mag. If I could only have 1 gun it would be a .22. I could feed my family with a good scoped .22 bolt gun and have fun doing it.

rugerdude
November 5, 2007, 06:32 PM
Reactive targets are the key if you're bored of paper punching off the bench. I have a "tactical 10-22" but I have more fun with my stock Marlin 925 bolt-action.

I like buying clay pigeons and setting them up at 25 yards and shooting them with a pistol. I'll bet a 4" clay at 100 yards would be a decent challenge offhand with a rifle. Not too easy, and not too hard to be discouraging.

AND DUM-DUM'S AT 100 YARDS OFFHAND?!?!?!?! Either you have mutant overgrown dum-dums, or you're a sick, sick man. How many .22 rifles can even hold a group the size of a dum-dum at 100 yards?!?!?!

The thought of someone doing that with any amount of consistency at 150 yards boggles my mind................I guess I'll need to practice more:D

Topkick
November 5, 2007, 08:13 PM
>22 cal. shooting boring? Do it, hone your shooting skills. An accurate, scope sighted rifle, given a skillful marksman can be VERY deadly up 100 yds. Practice - practice - practice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Neo-Luddite
November 5, 2007, 09:58 PM
Borrow a kid--let the kid shoot the .22 (safely of course).

Kid too small yet? Buy a pellet gun. Same story. You'll see it with different eyes.

Il Duca
November 5, 2007, 09:59 PM
If you're bored with the .22 try a target called the Black Death Challenge. Nothing beats a nice .22.

ZeSpectre
November 5, 2007, 10:17 PM
Seriously, I'm the guy who invents all those blasted "post your target" challenges so my answer on this was obvious :neener:

Now most of the time I'm shooting with a .22lr pistol, sometimes with a 22LR Semi-auto rifle, but the most fun of them all for me is my Henry lever .22LR

I tend to make up some really outrageous target challenges when I'm shooting .22LR because I'm usually pretty stable and that Henry rifle is stupidly accurate even with dirt cheap ammo.

Things like "behead the king" (shooting the "king" playing cards) at various ranges, or the "flyspeck" challenges where you have to hit all 20 "flies" on a target like this one (http://www.targetz.com/targetz-lib/20015.pdf)

Oooh, the "black death" targets (http://10xshooters.com/BlackDeathChallenge/) look fun!

hksw
November 5, 2007, 10:46 PM
Is it me or is shooting a semi-auto 22lr boring????? I have a Ruger 10/22 and just plinking away I started think why am I doing this. I mean it was fun for the first 25 rounds but after that it was just plink, plink, plink at the target and seem to go by to fast.

Nothing raises adrenaline like competition and performing when it counts. Try out competing CMP Sporter for starters. Do a little practice then find a few local matches. Then try nationals. If you want to progress to something more serious, try out NRA Smallbore and Metallic Silhouette.

Gator
November 5, 2007, 11:16 PM
Is it me or is shooting a semi-auto 22lr boring?

Now there's a question I never thought I'd ever see. Shooting .22s is the most important shooting activity you can engage in, it is also the most fun. The more .22s you shoot, the better you will be with your center fires. If you are bored, get smaller targets! For example, when my shootin partner and I are done trying to make tiny groups in the targets we finish off by shooting out the staples and letting the targets drop, in the summer we then spray soda on the target backing and shoot at the flies that are drawn to the pop. Or you can scatter some NECO wafers downrange, or spent .22 cases, or asprin...but they tend to get lost. :)

eliphalet
November 5, 2007, 11:28 PM
Been shooting 22's about 50 years now and still enjoy it plenty If I didn't I'd quit long ago.

Shell Shucker
November 6, 2007, 12:16 AM
Yea, shooting beer cans at 25 yards has become boring....... As a kid I loved it!
Now that I'm old and sophisticated I enjoy "sniping" old rifle brass and pool cue chalk. A .75" chalk is quite challenging at 100 yards. The blue "smoke" is a good reward!
When my 5 month old son is 5 years old I bet those beer (I meant to say POP) cans will be fun again!

CajunBass
November 6, 2007, 12:36 AM
You need to find different targets. Smaller, farther away, reactive, something different.

jpwilly
November 6, 2007, 12:39 AM
The poll has spoken and 22's still are FUN! Yea! Glad this post didn't go the other way I would have had to sell my 22 for fear of being spotted with it!

ReadyontheRight
November 6, 2007, 12:41 AM
1. Stand up and shoot offhand.

2. Get a military sling, a left-hand glove, a big piece of cardboard as a shooting mat and use your .22 to learn to shoot from position - prone, kneeling, sitting, offhand.

3. Shoot against other people competitively. The only real way to get better (at least without having an enemy actually shoot AT you).

4. Use your .22 to introduce novices to shooting.

5. Bring your .22 out into the field and hunt/plink/mess around. How far away can you knock over 10 empty .22 shells on different perches?

Danny Creasy
November 6, 2007, 01:10 AM
Well, a can is still fun in the backyard with CB Longs.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f169/sheffieldshootr/DSC02056.jpg

nero45acp
November 6, 2007, 06:18 AM
With ammo prices going up I started shooting a lot more .22LR. I've found that I enjoy shooting the inexpensive .22LR so much that I started to sell off some of my centerfire handguns/rifles to finance rimfire purchases. My rimfire -vs- centerfire range sesssions ratio is now about 5 to 1.

nero22lr

JohnBT
November 6, 2007, 08:40 AM
"Yea, shooting beer cans at 25 yards has become boring....... As a kid I loved it! "

Aluminum cans make terrible targets and in no way compare to the sturdy tin cans of my youth. They'd roll and jump and make satisfying noises when hit. That's probably why I can't halfway hear now, I wasn't wearing ear plugs.

I like .22s. I have a Single-Six, some Model 17s, a Mountie, a Cooper, a
541-S and a Finnfire with a 36x scope and a 1.5-ounce Jewell trigger.

John

tbtrout
November 6, 2007, 08:52 AM
Any time I squeeze a trigger and get a report, no matter how small, is fun. You still get the great smell of burnt powder.

rdhood
November 6, 2007, 09:05 AM
To the OP: So I guess you can hit 1" squares at 25 yards in offhand, sitting and prone... 10 in the square in 30 seconds with iron sights?

If you can't, then I would suggest that you find a way to make the time productive, and to become a better marksman.

CajunBass
November 6, 2007, 09:35 AM
Aluminum cans make terrible targets and in no way compare to the sturdy tin cans of my youth. They'd roll and jump and make satisfying noises when hit. That's probably why I can't halfway hear now, I wasn't wearing ear plugs.

Ain't that the truth? A bb will blow through a beer can these days. You gotta save soup, peas, and bean cans and such.

Oh, and regarding the semi-auto. No one says you HAVE to shoot as fast as you can, just because you can.

Slugless
November 6, 2007, 09:40 AM
If the beer can is on dirt, aim immediately below the can. A hit here will bounce the can in the air. Try to chase the can across the terrain.

Doing this with a .223 can be spectacular.

Ala Dan
November 6, 2007, 10:17 AM
"Its still fun as can be"~! ;) :D

tinygnat219
November 6, 2007, 12:11 PM
One can always go for something different:

http://www.justshootmeproducts.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=4&HS=1

deputy tom
November 6, 2007, 02:14 PM
I still enjoy .22 shooting with a semi,bolt,lever,any action type..22 handguns are lots of fun as well.When a friend and I retired we started shooting .22s more often due to the rising cost of ammo.tom.:cool:

Shell Shucker
November 6, 2007, 10:58 PM
BUSTED!!!!! I said that I shoot BEER cans because I was trying to be COOL.......... The TRUTH is that I've shot BEAN cans for years because they JUMP AROUND so much better!
When I was a "jukebox repairman" I had unlimited access to half used cue chalk. That is my preferred target. Puffin' blue smoke; incoming!:)

Bartkowski
November 6, 2007, 11:26 PM
I like shooting .22's because of how cheaper they are to shoot. They do get a little boring if you do the same thing over and over, but I still enjoy it. I enjoy larger calibers more for the noise, recoil, and damage done to a target, but the price of shooting keeps me from shooting things other than .22s that much.

esmith
November 6, 2007, 11:37 PM
I enjoy larger calibers more for the noise, recoil, and damage done to a target, but the price of shooting keeps me from shooting things other than .22s that much.

When you balance your time between the cartridges you shoot thats what makes it more fun. After shooting some .22s to get started you move onto a louder, more recoiling gun or cartridge. Then after shooting a couple bucks or more move back down to .22s. All this balances for cheap, fun shooting.

toivo
November 7, 2007, 12:55 AM
There are a lot of things you can do with a .22, so maybe try something different. It's like the saying about sex: "If it doesn't feel good, you're not doing it right..."

arcticap
November 7, 2007, 03:04 AM
http://www.geocities.com/silvercitygunclub/Img_Web/plate_match_03.jpg

My .22 club built plate racks and started man-on-man
falling steel plate matches on Friday nights. We have .22 rifle,
pistol and revolver match nights and the action is fast and
furious. Once the buzzer goes off, each shooter raises their gun
and goes at it. Knock down 4 white plates first and then the
orange center plate.
After a bunch of preliminary rounds, shooters are classified into
groups based on won/loss record and then we have a double or
triple elimination round until a prize winner for each class is
determined.
If someone shoots open sights verses a scoped gun, the open
sighted gun gets to take a free plate so the match becomes 4
plates verses 5 to negate any advantage of using a scoped gun.
A fast and accurate open sight shooter can often beat a
scoped opponent if they don't miss.
It a lot like an old west quick draw shoot out, except there's a
lot more joking going on.
What's boring is not shooting a .22 semi-auto rifle in these matches! :D

Sgt.Dusk
November 7, 2007, 03:19 AM
Last summer I got a silencer for my 10/22
Now I can shoot almost anywhere without annoying too much people.
Its still fun allright...

sm
November 7, 2007, 03:35 AM
Semi-Auto 22lr Boring
Not hardly.

Then again this shooting stuff never was about me really, instead about others.

-Passing forward to kids.
Vegetable cans , balloons, playing cards, tic-tac-toe , spinner targets....

-Introducing new shooters
No matter the age or gender, again, passing forward...

-Quality practice with less felt recoil thus allowing for correct basic fundamentals
Always been one that felt a .22 in same/similar platform of center-fire a good idea.

-Physically limited and the best they can do.
i.e. Lady was hell on wheels shooting trap in her day, had a ball with her handguns too!
Osteo got her and good.
Doc said no driving, as shutting the trunk might break her back.
She stepped out of bed one morning, broke her foot.
Good days, hit a golf ball every time with her .22's, bad days its a tennis ball.

Boring? Nah.

OEF_VET
November 7, 2007, 03:51 AM
If you're bored with shooting .22's, you've got plenty of options. You can make the targets smaller, or further away. Or, buy a transferable machinegun, and really start cranking them out.

SShooterZ
November 7, 2007, 09:22 AM
I glue aspirins and tums to a piece of cardboard and plink them at 50 yards. Its rewarding to see a little *puff* when you hit them. I've had a couple times where I got 5 or 6 in a row.

Cheap and easy entertainment and pefect for a .22. :D

madcratebuilder
November 7, 2007, 09:43 AM
I glue aspirins and tums to a piece of cardboard and plink them at 50 yards. Its rewarding to see a little *puff* when you hit them. I've had a couple times where I got 5 or 6 in a row.

Cheap and easy entertainment and prefect for a .22.

That's a great idea, I'll try that out today.
I've never been bored shooting anything, I can have fun with a BB gun.

larryw
November 7, 2007, 12:46 PM
Paintballs are great reactive targets. Toss a handful of them on the ground and fire away; satisfying neon mist on a hit, and they dissolve with the morning dew (no cleanup).

TheGunGuru
November 7, 2007, 01:47 PM
I feel for you Ghostrider_23, shooting my 10/22 just isnt as fun as it use to be. My solution was to get a bolt action 22. I found that the 10/22 with a 30rd clip was way to easy to just crack um all off and not care about total accuracy. The bolt on the other hand has an 8 shot clip and makes you really work on accuracy...more like practicing for a larger rifle. Others here have great ideas too...I really like the one about teaching others to shoot...we need to keep people "into" shooting sports or we will have other problems than being bored with a 10/22...such as not having a 10/22.

Danny Creasy
November 7, 2007, 10:37 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=314884

xd9fan
November 8, 2007, 01:35 AM
happiness is a 22 by your side afield......

simpleguy
November 8, 2007, 01:44 AM
A few weeks ago I went out with a FN-FAL, AR15, 30-06 Mauser, Baretta 92, Ruger P85, Taurus 85, HS model 21, Browning Buckmark, S&W M&P and a Ruger 10-22......
Yep, you guessed it........the 10-22 is still my favorite. They are all great, but there is nothing like burning through .22

dakotasin
November 8, 2007, 02:12 AM
22's bore me to tears.

i have a few 22's. can't remember the last time any have been shot, though - and no particular interest in shooting them now, what w/ there being interesting guns in the safe and all...

Zach S
November 8, 2007, 03:40 AM
There's really no choice on the poll for me. I think its boring, but not a waste of time and money.

When I want to shoot to shoot, I grab a 10/22 and a couple of ramlines, or eagles, I havent actually looked at them in so long I'm not sure what they are. I just fill em up, empty them, refill, empty again.

I only have a couple of 10/22s at the moment. I do have an AMT frame at a 'smith getting worked on, and an AA kit will top it off after the first of the year. Also trying to get a dedicated rimfire AR15 built up.

The last time I got a box of GBs (well, six boxes of GBs), they were less than 12 bucks. 12 bucks for 550 rounds is a little over 2 cents a pop unless I had a brainfart while doing my math. Its boring, but its still triggertime for cheap.

chris in va
November 8, 2007, 01:50 PM
I agree, a semiauto 22 is really dull. My 22 rifle purchase will be a lever, probably Henry.

confed sailor
November 8, 2007, 02:10 PM
of course its gonna get boring punching paper.

Granted its a single-shot bolt, but i love taking my little mauser out and making the 200 yard gong ring, .22 isnt about the "sturm und drang" of shooting, i shoot .22 to hone my skills for when i take my mosin or FN49 out.

If you enjoyed reading about "Semi-Auto 22lr Boring" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!