458 Win Mag ammo at a good price?

PDA

Matt304
November 5, 2007, 03:05 PM
Ok, so I'm looking at Hornady's pricing on 458 ammo and about jumped out of my chair. $100 a box? For something which is a longer version of a 450 Marlin with a little more powder and heavier bullet? I would never pay that and it doesn't even make sense. You can reload the round for less than a box costs.

Is there a maker of 458 ammo at a decent price anywhere? I just want to buy a box and shoot before commiting.

If you enjoyed reading about "458 Win Mag ammo at a good price?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
220_Swift
November 5, 2007, 03:09 PM
You can get Hornady Heavy Mag for $67.99 from MidwayUSA. They also list a Winchester Load for $61.99 but it is currently unavailable.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=562025&t=11082005

browningguy
November 5, 2007, 03:25 PM
There is no longer any good deals on .458 Win. I used to be able to buy it (2-3 years ago) at under $30/box on sale, not today though. I reload with 300 and 400 gr. Speer bullets, and 60-65 grains of RL7 for a light load. That brings the cost under $.50 per round which I can live with.

charlie echo
March 24, 2012, 06:20 PM
So, handloading costs are less than $1 per round, while factory loads are at least $4 per round?

Loosedhorse
March 24, 2012, 07:43 PM
So, handloading costs are less than $1 per roundSure.

Well, not counting the dies, the press, the tumbler, the scale. And if you're not a handloader, add the time to learn to the time to reload.

If you reload and you've already got most of that equipment, that fine. No one shoots "a lot" of .458 I think, but once you've hit 200 reloads you've already saved a lot of money.

Matt--Sounds like you're thinking about buying a .458 WM rifle? Do NOT shoot it if it is scoped and stocked for a shorter shooter. Ask me how I know.

http://forums.catholic.com/images/smilies/nofights/blackeye.gif

And yes, try a .458 before you buy. Shoot it off-hand, not from the bench.

Hizzie
March 25, 2012, 01:59 AM
Wisconsin Cartridge Corp has a slightly reduced loading of a 405gr RNSP @ 2200fps for a little over $2.00/round. They advertise a special on GunBroker for 100rds shipped for $210.00. Fairly pleasant to shoot in my 8.5lb Whitworth.

Hunting Shack Munitions has several loadings starting at $2.00/round. Cheapest is a 350gr FNSP @ 2500fps.

As for shooting one of the big boomers:

This is not Camp Perry so don't try to shoulder it with that bladed rifleman stance. Get some meat behind it and lean into it. Hold on tight and pull it tightly into the chest/shoulder. It won't be as bad as people make it out to be. If at all possible try some reduced loads 1st, kinda like warming up before running.

Good luck.

Curator
March 25, 2012, 10:00 AM
For inexpensive reloads to shoot my .458WinMag, I anneal the neck and shoulder of range-pickup 7mmRemMag cases then fire-form with 10 grains of Unique and a case full of cream of wheat. This makes a perfect (almost free) .458 case which I load with 30-40 grains of IMR 3031 or IMR 4198 and a 420 grain cast plain base bullet. Accurate, fun, low recoil and costs about 15 cents a shot.

Kachok
March 25, 2012, 01:25 PM
When I see prices like that I am glad I handload, even 30-06/270win/308 ammo has gone up around here, couple years ago I could get Federal Vital Shock ammo for $12.99 now I would have to pay $14.99. I buy once fired Rem brass at the range for next to nothing, and IMR4350/RL22 in bulk. The only part I have to really pony up for is bullets, I really like my ballistic tips and am willing to pay 40 cents a piece to never have to track anything I shoot. I don't think I have ever seen much once fired .458Win brass at the range, you might find a deal online

CraigC
March 25, 2012, 01:34 PM
The answer is handloading, whether you have the equipment or not, because if you "need" a .458, then you "need" to be proficient with it. So you "need" to either handload, preferably with cast bullets for practice (WAAAY under $1/rd), or you "need" to be independently wealthy to afford factory ammo. Either way, you "need" to shoot it enough to be proficient. Unless you just "want" it.......

However, did anybody notice that the question was asked 5 YEARS AGO?

charlie echo
March 25, 2012, 01:43 PM
The answer is handloading, whether you have the equipment or not, because if you "need" a .458, then you "need" to be proficient with it. So you "need" to either handload, preferably with cast bullets for practice (WAAAY under $1/rd), or you "need" to be independently wealthy to afford factory ammo. Either way, you "need" to shoot it enough to be proficient. Unless you just "want" it.......

However, did anybody notice that the question was asked 5 YEARS AGO?
Shoot 1000s or forgetaboutit.

it's time to start leaning how to reload...

If you enjoyed reading about "458 Win Mag ammo at a good price?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!