SKB for Sporting Clays?

PDA

Crazy Coot
November 5, 2007, 02:19 PM
Has anyone tried the SKB 585? I'm thinking about buying one from a friend of mine. I'll mainly be using this for sporting clays. The gun is in great shape. He's asking $950 for it with several chokes included. Do you guys think this is a good deal?

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "SKB for Sporting Clays?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
romeo212000
November 5, 2007, 02:30 PM
Im not sure about what that gun should go for but I do know that an SKB is a fantastic gun for a good price so I would be willing to bet you cant go wrong. Some of the others might know the actual value of that gun better than me though.

ArmedBear
November 5, 2007, 02:31 PM
A fair deal. I'd probably buy it.

Aftermarket chokes? Is it the Silver or Gold model?

I have an old Ithaca SKB 500 in 20 Gauge. It's the same gun, other than finish and some very minor differences like a longer trigger guard. Still locks up tight and works great after 30 years of use in the field and at the skeet range. Gotta love a Greener lockup.

An excellent firearm. A friend of mine, who does a lot of restoration and 'smithing work on shotguns of all vintages, has 4 of them in various trim (including one fancy grade Weatherby made by SKB). Loves 'em, and his opinion is an educated one. They've worked well for upland birds, 5-stand, skeet, sporting clays.

Crazy Coot
November 5, 2007, 03:16 PM
He said the chokes were all Comp-N-Choke chokes.

ArmedBear
November 5, 2007, 03:24 PM
Ah.

Do you want Comp-N-Choke tubes?

Crazy Coot
November 5, 2007, 03:28 PM
I don't know. I'm very new to sporting clays so I don't know much about this stuff. I've heard nothing but good things about the Comp-N-Choke chokes. What has been your experience with them?

ArmedBear
November 5, 2007, 03:38 PM
Never used them.

I'm somewhat fond of fixed choke barrels, myself, if they're appropriate. I'm not a fan of porting or anything that is a PITA to clean. But for SC, you want to be able to change chokes easily.

I've shot on a trap league team with a guy who loved his. He said they grab the wad as it exits, and this improves the pattern. I was using Windjammer wads through regular Browning Invectors, myself, and my patterns seemed to be the same. Windjammers are supposed to function much like regular wads in the Comp-n-Chokes.

I don't think there's anything wrong with them, though they don't really provide much compensation, from what I can tell. I have no problem shooting doubles with no porting or anything else like that, though I do like longer forcing cones.

I guess the reason I asked is that, if I wanted them, I'd pay extra to get them, but if I didn't, I wouldn't consider them in the price when making the offer.:)

Crazy Coot
November 5, 2007, 03:42 PM
Ok, I understand. I really appreciate the info & advice.

Pete409
November 5, 2007, 08:44 PM
The SKB 85 series (585, 685, 785, etc) of guns are excellent quality guns. SKB also makes the Weatherby O/U's which are nearly identical as far as operation, but have upgraded wood and other upgraded cosmetic features.

As far as the Comp-N-Choke chokes, they are simply a BRAND. Any brand of chokes designed to fit that gun will work well. If you want more chokes to fit the SKB, they are readily available and reasonably priced from several different manufacturers.

The price you mentioned seems reasonable for the gun as you described it.

ArmedBear
November 5, 2007, 09:07 PM
Not true re Comp-N-Chokes being simply a brand.

They are different from most chokes in that they have holes in them.

http://www.comp-n-choke.com/images/h_cnc01.jpg

Whether you love that or hate it is up to you.

Pete409
November 6, 2007, 09:24 PM
Comp-N-Choke is not the only brand of chokes that have holes in them. Many others do also.

I said nothing about whether I liked them or disliked them. I simply said that they are a "brand" of choke ..... which is true. There are dozens of brands of after-market choke companies. Just to list a few are Briley, Seminole, Trulock, Carlson, Pattern Master, Wrights, Rhino, and many others. Buy whichever brand turns you on.

ArmedBear
November 6, 2007, 09:53 PM
Hell, Pete, that wasn't my point.

A Browning BPS is a brand. But it also has features that differ from, say, an 870, a 37 or a 500, e.g. bottom eject, tang safety, and a steel receiver.

The 37 has bottom eject, the 500 has a tang safety, and the 870 has a steel receiver. Each one of them is a brand, but each one of them has a specific feature set. They're not all the same, just because they share a few features with each other.

The Comp-N-Choke is what it is. It's not close to the same animal as a Briley or a Carlson, brand names or not. The fact that it's not the only pseudo-muzzle-brake or ostensibly wad-grabbing design doesn't change that.

txgolfer45
November 7, 2007, 08:09 PM
Armedbear,

I think you are confusing brands and models/product lines. Browning is a brand. Browning BPS is a model/product line. Then, you may have specific products within a model or product line. Remington is a brand. Remington 870 is a model or product line and Wingmaster or Express are sub product lines of the product line of 870. Same for Browning Citori (product line); Lightning or White Lightning being products within the

Choke companies also may have multiple product lines (e.g. Briley has different product lines of extended chokes).

ArmedBear
November 7, 2007, 09:13 PM
"Brand" was his word.

My only point was that a Comp-N-Choke has specific features which someone might want or not want, and I wouldn't pay for something I don't want, even if it is "worth" $100 more or whatever.

That's all. That's it. Jesus H Christ on a popsicle stick.

Pete409
November 7, 2007, 09:41 PM
Armed Bear,

You are the one who made the big deal about me referring to the Comp-N-Choke chokes as "simply a brand" yet you say you have "Never used them." Why are you so defensive about something you've never used? For that matter, how do you know if their claims are even valid?

Nearly every choke company claims that their chokes are the best and produce the best patterns. There is nothing surprising about all these claims. The only thing that surprises me about it is that some people actually believe the claims.

If you enjoyed reading about "SKB for Sporting Clays?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!