642 Club Part Deux

PDA

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

fiVe
November 3, 2007, 07:00 PM
What is the 642 Club? Just a place to hang a snubnose post? No. We are a testament to a very popular revolver. We are a front-line, almost real-time, almost face-to-face, first-rate reference, with a vast wealth of knowledge on grips, ammo, carry methods, etc. I am proud of this, particularly with all the new members coming on board.

Without a doubt, this thread itself has become a vital accessory to the 642. And we are trying to positively influence the manufacture of new 642 accessories with the Hogue grips petition.

Instead of asking “What is the 642 Club?”, we should really ask “Who is the 642 Club?”. We are a band of friendly, decent folk who have bonded (albeit maybe loosely) around a very cool snubnose revolver. This is a good thread because it is made up of good people, and together we have created a warm, decent place on the web.

I’m thankful we have such a quality board on which to exist. The High Road is a beacon on the internet and a standard that every board should follow. Thank you, Oleg and moderators for letting us be here. I do hope we will be seen as a thread with substance and not just size. While I do have a life outside THR, I am proud of my membership here.

When I created post #1, I never could have imagined this thread would grow to over 5000 posts and I never could have do it alone. In other words, this happened because of you--over 600 of you--not me. So....thanks. What’s next? I think we should keep doing what we’ve been doing--stay friendly, post your range reports, post your reviews on ammo, holsters, etc., help the newbies, and if you discover/experience anything new with your 642, be sure to share it.

I hope this thread is as big a blessing to you as it is to me.
Safe shootin’.

Peace,
fiVe

If you enjoyed reading about "642 Club Part Deux" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Brian Williams
November 5, 2007, 10:49 PM
Welcome to the second edition of the 642 Club

Part 1 here
http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=138658

I put 50 rounds through mine today...

EDIT to add
Just a reminder folks this is the 642 club. It is in the revolver forum and should be on topic for the Revolver forum and the x42 series of S&W revolvers. Rambling to the other centenial frames and other light weight revolvers fit the topic of this thread and any thing else will be deleted or moved.
b

DouglasW
November 5, 2007, 11:09 PM
I'm still here...with my 642 in my front pocket. :evil:

Thanks to fiVe and all of the others who have contributed their knowledge on all things J-frame to the 642 club....

Navy joe
November 5, 2007, 11:16 PM
I'll get in on page one of this one too! Same 642 still with me, looking a little beat down from getting carried a lot. Always looking for a companion J-frame. This gun saved my financial life, I have completely sworn off of all auto pistols that are not full sized thereby saving me a mint in new pocket pistols, replacement springs, more holsters, mags, maintenance, reliability testing, etc. Small autos are too much to keep up with. The 642 just sits there ready to go.

lanternlad1
November 5, 2007, 11:20 PM
I put 100 rounds thru my 642 yesterday. No FTFs or FTEs :) (yes, it's a joke...)

I love revolvers.

I think I am going to sell my wife's Taurus 85 and get her a 642 too. (If she hasn't appropriated mine...)

Anyone wanna trade a Smith for a Taurus?

Didn't think so. :)

glockman19
November 5, 2007, 11:31 PM
I would not own a S&W 642 or 442 if it weren't for the 642 Club. I also have a Desaints pocket holster Mika on order and use both the Speer Gold Dot's & Federal Hydra Shok's as SD ammo All because of shared experiences from club members. Oh yes can't forget the CTC 405 laser grips.

Thanks to everyone who helped influence my decision and to FiVe for beginning it all.

The thread has become the difinitive source on the web for the 642 and I'm also proud to be a part of it.

sixgunner455
November 5, 2007, 11:32 PM
Page one of part two!! Gotta get in on the ground floor this time.

Phydeaux642
November 6, 2007, 12:06 AM
I was leaning towards the 642 when I was looking for a carry gun, and the 642 Club had such a great wealth of information about the little beast that I went ahead and took the plunge. I haven't regretted it and have since went out and added a 442 to the collection. It is in my Smartcarry holster as I type this with GD 135gr +Ps ready to go at a moments notice. Thanks to fiVe and all the guys for the great info.

Okay, how many posts until we reach 5000?:D

"Phydeaux, bad dog....no biscuit!"

Tarwater
November 6, 2007, 12:08 AM
I just bought my first 642 today (traded up from a finicky Kel Tec), but I haven't gotten a chance to shoot it yet. Sure does give me a warm fuzzy feeling knowing it's going to work if I need it, though.

What do y'all think about the Winchester white box +P JHP? How does it perform compared to the pricier stuff?

rdrancher
November 6, 2007, 12:11 AM
Anxiously awaiting an IWB holster and t-grips for my 642-1 as I type this.

I've owned a ton of guns in my 50+ years, but nothing has ever "fit" me quite like a snubby.

rd

fiVe
November 6, 2007, 02:34 AM
For those who want to read the first 5022 posts, please go to The 642 Club (part one) (http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=138658).

I put 50 rounds through mine today...

Glad to hear it! And thanks for setting up Part Deux.

jt1
November 6, 2007, 03:01 AM
Well, I feel like I showed up at the club house and found a big sign nailed across the door saying Closed! I am unsure why we need to start a new chapter in the history of this thread. The first thing that comes to mind (after recovering from my initial shock seeing the closed sign) is it will be quite a bit more involved to reference and refer to past posts. The database that has been compiled is, as you are aware, quite extensive and I reference it often. The original 642 Club is now destined to fall off the active pages and be cast into the netherworld of the archives, and this will change the history, accessibility, appearance, and feel of the club house and I believe will alter the future course of this thread. If there is some reason, logistical or technical, that I am unaware of then that is one thing. If the reason is purely a judgment call because "it's too big" I do not agree with this action and would respectfully request that this decision be reviewed and hopefully, in the true sprit of The High Road, our status as an original, cohesive, intact thread of this forum be restored.

kingpin008
November 6, 2007, 03:15 AM
I agree with JT - Unless the original 642 Club threads can be archived or stickied somehow, I fear it will be lost as newer posts overtake it. I've never made a post on the original thread, but I don't see why it's suddenly become "too large" and in need of closing. If anything, it would be a great thing to keep open, a running commentary to the great little revolver, with a huge fanbase.

Respectfully, I ask that the original 642 club is re-opened and business allowed to continue as usual.

Thanks!

MassMark
November 6, 2007, 09:58 AM
I'm not sure I understand.....Locking down perhaps the most successful thread on the Internet makes little in the way of sense to me....If it needs to be done, could you at least sticky the original "locked down" thread? There's a ton of information there....

theNoid
November 6, 2007, 10:08 AM
While not a member, I have referenced many people to your club/thread in the past. The fact that it is now closed is simply preposterous if you were to ask me. Hey guys, great gun, great thread, great people, great information, and great photos, now let's close it down. What's next, another Clinton in the oval office? Hmmmmmm...

Noidster

DAdams
November 6, 2007, 10:23 AM
Deleted by DAdams

Page One Placeholder. I may be deleted but I will not be silenced.

MassMark
November 6, 2007, 11:27 AM
Anyone?

Phydeaux642
November 6, 2007, 12:05 PM
After I saw that the 642 Club thread was locked as of yesterday, I posted here on the new thread. Later in the evening I kind of had the feeling that I was part of a group that had just had their favorite gathering place demolished to make way for a new mall and then promise to still get together at a new location, all the while knowing that that would never happen and that eventually everyone would go their seperate ways with new friends. It really is a sad day, as I don't see a new thread being the same as the old one. The few posts this new thread has generated already have a different feel to them. As DAdams has said "bandwidth is bandwidth, memory is memorey", so I don't see how the size of a thread determines that the thread should be locked in favor of starting a new thread concerning the same subject unless the endgame is to see the group that participates in thread scattered about. But, then again I don't seem to understand much these days.:confused:

"Phydeaux, sad dog....here's a biscuit!"

Harvster
November 6, 2007, 12:15 PM
Yeah, I don't quite get it. 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000 is OK but 5022 or so is too big?

1BLINDREF
November 6, 2007, 12:26 PM
I wanted to get in on the first page this time.
I'm posting this while my 642 sits comfortably in my DeSantis Apache ankle rig :D

S.O.D.
November 6, 2007, 12:27 PM
fiVe - This really is a testament to the power of what you created. One thread could not hold it all!

deputy tom
November 6, 2007, 12:41 PM
I didn't know the first 642 thread was closed.Well I'm still here and wearing my 642 on my hip as I type this.tom.

fiVe
November 6, 2007, 01:08 PM
I was sad when I saw that “part 1” was closed. I realized it was the end of an era (so to speak), as the thread will roll off the first page and now things will be different. Then I realized I needed to step back and look at things from a different perspective.

From the Practical Angle.
I know nothing about the maintenance side of vBulletin, but when I was a database adminstrator, I preferred smaller-sized objects over larger, as things were easier to maintain. While it’s strictly speculation on my part, I would imagine a large thread might be a maintenace aggravation. Searching puts a load on the server, and searching a very large thread more so. I’m pleasantly surprised it went as long as it did. As it has been previously stated, we just got too big for one thread, and this is a good thing.

From the Realistic Angle.
Posting on THR is a privilege. It is a great place on the web to gather, but there are rules. Since I am in no place to make posting or thread-size policy, I have no choice but to comply. The 642 Club is our special place, but it is just a small place on THR, and I’ve always believed the board has precedence over the thread. I guess my ignorance is readily evident, because I don’t know why Brian Williams decided to close “part 1”. I also do not require any kind of justification from him. Like it or not, moderator word/action is law. We must behave or we will be gone. Another point needs to be made here: “Part 1” was closed, but “Part 2” was opened. I think it is rare for a thread to be closed and then allowed to continue in another moderator-created thread. This was not an anti-club action.

It’s obvious I’m trying to play the middle of the road here. We might be sad about “Part 1”’s closure, but the realities of message boards are what they are. While “Part 1” will roll off into history, it will by no means be forgotten--I will keep a link to it in my sig line, and of course, it will be referenced in the 642BoK. The club can continue, if we want it to (and I certainly do). I would be sad if any of you left, and if any are considering such, please re-consider. I have to believe the closure was board-benefit-related as the for-profit reason doesn’t jibe with THR’s philosophy.

Alone, I can’t keep the club alive, and I won’t try. It is up to the 642 Club Nation as a whole to make it happen. Again, the 642 Club is not what or where--it is who. I want things to continue and I hope you will all be here. The one thing that will make “Part 2” seem like home is to get back on subject. It’s all about that special, hammerless snubbie, and for me, the 642 in a Mika round-cut is still the best concealed carry configuration.

Watching and waiting...

fiVe

DawgFvr
November 6, 2007, 01:35 PM
The S&W 642 is the ultimate pocket revolver...we all pretty much agree on that...at least until Ruger decides to come out with a little metalurgical magic and launch a lighter version of their SP101. A three inch 642 would be an improvement...and any kind of a revolver minus the lock would be a "major" improvement.

The problem I see with this 642 "Club" is all the extraneous "checking in" material that does not add one iota of information to bullets, powder, weaponry information sharing, etc. In other words...too much B.S. and not enough content. Hell, if I were a THR mucky-muck, I'd probably round file 3/4 of the posts as well...THR is the club...not a specific weapon.

Mongo the Mutterer
November 6, 2007, 01:52 PM
I'm witcha...part 2... Page 2 this time.....:D

bkastel
November 6, 2007, 02:49 PM
I only own newer S&W revolvers with the locking mechanism. I often see post and comments online from many that prefer to have a pre-locking gun. Is this because those guns were built from the original company? I personally leave the hammer lock off all the time and so it doesn't bother me. I never thick twice about it and have never even taken the key out of the bag on my 460XVR and 642. I'm just curious on why so many are against the lock. No one is forcing it's use. Have there really been reports of malfunctions with the lock? Thanks.

Phydeaux642
November 6, 2007, 03:20 PM
And, here we go::banghead:

The problem I see with this 642 "Club" is all the extraneous "checking in" material that does not add one iota of information to bullets, powder, weaponry information sharing, etc. In other words...too much B.S. and not enough content. Hell, if I were a THR mucky-muck, I'd probably round file 3/4 of the posts as well...THR is the club...not a specific weapon.

This is a problem, but it is okay for someone to ask "Which is the best 9mm?" twice a week over in the bottomfeeder section. The nice thing about the club was the information sharing and the comradry.
The "new" club has already changed.:cuss:

"Phydeaux, bad dog....no biscuit!"

Marshall
November 6, 2007, 03:41 PM
It was just another thread. :rolleyes:

There are other "club threads" too. No conspiracy, it was just getting too large.

pdevi
November 6, 2007, 03:44 PM
I am getting quoted a price of 410.00 out the door for a 442. Do you think this is a good price? ( Centennial Frame ) Thanks.

glockman19
November 6, 2007, 03:59 PM
I too am a little confused as to why such a successful, informative, well regarded thread was closed too. Perhaps Brian can chime in and explain WHY?

At Very least it should be Stickied as not to fall into oblivion.

just my .02 as a supporter of the thread, information shared and general Camaraderie of the individuals involved.

MassMark
November 6, 2007, 04:03 PM
There are other "club threads" too. No conspiracy, it was just getting too large.

And that hurts whom?

ranger58
November 6, 2007, 04:16 PM
pdevi, welcome to a great place for info, I bought mine and a friends at the same time from a fll friend, seems like 335 that was in the spring, 410 is not bad i believe.:)

R58

sixgunner455
November 6, 2007, 04:52 PM
bkastel --

People don't like being told that they can't have a revolver w/o a stupid lock that they don't use. It makes the mechanism more complicated, which increases the odds that it might fail. Some of them have failed. Then there is the likelihood that adding it makes the gun more expensive (more parts = more work to make the gun = more expensive).

Then there is the perception that some of the older ones were higher quality/fitted and finished better/etc. And the older ones are definitely less expensive most of the time. So there's a lot of reasons why people look for the non-locked ones.

Brian Williams
November 6, 2007, 05:41 PM
Quoted from fiVe's post above
Alone, I can’t keep the club alive, and I won’t try. It is up to the 642 Club Nation as a whole to make it happen. Again, the 642 Club is not what or where--it is who. I want things to continue and I hope you will all be here. The one thing that will make “Part 2” seem like home is to get back on subject. It’s all about that special, hammerless snubbie, and for me, the 642 in a Mika round-cut is still the best concealed carry configuration.

The Thread was closed because it was getting unwieldy to maintain and follow. I opened the new thread with the post from Five's Statement when the original thread hit 5000.
At one time We moderators were going to close all of the "Club" threads and we decided to keep the 642 Club as it was. It has grown to be quite a following and does contain a wealth of information. It will not "go away" it will still be on the board and is linked in the second post of this thread.
I am a member of this club and I am sorry that a few of you took offence with the closing of part 1 and this new thread starting. Well it will be easier to maintain in a smaller thread size and I was hoping it would remain a solid thread with some additional great info about the 642/442 Smith & Wesson Revolvers and the accessories that we as THR members have found that works and what does not.

Plug on 642 members and be glad it has part II

1BLINDREF
November 6, 2007, 05:54 PM
The "new" club has already changed. :cuss:
IMHO, It's because in the original 642 Thread the posts where helpfull and informative. So far, there has been alot of bitching and moaning about our old Thread being locked. Our original thread didn't have alot if any of that.

While I also wonder why the Mods would do this, there is really not a whole lot we can do about it other then PM them to find out why??
It's not as if they said that we would not be able to have a "Club" thread anymore.
The main reason our 642 Club thread was so successful was the wealth of information that the club members shared with each other.

I think we should go back to posting about how great our little mules are instead of complaining about the Mods locking our old thread.

I believe that if we respectfully ask that the original thread be stickied so all of the information will not be lost, the Mods and Oleg will do that for us.
JMHO :)

Nematocyst
November 6, 2007, 06:05 PM
I'm at work, and extremely busy, so I'll be brief.

I checked in earlier and learned about the bifurcation to Le Deux.
(I already think of it as "Re Deux", as in "redux", but that's another topic ...)

At first, I was shocked by the end of the other one (until I read Brian's post, and the link to this new one ...
I had only seen the lock on the thread in the table of contents).

However, seeing that it was Brian who made the shift, and trusting his judgment as a mod and a member of THR (knowing he's not prone to brash, irrational, unjust decisions), seeing that he not only offered up a spiffy title for the new cyberturf, but posted about his gun in it, not reading any warnings about too OT, or anything, the shock faded quickly, replaced by a mild concern or two, both of which have now dissipated (speaking only for myself).
[Added by edit: just read Brian's explanation, posted while I was writing this one. Sounds reasonable to me.]

Is the transition "good" or "bad", desirable or undesirable? Yes. Both, perhaps.

But, IMO, the "bad" will be a bit of momentary inconvenience, but no tragedy. I suspect it'll be "good". It may even encourage new folks in since it's not so intimidating for a read. We can always refer them to the archives for history ...

So, a few suggestions, off the top of my head: (remember: crazy busy, haven't thought through this carefully):

Let's immediately carry the good [I]great vibe from the old cyberhouse to this new one. I don't remember any significant bickering in the other one; let's set the same goal for ourselves in the new digs, especially up front here in the entry way. :cool:
I'd suggest that we start a thread in "technical help" to pursue discussions about whether size matters (<ahem> of a thread) in a technical way, or whether it's more of an aesthetic thing. I hope we can avoid too many tangents in this one about those kind of software etc technical questions.
One topic I'd like to ask in that thread is, could the old one be temporarily stickied so that a few of us can more easily find it to retrieve some articles that we left over there when the move was done while we slept? [Anybody seen my Bianchi speed strip? It's loaded with Speer GD 135s in JT-mode (2+3).]
As a challenge, each of us - especially those of us who've been in here for a while - could spend some time over the next few months re-reading the old thread, make a list of favorite posts, and post the list here (as another version of fiVe's 642-wiki/blog thing). The truly academic 642 heads will categorize them (ammo, repair, shooting tips, holster, best humor in da' house :D , etc, yada, etc .)
Let's remember that this "club" (thread) is about the gun, first and foremost. BUT, the camaraderie - the personal touches, that let us know the people who are here, that keep it informative, interesting and even fun - is what keeps a lot of us posting. After all, if there were no people, there would be no gun.

I've got a few other thoughts about the concept of "club (thread)", too, for either here or another thread (perhaps in GGD), but ... crazy busy right now. Back to work.

Long live 642 ReDeux.
Long live 642 owners.

Best,

Nem A. Tocyst
Esq. & 642-head

;)

Howaido
November 6, 2007, 06:41 PM
My dad was looking into ccw for the first time and wanted a recommendation for a gun to carry. He had mentioned a .45 colt derringer in passing some time ago. I didn't realize he was actually considering carrying one.

Well, long story short, he asked me what would be a good pistol for ccw. He def had a pocket gun in mind as I just can't see him holstering up.

Well, I am a former "club" member and have mucho respect for the 642.

So, after I cleared the cobwebs and figured out what he was asking me, I told him, "Here's what you want. A smith 5 shot revolver, stainless or blue. The one with the concealed hammer. You also want a couple boxes of 158gr +p LHPs. Win, Rem, or Fed will do. Then go to WalMart and get a few boxes of shooters."

I gave him a pic with model # off the smith website. After he does this stuff, we will practice the draw and shoot from 1-10 feet.

fiVe
November 6, 2007, 06:50 PM
RE: Post #34
Brian, thanks for your post and thanks for giving us Part 2.

Resuming kiNg fiVe role...

People, people! Part 1 will always be a part of us. We've had a change, but we can make it into a good thing. It is now time to get back on course.

And so it is decreed.....

kiNg fiVe

jt1
November 6, 2007, 08:03 PM
While I still have some reservations about this entire episode, I will let time tell the story and hope for the best. I urge all members both new and old to adapt as required and give no reason for any further Moderation. I ask only this:

Can we please have part 1 as a permanent sticky?

electrode1998
November 6, 2007, 08:35 PM
Hey ya'll,
I agree with five,nem.,and jt1. While I am sad to see the old thread closed I am happy Brian opened part 2 for us to continue.
I emailed Robert for my Mika round cut and it is about 4 weeks out. Looks like I have a stocking stuffer on the way!!!!
I will send pics and a range report when both happen eventualy.
I hope to keep seeing all of you on part 2 and see some new people.
E'trode

Harvster
November 6, 2007, 08:53 PM
I don't think anyone was going to loose sleep over part 1 being locked, I think many folks (myself included) just wanted some sort of 'splaining. Thank you Brian for clarifying. Now on to part two.

ardito40
November 6, 2007, 10:11 PM
I am really confused too! I decided to check in to my trusty 642 club and was sent on to part 2. I guess I can see how the technology part may have needed the transition. But will we still be able to access all the great info on the first half? A post that may not seem pertinent to me today may show to be quite valuable next week. This is most distressing.

On another note (I'm a musician, couldn't help the pun!), I will take my CCW class this Sat. Looking forward to it! My daughter has decided to sign up and take the class with me. While she owns a .45, I'll most certainly sing the praises (I know, music again!) of the mighty 642 to her. She did shoot it last weekend. I think she views it as too "lightweight", but we'll see how she feels after carrying her .45 for awhile! Perhaps she'll think twice about my "little" snubby!

Also, I ordered and received a "concealed carry" purse to carry my 642 in after I get my license. I'm not sure about it yet. Anyone out there know ladies who have tried these purses?

And yes, I know it's not the best option, which is why I also ordered the Mika pocket holster, but in many situations, that is going to be my only option. If only the clothing people would make appropriate clothing to fit women, especially those of us who are small of stature. Such as pants that are loose enough and have real pockets! Shoulder harness will work when I have jacket on, but what about casual? My traditional sweatpants certainly don't have large enough pockets!

glockman19
November 6, 2007, 10:16 PM
Brian,

Thank you for clarifying.

Once again, Please sticky the old thread for easy access. If the same people participate in part Dux, it will grow just as quickly and by my estimates be 1,000 posts strong in the next 90 days or less, one of my last posts to the origional thread chronicled the meteoric rise of post counts.

jt1
November 6, 2007, 10:20 PM
lanternlad1 - Glad to hear you got a good example with no issues, enjoy.

Tarwater - Welcome to the 642 Club. We are happy to have you with us. As far as ammo is concerned I am happy with the 158gr LSWCHP from Buffalo Bore as a carry round in both standard and +P. the 135 gr. Speer gold dot short barrel is also an excellent defense round. I use 158gr. wadcutters for live fire training and wax over primers for simulation. I have no experience with the Winchester +P JHP, but I will say that I would prefer to be on the primer end of one!

pdevi - $410.00 out the door is OK. Maybe not the best deal out there but probably the median going rate today. We are holding a spot open for you here, let us know how it works out.

Running Gunfight - Good advice...Where were you when I started my quest for a for CCW?

ardito40 - Have you looked at the Smartcarry/Thunderwear options? I know some here use them and seen happy with their performance.
Anyone up for providing a little review of this system?

ardito40
November 6, 2007, 11:21 PM
Brian - Thanks for the explanation. And the opportunity for Part 2! This "club" has such great information, friendly people, and all promote a worthy firearm.

ardito40
November 6, 2007, 11:33 PM
jt1 - as usual, thanks for the great info. I checked out the website.

jamz
November 6, 2007, 11:34 PM
Large single threads can do a number of vBulletin, especially in searching. I bet it might have been causing the search function to drag a bit. I was kinda surprised it went on as long as it did.

Anyway, It's part of history now, a good thread to look at, and we can continue it here. My (340) is right here in my jacket pocket. :)

Nematocyst
November 7, 2007, 12:46 AM
I'm 3/4 through my work day,
so on dinner break, I took some time to check in,
to see what the word on the street is about the transition.

All's quiet on the 642 front.

(Yep. Mine is right here on my right side, as always.)

[Still looking for that speed strip. :scrutiny: Anyone find it?]

Being a scientist, and official club pollster, I couldn't help doing a little research.
As you may know, if you go to a sub-forum (e.g. Handguns: Revolvers),
and click on "views", the listing will be rearranged with those threads
having greatest number of views on top, etc.

So, I clicked on views, and got the following listing.

Must be one of the first "closed" threads ever
to be listed on top with 289,871 views.

Open for business
on The High Road.

It doesn't get much better.

Carry on.

:cool:

fiVe
November 7, 2007, 01:46 AM
Must be one of the first "closed" threads ever
to be listed on top with 289,871 views.

Another first for THR from the 642 Club. I'm not surprised.

Nematocyst
November 7, 2007, 01:55 AM
I predict there will be more ...

Nem A. Tocyst

PS: Por favor, it's just "Nem".

There's no "a" at the end of "Nem".

"A" is my middle initial.

;)

jt1
November 7, 2007, 02:46 AM
Nem A. Tocyst - AKA Mr.Kinocilia, Mr.Stereocilia, and Mr. Microvilli, or Sir Ksm.

I am working on my holster. I like it. The 642 Special.

Hey, DA - Get yourself back in here!

Nematocyst
November 7, 2007, 03:00 AM
The SW 642 is a fine, small, ultralight SD revolvers.
It makes a fine accompaniment/bug for mods 686, 340, 65, 60, etc.

IMO, of course.

Nematocyst
November 7, 2007, 03:24 AM
It makes a fine accompaniment/bug to mods 686, 340, 65, 60, etc.

http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/smiley_worthless%20pics.gif

The walls in the new house are nice, but kinda bare. :scrutiny:

Hey, here's a pic we could hang.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=61157&d=1185071209

Title: Batman & Robin.
Subjects: 65 & 642.
Photographer: Nem A. Tocyst.
Prices:
Original: $642
Prints: $64.20
64.2% discount for club members

Added by edit: As readers will learn below, some good-natured "confusion" ;)
has arisen (even been created!) about that offer. Thus, just to make sure:
1) It's a joke. Nothing for sale. :D
2) If there was something for sale, it'd be an original photo and prints of it, not the guns pictured in the image. :rolleyes:
3) See 1. :p

glockman19
November 7, 2007, 03:27 AM
The Smith Family

Encore Presentation Comming Soon.......

Mongo the Mutterer
November 7, 2007, 07:36 AM
Also, I ordered and received a "concealed carry" purse to carry my 642 in after I get my license. I'm not sure about it yet. Anyone out there know ladies who have tried these purses?

ardito40, here is a suggestion. My wife has carried a Coronado Hobo (in black) for two years, and loves it. We went to the NRA convention in St. Louis this year and she looked through the CC purses, and still likes the Coronado.

The main reason is that she can lock the zipper for the gun pouch. When she leaves the purse (at work, home with friends, family functions) it is locked. When she exits her location she unlocks it with a key she wears around her neck and hides in her ample (!) :rolleyes: bosoms.

1BLINDREF
November 7, 2007, 09:43 AM
The walls in the new house are nice, but kinda bare.

Agreed!

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t307/dexternikki/Smiths/IMG_2393.jpg

Brothers with different fathers :scrutiny:

Boatman
November 7, 2007, 12:04 PM
642 questions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear 642ers:

(Someone suggested I pose these questions here. I found the original thread and saw that it was closed. I read many of the posts on that thread but I would prefer not to have to real through to find the answers to the questions below. If some of you experts could help me with these I would be most appreciative. Thanks)

First of all, I am not a "gun guru" and the only other gun I have is a Glock 17. I want to purchase a 642 because of its small, lightweight size and its dependability as a revolver. Can someone help me with these questions?

1. Are there various types of 642's? In some of the previous threads I see 642-1's, 642-2,s, etc. What does this mean?

2. I see some mention of lock and pre-lock models. What does this mean and is one better than the other one.

3. I went to my local gun store and looked at a stock 642 and a 642 with crimson trace laser grips. The latter seemed more comfortable in my hand, but it was also more expensive. Is the laser something worthwhile to have or would I be better off buying some type of aftermarket grip. Can I have your opinions on what grips to buy if you don't recommend the laser grips. Is the laser grip more difficult to conceal since the grip is larger?

4. I saw some mention of steel cylinders and titanium cylinders. Do I need to specify this when I purchase my 642.

5. What type of holster would you recommend?

I am glad I found this forum and I will let everyone know when I get my 642. Thanks to anyone who can give my your input on the above questions.

Ala Dan
November 7, 2007, 12:15 PM
I'm still hanging a'round, with my 442 and 642~! :cool: ;) :D

sixgunner455
November 7, 2007, 12:55 PM
Boatman:

1 - the 642, like all Smith & Wesson revolvers, has been updated from time to time. Every since they started using model numbers (about 1957, IIRC), when they update a model, they -1, -2, to differentiate between the updates. The 642-1 and -2 are +p capable, the 642 no dash will not thank you long term for +p.

2- The 642-2 has a keyed integral lock that prevents firing, but allows the gun to be loaded and unloaded normally. Some people don't like that lock, nor the fact that, currently, the gun is not available without it.

3- there are many, many different grips available. If you like the one with the lazer, great. Nobody else can pick your grip for you, since nobody else has your hand to use to pick it out with. If I were new to the snubby, and got a lazer grip, I would not shoot it with the lazer until I could hit reliably without it. Then I would learn the lazer and use it for low light shooting. My gun does not have a lazer. I use a flashlight instead.

4 - The 642 has a stainless steel cylinder and barrel, and aluminum alloy frame. Other models of S&W revolvers in the same frame size have titanium replacing some or all of the steel in some of those parts, to save weight. They'll kick harder and are much more expensive. I would not get one, but instead stick with the 640 (all steel, more weight) or 642.

5 - I use a Galco pocket holster, a Smartcarry deep concealment holster, and sometimes an Uncle Mike's pocket holster. I do not use a belt holster with this gun.

TonyB
November 7, 2007, 01:01 PM
going to the range in an hour and bringing the 642,mostly for a buddy to try,but after reading this,I'm gonna put some rounds through it too....

Dirtypacman
November 7, 2007, 01:14 PM
Just keeping in the mix - part 2.

jt1
November 7, 2007, 02:15 PM
The walls in the new house are nice, but kinda bare.

ALL - My new clubhouse warming gift:

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/jt1jt1/PB040003.jpg
The Standard Reference.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/jt1jt1/PB040030.jpg
Yes, I do - 24/7.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/jt1jt1/PB040009.jpg
My (unsgined :() edition.

Boatman
November 7, 2007, 02:23 PM
Thanks Sixgunner755

jt1
November 7, 2007, 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by Nem - WTS $642.00

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=61157&d=1185071209

OK, I'll give you $642.00 for both of them! With my 64.2% club discount, I think I finally got my good deal. :D

FireCaptDave
November 7, 2007, 04:10 PM
Does anyone have any experience with these folks? Prices look good and I like that their holster rides high and close (looks like the "Silver Dollar Pancake" is the one for J-frames.)

http://simplyrugged.com/index.html

Nematocyst
November 7, 2007, 04:25 PM
OK, I'll give you $642.00 for both of them! With my 64.2% club discount, I think I finally got my good deal. :D:uhoh: Oh, no ... wait ... I didn't mean ... er, I mean, no wait ... :uhoh:

:D

On another note, JT, when I looked at your house warming wall photos
(very nice, by the way; and so are B'ref's),
I realized that I've been remembering your "speed strip formula" incorrectly.
I've been calling a JT'ized speed strip a "2+3", but it's a "2 + 2".
Was it that way from the beginning, or have you changed it recently?

(Dang, I guess I'd better get back over and read the club archives and brush up on things ...
and maybe I can find my lost speed strip while I'm over there.)

ardito40
November 7, 2007, 05:59 PM
Mongo, thanks for the info. I just went and checked, and sure enough, my purse's concealed compartment also locks! I hadn't noticed that! Mine is from CCW Supply and is called "Elan". I haven't even had an opportunity to try my 642 in it yet (I'm a full-time college student). The purse is larger than I usually carry (I'm only 5'1"), but it has enough pockets and compartments to please me.

jt1 - Remember, I'm a newbie. In your 2nd "picture gift" to Nem I can, of course, identify the gun and the speed strip, but what are the rest? Also, I agree that you should take Nem up on his offer! Talk about a good deal! That's even better than I got!

Nem - Sorry, you put it in writing. We all saw it.

JIMNSC
November 7, 2007, 09:08 PM
I wanted to get in on page one too - but I get when you snooze - you lose!;)

fiVe
November 7, 2007, 10:12 PM
The 642 and its ancestor J-Frame, a Model 36-1 Chief's Special with 3" pinned barrel.

http://inlinethumb04.webshots.com/27779/2139386940102359920S600x600Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb05.webshots.com/27076/2940077520102359920S600x600Q85.jpg

jt1
November 8, 2007, 05:25 AM
Nem - The speed strip 2+3 was originally posted by symr00, it is here:
http://thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=2753560&postcount=913

I tried it and found I could do better with a 2+2 configuration, my original report is here: http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=3323146&postcount=2727

...you should take Nem up on his offer...Nem - Sorry, you put it in writing. We all saw it.

Nem - Post script edits? Not very high road, but it's ok. I just talked to Robert and canceled my new Batman and Robin round cuts. :D:D

ardito40 - About the photo, at the top is an E2D flashlight from Surefire. An excellent self-defense light, bright enough to temporarily blind a threat, and configured as a striking weapon as well. A really good flashlight is one of the best SD accessories you can have. To the right is a SOG PEII, a large primary knife. At the bottom is a Ka-bar TDI, this is a small weapon retention knife, to protect your primary weapon in CQC and as a back-up.

Nematocyst
November 8, 2007, 05:43 AM
Nem - Post script edits? Not very high road, but it's ok. I just talked to Robert and canceled my new Batman and Robin round cuts. :D :D:neener: ;)

blackwind Jeff
November 8, 2007, 05:46 AM
Chiming in again, never have much to say, but always lots to read. Glad to be a part of the old and new threads. Debating on whether or not to hang a pic of my 642 on the wall here, but you know what it looks like. Think I'd rather wait till it has a 442 with it, now that will be fun stuph.

If it hasn't been said already, here's something I noticed.
Nem from post #36:
At first, I was shocked by the end of the other one (until I read Brian's post, and the link to this new one ...
I had only seen the lock on the thread in the table of contents).
So, is the old 642 Club thread like a 642-2, and the new 642 Club thread like a 642-1? :D LOLZ (and I wear lollerskates)
If it has been said then I'm blind, and Nem, you're going to have to hook me up with your blackest coffee.

Ah, what the heck. How can I not be proud of my 642 especially with an SN like this: http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=64388&d=1190506694 Now if my name were Dave it would be cooler. Death & Vengeance? Well, I just got home from work and the first thing I thought of was actually Dental & Vision. Sleep is in order.

DAdams
November 8, 2007, 11:20 AM
Thanks for your kind words of encouragement. I have been around, just on a hiatus for a few days.

I have had my therapy :banghead: and am now Mod(errated). Ready to rejoin the general populace. :neener:

Dr. Nem A. Tocyst and I will be meeting periodically to get me over my rough spots. :cuss: Anger management, paranoia :uhoh:, and other associated psychosis. :evil:

The place is looking good and I like the style and artwork you have all selected. Must be HGTV is working.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/dmadams/642innards.jpg

The Engineer in me indicates we need a touch of Post Modern Industrial look.

fiVe
November 8, 2007, 12:26 PM
DA!

So glad you're here.

jt1
November 8, 2007, 01:13 PM
DA - Great to have you home. We'll hang that photo in the gun room! And on that note I propose that all members and lurkers who have not checked-in with us here at Club 642.2(beta)...please do so... RoLL Call!

glockman19
November 8, 2007, 01:34 PM
DA, Glad you found us. Nice pic.

Brassman
November 8, 2007, 02:51 PM
I'm here. Just reading and pondering,...... waiting still for my Mika to arrive. I just hope it rides slightly lower in the pocket than the Nemisis did. That's the reason I switched to the Pocket Defender (leather) from K&D Holsters. Nothing yet has beat the Nemisis on the draw, but too much of the grip showed at the top of most of my pockets. Still having some trouble with presentation from the Defender holster in that it holds the weapon too tightly. The round cut Mika has to be better since everyone here generally swears by them.

DAdams
November 8, 2007, 03:23 PM
The round cut Mika has to be better since everyone here generally swears by them.

Who is a square (kind of guy). Anyone have both and can comment on which makes a better... low ride dah....rides a little slowa.:cool:

What grip is on it B'Man? You are not trying to low ride a Monogrip are ya?

DAdams
November 8, 2007, 04:02 PM
You posed an interesting question. DeSantis Nemesis vs. Mika Roundcut.
Which rides lower?

Let me set this up. First off the DeSantis Nemesis I used was originally purchased to fit a Karh PM 9. This Nemesis does fit the S&W J Frame well though. The "642" is 'bottomed out' in the Nemesis, maybe even more so than in real life use.

Personally I prefer the Mika because
a) It seems to break up the pocket print better
b) The Mika is much faster than the DeSantis in clearing leather (vinyl).

Both grips in the photo are CT 405s so the dimensions are relative. One J frame is a 642 the other a 442. (Not really, the "642" is a M&P 340 but let's pretend for the sake of the "Club". Trust me, :rolleyes: they are the same identical frame size.

I used a T-Square (anyone else remember this ancient tool) to level things out.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/dmadams/PB090003.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/dmadams/PB090004.jpg

It is then observed that in this not so exacting experiment, but hey not bad for a 15 minute set-up despite I have a day job (believe it or not) the 642 sets slightly lower in this Desantis by about 1/4 inch. Your results may vary. Not valid in the District of Columbia or Illinois.

You might confirm to see how low your 642 sets in a Nemesis designed for it vs this one supposedly designed for the PM 9. Who knows they may be the identical piece.

I don't think the cut, round or square would make a difference. I think what you need is deeper pockets. ;)

jt1
November 8, 2007, 04:05 PM
FireCaptDave - While I have no experience with the Simply Rugged holster folks, their products look to be well made and they sound like they are good people to deal with from what I read on their website.

http://simplyrugged.com/index.html

Brassman
November 8, 2007, 04:24 PM
The Mika is for the M&P 340 which still has the factory Hogue rubber bantams on it. My wife totes the 642 in the Nemisis in her purse. She loves the Monogrip, but I really like the bantams on the M&P 340. If the Mika is to my liking, I may upgrade to some wood bantams later.

Brassman
November 8, 2007, 04:37 PM
The order of my last post seems out of place. I was typing a reply to your question and was detained by a parent/teacher conference for about 15 minutes.

I guess what you are trying to demonstrate to me is that the Nemesis and the Mika will cause the weapon to ride inside the pocket to about the same height. It even looks from your experiment that the Nemesis would cause the weapon to actually sit a little lower in the pocket than the Mika. Is that correct?

And yep, I guess I do need some deeper pockets, especially if I have to keep buying new holsters to get what I want. :uhoh:
The K&D Defender is an open-ended holster that lets the barrel of the weapon go into the holster completely. There is no stitching at the end to push the weapon up further in the pocket, but I'm still having presentation problems as it holds the weapon too tightly. I thought maybe this would improve as it got broken in, but I have had the holster for about 3 months and I see no change.

Howaido
November 8, 2007, 05:44 PM
Running Gunfight - Good advice...Where were you when I started my quest for a for CCW?

If it was in the past ten years or so: Working, in a bar, training, or sleeping. :)

After letting my dad into the club, I am considering re-joining myself. When I got rid of my 642, it was an act of discipline, so that I would carry the 19 instead of the 642. If I get a 642 again, I will end up carrying the little bugger. :rolleyes:

DAdams
November 8, 2007, 06:01 PM
I guess what you are trying to demonstrate to me is that the Nemesis and the Mika will cause the weapon to ride inside the pocket to about the same height. It even looks from your experiment that the Nemesis would cause the weapon to actually sit a little lower in the pocket than the Mika. Is that correct?

That is correct. But remember the Nemesis I have may not be the same one you have so the results may vary.

In any event I think you will like it no break in to speak of. Nice wide mouth, easy in and easy out.

Wives with 642s and men with 340s we have much in common. ;)

RichieT
November 8, 2007, 06:42 PM
Hey,

Just wanted to let the club know I received my Mika pocket holster today and it is everything I expected and more. Thanks for the tip on this handy pocket holster. I ordered it on Monday, October 01, 2007 and received it on Thursday, November 8th, 2007. Not bad turn around time considering this is a hand made item. Nice quality! Fit's great in the jeans pocket, hides the piece well. I am no longer a sheep!

RichieT

ShootinDave
November 8, 2007, 10:09 PM
I just picked up a 638....... close enough for the 642 club?

fiVe
November 8, 2007, 10:21 PM
I just picked up a 638....... close enough for the 642 club?

Yep. Come on in!

Nematocyst
November 8, 2007, 11:34 PM
Dr. Nem A. Tocyst and I will be meeting periodically to get me over my rough spots. Anger management, paranoia, and other associated psychosis. Oh, my.

Now, that's a bit like relying on a fuel injection specialist to work on your brakes. Trust me on this one: bad idea. :uhoh:

{Tangent re this "Dr." thing. Just to be clear:
biologists with PhD's and physicians are both called "Dr".
Question: What's the difference?
Answer: Both can take living things apart,
but only one can put them back together again. :D}

On the other hand, if you need someone to help move that fridge from the old house into this new one, give me a shout.

Nice to have the MSAA back on deck.

Just taking a short break from a very intense work day (heading towards one of those 12 hour days ...).

Stuck my nose into the club house, finding peace, good vibes, lots of gun talk
(which gun again? oh, right, ultralight J-frames ... 642, 442, 640, 637 ... yes, yes, OK, 340 ... ).

All's well in the club. Seems like we're mostly back to normal (what ever that is :what: )
even if a few regulars aren't checking in much yet. Nice to see some new faces ... er, user names.)

OK, back to work for a while.

Stay chill; have fun; learn lots.

Dr. Nem, biologist

http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/smiley-ren.gif

ardito40
November 9, 2007, 01:00 AM
Just stopping by for a quick chat. I think the professors at school are trying to slowly drive us students crazy. Maybe not so slowly. Only a month left in the semester, so they all are giving tests, assigning projects, papers, etc. :banghead:

My daughter and I will be taking our CCW class this Saturday. I will, of course, have my trusty little 642 with me. Looking forward to it, even if it is 12 hours long!

RichieT - Congrats on the new holster! I am jealous! I ordered mine in late Oct. Looks like I have a few weeks to wait.

Finally got around to checking out my new purse last night. Not only does it lock (Thanks Mongo), the holster hidden inside is velcroed in and can be set at whatever angle works best for gun and person. My Beloved's concern is that since it is a "generic" holster, it seems to "swallow up" my 642, allowing it to fall too fall into the holster. When removing the gun, you can only get hold of the grip, causing you to shift the gun after removal. His solution was to run a line of stitching along "nose" of the grip and thereby holding the gun farther out in a better position to grab and go. Opinions?

Hope you're all having a WONDERFUL evening!

Nematocyst
November 9, 2007, 02:38 AM
[Added by edit]

These days, I find myself editing my posts a bit more than usual.

I'm trying to honor our new thread by staying on topic to the extent possible and comfortable, especially here in early pages. We want to set good precedents, and not risk having a fine gun thread shut down by getting too OT. (No telling what it'll look like around page 59 or so, though ... )

So, in retrospect, my original post now seems kinda OT. Only indirectly related to 642. And, I know that Ardi - to whom it was mostly written concerning her lament about being busy with studies - has read it and responded. (Nice response; enjoyed reading it.)

So, as much fun as it was to write, I've taken mine down (stored safely on hard drive so it can appear on some future page somewhere) and will replace the larger text with the following brief summary, and the last two lines of the original.
_________

Synopsis: Somewhat loosely, very metaphorically, with a pinch of humor, and with MUCH respect for Marines, I compared the actions of college professors overburdening students with assignments and exams to a Marine drill instructor. Both must to some extent "strongly challenge" a student (to a point just this side of "breaking") before effectively training them to deal with chaotic, "real world" situations.

(Then, the last two lines from the original)

Kind of like a "situation" on the street
where a bug must be employed.

Of course, if more profs wore [B]642s (etc),
the campus would be safer against nut jobs,
but that's another post ...

ardito40
November 9, 2007, 03:22 AM
Shootin Dave - 380 on this thread? HHHHHHmmmmmmm, we'll have to think about that. ("Huddle huddle, whisper, tee hee, whisper.")
OK, the club has dedidd you can just us on 2 conditions: You need to post picture of said infidel on thread.

2nd we challenge you not to get jealous from seeing all the Wonderful "real" guns posted here. Hey! Wipe that drool off your chin! No DROOLING until you get your own! Then it is not only OK, but perfecly normal around here!.

Fear not! I'm sure, from the posts I've read, you'll soon have a real gun before too long! The guys might even be generous and lead you toward one. Having been the "middle woman" so to speak, I will expect my usual 10%

So ladies and gents, grab your drool towel, your favoirite 642, watch some TV, while gently carassing her.... I mean cleaning your sweet little huney. THe gun, guys, the gun!

Back to the books for me. I'll drop by another day.

The perfect start to a new day! I'm upright and breathing.

ardito40
November 9, 2007, 03:42 AM
Nem - I bow to your great wisdom and have also removed my overly OT post. My apologies to all.

Hoping to post pictures of my "little snubby" with her new purse soon.

Smile! Makes people wonder what you've been up to!

jt1
November 9, 2007, 03:47 AM
UM...hey...Ardi...:scrutiny:

Model: 638
Caliber: .38+P
Capacity: 5 Rounds
Barrel Length: 1 7/8"
Front Sight: Integral Front
Rear Sight: Fixed
Grip: Rubber Grips
Frame: Small - Bodyguard Style
Finish: Matte
Overall Length: 6 3/8"
Material: Alloy
Weight Empty: 15 oz.

Nematocyst
November 9, 2007, 03:49 AM
1894C
SOG Seal Pup
Benchmade Osborne

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=66917&stc=1&d=1194594193

Couldn't help but notice, it's post 6037.

jt1
November 9, 2007, 04:00 AM
ShootinDave - Get yourself and that humpback in here. Glad to have you.

Harvster
November 9, 2007, 07:52 AM
Don't know if this has been discussed (search doesn't like me this morning), but does anyone else think the 642 suffers from an ugly trigger. Among the luster of the alloy and steel of the frame and cylinder sits this trigger that looks like a hunk of cheap pig iron. It is dull and sorta brown looking. Anyone else think this?

ShootinDave
November 9, 2007, 07:58 AM
i'll try to get a pic of the S&W family soon.......

DAdams
November 9, 2007, 08:33 AM
S&W

Sure nothing wrong with ole Quazimoto. Just has a hump placement complex.

Welcome from me to you, Richie T and Running GF.

Aha, nice photo Dr. Nem. The man of a single calibre. What does that Marlin shoot.....38 or 357? Love them levers. See you got your Bianchi oriented to the proper jt1 configuration. ;)

Harvster. Right you are. Butt ugly trigger. MIM part. Wouldn't it be nice it was a machined steel, case hardened and colored trigger?
Then you would have to charge another $5. It looks like the MIM trigger is used even on the new retro models 36 and 40.

Brassman
November 9, 2007, 09:28 AM
Where's the 336? I know where the 39A is, but where's it's big brother?

Brassman
November 9, 2007, 09:34 AM
By the way, the Mika came in yesterday.:D I believe it should do the trick! It does put the weapon a little higher in the pocket than my Pocket Defender, but it sure is easier to draw from and does not come out of the pocket on the draw. The M&P 340 is riding in it right now, but not in my pocket, since I'm at school and that would be contraband.

It took approximately 3 weeks to arrive. That's pretty good for all his back log of orders, I think.

S.O.D.
November 9, 2007, 09:45 AM
Robert must send his holsters out in batches, because I got mine yesterday, along with RichieT and Brassman. I know it has been said, but it is so classy that he signs the inside.

fiVe
November 9, 2007, 10:56 AM
S.O.D, RichieT and Brassman: welcome to the "Mika" club. Robert Mika is just too cool.

fiVe
November 9, 2007, 11:29 AM
Where's the 336? I know where the 39A is, but where's it's big brother?

Yeah. You can't show partiality, Nem. :confused:

jt1
November 9, 2007, 02:33 PM
Just out of curiosity, why did S&W make the trigger so ugly on the little snubbie? I wish it was shiny or the same color as the pistol. I am always thinking I did not clean it good enough or that it is rusting.

Harvster - Is this the ultimate database or what? As you can see it's hard to ask a question that has not been addressed. As DA correctly states it's the MIM situation. (not poor revolver hygiene as I was once accused of by... we won't say who...DA) As I review the original thread I come to realize that most of the data we have amassed applies to all j-frames and many other revolvers in general and not just X42's. This is valuable resource for the entire S&W community and we continue to add to it. (I also notice it's not sticked yet :() It's worth the time to read, or reread it, I review it often.

ardito40 - On the issue of your holster purse (this is a new topic for the database) I looked at your Elan model at the site and agree the solution is to adjust the fit of the internal holster to better match the shape of you gun to present it at your desired position for draw. The question is how far back does the gun compartment go? You don't want it to fall out when you open the zipper, but you don't want it too secure either. This is like most other holster systems no matter the type. They all take getting used to and after some practice you will become proficient, the key word here is practice, you can be very fast with any system if you work at it. One thing to think about is that you don't necessarily have to remove the gun at all to use it, if the compartment goes all the way through (or even if it doesn't) you can shoot right through the purse if you have too. This is the really good thing about a hammerless or a shrouded revolver. In CQC you can point shoot without drawing the gun and that should be incorporated into your training. (buy a practice purse :D)

Nematocyst
November 9, 2007, 05:40 PM
Interesting point about the trigger. It's funny, I guess I'd never paid attention to it before. But now that you folks bring it up, you're right: it's ugly. Just doesn't fit with the rest of the gun.

Which raises a question: are there after market replacements that could be installed if one wanted to? I probably won't. My 642 is a utility tool. As long as it does its job, I'm not overly concerned about it's appearance. (Well, to a point. I like to keep it clean and even "polished" - wiped down - but it's already showing a few minor signs of wear from holster in/out. That doesn't bother me. )

Alternatively, is there a treatment for the trigger - some kind of polish or coating - that would spiff it up a bit?

Where's the 336? I know where the 39A is, but where's it's big brother?Thanks for asking. (Wow, we get to know each other well enough to ask about our other guns. This really is a community.)

My 336 normally sits in my "gun safe" just a couple of feet from the '94C, which is outside. The '94C is my go to long gun these days (since I sold the 870). I wear the 642 daily, but if something goes bump in the night, I grab the '94C stoked with .357 mag (to answer DA's query). Such a sweet, sweet little carbine.

I think of that trio - '94C, 65, 642 - as my go to trio for SD, where as my 39A and 336 are hunting weapons. That (crummy) photo I posted last night was a quick shot I did of the SD trio (plus my "go to" knives) since the club is definitely about SD weaponry rather than hunting.

Once I get the 39A back from the shop (any year now), get the XS GR sites (and hopefully scout scope) on the 336 *, then I'll take a family photo of the whole levers & wheels gang.

[* By edit: actually, the GRs are already on the 336, but not sighted in yet since I put the new front post on that XS sent to replace the original that was too short.]

glockman19
November 9, 2007, 06:02 PM
I have buffed my trigger out with a dremmel with a buffing pad, lewelry polish and a polishing rag. It doesn't look bad. If I can take a picture of it I will.

firemedic4
November 9, 2007, 10:28 PM
Just picked up my new 642 on the way to work today, and own a model 36 that is it for revolvers. I will post pic. when I get home from the firehouse. Also my first post on the forum, been scanning the 642 pages for a bit, I can't wait to get out and shoot it. This will be my carry when I don't have my Glock 27, or as a BUG.

Oh ya $350 new and shipped to my FFL!!

jt1
November 9, 2007, 11:04 PM
glockman19 - I have been thinking of doing just the same to my trigger, pic's would be great.

firemedic4 - Welcome to the 642 Club, good to have you here with us. A 642 and a 36, what more could you need? Get a Mika and leave the BF's in the safe. Good price too, seems you new folks are getting really good deals :)

S&W, a bargin at any price.

ardito40
November 10, 2007, 12:05 AM
jt1 - Glad I could provide a new topic for you guys. The compartment is huge compared to the gun. (approx. 12" W x 8 H") It does go completely through to the inside edge from the zipper side. I could actually put at least 6 holstered 642s in it.

I will continue practicing with the purse and am sure I'll figure out the best position for the holster.

As for buying a practice purse for shooting through, this one's a bit too expensive for that! jt, you crack me up!

Thanks for the advice. Always appreciate the education I get here.

fiVe
November 10, 2007, 12:17 AM
ardito40 is hereby appointed the Official 642 Club Women's Issues Correspondent/Consultant. (This purse thing is a totally new path that should be traveled.)

jt1
November 10, 2007, 01:03 AM
As for buying a practice purse for shooting through... jt, you crack me up!

ardito40 - I am quite serious about this. It is a valid exercise and one you may very easily encounter. I know we have a lot of fun here at the 'ole clubhouse, but behind it is the reality of what CCW is all about. This is from a while back:

... It brings up some very valid issues that are sometimes overlooked or forgotten as we conduct our day to day lives. The fact of the matter is that if we are ever involved in a SD situation it will more that likely involve close combat with little or no warning. While the referenced thread deals primarily with weapons retention, which is of course important, perhaps even more to the point is the issue of situational awareness. Live these days seems hectic and filled with distractions and it is easy to loose track of your surroundings, especially if it is a routine activity or familiar location and you are sort of on autopilot while thinking about other things. When things go bad it's not good to be the last one to know about it. You stand a much better chance of successfully reducing a threat when you are aware and prepared to be proactive than when you must react to a situation, especially when it is up close and you have little or no maneuver space. Another good thing brought up in the thread is point shooting. I practice this every time I shoot or dry fire. Weapon close into the body, protected by the off-hand, engaging single and multiple threats at zero to ten feet or so. I run this drill both strong and weak. A good variation is to conduct this drill from the kneeling, sitting, and grounded (sides and back) positions as you never know how you will end up and if you have never engaged from a degraded position under stress it is a real eye opener. Most folks will shoot way low from these positions even at close range. I also practice obstructed engagement. You might not have time to clear your cover garments or pocket, I shoot through my jacket and pants pocket and even my holster (sorry, mika) every now and again from a degraded position and I know I can do it if I have to. (be very careful with this, dry fire a lot if you try it for real. We trained with BB pistols first and I shot myself more than once). The whole idea here is to try and prepare for the unexpected. Stay alert and be aware of your surroundings. Vary your weapons training with anything you can come up with that makes sense to you. Realize that no matter what scenario you envision if you ever need to use your SD skills it will probably be very different than you have imagined and you will instantly revert to instinct and training. There is a conditioning drill called self-offense, but I think I'm going off topic here so we will leave it at this...

Nematocyst
November 10, 2007, 05:15 AM
This purse thing is a totally new path that should be traveled.I'd like to suggest that we take this one step further.

Let's consider expanding the concept of "purse" (suggesting a woman's item) to "shoulder bag" (which could be carried by either gender).

Background. Several times in my life, even though I'm a guy, I've carried my belongings needed everyday in a bag slung from my shoulder.

The first one was just a backpack that I carried (most often) using just one of its two straps. Going back and forth to class, I'd just sling it over one shoulder with one strap. Easy. Very common for students to do this. Still see it all the time.

But that extra strap is just in the way (unless you often put it on as a full backpack), and it doesn't really carry that well. The design doesn't let it "hang" well with one strap. The design forces all the weight to bear down on that one shoulder, so that when filled with a heavy load, one shoulder gets fatigued after a long walk.

Then, in some alternative shop near campus, I found a very simple transport device: a large zipper bag with a single strap meant to sling over one's shoulder, usually over the head. (OK, this is hard to explain, so work with me here ...) Here's a bag that looks like a backpack, but it has only one strap. Lift it up, put your head through that one strap, so when it comes down, the weight is carried on one shoulder. The design of the bag is such that the main bag rides behind your back, in the small of your back comfortably. The weight is distributed in a way that doesn't cause fatigue, and allows comfortable carry when walking, running, and bike riding. With a little tug, it slides to your side for quick, easy access.

I carried that bag for years. Inside was a sweater, rain jacket, lunch, notebook, etc. I even hiked with it on occasion.

I finally wore it out. (Zipper broke, and a hole wore into the fabric.)

I've searched for a replacement single-strap bag for years. In the last year, I've wanted to find one that would easily accommodate a handgun (642, 65, etc), preferably with a built in handgun compartment that would be easily and quickly accessible, to the point that while walking through sketchy neighborhoods, one could have the shooting hand inside the bag on the grip for that instant "bang" if necessary.

I've seen some interesting ones. REI makes a single strap bag that could work, but the way it's designed makes it hang on my left side (I'm a righty), and thus access is not quick.

Maxpedition makes one called Moonson (http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=11) that looks promising in terms of capacity, ruggedness, external gear attachment points (there's a tactical name for those, but I forget), compartments (even got a water bottle holder), but I don't get the sense that access to the handgun would be quick.

Any thoughts? Anyone tried the Moonson? Any other single strap shoulder haulers out there?

I've even considered just designing one myself and hiring a seamstress to build it using some rugged pack material.

Nem

electrode1998
November 10, 2007, 11:41 AM
Hey firecaptdave,
I do not have any expierence with the holsters you posted, but they look a little bulky for CCW. They look well made and I realy like the ammo pouch for the speed strips. I have been looking for a pouch like that so I might order one or two to try them out.
My pockets are getting kind of full between phone,keys,642,speed strips,money(when I have it),etc.

I am looking at the desantis S.O.B. holster for winter carry. I have a gift card I can use at cabela's so it would be a freebe for me to try it out. If I get it I'll post pics and let ya'll know what I think.

I just wish it came in black. Have any of ya'll used this holster before? I am courrios about the holster wearing on the finish since it is unlined.

thanks,
e'trode

Mongo the Mutterer
November 10, 2007, 12:57 PM
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/2715/20071110642club0001smaljp5.jpg

http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/6384/20071110642club0006smalde6.jpg

Just a portion of the ammo (most in sealed boxes) I picked up from my father-inlaw. Vintage,eh?

All in a .50 cal can from a buddy of his for $25.

Mongo happy!!! :D:D

fiVe
November 10, 2007, 02:12 PM
Nem: Would Coronado Leather (www.coronadoleather.com) have what you are looking for? They specialize in vests, jackets, purses, backpacks, etc. with accommodations for concealed firearms.

Mongo: Great find. How many rounds total?

ranger58
November 10, 2007, 03:30 PM
welcome. was that a online place you bought your 642 from, a new member, pdevi, a friend of mine asked about prices had only one reply. thanks for any input.:)

R58

DAdams
November 10, 2007, 03:52 PM
I've even considered just designing one myself and hiring a seamstress to build it using some rugged pack material.

Maybe when jt1 gets finished with his cross draw holster for driving he can make one for you.

I'll bet he is watching football on the weekends and sewing up a storm. ;)

Somewhere back in the archives I think we did some cover on fanny packs, man bags (there were no women around then save one) front packs etc.

Here is one of my favorite statements. Sorry about the bottom feeder. It could just as easily be a J Frame.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/dmadams/MMMwwwfriendly.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/dmadams/GoblinAll.jpg

Nem didn't you get a Camelback Goblin? With the very covert pocket for CC?

Starting from largest and working our way down. This one always is an attention getter while walking through the mall. :D http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/dmadams/360000224_large.jpg Great for those big hauls. Very green. "Paper, Plastic, or Ballistic Nylon"?

I rather like this style. Very business like if you get my drift. :eek:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/dmadams/safe_seat2.jpg
It also rides next to you in the car through the seatbelt.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/dmadams/safe_car3.jpg
"Hey lady, what do you mean you don't want your windshield washed!"

Safepacker.
http://store.thewilderness.com/index.php?cPath=51

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/dmadams/P3200055.jpg

Nite Ize spin on the tourist bag, this can be worn around the waist or slung over the shoulder with a strap. Shown with 642s older brother the venerable 686 CS1 3 inch.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/dmadams/P3200004.jpg

Nite Ize has plenty of room for a 642 plus other essential goodies. Shown for scale with L Frame .357.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/dmadams/botach_1973_35906974.jpg
http://www.botachtactical.com/majuve.html
Maxpedition Versapak should hold your fleece. This is a new one and larger than the prior versions. Comes in black also. $69.
http://www.botachtactical.com/majuve.html

Here is a smaller version with a rain hood.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/dmadams/P3200013.jpg

Look what we have here.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/dmadams/P3200010.jpg

firemedic4
November 10, 2007, 04:03 PM
welcome. was that a online place you bought your 642 from, a new member, pdevi, a friend of mine asked about prices had only one reply. thanks for any input.

R58

It was on AR15.com seller was 1999cobra, it was new. Pics to come soon...

Nematocyst
November 10, 2007, 04:06 PM
Mongo, nice score. Congrats. All .38 spec?

E'trode, I carry my 642 in a Desantis Speed Scabbard (black), which looks similar to the SOB. I like it a lot. Retention is great; tension is adjustable with the bolt. And the SOB is available in black, albeit directly from Desantis (maybe not from Cabellas though).

[Added by edit: forgot to address the effect of an unlined holster on gun finish. Yes, it will have an effect. I notice a couple of minor "scuff" marks on my 642 after about a year of daily carry. I've been assuming that they were from holster in/out. But on more careful inspection, I see the marks are on the cylinder, which is stainless. I suspect they're developing from rotation in the receiver, not the holster. I'd post some pics, but they're so faint they just won't show up without using my better film camera and some good lighting.]

FiVe, I just spent some time on that Coronado page. Their products look very nice. Classy. Unfortunately, after looking through all the "hand bag" selection, I don't see the one I'm looking for. Those with a wider shoulder strap all look a bit too small for me. I'm looking for something with a fairly large main compartment that I can stuff a fleece sweater into. And I actually prefer pack cloth to leather in this case. But thanks for the suggestion.

I suspect I'm going to have to have one custom made.

Nem

Nematocyst
November 10, 2007, 04:19 PM
Nem didn't you get a Camelback Goblin? With the very covert pocket for CC?DA, no I don't own a Camelback.

All those look good, but again, looking specifically for a shoulder carry bag with a wide strap and a large main compartment big enough for a fleece sweater. Something sleek that wraps around my back and side for easy carry.

I might start a thread in Handguns: General Discussion to reach a wider audience with the query.

fastbolt
November 10, 2007, 05:25 PM
I kinda' feel like the kid who came home and found that his family had picked up and moved ... :uhoh:

New thread, huh?

Okay ...

BTW, I'm getting closer to deciding to order a new M40 in nickel early next year. I miss my older nickeled M36 and I'd like to add another steel J-frame to my 'working' collection. A new Lemon-Squeezer might be just the thing ...

I will, of course, continue to keep and frequently use my 642-1. ;)

Harvster
November 10, 2007, 05:30 PM
Second trip to the range last night. Sixty-five rounds of primarily Remington FMJ. Once again the recoil didn't seem too bad. After 65 I could feel a twinge in my primary knuckle of my trigger finger. I didn't notice anything an hour or so later. I did notice that shooting at a black bullseye target (red center) at 15 yards that I tended to loose the front sight. At times all I saw was gray. I really need to paint my sights to get a little contrast. I also seem to shoot more accurately at seven yards than at five yards. Not sure why that is, but I struggled hitting a post-it note at five yards. Anyway,I can't wait to go back.

Mongo And to think people have struggled for centuries trying to turn lead into gold.

Nematocyst
November 10, 2007, 05:59 PM
OK, I'm supposed to be working, but this caught my eye.

...I'm getting closer to deciding to order a new M40...First, welcome back FB.

Second, I'd never looked at a 40 before. I've held a 36, and liked it, but have never paid attention to the 40. Not sure I really knew it existed, and certainly wasn't aware of it's history in the snub line.

So, I went to the SW site and read about it (http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=64978&langId=-1&isFirearm=Y).

Then, I found an interesting article at "The Snubnose Files" about centennial snubs (http://www.snubnose.info/docs/m640.htm),
including the 642. Very useful overview with some good history (at least for me).

One question is probably kinda dumb, but I gotta ask since SW's page doesn't mention it at all. Is the back strap grip safety on the new 40s still functional? I don't understand why it wouldn't be, but also can't understand why the web page developers at SW wouldn't have at least mentioned it in their (very uninformative) general description or tech specs. That's a pretty major feature on a revolver that they should inform potential buyers about.

If so, that would substantially limit the selection of grips that could be put on it, right? For example, I'm guessing Hogue full monogrips wouldn't work.

OK, I gotta go work now.

glockman19
November 10, 2007, 06:06 PM
Nem,
I too am considering a 640. It would be nice to have the extra power when necessary in the same package plus I like the stainless.

I found them for a good price at:
Name: Tin Star Shooting Range
State: OK
Phone Number: 580-774-0396
FFL Dealer: FFL Dealer
$483

DAdams
November 10, 2007, 07:19 PM
All those look good, but again, looking specifically for a shoulder carry bag with a wide strap and a large main compartment big enough for a fleece sweater. Something sleek that wraps around my back and side for easy carry.

Check back to the bag post above I see the Maxpedition folks now have an even larger version than previously. Black, Green and Tan. @ $69 that looks like a nice bag.

Here is a link to a kidney shaped one that is not as "tactical" looking.

http://www.botachtactical.com/fmr.html

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/dmadams/botach_1851_41035219.jpg

I read somewhere the safety system on the "new" lemonsqueezer is functional. Nope, no Hogues for you. Said in best Soupnazi accent.

sixgunner455
November 10, 2007, 09:27 PM
I kinda' feel like the kid who came home and found that his family had picked up and moved ...

LOL!! That actually happened to me! I was at Scout Camp for a week, and when the leaders took me home to drop me off, the house was completely empty.

Had them take me over to my uncle's house on the other side of town. Still don't know exactly why we moved that time, but we'd moved towns and got into a very different house.

Carried my 642 in my pocket today, while I was out to plink with some friends and .22s. Found a freshly abandoned car in a ravine. Didn't get to shoot much, as we were waiting for the county deputy to show up and look over the thing. Was stolen.

ardito40
November 10, 2007, 11:57 PM
fiVe - Thanks for the support on the women's issues, i.e. purse, etc. It really is more difficult for a woman to carry on their person than for a man. If you look around at most women's clothing, whether business or casual, you will see a huge difference in cut, fit, and style. With the exception of the options available when wearing a jacket, most other clothing just doesn't allow for it.

jt1 I understand the practicality of a practice purse. Just not the same one. The post you quoted was very interesting. Thanks.

Harvster I've noticed the same thing about losing the front sight after a while. Is there a special paint for that purpose? Or just any paint?

Daughter and I just returned from our CCW class. We both passed with flying colors. My 642 shot straight and true, as always. The instructor was quite impressed with both my daughter's and my accuracy. (She used her Colt .45)

Another lady in the class, about 50 yrs. old, who had only been to the range once before, also had a 642 but with regular grips. She, too, did quite well.

I'm really beginning to like this little gun. The trigger is getting easier to pull. I'm sure it's a combo of strengthening my finger and breaking the gun in.

Thanks for all the help!

aguyindallas
November 11, 2007, 12:28 AM
Mine is still very much apart of my daily carry. She rides in my pocket and I have had her about a year and a half. She has a lot of pocket holster wear and you can tell she has some miles. Lots of "shine" in the high spots. This is the gun that I hope to have (albeit looking ragedy) 25 years from now that has seen a lot of miles and lots of wear which I will chalk up to character marks.

RichieT
November 11, 2007, 12:53 AM
Has anyone had to replace the battery in the laser for the 642?

Do you keep the switch "on" all the time on the 642 and if so, will it run the battery down?

BTW, my Mika S&W J-Frame holster fits great in the inside pocket of my Levis dennim jacket, as well as my front pocket. What a wonderful holster.

ardito40
November 11, 2007, 01:01 AM
RichieT My CT grips are only a month or so old, so I haven't replaced yet. But the manual says they last about 4 hours of use time and that leaving it on or turning it off makes no difference in battery wear. I keep mine off since I haven't got it sighted in correctly yet.

sixgunner455
November 11, 2007, 01:11 AM
ardito40 -- Whenever I paint the sights on a pistol, I use nail enamel. Yes, fingernail polish. It's very durable, is inexpensive, and comes in a variety of colors, so I can figure out what combination I need to use for that gun.

jfh
November 11, 2007, 01:25 AM
Which I kind of did when I bought a 640 and a M&P340 back in May--but yesterday, I found the shop had sold the SA P9C-.40 S&W subcompact I had left there on consignment!

That allowed me to pick up a used 442 they had in the case. I had ended up wanting a 38 Spl-only j-frame for shooting. I've been analyzing the chrono results from 'replica-load' development this summer, and I've discovered the reloads done as 38Spl have much smaller SDs than the '357 Magnum-lite' loads I built.

So, we'll see what this one is like. FWIW, these are loads based on the Speer data for the 135-gr. Short Barrel JHP, the 38+P version that does about 900 fps out of a 2" barrel.

It's a fairly-current model--one interesting characteristic is that the cylinder on this 442 is actually LONGER than the one on my M&P 340 I bought last May. I may get around to some pictures showing this if I get the new HD installed; I am severely short of space right now.

Jim H.

jt1
November 11, 2007, 02:06 AM
...Is the back strap grip safety on the new 40s still functional?

...I read somewhere the safety system on the "new" lemonsqueezer is functional...

I read in one of the gun mags in the checkout line that it is functional and that it's configured for and comes with the pin allowing you to pin it in the frame to disable it. Too bad they didn't give us this option with the internal locks!

Nematocyst
November 11, 2007, 02:28 AM
Present and accounted for.

I'm fried from one intense work week, yet still at work.
(Designing new business cards.)

Reading ... learning ...

Anybody notice the thread name got streamlined?
"642 Club Part Deux"

Mikey likes it.
http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/smiley-evolution-of.gif

I'm intrigued by the mod 40.
Only 21 oz.
Bet that baby tames +p rnds nicely,
yet still carries in an OWB like a dream ...

Nematocyst
November 11, 2007, 03:57 AM
...configured for and comes with the pin
allowing you to pin it in the frame to disable it. That just clicked for me.

If so, that means one could "pin it in the frame",
then put on a set of Hogue monogrips.
(I'm talking about a full-sized, 3-finger set
allowing better control during double taps,
not those wimpy 2-finger pocket carry grips.)

Right?

Nematocyst
November 11, 2007, 04:22 AM
It's 12:22 AM.

Do you know
where your x4x is?

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=65200&d=1191816752

Nematocyst
November 11, 2007, 05:46 AM

Mongo the Mutterer
November 11, 2007, 07:17 AM
Nematocyst All .38 spec?

Yup.

fiVe How many rounds total?

400 more or less

Maxpeditions!! I Love Them. I have carried a jumbo versipack on trips/vacation/family gatherings (doubles as a camera bag for now) since September 06. Fantastic bag (and I am a bag nut!!).

In the rear "gun" compartment at one time I can carry a G19 and two mags in a mag pouch. I have another of their smaller bags malice clipped to the forward strap where I carry cell, palm, and sometimes my money clip.

Pocket below the front strap is for a tactical folder and a 3W Luxeon LED flashlight. Center for camera / lunch/ etc. You get the idea.

At times I malice clip a SOG Field pup to the front strap pocket, if I am going to be in the wilds for a while.

The only issue I have with the bag is that it is a pain to carry by hand, but ... fixed it. The rear has a velcro belt strap. I found a big (really big) carabiner with a foam grip for your hand. Put it in the belt strap, and now I can pick up the bag, fully loaded, with no probs.

Brassman
November 11, 2007, 08:54 AM
He's gettin' closer. He's looking at the Model 40. Now all he has to do is put a "3" in front of the "40" and he's there.

By the way, the Mika is molding itself to the M&P 340 and my pocket very nicely. Yesterday was the first full day of carry in it for me. It was in my jeans all day. I really like the way the holster never, and I do mean never, comes out of my pocket with the weapon when it is drawn. I believe it might be a little less weighty in the pocket than the K&D Pocket Defender also. Today it will ride all day in a pair of pleated chinos. Those are what I normally wear.

jamz
November 11, 2007, 09:12 AM
I'm a big fan of the VersaPacks too, I have a tan one (not a jumbo) that the 340 rides in at times.

DAdams
November 11, 2007, 02:03 PM
jt1-

Too bad they didn't give us this option with the internal locks!

I'll drink to that.

How's the holster coming?

mtm-

and I am a bag nut and 642 head. Great combination.

Brassman-
LOL

He's gettin' closer. He's looking at the Model 40. Now all he has to do is put a "3" in front of the "40" and he's there.
:D Someday "he" will come around.

Nematocyst
November 11, 2007, 07:12 PM
Someday "he" will come around.Yeah, maybe. We'll see. :rolleyes:

I am intrigued by the 40, though, but I'm not sure how I'd feel about that backstrap grip safety. I'll see if I can find one in these parts somewhere to take a look at.
________

Back to Maxpedition for a minute. I agree: great products. Interesting functional designs (even if a bit over-designed IMO; ymmv). I bought their jumbo versapak (versipak?).

While I appreciated the concept, the quality, the attention to detail - and especially appreciated the easily accessible concealed weapon compartment - I sold it immediately. (Would have returned it, but was busy and let the "return without restocking fee" period go by, so just ebayed it. I never even took the tags off.

The problem for me was not the quality or the design. It was the size. Just wasn't big enough for my gear. I wouldn't mind something like that (even if with fewer pockets and compartments), but with 2 - 3 times more capacity. I want to be able to get a bulky fleece pullover into it, with lunch, plus flashlight, toothbrush, notebook ...

The single strap, sling shoulder bag I mentioned early was voluminous - held a fleece sweater AND a light rain shell, plus lunch & 0.5 L water bottle, etc - but carried very comfortably.

I travel a lot in my town by bike, walking or bus. I'm often away from the studio for an entire day, and I don't have a vehicle handy. So, I want to be able to leave in the morning, carry what I need for an entire day, including stowing extra layers & a rain shell [note location], but all in a sling bag that can be slung around to my side (like the versapak) for easy, quick access to a 642 or 65.

That's the reason I'm looking a bit at Maxpedition's Monsoon sling pack. But I've only seen pictures. I don't want to lay out $100 without actually seeing one, trying it on, etc. In particular, it's not clear to me that access to a handgun stowed in it would be fast. It's hard to tell from the images on the Maxpedition site (http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=&idproduct=11), and I haven't found a review.

PS by edit: looks like Maxpedition has a new versipak: the Collossus (http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=4&idproduct=379). Now that looks better for what I have in mind. Even though I suspect the total volume is less than the 1600 cu.in. of the Moonson, the handgun accessibility looks better ...

ugaarguy
November 12, 2007, 12:27 AM
Uga, the K Frame ambassador, checking in here at Part Deux.

Remember there are no 442, 642, 640, nor 340 revolvers without the 40, the first of the Centennial J Frames. I handled a few examples of the new Classic Series 40-1 this weekend at the shop. Beautiful guns; beautiful bluing and nickeling, beautiful grips, great fit and finish. But too pretty to be a carry gun IMO. Great collector gun though, and I'd highly recommend it to the well heeled amongst this group of Centennial fans.

rdrancher
November 12, 2007, 01:41 AM
Snubby Grips
Somehow, I spent the majority of my adult life sans a snubnose revolver. In fact, the only revolver that I owned until earlier this year was a SA Ruger Blackhawk 3-screw and that wasn’t until I had reached the ripe age of 44-and change.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=67068&stc=1&d=1194843840
Ruger Blackhawk in .357 Magnum sporting Hogue Scrimshawed tacky-chic ivory polymer grips (stocks?).

When I “discovered” snubbies I began a search for as much information that I could gather. In the old days that meant searching back issues of gun rags and books at the local library, but with the advent of the Internet there’s a plethora of facts, figures, real-life stories and individual opinions from which to initially inform one’s self at the touch of a keyboard. The snubby search led me to the discovery of the excellent Snubnose Files, Steven A. Camp’s Hi-Powers and Handguns and finally to The High Road and the incomparable 642 Club. After all this info-gathering I decided on the purchase of a 642 as my first snubnose revolver, a decision I have yet to regret.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=67069&stc=1&d=1194843840
S&W 642-1 wearing stock Uncle Mike’s grips in Robert Mika’s superb round-cut pocket holster.

For me the rubber grips that come standard on Smith & Wesson’s line of lightweight wondersnubbies are adequate, but do not allow me a firm enough grip purchase from a pocket holster (the perfect carrying mode for the lightweight revolvers.) When first searching for a 642/442 to purchase I also checked out models equipped with Crimson Trace laser grips. Not enthralled with the laser philosophy or the fit of the grips to my hand I ruled these out too.

I found almost immediately during my search that I liked the visual impact and stylish simplicity of S&W's classic-style grips, but would I be able to shoot them adequately? I ordered a set of black polymers from Sidney Ryan via his auction based website to find out. Sidney’s grips fit with minimal modification right out of the bag. They felt good in the hand, allowed a full grip from either a Mika or Desantis Nemesis pocket holster and looked great in contrast to the matte finish of the 642-1. Unfortunately I quickly discovered during my first 100-round range session that this style of grip did not allow me to sufficiently tame +P rounds in the little snubby - I consistently shot well to the left of aim as the grip frame and grip twisted in my hand while I tried to maintain a good grip during the trigger pull and recoil.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=67151&stc=1&d=1194925714
The Wondersnubby with Sidney Ryan's black polymer grips and Diane’s leather pouch for the Bianchi Speed Strip.

Tyler T-Grips
I still really liked the ease of concealment and lack of snag-ability during the draw the polymer grips afforded, so I decided to make an additional upgrade to see if I could get them to work for me. A call to Tyler Mfg. netted a shipment of two T-Grips, one in brushed aluminum and one flat black anodized. Mounting the T-Grips is as simple as loosening the grip-screw and sliding the brass tabs under the grip panels.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=67152&stc=1&d=1194925733
642-1 poses with classic size-1 T-Grips & HKS speed loader with Speer 135gr GDHP+P‘s.

For my hand size and medium-high gripping style the installation of the T-Grip resulted in an instant and comfortable transformation. At the range the tendency of the snubby to shift position and pull left was replaced by a much more acceptable grip position.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=67072&stc=1&d=1194843840
642-1 shares space with the classic mid-seventies Charter Arms Undercover in .38 Special.

For me, the combination of Sidney Ryan's polymer grips and the Tyler Mfg. T-Grip resulted in an almost perfect grip combination for rapid return to target while still maintaining the narrow profile and slick draw-ability from pocket carry that got me headed in this direction to begin with.

rd

Nematocyst
November 12, 2007, 02:36 AM
With less than 100 posts, Rdrancher earns his senior club badge
by stepping UP to the plate with a fine illustrated essay
about a workable synthesis grip combination.

This is what this club is all about: intelligent quality.

<silky smooth male radio announcer voice>

"You are tuned to The 642 Club Part Deux on KTHR, with 642,000 W of stereo power."

<cue appropriate music ... >

rdrancher
November 12, 2007, 03:44 AM
Thanks Nem.

rd

DAdams
November 12, 2007, 11:11 AM
This is what this club is all about: intelligent quality.

Great report. The 642 looks really nice with the SR&TT combination. Very distinctive. What is the cost breakout for the two items?

ugaarguy

Classic Series 40-1 this weekend at the shop. Beautiful guns; beautiful bluing and nickeling, beautiful grips, great fit and finish. But too pretty to be a carry gun IMO. Great collector gun though, and I'd highly recommend it to the well heeled amongst this group of Centennial fans.

Model 40 for the well healed amongst us.
I admit it, I would pay that much (and I am only partially well heeled from a lifetime of toil) but I agree, it would end up being a safe queen and my son would inherit it, not that that is a bad thing, "nice legacy Dad".

I am going to go way out on a limb here. To get a retro looking 2 inch snubbie I would rather a Colt Cobra at 16 ounces, 6 rounds, (but no plus P). No lock either. Not hammerless of course but then I have always wanted a hammered snub too.
Or even a Defender, in a shrouded barrel, my personal favorite looks wise. 21 ounces, loaded up with Buffalo Bore Standard Pressure and 6 rounds. Nice look with the private eye shoulder holster. Too heavy for pocket carry in my book.
Could get either of those for less than the 40. I saw a NIB CD for $600 and that was on the high side. There are LNIB CDs for around $500. nickel or blue.

Tell me where I have run off the rails for a classic snub, other than it is a Colt? :eek: I'm talking "investment" grade snubs now more than anything else. I have the working snubs covered with the awesome S&W Centennial J Frame.

bhk
November 12, 2007, 12:09 PM
I just received my Mika holster for my 642. The fit is extremely loose - bet you could fit a 2" K frame revolver in it with no trouble at all. My 642 moves easily in it from front to back, and the movement from side to side is extreme. I can easily fit a finger between the cylinder and the inside of the holster. Is this the way they are supposed to fit? Did I get sent the wrong one? If they are supposed to fit this way, I don't want to bother Mika with it.

I have been using an Uncle Mikes IWB holster with the clip removed (as someone here or on the SW forum suggested) and it works great. Extremely thin, with good gun coverage, and an easy draw. I am not going to change if my new Mika is made to specs for my 642.

Mongo the Mutterer
November 12, 2007, 12:11 PM
Mama and I saw the remake of the Model 40 at the NRA convention in April. Her comment to the rep about the grip safety was "Why in hell would I need that?"

Good point IMHO. 12 pound trigger pull is enough safety, and why have another thing which can go wrong?

Iggy
November 12, 2007, 12:34 PM
The Mika pocket holster will seem kind of bulky and "spacious" at first.
Carry it for a few days, you will find that it is conforming to the shape of the gun and your leg.

While doing so it will still remain open enough for you to draw or replace your firearm with ease.

Mika's grow on you!!;)

If you still feel it is too large, I am betting Robert will make it right with you.

DAdams
November 12, 2007, 02:50 PM
I can easily fit a finger between the cylinder and the inside of the holster. Is this the way they are supposed to fit? Did I get sent the wrong one?

The Mika pocket holster will seem kind of bulky and "spacious" at first.
Carry it for a few days, you will find that it is conforming to the shape of the gun and your leg.

While doing so it will still remain open enough for you to draw or replace your firearm with ease.

Mika's grow on you!!

I checked mine and it is about the same. Top to bottom is snug. Side to side and I can get a finger between the cylinder and holster side. It doesn't fit like a DeSantis or an Uncle Mikes. Those are the only ones I can compare it to.

Nematocyst
November 12, 2007, 03:50 PM
Or even a [Colt] Defender, in a shrouded barrel, my personal favorite looks wise.
21 ounces, loaded up with Buffalo Bore Standard Pressure and 6 rounds.OK, I'm a little confused. Isn't a Colt Defender (http://www.coltsmfg.com/cmci/Defender.asp) a bottom feeding .45 ACP that holds 7+1?

jt1
November 12, 2007, 09:00 PM
How's the holster coming?

DA - The holster is doing well, but doing it slowly. My priorities need to be realigned to focus more on living and less on making a living.

bhk - As the others have said, it takes awhile for the Mika to settle in. It will never be a "retention holster" and it's not meant to be. I can get a full combat grip, with my finger on the trigger, with the gun still fully holstered and I think that is a good thing. Give it some time, a few weeks at least.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/jt1jt1/PB090005.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/jt1jt1/PB090008.jpg

jt1
November 12, 2007, 09:15 PM
There have been several Colt Defenders over the years, I like this one!

doc540
November 12, 2007, 10:27 PM
First post from an expectant 642 daddy, due to arrive tomorrow or Thursday.

I sold a Glock 26 and will carry the 642 in my deep cover, SmartCarry.

Sure have enjoyed reading this thread!

And please forgive me in advance of my noob questions, ok?:o

DAdams
November 12, 2007, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by DA
Or even a [Colt] Defender, in a shrouded barrel, my personal favorite looks wise.
21 ounces, loaded up with Buffalo Bore Standard Pressure and 6 rounds.

OK, I'm a little confused. Isn't a Colt Defender a bottom feeding .45 ACP that holds 7+1?

And confused you should be. :banghead: Let's make that the Colt Detective Special shall we. :banghead:

Although I did see a new Colt Bottom Feeder at one of the LGS the other day and it was rather nice. This is coming from a yahoo who knows nothing about 1911s, there ilk or brethren. Colt New Agent Defender. Trench (gutter) site. But then I'm not a cocker and locker. :rolleyes: After seeing and holding this, I might be convinced. .45 in a 19 ounce, three inch barrel semi-auto.

http://ezine.m1911.org/ColtNA_frame.htm

MassMark
November 12, 2007, 11:22 PM
Welcome BassPlayer and newest 642-Head... :cool: Nice to see yet another person making their very first post in the 642 Club! Congratulations on making a very wise and secure purchase!

doc540
November 12, 2007, 11:27 PM
thanks, MassMark

Is it too early to ask a 642 noob question?

(for some reason I've managed to jam the search function):o

rdrancher
November 12, 2007, 11:37 PM
DAdams - Great report. The 642 looks really nice with the SR&TT combination. Very distinctive. What is the cost breakout for the two items?

Thank you!

$29.99 for the grips + $3.00 shipping
$20.00 for the brushed t-grip + $6.75 shipping

Tyler will ship two t-grips in the same package for the same shipping charge.

The missing photos are up on "In Search of the Perfect Snubby Grip - Part I"

rd

jt1
November 13, 2007, 12:09 AM
BassPlayer - Welcome to the 642 Club. Ask away...

doc540
November 13, 2007, 12:12 AM
thnx, jt1

Could someone steer me to a thread discussing 642's and ported barrels?

Or does such an animal even exist?

And I have tried to search before asking.:confused:

rdrancher
November 13, 2007, 12:19 AM
bhk - I just received my Mika holster for my 642. The fit is extremely loose

I'll throw my .02 in here too.

I was a little confused with the fit of the Mika holster when I first used it, but it didn't take long to break in and then I really started to appreciate it. The Mika just plain doesn't move during the draw.

That said - Depending on the style of pants/shorts I'm wearing I still use my Nemesis and Uncle Mike's.

BassPlayer - Welcome!!

rd

lssable97
November 13, 2007, 12:54 AM
I know this information is probably buried deep in the first thread somewhere, however can someone tell me what the trigger pull is (in pounds) on a stock 642-2?

Thanks!

Nematocyst
November 13, 2007, 03:14 AM
I've been thinking about grips lately, and how they relate to the way we carry x4x.

I'm going to express a minority opinion. It's neither "right" nor "wrong". Just what works for me.
Many will disagree, and they're just as right as me (if not more so).

Here goes. I don't like little skinny, 2-finger grips on a J-frame.
For me, there's something wrong with the proportions both functionally and aesthetically.

I like a substantial grip. Give me something I can hold onto with my entire hand, with three fingers, not just two.

As you may remember from discussions in the old house, I put a set of full Hogue Monogrips on my 642.

Why?

I have smaller than average hands, and when I'm shooting +P,
I like the extra control, especially for fast double taps.
Less important, but still there: it just looks more aesthetic ... IMO.

Now, larger grips insure that I don't pocket carry. But I don't want to pocket carry. I've got enough stuff in my pockets as it is, and - as I've said several times (in the old house), pocket carry makes me look like I'm carrying a hamburger in my pocket.

So, I carry mine in an OWB. (I'm starting to consider a shoulder holster for cooler months, which is most months up here. Besides, something intuitively tells me that shoulder carry will be just as fast as pocket carry as long as I'm maintaining situational awareness.)

I've also been looking at the handles on my knives - Kabar, SOG Seal Pup, Benchmade folder.
None have handles that accommodate only 2 fingers. All support all my fingers.
I want my snub nose to be the same.

When I hold a knife, I want to have control over it. When I hold my snubnose primary,
I want to have control over it for quicker double taps, and in case someone tries to knock it out of my hand.

And, again, for me, there's just something aesthetically satisfying about a grip on a handgun
that's as large or larger than the "business end".
It's all about proportions.

Like I said, just an opinion. YMMV.

Nem

PS: I've decided that as soon as I'm able,
I'm going to trade the 642 for a 442.
I want a black gun to match my black knives.
Black doesn't sparkle in moonlight.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=60463&d=1183888688

Nematocyst
November 13, 2007, 05:11 AM
Oh, yeah; forgot to mention this:

The color of that MIM trigger matches a 442.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/images/firearms/162810_large.jpg

DAdams
November 13, 2007, 10:17 AM
PS: I've decided that as soon as I'm able,
I'm going to trade the 642 for a 442.

Er I meant I'm going to trade my 642 for a M&P 340. ;)

Randys

http://www.randyshuntingcenter.com/

has M&P 340s in stock now. I saw a recent ad on GA. I think they were around $679. About the price of the retro 40.

I agree with you on the full grips. I would like to have a set of CT 305s for my 340 some day instead of the 405s. Hogue Monogrips are still my favorites, I just put a set on my 686.

Brian Williams
November 13, 2007, 11:12 AM
Just a reminder folks this is the 642 club. It is in the revolver forum and should be on topic for the Revolver forum and the x42 series of S&W revolvers. Rambling to the other centenial frames and other light weight revolvers fit the topic of this thread and any thing else will be deleted or moved.
b

AZGlock13
November 13, 2007, 11:32 AM
Well, I just ordered a 442 from Bud's Gun shop today (let the waiting begin:uhoh::D). This well be my first J-Frame, so I'm pretty excited. Planning on pocket carrying it in a Robert Mika holster. I'm kind of going between either using the stock Uncle Mike Boot grip or the Hogue rubber Bantam grip, which do most people like more (for pocket carry) (not too big on wood grips and the CT laser grip is wee bit expensive for me to go with for now)? Thanks.

Mongo the Mutterer
November 13, 2007, 11:43 AM
AZGlock13, I vote for the standard grips.

I view my 642 as a pocket gun, not a target pistol. As long as I can put 5 holes COM at 15 yrds, I am happy. I have fairly big hands, and the boot grips seem to fit me quite well.

YMMV

hunter55
November 13, 2007, 11:50 AM
Issable97 - My 642 had a stock trigger pull of just over 12 lbs, before any break in or significant firing time. Hope that helps.

jt1
November 13, 2007, 02:51 PM
lssable97 - S&W reports X42 trigger pull weight of 10lbs. - 12lbs. out the factory door. Mine is just over 11lbs. and has remained constant since new. It feels lighter and much smoother after being broken-in but pull weight is same.

Here's an interesting article about trigger weight, spring kit's and more:
http://vintagepistols.com/range_report_S&W_642.html

BassPlayer - Here's some opinions of Ma -na- porting:

My take:
http://thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=3610540

Search results:
http://thehighroad.org/search.php?searchid=3143311

AZGlock13 - Welcome to the 642 Club. For pocket carry you can't go wrong with the bantam grip. If you can conceal them the monogrips provide more control and comfort.

doc540
November 13, 2007, 04:38 PM
thanks, jt1....makes perfect sense. I knew someone had thought through this before and is a perfect example of why I joined the Forum.

electrode1998
November 13, 2007, 09:50 PM
Hey Nem,
If you want to "hide" your 642 in the night you could always camo paint it or black paint(ha ha) it so you would not have to trade it in.

Not to be a smart a** but is this on topic or am I about to get a ticket for going off subject?

I agree we need to stay on subject, but we can also have some fun around here. After all sometimes I have learned alot when the subject changes a little. I learned about the 642 over on the 336 club page.
IMHO,
e'trode

jt1
November 13, 2007, 10:49 PM
BassPlayer - You are welcome..BTW, your sig line is just perfect...ya just never know... , and we really never do! Just in case...I am... jt1@comcast.net

jfh
November 13, 2007, 11:22 PM
We had a warm day today, so I went to the range "one last time:" before winter--

As noted earlier, I picked up a used 442 last week. (LNIB; I estimate perhaps no more than 50 rounds fired; some carry wear only.)

1. Speer GDSB 135-gr (38+P)--average velocity: 861 fps
2. FC Hydra-Shok 129-gr. (38+P)--average: 866 fps

FWIW, the M&P 340 and the 640 revolvers I have tend to shoot the Speer cartrige about 30 fps faster than this 442. That was for other (re)loads shot today as well. No temperature correction has been done--the 340 shoot the Speer cartridges at about 900-910, and the 640 at about 890-910. SDs have been as low as 6 and as high as 30+.

Jim H.

ShowMeState1977
November 14, 2007, 01:56 AM
Checking in and wanted to say I am loving my 442 and my Mika round cut pocket holster!!! I've been carrying it all day and I sometimes forget I'm carrying it. I could never say that about my XD9SC.

Long live the *42 and the Mika pocket holsters!

Nematocyst
November 14, 2007, 04:56 AM
The Gunsite Tactical Revolver

Guns Magazine, Annual, 2001 by Massad Ayoob

Worked over by the Gunsite Custom Shop, this Smith & Wesson Model 442 Airweight is ready for business!

When you think "Gunsite," you think "Jeff Cooper." When you think "Jeff Cooper," you think "1911 .45 pistol." This, it seems, casts a dim view on anything not .45. Not so.

The fact is, the little J-frame Smith & Wesson .38 Special snubby has always held an honored place at "the school that Jeff built."

In his classic book Cooper on Handguns, Col. Cooper observed that the Smith & Wesson Chiefs Special was a useful little gun. Indeed, he noted that it was part of his recommended handgun wardrobe, the gun to be worn with a tailored business suit.

In addition, the little J-frame .38 was the choice of his wife, Janelle. Also, during the second generation of command at Gunsite, an Airweight S&W Centennial "backup gun" reposed in the jacket pocket of then-owner Richard Jee. Indeed, the five-shot S&W .38 Special snubby has been the backup handgun or otherwise part of the "working battery" for countless Gunsite instructors including Manny Kapelsohn and Ken Hackathorn. I don't see this changing in the third generation of Gunsite management under new owner Buz Mills.

[Remainder of article here (http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_2001_Annual/ai_63922922).]

Nematocyst
November 14, 2007, 05:04 AM
Smith & Wesson Model 642
By Syd

It was the best selling firearm offered by Smith & Wesson in 2006. Tradition holds that the original design emerged from the creative mind of Col. Rex Applegate. Among the small revolvers, it has been called a personal favorite by Walt Rausch, Massad Ayoob, Jim Wilson, Stephen Camp, Ken Hackathorn and many others. Jim Supica, author of The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson, said that it was “possibly the finest pocket revolver ever made.” It is the Smith & Wesson Model 642 Airweight Centennial.

[Remainder of article here (http://www.snubnose.info/docs/m642.htm).]

Nematocyst
November 14, 2007, 05:16 AM
My current desktop image.

I don't care what you say.
It's just a sexy revolver.

(Even if it WILL look and shoot better
with a set of Hogue Monogrips.)

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson/upload/images/firearms/162810_large.jpg

S.O.D.
November 14, 2007, 11:01 AM
I've got good news, bad news and really bad news. The good: I picked up my 642 on Saturday. The bad: It looks like the free Smith and Wesson range bag offer ended at the end of October. The ugly: Mrs. S.O.D. told me she wanted to wrap up my brand new 642 for my Christmas present. I calmly explained that I needed to practice with it before my permit arrived in mid-January. Mrs. S.O.D. then told me (just as calmly) she would cut me off if I didn't let her wrap it up for Christmas. She drives me crazy, but God bless her, the woman knows how to negotiate!

Update: Here is a picture of my unfired :banghead: 642 and my Mika

Mongo the Mutterer
November 14, 2007, 05:13 PM
Merry Christmas, anyway....

glockman19
November 14, 2007, 07:08 PM
JT,

Here's a couple pf pics of the 642 Trigger polish.

Glockman19

doc540
November 14, 2007, 08:09 PM
Arrived this afternoon.

Excellent condition, exactly as presented by the seller.

My first 642:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/AirWeight1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/doc540/Guns/SmartCarry1.jpg

So, what does a noob do as soon as he gets his hands on his first 642?

remove the side cover, of course!

I sparingly oiled a few spots and carefully put it back together. Probably just my imagination but it seems to operate more smoothly. I'll try to get to the range Sunday morning since I have a gig at the local Harley dealership Saturday day and another private party to play Sunday afternoon.

btw: after carrying first a Glock 26, then my wifes Taurus 85, the 642 is, by far, the most comfortable deep cover gun I've carried (even though I've only carried it around the house for a couple of hours. :D)

Thanks for all the info here, and the friendly welcome for a 642 noob.

rdrancher
November 14, 2007, 08:16 PM
S.O.D. - May I suggest that you ask Mrs. S.O.D. if it would be okay to wrap the 642 with your Mika holster and hide it in your pocket 'til Christmas.

...well, one has to try...right? ;)

rd

308win
November 14, 2007, 08:22 PM
There are worse things to do without. Or so I have heard.:D

cpalmer777
November 14, 2007, 09:19 PM
Hello 642 Club,
I have been reading and enjoying the 642 Club’s valuable input for quite a while. As a result of the 642 Club I plan on purchasing a 642 within a few weeks. :D I have my CCW license and the 642 seems to be a logical choice as my main concealed carry tool. I believe this thread has assisted me in making in the correct decisions in regard to the 642 and other accessories. For example, I have already ordered my Mika pocket holster. By the way, Mika is without a doubt an absolute gentleman. I plan on ordering a CT 405 in the near future. I am looking at a Galco ankle holster for my 642. The leather version seemed to be very comfortable. Can anyone provide any input about ankle holsters for the 642? Thank you in advance.

Respectfully,

cpalmer777

glockman19
November 14, 2007, 09:37 PM
cpalmer777,

Welcome to THR and the 642 Club thread.

I have the CTC 405's and love them, I have a Mika on order and use teh Desantis Nemisis for my 642 & 442. As far as the Ankle holster I have personally decided against it for a number of reasons including difficulty in reaching, and comfort. If it works for you gor for it.

cpalmer777
November 14, 2007, 09:50 PM
Thank you glockman19 for the welcome and information.

fiVe
November 14, 2007, 09:57 PM
Welcome, cpalmer777!

Thanks for making your first THR posts here in the 642 Club.

cpalmer777
November 14, 2007, 10:03 PM
Thank you fiVe. The information on part 1 of The 642 Club is a very rich source of valuable information! All who participated should be proud!!!

CC Bob
November 14, 2007, 10:42 PM
After reading a lot of the posts in Part 1, and now here.... I've decided to go with a 442 as a carry piece for myself.:D

I had purchased a 638 for the wife (for when her CCW comes through), but I found myself carrying it more and more. I've always been a fan of autoloaders, carrying either a Walther P99 (shoulder holstered), or a Kahr MK40 (overweight "pocket" auto that's got nasty recoil), but after taking the 638 to the range more frequently to "break it in for the wife" ;) , I was finding it hard to give up. So... since I prefer the "stealth" look myself...the 442 it is!

Hmmm... this means I'll have to get a Model 29 to compliment it, similar to the way my 629 is "our" 638's "big brother" :D

bkastel
November 15, 2007, 01:53 PM
Yesterday I went to the range and practiced with my 642. It has a Crimson Trace laser grip. When I got home I pulled out the cleaning stuff and cleaned the gun. I'm too lazy to remove the laser grips so I got spray from some bore cleaner on the lens. I have done this a few times before and each time I have been able to get the solid red dot back by using one of the foam cleaning sticks that came with the CT. This time I can't seem to clean it very well and it still is pretty defused. I think the small foam cleaning sticks are toast. I switched to Hoppes #9 cleaner for the first time. I ran out of time last night and didn't try a Q-tip and window cleaner. I hope that works. I might be screwed.

Would Hoppes #9 cleaner ruin the lens?

How do the rest of you clean your CT when those foam sticks wear out and have you had the same problem?

Is the lens on the CT glass or plastic? Plastic might be etched with bore cleaner because of the petroleum chemicals.

I would suggest that CT build a plug to cover the lens when cleaning the gun. It could be attached to a larger piece of something so that you wouldn't forget to take it out before holstering your gun again.

jfh
November 15, 2007, 02:39 PM
...for my CT-405 suddenly came up diffused after a cleaning on Sunday.

Just a few minutes ago, I tried a q-tip --which showed removal of a grunge ring around the aperture opening--but made no appreciable difference in the diffusion. On impulse, I just tried another q-tip, wetted this time with a glasses / optical glass cleaner from an optician.

It made no difference.

I have a variety of cleaning solvents on my bench, but I have been using ONLY the Hoppe's Elite products, Gun Scrubber, and CLP on this gun (M&P 340; I also have a 640 and a 442). I am a cleaning slob, generally believing in the "if-some's-good,-more-is-better" school for gun cleaning. I don't remove the (CT) grips when cleaning.

I think something screwed it up. If no other cleaners fix this, I'll contact Crimson Trace about warranty service.

Jim H.

ultralightbackpacker
November 15, 2007, 03:49 PM
Nem,

Qeustion. That picture of the knives and 642. The folder sure looks like a Benchmade AFCK? I had one and lost it. I sure loved her.

bkastel
November 15, 2007, 05:35 PM
jft,

I left the office today for lunch and bought some cotton swabs. I came back and took my gun in a bathroom stall and used some computer screen cleaner. I think is is better but not perfect. I found this on the on the Crimson Trace Forum. http://forums.crimsontrace.com/index.php?topic=33676.0 Mine isn't like the picture but has quite a bit of red "fuzz" around the dot. There are other articles on this if you search for "cleaning".

Maybe we just both need to keep working at it. I read that the CT lens is water-tight so maybe a drop of alcohol down in the hole might work.

Bryan

308win
November 15, 2007, 09:02 PM
Are you sure your lens isn't etched? If it is plastic and not glass the solvents you are using could etch or fog it. Write CT and ask them what they think. What kind of warranty do the grips have?

bhk
November 15, 2007, 09:14 PM
I don't take my grips off either, but place a piece of masking tape over the lens opening when cleaning. Seems to work.

colubrid
November 15, 2007, 09:36 PM
My 642 is jammed. Its stuck. I can shoot it if I finish pulling the trigger but if you want to stage fire it won't release. It only has 150 rounds thru it but probably dry fired 1000x.

I know this is probably the first bad post on a 642 so I wonder how S&W will handle fixing it. I have never had to send one back to S&W and don't want to pay for shipping. Its been like this for a while and used to be my all the time gun. Now it just sits collecting dust.

http://www.fototime.com/ftweb/bin/ft.dll/standard?pictid={DB0686AA-E253-4225-A569-FFFC069B929C}&exp=f&moddt=39401.0940345949&ssdyn=1

If anyone has a contact name at S&W please email me or if you had any experiences with sending one back please share.

MAURICE
November 15, 2007, 09:50 PM
My mom is about to join the club.
I was reading the original thread a few days ago and pondering getting one for myself when my mom sent me an e-mail asking me for advice on a good SD handgun. Of course the 642 popped into my head. Taking her to the gunshop this weekend to make sure she likes them and then she will be all set.

jfh
November 15, 2007, 10:15 PM
colubrid: have you removed the crane and cylinder assembly and then pulled the cylinder and cleaned the cylinder and ejector shaft assembly?

Some of us with 340s have had cylinder binding when shooting reloads--mine shows up after as little as 60 rounds or so. Try a detail strip-and-clean of the cylinder / rod, and see if that helps.

308win: I'll try using more cleaner on my CT lens, and get more aggressive--haven't gotten back to it. Update: OK, I've used windex 3 times--and now I have a nice sharp pattern of diffusion. I think may it is etched. The warranty on CT grips is 3 years, so I may have to use it--we shall see.

Heh--I went out, bought some powder, and then bought a Model 36--first gen, 93% gun or so--my first real collectible purchase, I think.

Jim H.

rdrancher
November 15, 2007, 10:21 PM
jfh - Heh--I went out, bought some powder, and then bought a Model 36--first gen, 93% gun or so--my first real collectible purchase, I think.

We'll be needin' some pics of this sir! ;)

rd

colubrid
November 15, 2007, 11:01 PM
Yes I have done that. The problem is directly related to the stage firing because its right at that point where it jams.. Right where the sear and hammer meet is where the hangups occur.

Anyone dealt with S&W on returns? I wonder how they treat their customers?

jfh
November 15, 2007, 11:08 PM
I had to send in my 640 this summer after I fired a cylinderfull of overpressure rounds through it--the gunsmith found a stretched cylinder. The CS was excellent--and no charge, which I did not expect.

It did take 3 weeks, but I think that was because of hitting summer vacations. In the S&W forums (and here) reports of one week turnaround are not surprising.

I bought the used 442 last Thursday, and I called on Monday to find out the manufacture date. When inquired after repair policies buying used, I was told they would stand behind the revolver, but I'd probably have to pay shipping.

Call them tomorrow and have them send a RA/UPS call tag out; absolutely no pain--just be present to sign off when it's returned.

Jim H.

colubrid
November 16, 2007, 12:36 AM
Call them tomorrow and have them send a RA/UPS call tag out

Thanks for the help.

bkastel
November 16, 2007, 01:34 AM
I finally got a sharp red dot and here is how I did it. I carefully pulled out about 1/8 inch of cotton off the end of a cotton swab and rolled it to a dull point. I did this to both ends of the swab. I then squirted a shot or 2 of computer screen cleaner (I'm sure window cleaner would also work) on a hard surface to make a puddle. With one end of the swab I would dip it in the cleaner and then stick the cotton point in the lens hole. I would rotate it around a few times, turn the swab over to the dry end and rotate it again. I went through 3 swabs before it was perfect. You just pull a little cotton off the end and roll it so that it fits deep onto the lens glass/plastic.

Now the problem was what to do next time I clean my gun and don't want to remove the grips. I am a fly fisherman and tie my own flies. One of the materials I use is called Parachute Post. They are stiff foam cylinders about the same size as the CT cleaning sticks. I found that if I pulled a little on the foam it would stretch and then slowly return to about the same size. I then stuck it deep in the lens hole and it would expand tightening around the circumference of the opening. It's similar to using those foam ear plugs. I then clipped off the excess foam sticking out and shot the lens hole directly with a shot of screen cleaner. A toothpick (NOT A PIN OR NEEDLE) easily flipped out the foam plug and no fluid got on the lens. It was still a sharp red dot even when the grip was dripping wet. Come to think about it, I bet you could clip down an earplug and it would work the same way (not tested, just an idea).

I hope this helps. Your results may vary.

Nematocyst
November 16, 2007, 02:25 AM
That picture of the knives and 642.
The folder sure looks like a Benchmade AFCK (http://www.zknives.com/knives/folding/benchmade/bmafckaxd2.shtml)?Packer, it's an Osborne.

Not sure of its lineage
(could have evolved from AFCK... don't know).
_______

642: the next generation ... has arrived.

http://www.scifitv.com.au/content/shows/main/starTrekNextGen.jpg

glockman19
November 16, 2007, 02:38 AM
Now the problem was what to do next time I clean my gun and don't want to remove the grips.
Put some tape over it.

bkastel
November 16, 2007, 11:29 AM
Put some tape over it.

Do you ever have problems with the tape adhesive being dissolved and gummy by the bore cleaner and then coming off? Tape was my first thought also but this was easy enough and I could make a bunch of plugs to keep in my case for field cleaning.

Mongo the Mutterer
November 16, 2007, 11:48 AM
Awww be A Man!!!

Take off those sissy grips and shoot like Mongo.... :D

Put some day glo orange nail polish on the front sight though.... :o

bkastel
November 16, 2007, 12:15 PM
Take off those sissy grips and shoot like Mongo....

Put some day glo orange nail polish on the front sight though....

Orange nail polish? Sissy? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Seriously, I would never rely on the laser sight as my first line of defense. Ya gotta be good with them iron sights first because you might not be shooting YOUR gun. At the range I shoot about 80% of the time with the laser switch off.

ranger58
November 16, 2007, 01:55 PM
point shoot only:), i put a scope on my 22 for squirrel hunting thuo, but there alittle futher away.

jt1
November 16, 2007, 03:07 PM
glockman19 - Thanks for the pics, when I get time I'll see what I can do to get my trigger all shiny.

BassPlayer - Congrats on your new gun. I just ordered a Smart Carry myself. I'll review it in a while.

cpalmer777, CC Bob, colubrid - Welcome to the 642 Club. We are happy to have each of you here.

colubrid - We have had many X42's with issues here, as a review of Part 1 will reveal, and all were resolved to the owners satisfaction by S&W. As has been said, call them and they will take care of you.

MAURICE - Please keep us informed, we would be happy to have MAURICESMOM as a member here!

ranger58 - Point Shooting is about 85% of my training. As you know, with just a little practice the results are amazing.

ALL - Still working on my holster...

doc540
November 16, 2007, 05:49 PM
"BassPlayer - Congrats on your new gun. I just ordered a Smart Carry myself. I'll review it in a while."

Thanks, jt1. So far, mine is working well for its intended purpose, well made, and comfortable.

I'm looking into a pocket holster for times when I don't need a deep cover carry.

You know, after carrying a Glock 26 in it, the 642 practically disappears during the day. If I can learn to shoot it well, it'll be a great concealed carry piece.

YZR
November 16, 2007, 07:29 PM
Well, I couldn't take it any more...I finally got a spanking new 642 last night. It hasn't even been shot yet (maybe this weekend) but it already feels like part of the family!

JonSmith
November 16, 2007, 07:36 PM
Just bought some Wrangler Hero carpenter jeans at WalMart and am impressed with the price $16 and number of pockets, 8 total. The front pockets are deep enough to carry your j-frame heater in a pocket holster although the pocket material is somewhat thin. There are 2 smaller pockets to carry your cell phone on either side and various other pockets for knives, flashlight, etc. They do not have the tactical look like some cargo pants, which is a good thing. I know this topic was somewhat covered on the original thread but it has been a while.

doc540
November 16, 2007, 08:53 PM
sorry if I missed it, but has this been discussed here?

ClipDraw (http://www.clipdraw.com/sw.html)

http://www.clipdraw.com/images/jframe2.jpg

jt1
November 16, 2007, 09:46 PM
YZR - Welcome to the club. About time you got in here!

BassPlayer - We have looked at the Clip Draw a time ot two and most folks say unless the trigger is covered they don't feel comfortable with that mode of carry. I feel the same way generally but I can see some use for this style in some limitied situations, but not for general CCW.

cpalmer777
November 16, 2007, 11:09 PM
Thank you jt1 for the warm welcome. :)

firemedic4
November 17, 2007, 12:05 AM
My first day of shooting my new 642! I loved it :D others is case, 1911, NAA .380, Ruger 22/45, Glock 27, S&W 36, S&W 642.

Better pics to come, and cleaner pistols....;)

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=67391&d=1195272147

Nematocyst
November 17, 2007, 04:37 AM
Just checking into the club house
after intense work week from hell #12.

Good to see 642 Deux alive and well.
Nice to see new faces.
Welcome to the next generation.

http://www.scifitv.com.au/content/shows/main/starTrekNextGen.jpg

We may, at times, seem a bit crazy.

(Psst. That's because we are.)

http://www.jesseshunting.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/smiley-ren.gif

But above all, we are respectful,
and we love our X42.

Mine is right where it always is
when I'm awake.

When I'm asleep,
it's in a different place,
but still only inches away.
(Described in the club archives.)

OK, only one more hour of work.
Then, I can sleep.

It's 12:30. Do you know where your X42 is?

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=65200&d=1191816752

Nematocyst
November 17, 2007, 04:56 AM
642 DeuxSo, like, in French,
is that 64deux deux?

YZR
November 17, 2007, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the note jt1, it's great to be on the inside looking out and I agree: it's about time!

electrode1998
November 17, 2007, 10:39 AM
Hey ya'll,

I am still about 2 weeks away for getting my Mika so last night I picked up a Desantis S.O.B. holster for 50 bucks. After the initial test(the ride home) I like it. The fit and concealment is good and the draw from under my jacket is nice and natural. Also while sitting in my truck I can slide the holster slightly to my side so I can easily draw it in my truck if it is needed. Looks I might be able to avoid the cross-draw holster purchase.

Now that it is getting cold here I can use this holster for a change for when pocket carry is not an option.
e'trode

ranger58
November 17, 2007, 02:50 PM
jt1- for the first 700 rounds orso i did't do much point shooting, then going to the range with a friend of mine who has had a lot of training by pros and is a ex state trooper, like you i have mainly just been shooting with out the sights.

bassplayer- i have been carry mine with a tucker IWB all the time, clip style holster, i like the extra room in my pockits, i do have a mika to use when need to:)

welcome new club members, can't even try to keep up with all.

electrode1998
November 17, 2007, 06:30 PM
Hey glockman,
What is the process for polishing the trigger? Is just a polish wheel on a dremmel tool or what?
e'trode

DAdams
November 17, 2007, 09:22 PM
to bring the Thanksgiving decorations back out. Guess they were misplaced during the move.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/dmadams/PB010026.jpg

ranger58
November 17, 2007, 09:42 PM
look's good to me, just need a turkey:)

DAdams
November 17, 2007, 11:20 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/dmadams/PB020009.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/dmadams/PB020008-1.jpg

This here is Henrietta. Legend has she has survived the chopping block for many a year. You can probably guess why.
No one messes with she and her trusty 642. Although I hear tell she would rather have an ILS free dash one.

Y'all have wonderful Thanksgiving and get out and shoot.

ranger58
November 18, 2007, 09:45 AM
you da man:)

jt1
November 18, 2007, 06:32 PM
DA - Here is a quick look at the (very rough) prototype crossdraw/driving. holster body. I'm working on the rotational attachment and maybe a retension strap.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/jt1jt1/PB150002.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/jt1jt1/PB150005-1.jpg

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u152/jt1jt1/PB150007.jpg

glockman19
November 18, 2007, 07:36 PM
jt1,

Very Nice.:D

DA,
I wouldn't mess with that turkey :evil:

Nematocyst
November 18, 2007, 07:55 PM
<coming up for a breath of air on a working Sunday>

Club pollster partially present and somewhat accounted for.
Seriously behind on reading. Work is a monster impervious to x42 rnds.
Just have to deal with it. Light at end of tunnel, hoping it's not a train coming ...

Fine turkey gun (get it?).
Fine looking holster (I'm genuinely impressed).

More as soon as I'm able to extract myself from the jaws of the monster.

Right now, must go feed a puzzling, insatiable craving for cornbread stuffing with extra onion and sage.
(Why am I hungry for that all of a sudden? :confused: )

Hope all of you are well, or if not, moving quickly in that direction.

Nem, the overworked, underpaid self-employed,
who's thankful for a roof during this pineapple express (http://zebu.uoregon.edu/humid.html).

DAdams
November 18, 2007, 08:44 PM
jt1
That is looking really nice. Do you have a machine that will handle the leather or is the old hand job awl and palm protector? Can't wait to see the finished product.

Nem
Why did you have to bring up cornbread stuffing. <drools on keyboard>.

Yep Henrietta is one badazz bird. Too tough to eat. She's been in the family dressing the table for many years.

Waldo Pepper
November 18, 2007, 10:52 PM
Well after lerking here some I joined today. Seems like a nice place to hang out.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x245/oldnavy6393/1911SW.jpg
Got tired of the magazine hassle for my CCW and the weight of all that steel. So I bought a 642 this summer for $380 TTL NIB from local pawn & gun shop. I really like the pistol and it is so much easier to tote around and it is a true pocket gun unlike my RIA 1911 officers model or my S&W CS45 and I carry it everywhere loose in my pants. I have as yet to buy any type of holster for the pistol and in loose fitting jeans you can't tell I am packing so I have been slack at looking for one and may never get one. I have decided to get a holster bag of some kind to carry the 642, billfold, car keys, and anything else I need to carry.

At least when I practice with the 642-2 at the range I won't be hunting my brass. :D I have two 10mm auto's and four 45ACP pistols and it has gotten expensive to loose brass from those for sure. :eek:

soloshot
November 19, 2007, 12:16 AM
Hi Folks,
I'm new to this, read a lot in the forums and internet, decided on a 642-2 CT after I got my concealed weapons permit recently. So far I like it a lot. Got an array of holsters: pocket, belt, shoulder, and have been carrying daily to get familiar.
Been to the range a few times and put 300 rounds of 38 158gr FMJ and another 100 38 + P 158gr TMJ through it. Very accurate, with and without the laser at 7 yards. Cleaned it once with Hoppe's 9 and after reading all the posts have determined that is a no no. What I have picked up reading the post's is:
No ammonia!
Use Hoppe's Elite Cleaner, Hoppe's Elite Bore Gel, Break-Free CLP, and Gun Scrubber. I've seen a few Gun Scrubber products, is synthetic Safe Cleaner and Solvent/Degreaser ok?
Are all of these ok?

On my last 50 rounds of FIOCCHI 38sp 158 FMJ I had 2 misfires :uhoh:. When I compare the firing pin indentation on the misfires to the successful fires, there is a definate difference, a smaller indentation. Can this happen if I hesitate in the trigger pull? I read a similar post and was wondering if you guys have seen this?
Time for a trip back to the factory?
Thanks

jt1
November 19, 2007, 01:38 PM
DA - I'm doing this by hand, Dad has an old Campbell stitcher if I decide to do more than a couple but I like the look of hand work.

Waldo Pepper, soloshot - Welcome to you both. The 642 Club is a great place to be and we are happy to have you here.

soloshot - I use Break-Free CLP exclusively, you are correct about the ammonia, it will attack the clear coat. This is a good opportunity to see what other are using now as we haven't covered this in quite a while and things change. So, 642 heads what are you cleaning with and how is it working for you?

As far as the misfires go, I have not had any with live ammo and have to say that zero is the acceptable limit for a carry gun before some type of action is required. I have not used this Brand of ammo and it's possible you got some hard primers. I don't think it has anything to do with trigger pull on a properly functioning revolver. Who has used this ammo? Any problems?

Waldo Pepper - I would recommend a good pocket holster, It makes a big difference in gun presentation and protection. The recommendation is of course for a Mika round cut.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~akim/

glockman19
November 19, 2007, 01:52 PM
Waldo Pepper, soloshot

Welcome.

soloshot, I use Hopps #9 and have and NO problems with the clear coat finish on my 642 and no issues with my 442. I do apply it surgically to the barrel, chamber and cylinder ends, so it rarely touches the outside fininsh. I always give it a good coat of oil & whipe wit silicone rag. I too have had ZERO mis-fires

308win
November 19, 2007, 02:15 PM
Soloshot - What do the firing pin indentations on the non-defective rounds look like and do the indentations appear uniform on the good and bad rounds? Are the rims uniform thickness on all rounds (good and bad)? Do you have another .38sp or .357 you could try the defective rounds in? If so, try them and see if they fire. Also, try the rounds again in your 642 but align them so the firing pin strikes 180 degrees more or less away from the original strike.

Regardless of the results I wouldn't carry this brand in my go-to-gun.

cpalmer777
November 19, 2007, 02:51 PM
I have not picked up my 642 yet, but I currently clean my Beretta Px4 with Break Free CLP. It was recommended by the dealer I purchased my Px4 from. I am very pleased with Break Free CLP. By the way, I previously contacted Smith and Wesson and asked what they recommend to clean and preserve the 642 and the customer service representative suggested Break Free CLP as well. You can check out the Break Free site at: http://www.break-free.com/

Let us know what you decide.

Take care,

cpalmer777

soloshot
November 19, 2007, 02:58 PM
Interesting morning.....

I called S&W, asked what cleaner to use, recommended I use MPro7 and gave me their #. They said someone would call back....not yet.

Called S&W again, asked about misfire, they asked what ammo, they said don't use foreign ammo (who have different specs), use US ammo, Remington, Winchester, Federal........Also said the reason the indents on firing caps were different was due to large forces created when the good ammo fired. OK, I'll bite, run a few hundred rounds of "Made in America" and let ya know...

Also asked the second S&W guy about cleaning, he said because my 642 and soon to arrive M&P 340 were SS cyl & bore that I could carefully use Hoppe's Elite on cyl and bore only, but he recommended Shooters Choice, wasn't familiar with MPro7. So my conclusion is that there is no official response to the question other than "no ammonia". Would love to hear more from this forum on that...

I've just read so many posts about damage due to aggressive chemicals I'm gun shy on cleaning....pun...

S&W also said don't get aggressive solvents on the CT grip...makes sense
Thanks!

cpalmer777
November 19, 2007, 03:12 PM
Soloshot,
I agree, the recommendations vary from person to person (like anything else). I’m sure you will not go wrong with any of the suggestions though. :)

cpalmer777

Waldo Pepper
November 19, 2007, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the welcome fellows.

S&W told me when I called about my CS45 to be careful about what I used to clean the pistol and recommended Break Free CLP for cleaning the pistol (mine looked like it had been stored with WD40 and was all gummed up) and then a good synthetic gun lube if possible.

Well I had been using Break Free for years with Mobil 1 oil saved from dripping of new bottles to lube the guns. I now use Mobil 1 synthetic oil in spray can and it does wonders. My CS45 had a terrible trigger that even made noise when you pulled it when I bought the gun, now it is smooth as silk and the gun shoots dead on at 10 yards.

DAdams
November 19, 2007, 06:14 PM
:scrutiny:and soon to arrive M&P 340 were SS cyl & bore :scrutiny:

This S&W guy must be living in a time warp. M&P 340s have been out for about 8 months.

When I contacted S&W about the M&P 340 DLC coating I was told "no ammonia" and use Hoppes Elite.

I use Outer Tri Care... the stuff that comes with the $9.95 cleaning kits. Pretty good on the bore if you let it soak a few minutes and then swab 3-4 times until clean.
I have used it externally on my blue steel gun, gotten it all over the plastic handle with no deletrerious effects.

I was using Outers on the exterior of the 642, now I use Elite.
I use the Kleen Bore clothes to get the front of the cylinder for the tough stuff.

My 642 is only a year old and the coating is mint.

cpalmer777
November 19, 2007, 08:30 PM
Hello 642 Club,
I just purchased a Crimson Trace LG 405 for a total price of $219.95 from Shooters-Resource.com. Included with the purchase is the free 75 minute "Shots in the Dark" DVD, by veteran firearms trainer Clyde Caceres. This seems to be a fair deal as far as my research indicates.

I hope this information will be beneficial to someone in the market for this product.

Thank you,

cpalmer777

Waldo Pepper
November 19, 2007, 08:41 PM
Can one get a SS trigger for our 642's?

The trigger material is my only complaint about the pistol. Why in God's name would they make such beautiful gun then stick a ugly dull MIM trigger on it for all to see?????

soloshot
November 19, 2007, 10:00 PM
DAdams,
Sorry, I meant to type "my" soon to arrive M&P 340 CT
I've wanted one of these for a while but they were not available until recently at my local gun shop.

I'll take a look at the Outer Tri Care
Thanks

DAdams
November 19, 2007, 10:19 PM
Sorry, I meant to type "my" soon to arrive M&P 340 CT
I've wanted one of these for a while but they were not available until recently at my local gun shop.

I'll take a look at the Outer Tri Care
Thanks

Ah, soloshot I understand now. I think you are going to really like the 340CT excellent choice don't forget to sign in on the 340 thread. A bunch of 340 Heads there. (thanks Mark :D).

Use the Hoppes Elite on the exterior according to S&W. Elite isn't very aggressive (a good thing) and I found it innefective for barrel and cylinder internals.

There is a write up on the 340 thread regarding DLC coating. It isn't much to look at, doesn't shine, you can't buff it, but it is tough and not light relective. Very stealthy. Mine is with me 90% of the time.

Welcome aboard to:
soloshot
(the great) Waldo Pepper
cpalmer triple 7s.

Nematocyst
November 20, 2007, 04:50 AM
A couple of years ago,
I watched an interview
with a guitarist in a band.

(I think it was Aerosmith.
It was at least a metal band.)

He was asked a question about drummers.

His response ended with this statement.
(Not paraphrased, but quoted exactly.)

"Mama, don't ever let your daughter go out with the drummer."

As a drummer, I can relate to that.

But, IMO, it all depends on what "mama"
wants her daughter to experience in life.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=67639&stc=1&d=1195547832

doc540
November 20, 2007, 09:32 AM
We give new meaning to the term, "keeping it in the pocket".:neener:

pdevi
November 20, 2007, 11:31 AM
I got my 442 last week and it rocks! Now I just need a carry holster. Any thoughts? Also- if I use the Break Free CLP everyone's talking up, will my bluing last? I guess I'm not sure how tough that finish is.

If you enjoyed reading about "642 Club Part Deux" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!