Great Grandad's 30'06 Mauser

PDA

JesseL
November 6, 2007, 12:14 AM
This rifle belonged to my Great Grandfather. I don't know any of it's history but it is a very elegant rifle that I'm looking forward to seeing restored.

It's a Mauser 98 in 30'06 Springfield. The only erial number I see is only four digits long. I' guessing it's an early commercial action. The stalk for the bolt handle has an unusual square profile and the knob is checkered on the underside. The extractor and the bolt stop were jeweled, though it's hard to see anymore. It has a single folding leaf express sight. The trigger guard is very narrow and elegantly shaped compared to the military variations.

Strangely the magazine box was never lengthened enough to fit most 30'06 rounds :confused:

I'd like to polish the metal and slow rust blue it, and see what can be done for the stock. The old bakelite butt plate is in pretty sad shape and I'll have to see what my option are for replacing it.

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m5/J_M_Lambert/Guns/100_3168.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m5/J_M_Lambert/Guns/100_3171.jpg

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m5/J_M_Lambert/Guns/100_3172.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Great Grandad's 30'06 Mauser" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Danny Creasy
November 6, 2007, 12:24 AM
What a neat old rifle. Thanks for sharing this with us.

rangerruck
November 6, 2007, 12:30 AM
that is a really sweet looking piece of wood on that baby.

Logan5
November 6, 2007, 12:57 AM
Thought it was a Winchester '54 for a minute there. Then I noticed the relief cut for stripper clips. ;)

It's a very fine looking rifle. Range report?

lencac
November 6, 2007, 01:45 AM
That sounds like a lot of trouble for an old firearm like that. Tell you what, I'll save you the time trouble and aggrevation. Just send that old beat up thing to me and then you won't have to worry about it any more :)

RevolvingCylinder
November 6, 2007, 03:31 AM
From what I've seen, the magazine length does not always need to be lengthened for the .30-06 Springfield. The standard magazine works just fine and accepts .30-06 without a hitch. All the sporterized Mausers in .30-06 Springfield I've countered do not have lengthened magazines and work just fine.

Dr.Rob
November 6, 2007, 04:30 AM
Not a stepped barrel? Probably a commercial rifle indeed. Are there markings on the receiver ring?

Dr.Rob
November 6, 2007, 04:36 AM
As for cleaning it up? Any smith can fit a recoil pad or buttplate.. refinishing could be done in a couple days with boiled linseed oil and turpentine mix.

PS that stock looks VERY English to me.

SlamFire1
November 6, 2007, 11:08 AM
It is not a commerical action. That "MOD 98" shows it was a German service rifle action. Your pictures are too fuzzy to see any more detail, if you posted clear pictures of the receiver top, and any inspector marks, could give you a better idea of when it was made.

The reason the box is not long enough for 30-06 rounds is because it is a 8X57 magazine box.

Lots of military rifles were "sporterized" after WWII. GI's brought these things back, either modified them, or the rifle got modified later. The level of gunsmithing depended on how much time and money the owner wanted to put into the rifle. My next door neighbor, a WWII vet, had a K98 gunsmithed in Austria, right after the war. Austrian gunsmith did nice metal work, installed scope mounts, sanded and checkered a K98 stock, but did not install a stock bolt. With the result the stock is split behind the recoil lug. I suspect the mounts and the Czech scope are worth several times more than the actual rifle.

By the time you get into the 60's, most sportizing jobs consisted of hacking the service stock down. "Butcherizing". Commerical rifles were cost competitive with gunsmith work by then, so you don't see as many nicely done rifles as yours.

JesseL
November 6, 2007, 12:25 PM
As for cleaning it up? Any smith can fit a recoil pad or buttplate.. refinishing could be done in a couple days with boiled linseed oil and turpentine mix.

I was just wondering what I could do for a buttplate that wouldn't look too out of place on this rifle. I'll have to start looking through the Brownell's catalog.

It is not a commerical action. That "MOD 98" shows it was a German service rifle action. Your pictures are too fuzzy to see any more detail, if you posted clear pictures of the receiver top, and any inspector marks, could give you a better idea of when it was made.

Unfortunately, any other marking are long gone due to grinding/polishing. The only visible marks are the "Mod.98", serial number, and a mark below the serial number that looks something like this:
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=66789&d=1194365406

The reason the box is not long enough for 30-06 rounds is because it is a 8X57 magazine box.

I know. I just thought it was strange that so much work would have been put into this rifle and then the gunsmith would have overlooked that detail.

Jim Watson
November 6, 2007, 12:34 PM
Heck, I know a guy, Belgian himself, who has a .30-06 commercial FN with an 8mm magazine that will not handle a long '06 spitzer. It will work with some of the shorter OAL loads, so he can get by.

The illustrated rifle is, as said, a pretty well sporterized military Mauser.
It has a Winchester safety conversion, but looks like the issue trigger. Looks like a military trigger guard that has been slimmed down. I can't tell if the bolt handle has been bent enough to clear a scope, but since the action is not drilled and tapped and the clip guide hump not removed, you might just as well leave it an iron sight gun. The barrel is pretty close to a Winchester Featherweight profile.

Not a Bubba job, but on the other hand, the smith didn't care enough to put his name on it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Great Grandad's 30'06 Mauser" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!