What caliber for Opossum? And night shooting is hard.

PDA

Chris B
November 6, 2007, 05:15 AM
Ok, so I woke up about 30 minutes ago to violent shreiks from just outside my window. I looked and saw an Opussum fighting my cat. I grabbed my bug out bag with light and large knife and dug up a co2 bb pistol. I ran out the front door of my apartment and around to the side where the fight was taking place. I shined my light on them and called to my cat. He ran past me and I could tell he was bleeding around his face. :mad: The Opossum stayed frozen in my light. I drew the pistol and aimed, only to realize that I've never shot at night before.

On a side note, I am a decent shot with a pistol but don't train much since I don't have one. The opossum would be deader than dead right now if I could've used my 870 but I'm in downtown Tampa so no dice.

So now I'm standing there with my light and bb gun fixed on the opossum, trying to figure out how to get a sight picture on the thing. :confused: I soon remember what I've read and put my thumbs together. I then realize how hard it is to line up black sights on a black target at night (when I finally do get a handgun you better believe it's gonna have some night sights). I finally get everything lined up and pull the trigger and what do you know I jerked the trigger and missed. Surprisingly the thing is still just standing there. So I let go of the trigger and pressed it again... nothing. Somehow I got a failure to return to battery on a bb gun. Tap the gun on my knee and I hear the trigger reset so I assume good to go. Get it all lined up again and SLOWLY SQUEEZE THE TRIGGER TO THE REAR. Got him just behind the ribs, as the bb didnt go exactly where I aimed it. He turns around and starts walking away rather slowly. I squeeze off a total of 6 shots (thats all I had loaded) scoring 4 hits. After the gun was empty I was watching him walk away. I saw what looked like a flesh would on his rear glimmering in my light. As I typed my cat came back and he does have a long but mostly superficial cut on his left shoulder. :cuss: Excuse the bloodlust but if he comes back I'm going to lodge a couple more pieces of copper in his ugly butt.

So, what caliber for Opossum?

And, what technique do you use with your flashlight and gun?

If you enjoyed reading about "What caliber for Opossum? And night shooting is hard." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
trickyasafox
November 6, 2007, 05:27 AM
for the BB gun- a bit of glow in the dark nail polish will help- apply to the sights and then just shine your flashlight on them while your walking out the door.

if your downtown I'm not sure what your legal options are. Check your local regs and see if it would be legal for you to use a super colabri type 22 round, it'd help with noise a fair bit.

again- not sure on legalities here so make sure you check local regs. you could probably just live trap the little guy.

U.S.SFC_RET
November 6, 2007, 05:50 AM
Sometimes it takes a lot to kill a opossum, BBs don't do it. 22s sometimes don't do it.

jeepmor
November 6, 2007, 06:25 AM
22shorts are pretty quiet and typically just solid bullets, not HP.

I used to shoot crows from my bedroom window as a kid at 30 yards. They had a tree like liked to land in and squawk from. A lot of grey jays met their demise from the top of that tree too. I used to call it the squawking post.

joebogey
November 6, 2007, 07:03 AM
I'd be worried bout the cat. Make sure it's had its shots. Possums carry a lot of disease.
Their scat can be deadly to horses.

Fatelvis
November 6, 2007, 07:12 AM
Forget worrying about shooting at night. Just train your cat to fight! :)

Jamie C.
November 6, 2007, 07:21 AM
7.62 x 54R works just fine on 'possums.
Their head just sort of disintegrates when it's hit....

J.C.

Sgt.Dusk
November 6, 2007, 07:26 AM
LOL

...but I'm sure you are right Jamie C.
No better caliber for everything that moves

Ozark Tracker
November 6, 2007, 08:13 AM
possums up close and personal, just whack him a couple of times with a small pipe, when he sulls up grab him by the tail put his head on the ground lay the small pipe across the back of his neck, pull on tail till you hear a snap, killed several dozen this way, no muss no fuss, no blood, just dead possum.

Sleeping Dog
November 6, 2007, 08:27 AM
Jamie C nailed it.

Plus, with 7.62x54r you don't need a flashlight. The muzzle flash will light up the area. :D

bogie
November 6, 2007, 08:54 AM
WHY grab a BB gun? Didn't you have something decent lying around?

When I was about 7-8 or so, us kids discovered a possum that had wandered in the day dangerously close to our henhouse. So we shot it with BB guns. A LOT. We stopped to reload. Several times. Then we weren't sure if it was playing possum or not, so we got our real blow and arrow (recurve, and practice points), and shot it with that. Then we still weren't sure, so we got the axe from the woodpile, and beheaded it...

I must have been about 8... Miracle I wasn't scarred for life...

joebogey
November 6, 2007, 08:58 AM
Then we still weren't sure, so we got the axe from the woodpile, and beheaded it...

I like a man that's thorough. :D

scout26
November 6, 2007, 09:09 AM
1. Hav-a-hart trap baited with peanut butter and a length of rope tied to the handle.

2. Lake, Pond or Garbage can filled with water.

3. This step is obvious.

30 cal slob
November 6, 2007, 09:15 AM
that opossum would have been better "dispatched" with a quality air gun and some hunting hollowpoint pellets, like RWS .177's.

i guess copper bb's are like copper-jacketed bullets. they're great for plinking and pesky birds, but not necessarily for larger varmints. they might penetrate, but don't do an awful lot of damage. i wonder if that possum will recover or die a lingering death from its wounds.

i've taken 'coons, chucks, and even a yote with .177 airguns and hunting hollowpoint pellets. you don't need to go overkill on the gun, but you should take care to ensure that you have the proper tools to make a humane kill!

sctman800
November 6, 2007, 09:50 AM
If you must be quiet I vote for the pipe or a solid 2x2, I have used the 2x2 with great sucess on raccoons. I also live in town so must be quiet. Are the new air rifles really powerful enough for possum size varmits? I had looked at them but even at 1200fps I thought the low weight of the projectile would make them useless for possum or coon. Jim.

22-rimfire
November 6, 2007, 11:15 AM
Around the house since I'm in the burbs, I'd probably use a 22 caliber air gun. Think head shots.

TallPine
November 6, 2007, 11:23 AM
Shoot one handed and hold your light in your other hand, back far enough so you can see your sights.

And a long barreled .22 rifle doesn't make much more noise than an airgun.

Chris B
November 6, 2007, 11:24 AM
WHY grab a BB gun? Didn't you have something decent lying around?

I have a Remington 597 (.22 lr) but I grabbed the BB gun because I'm pretty sure I'd be arrested for discharging a firearm in the city. There is also not a safe angle to fire as I am surrounded by apartments. I mostly posed the caliber question to see how tough the things are. I took the bayonet for my AR but I really didnt want to get that close to it since I didn't know if it was rabid and honestly didn't know much at all about opossum before last night.

possums up close and personal, just whack him a couple of times with a small pipe,

I guess that's whats next if he comes back. I didn't know they were so slow to flee. I mean, I shot him 4 times and he barely covered 15 feet in that time and I was firing slowly.

i wonder if that possum will recover or die a lingering death from its wounds.

This only crossed my mind after I'd shot it. I mostly wanted a carcas so I could have that tested for rabies instead of having the cat tested. And when I saw the blood on my cat I wanted a little opossum justice.

Forget worrying about shooting at night. Just train your cat to fight!

My cat's not very tactical, he's orange not black.:)

Shifty
November 6, 2007, 11:29 AM
dust off and nuke the place from orbit. only way to be sure

Geronimo45
November 6, 2007, 11:37 AM
If you wanted to use the .22, use .22 LR CBs. Very quiet, still get the job done. Or if you want to go the airgun route, Crosman's 357 - a 8-shot pellet-firing revolver - does a pretty great job. It's cheap, too.

Also... you can use pipes and all manner of gadgets, but the quick and violent application of a steel-toed boot will often do the job. Send him sailing into the great beyond. Beware of claws and such... but a very quickly delivered kick can avoid meeting the claws.

ClickClickD'oh
November 6, 2007, 11:41 AM
7.62 x 54R works just fine on 'possums.And if you want to be quite, you can always use the 91/30 at a good wacking stick.

boredelmo
November 6, 2007, 11:41 AM
Your strategies were completely wrong to begin with.

At least one dead possum a month from my Lab/retriever mix. : ) Dogs>cats :p

Anyways my dog makes a big racket every time he battles one and since possums come around in the middle of the night he wakes up the whole neighborhood.

My main mode of dispatch is a shovel and......a CO2 BB pistol! What fps does yours shoot? I have also used a pump action pellet rifle for much faster results.

A shovel works, possums play...possum (aka fake death). Pin him to the ground and he'll stop moving, then catapult him over your fence.

bluestarlizzard
November 6, 2007, 12:43 PM
had one of those .22 survival rifles back in the day. it became known as "the possum gun" just as dads dog northwest was the "possum hound". we had issues explaining to the possum population around here, that under our house WAS NOT good nesting territory. so northwest would chase 'em out from under the house and up a tree. then dad would shoot the sucker, then once it fell to the ground, northwest would give it a good sniffin' (just to make sure it was dead) and then lift his leg on the little bastard!
keep an eye on your cats wound. cats get infections easy and sometimes its not very noticable. i say, call your vet, and ask if you can't just get a round of antibiotics for him without having to go in.

tkkr
November 6, 2007, 01:14 PM
It doesnt matter if its in the city since you were protecting property/the cat

XDKingslayer
November 6, 2007, 01:21 PM
Get a Gamo air rifle in .22 caliber, they are almost completely silent. Mount a flashlight under the barrel and get a cheap BSA red dot site from WalMart.

Done deal.

Kimber1911_06238
November 6, 2007, 01:33 PM
high velocity airgun and head shots.....that will solve your possum problem.

DoubleTapDrew
November 6, 2007, 01:38 PM
After harassing your uncle's dog, a .45 ACP right between the headlights will shove them back about a foot and they'll be DRT. That was within city limits (suburban area), no cops called.
Get your cat checked for diseases and possibly have it take some defensive handgun classes :)

bluestarlizzard
November 6, 2007, 02:12 PM
"Get your cat checked for diseases and possibly have it take some defensive handgun classes"

:eek: no guns for cats!:what: they'll take over!

M60
November 6, 2007, 02:13 PM
Suppressed .22lr with subsonic ammo. Nice and quiet, with enough punch to take care of da bidness.

Or you could go for the big guns...

Suppressed ruger 77/44.

Nothing says "knock it off" to a opposum like a 300 grain projo.

http://m-mason.smugmug.com/photos/211062578-L.jpg

Mark.

35Rem
November 6, 2007, 02:22 PM
1. Hav-a-hart trap baited with peanut butter and a length of rope tied to the handle.

2. Lake, Pond or Garbage can filled with water.

3. This step is obvious.

The defininition of Irony. Using a "hav-a-hart" named trap to drown something...

frank23185
November 6, 2007, 02:26 PM
why are we killin' possums?

M60
November 6, 2007, 02:28 PM
Because they taste like chicken? :barf:

Mark.

SoCalShooter
November 6, 2007, 02:29 PM
What you need are tracer rounds for you BB gun. :O)

bluestarlizzard
November 6, 2007, 02:36 PM
"Because they taste like chicken?

Mark."

true story: my boss went to dinner at a friends house. he had prepared several types of meat for his geusts. everybody ate the wonderful food and had a good time. during the round of post dinner drinks, someone asked there host, "what was that tasty dark meat?". several other geusts chimed in, "oh, yes, that was delicious! what was it?" their host, smiling at the complements, replied "possum roadkill"
second story (yes, its still true): dad used to work construction. one day he and his co-workers were sitting around talking about their moms homecooked dinners and favorite foods. one of the men, mentioned that he loved comeing home and seeing "mr. possum sitten in the oven grinnin' with an apple in his mouth"
so remember folks, possum is good eatin' to some!

Funderb
November 6, 2007, 02:44 PM
Get a petzl headlight or some other LED light brand.
It lights up the sights, and the target.
I have done hours of fun night shooting with
a .22 and my trusty headlight.
You can get a 10/22 with .22 pistol match. It's quiet, and
you can shoot it and get away with it.

bluestarlizzard
November 6, 2007, 02:49 PM
i second the headlamp vote. thats what me and dad use for copperhead extermination at night. they are also good for anything you need two hands to do at night.

oldcop1971
November 6, 2007, 03:22 PM
had one in the back yard, figured 22, got my pistol, shot him in the head, he does this 'hsssssssss' and bares teeth...hmm, 2nd shot to head, same reaction, eight:what: shots to body later, he be dead.
there was a man in south alabama that was going to raise them domestically for eating purposes, never did catch on tho.
oc71

30Cal
November 6, 2007, 03:23 PM
why are we killin' possums?

+1

If you want to kill stuff at night (or leave your cat out at night), you should do it on your own property. Not on someone else's. If you don't have the land owner's permission, you're painting us all in an irresponsible light.

Ty

bluestarlizzard
November 6, 2007, 03:27 PM
"there was a man in south alabama that was going to raise them domestically for eating purposes, never did catch on tho":scrutiny:

hmmmmm.....i wonder why?:confused: oh yeah, cause possums are ewwy!:eek:

T J
November 6, 2007, 03:51 PM
Years ago when I was living inside of a town, dogs would not shut up in the middle of the night and possum would not leave. Grabbed possum by the tail and did my best immitation of an olympic hammer throw and sent him into a neighbor's yard. Problem solved.
Now days, I have dogs that take care of possums, coons, cats etc...I just have to get rid of the remains after they have eaten them 'sigh'.

76shuvlinoff
November 6, 2007, 09:08 PM
Opposums are easy, the last two varmits my dogs tangled with were skunks.

I was briefly tempted to shoot the dogs.

glockman19
November 6, 2007, 09:35 PM
Opposums are tough critters. I pitchforked one against a tree once, it played dead and ran away.

I'd go with a .22LR.

CTPistol
November 6, 2007, 09:41 PM
yet another vote for the supressed Savage .22LR

:D

best class III for the buck one can get.

:D

sm
November 6, 2007, 09:42 PM
City:
Good old fashioned home-made slingshot. Fork from a tree limb, surgical tubing for rubber, leather pouch and Marbles work real well.
Quiet, easy to conceal and very very effective on critters such as this.
One wants to stop the threat to pet, or property.

Rural:
I've used slugs from a single shot in .410, and 20 bore.
Single shot .22 rifles, whatever is handy.
Simple brass bead front sight on an old single shot .22 rifle works real well for this.

Hogfan1911
November 6, 2007, 09:48 PM
if your downtown I'm not sure what your legal options are. Check your local regs and see if it would be legal for you to use a super colabri type 22 round, it'd help with noise a fair bit.
The Aguila super colibri's worked great for me on 2 of the critters. Of course, they cooperated nicely by trying to hide under my deck, allowing for head shots from about 2 feet. Didn't have to aim, just stuck the barrel of my AR-7 as close as I could reach and bang--dead possum. Pretty quiet. As to the question of why are we killing possums, these cocky little suckers were coming into my garage, right next to the back door, barely after dark. I have young children. 'nuff said.

kansas45
November 6, 2007, 09:50 PM
Hell, you don't need to waste ammo on a possum. Just tee off on him with a 9iron! :D

KiltedClaymore
November 6, 2007, 09:56 PM
or a nice heavy bat

American_Pit_Bull
November 6, 2007, 09:56 PM
As others have stated, possums are pretty tough... You might have hit him all six times with the BB gun and then he got tired of looking at you, so he went about his business.

The only thing about shooting any animal with BBs is the risk of infection and the animal dying slowly.

R.W.Dale
November 6, 2007, 09:57 PM
What caliber for Opossum?

http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/81/99/22189981.jpg

or even a good size 10

http://www.made-in-china.com/image/2f0j00BeMtHvOGgEWpM/Ranger-Boot.jpg

Crunker1337
November 6, 2007, 10:05 PM
There may be city ordnances against firing guns, so maybe it's not a good idea to use firearms unless you really have to.

Get a high-power air rifle or pistol.
This one looks REALLY sweet.
http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/model.pl?model_id=591
http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/model.pl?model_id=1227

PCP is fine too but I personally would prefer CO2

1lostinspace
November 6, 2007, 10:11 PM
Here is my HD hand gun Glock 21 45ACP with Trijicon night sights and M-6 laser flashlight combo. If you do get night sites get the front one a different color then the back. It makes it easier to rapid fire you can tell what is the front and what is the back

Slugless
November 6, 2007, 10:12 PM
# 50

What, take PCP and go hand to hand with a possum?

You'd feel no pain but you wouldn't remember what happened when you woke up. "Why am I covered in blood and fur? And where's the cat?"

I'd prefer CO2 over PCP for sure.

KiltedClaymore
November 6, 2007, 10:15 PM
lol i would PAY to watch that match

bluestarlizzard
November 6, 2007, 10:17 PM
1lostinspace,
dad shot a possem with a glock (9mm). the possem was a step down and right in front of him. dad shot it in the back of the skull and the possum, leaped into the air like a cannon. dad said he was on eye leavel with it. so if you shoot a possum watch out for aireal acrobatics!

yesit'sloaded
November 6, 2007, 10:23 PM
Crossbow with an attached light. Nice and quiet with all the power and killing power you need. On a more realistic note, a cheap laser might not be a bad idea. IIRC Daisy makes one for around $15 that fits on some co2 pistols.

fast eddie
November 6, 2007, 10:28 PM
"mr. possum sitten in the oven grinnin' with an apple in his mouth"
so remember folks, possum is good eatin' to some!You're Jed Clampett, aren't you?

Mannix
November 6, 2007, 10:31 PM
Get an $8 crosman/daisy/marksman slingshot, some ball bearings and aim for the head. That's probably the cheapest solution. I've used my Benjamin 392 to take out a couple raccoons that were making a mess out of our garbage(I lost count of the rabbits I've caught messing with the rose bushes), one well placed shot to the head and they were done. If you want a repeater, look at the RWS Hammerli 850 AirMagnum in .22.

realityscope
November 6, 2007, 10:34 PM
I mostly wanted a carcas so I could have that tested for rabies

They can't carry rabies, coons are a different story though...

KiltedClaymore
November 6, 2007, 10:34 PM
the crossbow aint a bad idea! it would pin them to the ground when it goes thru.

bluestarlizzard
November 6, 2007, 10:36 PM
"You're Jed Clampett, aren't you?"

dude, i was quoting someone else. if i go to dinner at someones house, i ask what kind of meat BEFORE i eat it!

Gaucho Gringo
November 6, 2007, 10:42 PM
In the early 1970's Portland. OR was overun by a possum population explosion. They were everywhere and in great numbers too. I lived in a big old house with 5 other roomates. all of us were in our early 20's. There was a 50 ft long retaining wall at the back of the lot. And there was a yard light that would light up the wall at night. And guess what, the possums would line up on top of the wall at night. We had a bunch of old baseball bats on the back porch. When we would get bored one of us would yell "possum hunt' we would grab the bats, turn on the lights and proceed to attack and kill the possums with the bats. In the 4 years I lived there I could see no decline in the possum population. It may not seem too PC but we were trying to protect our 4 cats we had from the possums. 35 years later I have gone 3 or 4 years without seeing one. I see a lot more 35lb raccoons than anything else nowadays.

Greybeard
November 6, 2007, 10:52 PM
I also live in city where firearms discharge is illegal. The last possum I took out was with a 1970's era wood 34" Louisville Slugger (Johnny Bench signature). Two strikes. And the neighbors never knew why their dogs quit barking. :cool:

jungleroy
November 6, 2007, 10:54 PM
I usually use a pitchfork.
They also don't play dead when your playing for keeps.
Watch your self they are very quick when they want to be.
They are also capable of snapping a broom handle clean in half, with just one chomp of their jaws. Like vicegrips, and their bodies built like tanks.
Be careful.

kahr404life
November 6, 2007, 10:57 PM
Opossums are very hard to kill. I would suggest a Barret .50 cal or one of those old English double guns in .450 or greater caliber. If the opossum charges you hold your ground until it's very close then shoot it in its eyes. God help you if you miss. It will chew your toe off and scratch the c##p out of your ankles. The hide makes a fine winter throw rug for your bathroom (in front of toilet) floor.;)

CajunBass
Oh sure. All this advice is well and good.

But suppose it's a ZOMBIE possum? :what:

Jimmy Newman
I mostly wanted a carcas so I could have that tested for rabies
They can't carry rabies, coons are a different story though...

This is incorrect... it is very rare, but possums can get and transmit rabies.

I'd get one of the RWS Magnum 460 air rifles (just because I've been wanting one)... .177@1350fps or .22@950fps.

Of course, they're as much as a good "real" gun... about $500.

bluestarlizzard
November 6, 2007, 10:59 PM
"But suppose it's a ZOMBIE possum?"

you take an ax to its neck. duhhhhhhh.... or blow it to smitherines with....hmmmmm..... a 50 cal.

wideym
November 6, 2007, 11:06 PM
I've lived in a rual area for several years now and there is aways a problem with opossums and skunks. My home seems to attract them in droves. Just be sure of whats behind the country rat when you shoot. It was problably the sixth or seventh varmint I heard crawling underneath my home when I lept into action. Immediately dawning my body armor, slinging an extra bandolier of mags around my neck, making sure my AR was topped off I raced out to see a skunk trying to make its way between the underpinning and the central aircon unit. After blinding the neighbor hood with my surefire and lining up my aimpoint..blamo. The 62gn SS109 penatrator went through Pepe', the coil and lodged into the compressor. Cost me $980 to replace the aircon unit and a mild chewing out by Grandpa. Oh yeah, the skunk got under the house, curled up in the only place a human can't reach and died. The smell lasted about eight months.(after the first three months you don't seem to notice)

fast eddie
November 6, 2007, 11:12 PM
dude, i was quoting someone else. if i go to dinner at someones house, i ask what kind of meat BEFORE i eat it!OK bluestarlizzard I re-read the story and I stand corrected. You still made the top post in this thread, though.

Jamie C.
November 6, 2007, 11:25 PM
But suppose it's a ZOMBIE possum?

Didn't read my previous post, did ya?

7.62 x 54R works just as well on zombie 'possum... or zombie anything else, for that matter.

Though I admit that something like zombie rhinoceros could be a bit more difficult to handle.... Shot placement would become much more critical ya know. :D

J.C.

Mikebnice
November 6, 2007, 11:34 PM
Bogie
here is your opossum head back :neener:

http://archervert.canalblog.com/images/Remains_vf.jpg

Stephen21B
November 6, 2007, 11:36 PM
When I was a kid on the farm we would just chase the possum down and kick it to death, humane? No but effective

jrfoxx
November 6, 2007, 11:43 PM
Hmmm.I really like the crossbow suggestion....
I got a small one off Ebay a while back for $20 shipped, and think it would easily handle the job quietly and effectively and a resonable range....its actually surprisingly accurate and powerful once yo get the hang of it.

Harry Paget Flashman
November 7, 2007, 12:58 AM
I fought the opossum wars a few years back. Because it was mostly late at night I didn't want to disturb neighbors so I used the quiet Aguila .22 Colibres. There's not much "umphh" to them but opossums are reluctant to leave the cat food bowl and you can lay a single shot .22 rifle right up against their noggin and dispatch them. Because the Colibres are weak it is best to double tap them after they have fallen over. I have shot some only once, left them for morning clean up and they'd walked off.

SilentArmy
November 7, 2007, 03:07 AM
Suppressed P-22, 10-22, or MarkII! I am called Silent for a reason:neener:

lloydkristmas
November 7, 2007, 12:42 PM
We killed a possum with a paintball gun one time. It was harassing my dogs and we didnt have anything better at the time. We stuck some paintballs in the freezer and cranked up the velocity of the gun. That night when it came back, we were ready. It took about 10-12 rounds to kill him, but not all were critical shots. Those things are amazingly tough. The second or third shot did serious damage to its head, because blood splattered all over the fence, but he kept going. We just chased it and kept shooting until it died.

Owens
November 7, 2007, 01:17 PM
Ignore them. No rabies (Have heard can but VERY rare), no distemper.

bluestarlizzard
November 7, 2007, 01:19 PM
"Ignore them. No rabies (Have heard can but VERY rare), no distemper."

hey, if its fighting with my cat, i got my cats back. its a pride thing. (lions in prides, get it?)

GunTech
November 7, 2007, 01:21 PM
A long barreled 22 bolt gun and standard velocity 22lr can be very quiet. And as noted, LR CB caps are about as loud as an airgun. You can get a light that mounts above your scope for night shooting from several sources like Cabelas.

Or you can keep the pets inside, and put out a bowl of antifreeze. Problem solved.

fspitzdorf
November 7, 2007, 01:28 PM
feral cat, coon, possum, skunk... night time... or any time... 12 ga 3" T shot...

Soap
November 7, 2007, 01:30 PM
Whichever caliber is the flat part of a shovel is my favorite. :p

At least you realize now that handling a gun at night is not that easy.

Radjxf
November 7, 2007, 02:17 PM
I live in the sticks. I've found the Sig P220 with 230gr Ranger-T's does the job, at least up close. No playing dead, it's for real.

Since you live "in town", might I suggest:

1) Put cat on steroids
2) Suppressed weaponry, maybe Super Colibris
3) Don't leave catfood out at night
4) Move to the sticks so you can kill attacking possums with reckless abandon
5) Impale dead possum on a stick to break down the morale of the other possums

unspellable
November 7, 2007, 04:16 PM
First, you must realize the possum was standing behind the door when the brains were passed out. The elevator don't go all the way to the top floor.

You yell, "Boo!" at them. Then give them about seven minutes to think it over. At this point they will either drop dead of fright or forget what the hell was going on and wander off to become road kill.

macadore
November 7, 2007, 08:06 PM
I used to have opossum issues when I lived in town, but I did not kill them. I put on leather gloves, picked them up by the tail, put them in a live trap, and took them out in the country the next day. They’re beneficial in the right environment.

bluestarlizzard
November 7, 2007, 08:08 PM
"They’re beneficial in the right environment."

yeah, fertilizer....*grin*

Pigspitter
November 7, 2007, 08:51 PM
7.62 x 54R works just fine on 'possums.
And the good thing is you can give 'em the bayonete with your mosin

Pigspitter
November 7, 2007, 08:55 PM
I usually go with a sub-sonic .22 or my bow, but I once took one with a chainsaw (and ruined a nice shirt)

Conqueror
November 7, 2007, 09:55 PM
My Possum/Cat/Whatever gun:

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/2897/imgp0067us0.jpg

colt.45
November 7, 2007, 10:03 PM
i use my tuned crosman 2260. it has an illuminated reticle scope and ill pop em out of my window when i see em.

btw i am getting ~870 fps with 21.1 grain pellets for almost 40 ft lbs. sorry, i have to bragg about it!

kermit315
November 7, 2007, 10:12 PM
tannerite????

but really, good heavy duty club should do the trick, then toss it in a dumpster and away it goes.

Hutch
November 7, 2007, 10:15 PM
A possum-on-the-halfshell (armadillo) was digging my yard at night. While I was out of town, my wife and daughter handled it. I got a proud phone call. My 23-yo daughter lit it up from about 20' with her bedside table gun, a 3" S&W 547. Federal 124gr +P EFMJ, to be exact. One-shot stop. Proud of her, I am.

Man, living in a truly urban apartment setting, I don't envy your choices. I'm thinking T-ball bat, and resolute action.

6_gunner
November 7, 2007, 10:31 PM
1) Put cat on steroids
2) Suppressed weaponry, maybe Super Colibris
3) Don't leave catfood out at night
4) Move to the sticks so you can kill attacking possums with reckless abandon
5) Impale dead possum on a stick to break down the morale of the other possums

This thread is cracking me up! Here I am at the library, trying to write a paper (okay, I'm not trying that hard) and all I can think about is the legions of undead possums lurking in every shadow. :uhoh:

Zombie possums...just one more reason why I need a Thompson. :evil:

stevereno1
November 7, 2007, 10:44 PM
22 rifle. Mine is a marlin model 60. use remington sub-sonic rounds. They are quiet and work on stray cats too.

stevereno1
November 7, 2007, 10:47 PM
BTW in Georgia, they're just possums. Or "nasty, stinkin, dirty, ugly, yard walkers" as my dad-in law calls them.

stevereno1
November 7, 2007, 10:53 PM
i would also recommend the .50bmg.

CNYCacher
November 7, 2007, 11:14 PM
You mentioned that he froze in the light. They'll do that on ya. Next time go out with your flashlight and a whacking implement like a bat. Shine the light in his face, lay light on ground still pointing at his face. He'll stare into the light until you brain him with the bat.

geko45 possum
http://www.richnamy.com/gallery/d/39364-2/101_0520.JPG
i can has ninja b00tz?

Geronimo45
November 7, 2007, 11:26 PM
The elevator don't go all the way to the top floor.
Sometimes won't come out of the basement. It's a wonder that, of all the extinct critters, the possums aren't one of 'em. It's practically a California Condor with no wings, in the mental department.

wuchak
November 7, 2007, 11:44 PM
I'm all for hunting game for food but killing a possum just doesn't make any sense. Can someone please explain what damage or harm a possum causes to property? They eat dead animals which helps keep disease from spreading. Their low body temperature makes rabies extremely unlikely. The attempt to breed them probably failed because opossums are very difficult to keep. Their diet is so varied that it's hard to get them the nutrients they need in captivity.

My suggestion is leave the possum alone and keep the cat inside where it belongs. Domestic cats are a completely unnatural predator in the US. It's basically like introducing a tiger on a smaller scale. Unless they are keeping mice and rats out of the barn they belong in the house. They kill millions of song birds annually and are a major contributor to their continual decline in population. Bottom line is the opossum belongs there, the cat doesn't.

Possums also don't stick around one area for long. They might stick around for a few days but then they move on.

from http://www.opossum.org/discourage.html
# Opossums regularly consume insects, snails, worms, rats, mice, and carrion. They can actually help keep your yard free of these pests.
# They are far less of a health risk to you or your children or pets than nearly any other wild animal. By eliminating the opossums, you may create a niche that will be filled by a less desirable species. Rabies and viral diseases (e.g., distemper) are practically unheard of in the opossum.
# They are exceptionally non-aggressive and non-destructive. They will not dig up your lawn, chew wood or wires, or create burrows. They do not "attack" anything that is not a food source, and is not threatening them. If you keep prey animals such as birds, rodents, or rabbits, you must keep them secure in their enclosures from any wild animal. Adult cats and adult opossums generally get along together, or ignore one another. Dogs are a serious threat to opossums, but not vice versa.
# Just because you see an opossum around does not mean that they are the ones causing your trouble. Opossums are much less secretive than animals that cause damage, and you are more likely to see them, when it is actually another animal doing the deed. It very unusual for them to be the culprits of any damage to property or lawns.

I find that some of the descriptions of the inhumane methods of killing or attempting to kill these non-destructive animals posted on this thread paint a rather disturbing picture of the mental health of the posters. Somehow taking the high road doesn't seem to apply to opossums.

JeremySmith
November 7, 2007, 11:52 PM
They're actually pretty interesting little animals. Know your enemy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Didelphimorphia
http://www.opossum.org/

They've supposedly been around since the dinosaurs, so they'll probably manage to hang on for a while longer. I generally leave them be, unless one of the dogs mauls one. In that case I use a piece of 2" steel pipe to finish them off and not disturb the neighbors. I'll never forget the one I used a 20 Ga slug on when I was younger - removed the chest area entirely, and separated the back end from the front, and the thing was still crawling. I'd rather have a ton of possums in the back yard than raccons!

Anyone know the defination of bifurcated?;)

stevereno1
November 7, 2007, 11:59 PM
my wife is scared of them. Good point though.

Crunker1337
November 8, 2007, 01:00 AM
I still don't think using a firearm within city limits, near an apartment, is a good idea at all.

A air-rifle, slingshot, or crossbow pistol is what you need. Quiet, not overkill, and they will get the job done. With the exception of the air-rifle, cheap also. An air-rifle is actually probably your worst choice, as ones powerful enough to kill a possum are quite expensive except for the single shot versions.

hemiram
November 8, 2007, 05:53 AM
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=66861&stc=1&d=1194517177

The above pic was taken back in 1999, they are almost 9 years old now. They are aging quite well:

Molly is kind of camera shy, most of her pics are blurry, but here's King from about a year or so ago:

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=63921&d=1189761317

The grey and white one, Molly, takes care of any four legged invaders that are dumb enough to come into HER yard! Last possum made it about 30 seconds before his throat was torn out. The other one, King, just supervises, and backs her up if she needs it. Last time he got involved was when Molly got into it with a Raccoon, and it bit her someplace. King rushed in and chomped the coon in the butt, Molly then grabbed him, shook him about 100 times and threw him like a ball, into a tree. She's done the same thing with Possums several times, so it is on purpose. She's killed many Opossums, skunks, a groundhog, and the one Raccoon. King is the Mouse, Mole, and Rat specialist. He's smart enough to leave the heavy work to Molly.

The Raccoon bounced off the tree, and they tag teamed it a short time before Molly began circling around it, getting ready to finish it off. The neighbor's kid grabbed her tail and broke her "concentration". At that point, we got the dogs away and into the house. The next morning, the coon was trying to get into the neighbors house. He got taken away by animal control and tested for rabies. He was in very bad shape from the mauling Molly gave him. She doesn't kid around. Even the neighbor's giant lab pup (120 LBS and very scrawny) got harrassed the first few times he came over the fence. Now, she tolerates him, but glares at him and he falls apart. He's terrified of her.

Funderb
November 8, 2007, 10:09 AM
"We killed a possum with a paintball gun one time. It was harassing my dogs and we didnt have anything better at the time. We stuck some paintballs in the freezer and cranked up the velocity of the gun. That night when it came back, we were ready. It took about 10-12 rounds to kill him, but not all were critical shots. Those things are amazingly tough. The second or third shot did serious damage to its head, because blood splattered all over the fence, but he kept going. We just chased it and kept shooting until it died."

That's pretty awful man.
Couldn't you just stab it or shoot it with anything else?
I'd rather not be bludgeoned to death with baseballs at 150mph.
(About the equivalent)

JeremySmith
November 8, 2007, 01:06 PM
"We killed a possum with a paintball gun one time. It was harassing my dogs and we didnt have anything better at the time. We stuck some paintballs in the freezer and cranked up the velocity of the gun. That night when it came back, we were ready. It took about 10-12 rounds to kill him, but not all were critical shots. Those things are amazingly tough. The second or third shot did serious damage to its head, because blood splattered all over the fence, but he kept going. We just chased it and kept shooting until it died."

That's pretty awful man.
Couldn't you just stab it or shoot it with anything else?
I'd rather not be bludgeoned to death with baseballs at 150mph.
(About the equivalent)

Good point - imagine the condemnation that'd of happened if it had been:

"We killed a puppy with a paintball gun one time. It was harassing my cats and we didnt have anything better at the time. We stuck some paintballs in the freezer and cranked up the velocity of the gun. That night when it came back, we were ready. It took about 10-12 rounds to kill him, but not all were critical shots. Those things are amazingly tough. The second or third shot did serious damage to its head, because blood splattered all over the fence, but he kept going. We just chased it and kept shooting until it died."

I suppose you could change it any number of ways...(what about the children....) Yeah, they're creepy looking, and not cuddly, but they aren't aggressive. Humanely dispatch them if they're injured or your going to eat 'em.

Noxx
November 8, 2007, 01:11 PM
Possums are tough as nails and less attractive to boot. We used to have quite a bit of trouble with them when I stayed with my folks out on the very edge of suburbia.

.22lr is great in the daylight if you can make a clean shot, if not you end up with bloody, running possum, I prefer the 20g if a firearm can be discharged, and any blunt object if not.

I don't think I'd ever take after one with a bb gun, seems like an awful lot of effort, bb's, and unnecessarily hard on mr possum.

RandyB
November 8, 2007, 01:48 PM
A 1,000 fps type pellet rifle will work.
A .410 with #4 shot is good.
I have killed them with a blowgun (.68 cal, not one of the .40)
A .22 with the subsonics is my preferred dispatch with a .22.
Around home I prefer the .410 due to its effectiveness and lesser risk of .22 traveling way down range.

cracked junior
November 8, 2007, 02:21 PM
when i was about 13. i got the bb gun out to shoot a possum. it didnt work to well. i tried chest, head and stomach shots. untill the bb gun was out of bbs. so i resorted to using my boots and stomped it instead.

parents kepted other guns locked up. but not the bb guns.

GCW5
November 8, 2007, 02:22 PM
Grab the possum by the tail & toss him over the fence. They don't hurt anything. I would guess that if a possum is fighting a cat, then it was probably a mama protecting babies.

That dosn't mean I don't kill one once in a while, but it's normally to eat. durring season, a.22 to the head does the job. the best way to fix it is to boil the possum with a couple potatos & carrots and an onion till it pulls from the bone. Dip grease off the top of water, throw away everything but the possum. Cool enough to bone easily. Put meat in baking dish, cover with your favorite BBQ sause and bake @ 350 for 3 hours. YUM YUM!!!!!!!!!

bluestarlizzard
November 8, 2007, 02:48 PM
"Possums also don't stick around one area for long. They might stick around for a few days but then they move on."

we've had possums move in under our house. we've had them climb INTO our house. a possum can do some serouise damage to a dog or cat if it is so inclind. we live on 9 acres of wooded land. if mr. possum wants to hang out in the woods. thats cool. but when mr. possum starts hanging around our house, actions will be taken. those actions do include a small bit of lead flying high speed into its furry little skull. our cats are indoor/outdoor cats. they were rasied that way and i'm not going to limit them due to a non endangerd animal. now if its not a threat i'm going to leave it alone, but if its in a position to do harm or be unsafe, then mr. possum or mr. copperhead is not going to be in this world much longer.
and, for the record, their are people out there (not me) that think possum is good eating.

Gary Frost
November 8, 2007, 10:18 PM
I dispatch several a week using this method, I quickly run out and give them a goodly boot, (makes them roll right up). Then a few whacks with a framing hammer to the head. Repeat as necessary.

plainsbilly
June 28, 2009, 11:26 PM
step(1 get gloves, flashlight and framing hammer
step(2 grap mr. oP by the tail and drag backwards
step(3 hit repeatedly in head with hammer
step(4 makes really good coyote bait (their the only thing around here that willeat them)
:evil:

Prophet
June 28, 2009, 11:43 PM
I got one on the run this summer with the 20ga, I didn't want him around because of the dogs (and I thought mamma dog was gonna have pups). 1 round of hi-brass 6-shot didn't put him down, second one did the trick. I'm a mountain boy though, you'd probably have a hard time gettin' away with one like that in the city. .22 caliber pellet gun should do the trick. I've killed squirrels with mine. One was instant dead at about 70ft, right behind the left shoulder. I was chasing them out of the vegatable garden. Never tried it with a potassumus, but I have no doubt that with the right pellet and right shot, it'd knock one out.

+1, bluestarlizzard. The same ones move and breed in the same old brushpile behind our house every year, and stay there all summer if we let them. The babies must remember to come back there as adults for some odd reason (even though we've blasted a couple over the years because of the dogs).

Some of the posts in this thread cracked me up... alas; IBTL

41022collector
June 28, 2009, 11:47 PM
Yeah a shot in the city tends to piss people off unless you are in my hood and when you do not hear shots, you know they are reloading.

Personally I keep a .22lr Older Ruger RST semi-auto pistol with a 1980's version legal Sionics Supressor (with the wipes *eye roll) around for just such a purpose, rats, poss etc. I use the 60 gr Aguilla .22 subsonic round that does extremely well. It dispatches such pests in one shot as long as I am on target. We also use this down at the docks at whisky island to dispatch those dang shore rats where we have the boat docked.

For an air rifle, you either need mass and/or velocity and the vel needed is close to 1100 fps for a .177 and 950fps for .22 pellets due to small gr weight. In air I prefer to dispatch pests with the Crossman Model 1100 Co2 shotgun with a .380 steal ball or 38/40 cal blowgun dart or a one of the German 9mm air rifles.

Regards,
Mike

JImbothefiveth
June 28, 2009, 11:47 PM
a bowl of antifreeze Just make sure there aren't any kids or animals you don't want to kill anywhere near.

22 rifle. Mine is a marlin model 60. use remington sub-sonic rounds. They are quiet I regularly shoot sub-sonic rounds for competition. They are still loud enough that I wouldn't shoot them in city limits.

lions
June 28, 2009, 11:49 PM
http://www.iwillnotbeavictim.com/flashlight_hold-page.html

This website has pictures and descriptions of various techniques. I like the Harries hold. I roll my left hand (with light) up a little higher and tighter to the back of my right hand (with gun), than what is shown in the picture. For me, that puts a little light on the front sight and I can line that up with the silhouette of the rear sight. It also seems to naturally put the light right where I am looking and where the gun is pointing.

As for what caliber, I grew up in the country and had no need to be discreet so a 12ga did just fine.

proplinker
June 28, 2009, 11:57 PM
Try a 17M2...I have killed 6 in my hen house in the last year. it is not as noisy as the 22's.

Clarence
June 29, 2009, 09:04 AM
.22 cal CB longs made by CCI are sudden death on opossums. If used in a rifle they are quieter than a lot of pellet guns.

Deltaboy
June 29, 2009, 09:08 AM
22 shorts will GETRDONE !

oneounceload
June 29, 2009, 09:45 AM
Since you're inside the city limits, go with a bat or shovel - keeps you far enough away so YOU don't get scratched and will easily dispose of the critter. You might also want to keep your cat inside at night - if there are possums, you can bet there are other critters like skunks around that carry all sorts of nasty diseases

EAJ
June 29, 2009, 03:55 PM
There’s a baby possum that occasionally comes into our porch at night and eats the cat food. The cats don't mind him and we don't have the heart to kill it. We call him Rocky and usually hear him before we see him. He's a noisy eater. When we hear him we usually go out on the patio and suggest he go home, which he does without any additional prompting on our part. He quietly walks to the door and leaves. There's a forest behind the house which has been there for the 30 years we've lived here which is about to be developed into a residential community at which time much of the wildlife in the area will loose their homes. We’ve tried to stop it, but county government seems to be more interested in growth (sprawl) than in the quality of life for its current residents. We’re certainly going to miss the ambience and wildlife the area supports.

jimmyraythomason
June 29, 2009, 04:29 PM
I know modern air rifles are very powerful weapons. I have SERIOUS doubts,however, about shooting an Opossum with one where killing it is the intent. I have killed hundreds of 'possums in my lifetime and find a .22 lr to be about the minimum caliber and only head shots taken. NEVER a body shot. I would only choose an air rifle to shew the bugger away.

rcmodel
June 29, 2009, 04:32 PM
Well, if you shoot one at all with a modern air rifle, it will certainly do more then "shew the bugger away".

A body shot will certainly kill him, just not quickly & humainly.

And I suppose a pellet to the brain would kill one as well as a .22, if you hit his tiny little brain at all.

rc

DAVIDSDIVAD
June 29, 2009, 05:29 PM
I've seen a fair share of possums go down with one .177 pellet either in the ear or behind the ear.

Gaiudo
June 29, 2009, 05:37 PM
as for this:
My suggestion is leave the possum alone and keep the cat inside where it belongs. Domestic cats are a completely unnatural predator in the US. It's basically like introducing a tiger on a smaller scale. Unless they are keeping mice and rats out of the barn they belong in the house. They kill millions of song birds annually and are a major contributor to their continual decline in population. Bottom line is the opossum belongs there, the cat doesn't.

We live in the country... possums don't just leave. They compete for the dog/cat food, and will put up a good fight with either of the domestic species. As for "possum belongs there, the cat doesn't", that's just unadulterated horse hocky. We keep cats to control the rats/mice, and they never come into the house. They are not "house cats", they are there to keep the pest population down. Your one exception is the rule around our place.

LaserSpot
June 29, 2009, 10:16 PM
A catch stick (like trappers use) is handy if you corner it in the garage or somewhere you don't want to make a mess. Use it to drag the bugger outside without getting scratched.

I made mine from a 3-4’ piece of 1" PVC pipe, some vinyl coated steel cable, and a couple hose clamps. The cable is hose-clamped to one end, then runs through the handle. It has a slot and another hose clamp at the other end to jam the cable to lock it.

Once outside, you can stand on the stick if you need both hands to do the deed. A .22 short target round sounds like an air gun from a 24” barrel.

I wouldn't use less than .22 LR for running shots. I chased a possum out of the barn last week and snapped one off in the dark when he ran back in; couldn't see much through the scope, but he only went 15'.

glennser
June 30, 2009, 06:53 AM
I can't really see the point in killing them either, for one thing you'll never eradicate them completely and if you leave pet food outside some wild animals are going to come for it no matter what you do, and it is true that cats do more damage to wildlife than pretty much anything else.
Anyway that said there's no excuse for cruelty, if you do feel it's necessary to kill something you should do it as quickly and painlessly as possible, why not just hit it over the head with a bat or hammer? I have a couple of CO2 bb guns too and there's no way I'd expect it to kill a possum humanely even with lead pellets let alone bb's, what did you expect?
Some of the posts on this thread really make me feel sick and make us all look bad.
glennser

BigGuy52
June 30, 2009, 10:28 AM
Not gun related, but a nice Louisville slugger works nice; quiet and a one hit kill. Those critters freeze up when threatened, makes a easy target.

Nickotym
June 30, 2009, 11:22 AM
OP in November of 2007, who is doing all the thread necromancy again lately?

WinchesterAA
June 30, 2009, 01:01 PM
Dude, you gotta practice with your equipment! I have raccoons, armadillos, snakes, alligators, opossums, etc etc (There's a swamp in my backyard) and I also have a cat, and he sometimes gets attacked by these creatures as well.

Practice with your firearms so that you're familiar enough with them to use them with your eyes closed. Every time I draw my pistol from my holster with my eyes closed, when I open my eyes they are in line with the ironsights. In the dark as well.

When you can do that, you can look at something, and aim at it with the silhouette of the firearm and know that front and rear sights are aligned, which makes it very much possible to shoot things in the dark.

Fumbling around like that is not necessary, and just by shooting 2 or 3 times a day every day you will eventually be very good at your BB gun. Pistols too, baseball bats, soccer balls, pianos, guitars, etc etc.. Use it a little bit all the time, it only takes 10 minutes or so to grab BB gun, throw a coke can across the yard, shoot it three times, toss can in trash and return to the more important stuff you were doing.

Kragax
June 30, 2009, 02:11 PM
How do you know he was "playing possum"? Maybe he was dead and became reanimated. Thus falling into Zombie classification. In an area where you have to be quiet this may call for the application of the machete. Just sayin'

Arbor
June 30, 2009, 02:15 PM
I usually just smash them with a baseball bat, or a knife. They aren't real fast but they bite.

jimmyraythomason
June 30, 2009, 02:23 PM
In Alabama an opossum is classified as a furbearer and is protected by law. It can be legally killed during hunting/trapping seasons and under specific conditions. I would be more concerned with illegally killing a protected animal than discharging a firearm. I live in a semi-rural area. NOBODY notices a single gunshot. FWIW,if a possum,coon or squirrel gets in my backyard,all I need is a shovel to scoop up what the dogs leave behind.

Johny
June 30, 2009, 03:12 PM
Opossum fighting a cat? are you kidding? I checked websites out and they say leave them alone, they love adult cats. I have Opossums come up on my porch in the winter time they love my cats and steal there food. They are our friends. I read some stuff about them, they eat snakes/moles. I am able to get within 2 feet of it because its tamed now

tkopp
June 30, 2009, 03:22 PM
We had a family of them at my Mom's place growing up. Used to chill out on the porch with our cats enjoying the night. We'd make sure no food was around, but they all liked 'resting' together under the porch light. Never saw a fight between them and our cats were never injured.

HoosierQ
June 30, 2009, 03:30 PM
Yeah...fur harvesting not withstanding...leave the possums alone. They saw the dinosaurs come and saw them go. Perfectly harmless creatures. Yeah they bite, if somebody tries to hit 'em with a bat or kill 'em with a knife...you'd bite too.

I love the guys who classify animals that fight back from being attacked as "mean". Heck yes a possum (ground hog, raccoon, etc etc) is acting a little violent...you're trying to kill it and it knows that! If deer could shoot guns or arrows they would you know.

I am not against bone fide hunting (like deer) or even taking a fur bearing animal (like a possum or a marten or whatever). But just killing stuff...what sense is there in that?

I hate these threads.

DAVIDSDIVAD
June 30, 2009, 05:13 PM
I agree with the last few posts with a disclaimer.

The only time I've offed a possum is out of mercy after it had a dance with the labrador we used to have, or the three german shepherds we now own.

zoom6zoom
June 30, 2009, 05:35 PM
leave them alone, they love adult cats So did Alf.

Did you know it takes three possums to have sex? The third one has to watch for cars.

Johnny Deep
August 15, 2012, 04:24 PM
I usually just smash them with a baseball bat, or a knife. They aren't real fast but they bite.
Agree completely. Always used blunt force plus coup de grace w/ homemade spear (broom handle+ glue+ fruit knife). The one time I shot one (forehead), I had to finish him off w/ the spear.

Curiously, I have had better luck w/ shooting raccoons (one shot, one kill 2x).

Robert
August 15, 2012, 06:38 PM
Bad zombie thread.

If you enjoyed reading about "What caliber for Opossum? And night shooting is hard." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!