Rules on lending (borrowing) guns

PDA

FTA84
November 6, 2007, 01:36 PM
What are the rules for lending people your guns? I feel this may be completely illegal, so I figure I will ask. Here is my situation:

I am an academic so I have continual extended stays (10 to 15 weeks at a time) in various places. Aside from local gun laws, which are sometimes a problem, often times I recieve residence in university operated housing. Of course, weapons on a campus are almost a big no-no in every state.

Anyway, I don't like leaving my guns at my permanent residence where they could possibly be stolen (and I wouldn't know until maybe a month later). Clearly, it is impossible to travel with them. My brother-in-law is a gun guy (actually he got me started) and I think he would take good care of them. Is it legal for me to let him have them without 'transferring' them to him? (He has a clean record, still in the military, ect.)

If you enjoyed reading about "Rules on lending (borrowing) guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Working Man
November 6, 2007, 01:39 PM
That would depend on what state your brother-in-law is in and what regs your state of residency has.

In Texas I can leave them with whomever I wish.

igpoobah
November 6, 2007, 01:40 PM
Federally, it is fine. Local laws may trump that and I see you are posting from 'that' :D area so I would wait for locals from your area to chime in.

FTA84
November 6, 2007, 02:03 PM
Legally, we both reside in Ohio as do the guns in question.

Any takers on Ohio laws?

yesit'sloaded
November 6, 2007, 02:06 PM
I know they can't be a felon on the legal side. On the personal side I want to know the person very well and understand how the guns will be stored. The brother in law sounds fine.

Trebor
November 6, 2007, 02:38 PM
I don't know Ohio laws, so I can't comment on that.

Assuming it is legal, make sure you and your Brother in law are in agreement about how the guns are stored at his place and what access he has to them. You don't want any misunderstandings now to lead to problems later.

If it's only a couple of guns, and they can fit in his gun safe no problem, then asking him to store them with his guns should be no problem.

If your collection is larger then what his safe can handle, you may want to buy a safe and store it at his house. You can move it back to your residence once you are better settled.

As far as access, make sure you both know what access he should have to your guns. Can he take them shooting? Should he take them out and oil them up now and then? Or, are they in a locked safe that only you know the combo to? What if the guns are stolen or damaged in his care? Is he responsible? Or you at your own risk?

These are all valid choices, you just have to make sure you agree as to his access and his responsibility.

Bazooka Joe71
November 6, 2007, 02:57 PM
*cough**legal forum**cough*:)

But always remember, legal advice online is worth about as much as you pay for it, so beware.;)

obxned
November 6, 2007, 03:02 PM
Even if 100% legal, I would never, ever loan a gun. I don't lend out my wife, car, or dogs either.

bakert
November 6, 2007, 06:10 PM
Even if 100% legal, I would never, ever loan a gun. I don't lend out my wife, car, or dogs either.

+1,
Let 'em get their own!!

SteyrAUG
November 6, 2007, 06:13 PM
obxned

When my father moves to a new house, once he gets to know the neighbors he "gives" them a gun. He tells them if they ever use it to intervene in a crime against his home it is theirs to keep.

JohnBT
November 6, 2007, 07:54 PM
That reminds me, my duck hunting buddy still has my Rem 1100 from last season.

Thanks.

Also reminds me of the time I asked to borrow a revolver from my father and my mother looked at me and said, "You borrowed that the last time you were here."

Oops.

John

pete f
November 6, 2007, 08:27 PM
I have about fifteen that no one but maybe my son gets to use, the rest are pretty much "you need a gun for pheasant hunting? here try this.....bring it back in good shape and clean, if you don't know how, bring it back and we'll teach you."

These are all used guns, all that have a little wear on them, and if they get another ding, I will not get upset, especially if that ding means someone new gets to start hunting.

ArfinGreebly
November 6, 2007, 08:30 PM
*cough**legal forum**cough* :)
Yeah.

I keep seeing the word "legal" in here.

I guess we'll move it over there.

Oh, look.

It's over here now.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rules on lending (borrowing) guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!