Shooting mats?

PDA

Scorpiusdeus
November 6, 2007, 01:57 PM
Does anyone here use a shooting mat? Which ones are good, and if possible, affordable?

If you enjoyed reading about "Shooting mats?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SoCalShooter
November 6, 2007, 02:13 PM
Midway has a great deal going on. One of their brand that is normally 49.95 is only 24 bucks right now and thats a pretty good deal.

trueblue1776
November 6, 2007, 02:18 PM
I've always used a close cell foam pad, the kind you put under your sleeping bag. The price is right!

If you were local I'd give you one, I got about seven of them for free after the big hurricane.

El Tejon
November 6, 2007, 02:23 PM
I have a great one from Tactical Tailor, but I do not see it listed on the current website. Maybe you can call them?

Great mat, I recommend it.

skinewmexico
November 6, 2007, 02:24 PM
+1 on the Midway mat. Great deal.

SoCalShooter
November 6, 2007, 02:26 PM
The tactical tailor mat is great also, I have several mats (tried several different ones over the years) for the price the midway mat wins but in overall quality of the mat that tactical tailor one is very nice.

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=91

johnmcl
November 6, 2007, 02:26 PM
Hi Scorp,

I have found the Midway mat to be on the thin side. I'd recommend the $65 mat from Dillon Reloading. I use that one for everything from HP prone to sitting on while eating my lunch.

John

ReadyontheRight
November 6, 2007, 02:46 PM
I like the one from Dillon as well.

You want it to be heavy so it doesn't blow around while you're shooting offhand.

El Tejon
November 6, 2007, 02:47 PM
SoCal, thanks. I don't know why I did not see that on the website.

Tejon + Technology = hilarity ensues.:D

ETCss Phil McCrackin
November 6, 2007, 04:17 PM
The looks I get on the 300/600 yard lines during service rifle shoots are a little questioning when I unroll one of my wife's old yoga mats. It's bright orange, but it actually works really well and is pretty darn grippy especially on the coat elbows...

http://www.naturelifeyoga.com/images/HANS_shop_ultra_mat.jpg

308win
November 6, 2007, 04:46 PM
There used to be paratrooper drop cases I believe they were called in the CTD catalog for $19 that make excellent shooting mats are made to protect a short shoulder weapon. When closed they are short and just fit a Mini14.

Lucky
November 6, 2007, 04:50 PM
http://www.bluestonelab.com/ebay/bargainhunter929/od/6.jpg
http://i9.ebayimg.com/03/i/08/1f/ef/c7_1.JPG

I like the one that's also a cary bag.

Bwana John
November 6, 2007, 05:20 PM
Because we shoot Hi-Power out in the lava and cinders I like an old area rug (~10'X8') under my shooting mat to provide more protection from the ground, and to keep my area cleaner.

Mk VII
November 6, 2007, 07:49 PM
don't get one that's waterproof on top, or you are creating your own paddling pool.

Floppy_D
November 6, 2007, 07:51 PM
Kid's naptime mats and yoga mats.

TimboKhan
November 6, 2007, 08:48 PM
I would eat raw turkey before I would spend 65 dollars on a shooting mat. You can get off much, much cheaper with yoga mats, and I actually like the area rug idea. One of my shooting buddies brings an area rug that he got from his mom's cleaning business, and it is quite nice to shoot on. Total cost = nothing. You could probably buy an acceptable rug at walmart for under 20 bucks.

The Deer Hunter
November 6, 2007, 09:10 PM
I have a Navajo wool horse blanket I use when I shoot prone.....

doc2rn
November 6, 2007, 09:29 PM
I use a WWII sniper Parachute gun rug.

Dr.Rob
November 7, 2007, 01:33 AM
I have a parachutist's weapons case I got from Sportsman's Guide--used a dremel tool to break the bottom rivets so it totally folds flat. Works like a charm. Think it was well under $20, cleans up easy, more durable than a foam pad, doesn't blow away.

P-32
November 7, 2007, 01:41 AM
There are a couple I would buy. I use one which is water proof on the bottom and needed it at Perry this year. Try www.champchoice.com or www.creedmoorsports.com or www.ray-vin.com or www.okweber.com

If you are shooting the M-1A you have listed, the rubber pads where the elbows go work well with some shooters adhesive sprayed on the pads.

Beetle Bailey
November 7, 2007, 03:04 AM
I have one of those roll-up shooting mats and you can try it out. I'll send you a PM.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shooting mats?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!