I need tap size for colt agent

PDA

Leo G
November 6, 2007, 06:54 PM
I need the tap size to clean the threads in the frame of a second generation colt agent to reinstall the barrel.

I took a simple job and made it hard. The frame of my colt agent looked old and wore while the steel parts looked new, so i got some gun-kote, disassbled the pistol, sprayed and baked. I thought the .002-.004 build up wouldn't make a difference on the old girl, but the crane wouldn't fit till I sanded the finish down, and then it wouldn't close all the way so more sanding and polishing.
Then the cylinder wouldn't fit between the frame and on and on.

All help is appreciated, Thanks alot

Leo G

If you enjoyed reading about "I need tap size for colt agent" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dfariswheel
November 6, 2007, 07:25 PM
Colt used a .5634-32 thread on their revolvers..

I certainly hope you used a real gunsmiths frame wrench with Colt "D" frame inserts to remove the barrel.
If you used the old "hammer handle through the frame trick", you've most likely bent or possibly even cracked the frame.
Inspect the under side of the barrel threaded area in the frame for a crack.
If you've bent the frame, you may not detect it until you find the timing, alignment or accuracy "off".

Colt aluminum framed "D" guns are VERY easy to damage, even with the correct frame wrench and inserts, which is why many Colt qualified gunsmiths refuse to even attempt barrel work on them.

Leo G
November 6, 2007, 10:02 PM
Thank you.
I couldn't find the correct inserts for my frame wrench and had to get some blanks from brownells to make my own. I'm actually very pleased with how it came out, I've got it real polished out and got some rosin also from brownells so hopefully after all this trouble I don't hurt the new finish. Oh, I also got a barrel block made from wood, looks like mahogany, made by an old local gunny specifically for the det special. I got real high hopes.
Thanks again
Leo G

If you enjoyed reading about "I need tap size for colt agent" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!