Guns rusting...HELP!!!

PDA

dispatch55126
November 6, 2007, 08:06 PM
I keep my guns in my closet cased. I pulled one of them out tonight to put something away and noticed surface rust. I opened my other cases and they all had rust. I was able to wipe it off with Barricade but what can I do to prevent this in the future.

I am very anal about keeping my guns clean so any blemish like this drives me nuts. I cannot afford a gun safe. They are all out of their cases now and oiled down, but is there anything else I can/should do. Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Guns rusting...HELP!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
robmkivseries70
November 6, 2007, 08:09 PM
Hi Dispatch,
Sorry to hear that, put them in a closet with a sturdy lock. They need the air flow around them.
Best,
Rob

kennedy
November 6, 2007, 08:23 PM
where in minn, I heard it was real dry up north, when I lived up there, had no problems as long as in a well ventilated closet, I now live in southern Ind with bad humidity and use a home built gun cabinet, and keep them well oiled, no problems.

pete f
November 6, 2007, 08:25 PM
gun cases are not for storage, if you need to stack them closely then get some of those silicon treated sleeves sorta like a loosely woven sock, keeps the nicks away while keeping the air moving.

Also, are you leaving them lubed in the closet, or are you wiping them so dry as to remove all oil?

Also living in minnesota like I am, there is weather to consider, warm days and cool nights allows condensation to form, check your closet, you may find an airleak that allows a breeze with damp outside air to hit your guns.

wisocki
November 6, 2007, 08:31 PM
Do not store guns in cases! keep the surfaces oiled. I to live in minnesota. You should get a dehumidifier.

dispatch55126
November 6, 2007, 08:31 PM
There is a window in the closet, basement closet, that I will be sealing off next spring. In the meantime I've already put plastic over the windows. I wipe everything down with a silicon cloth after I oil everything. The closet is also subdivided and the area where I kept the guns was always cooler than every place else. I've since removed the inner door to keep things more even temp.

Since I'm not going to case them anymore, does anyone have any plans for a gun rack I can hang on the wall which will hold the guns horizontally?

Stover954rr
November 6, 2007, 08:33 PM
I put car wax on them (s2000) just whip it on polish it off.... never had a problem since then! I was actually given the vice by a THR member. And my gun had the blueing removed and rusted super quickly... this solved that.

dispatch55126
November 6, 2007, 08:39 PM
The wax would make sense for seasonal storage. Does it matter what type of wax, Carnuba or one of the newer types?

The Deer Hunter
November 6, 2007, 08:55 PM
Just lean them up against a corner in your closet like the rest of us po' folk and oil them every once in a while.

doc2rn
November 6, 2007, 09:15 PM
I use CLP it worked for me in rain, ocean water, and jungle humidity in the military. My point is it works, but rain dance car wax also works if you are putting them up for the season, just be sure to Q-Tip out the writing engraved on the barrel.

Shell Shucker
November 6, 2007, 09:36 PM
A "gunsafe" heater/dehumidifier such as the Golden Rod or equivalent may provide enough heat (convection air current) to solve your problem.
RIG, rust inhibiting grease, works for me. I apply it with the RIG RAG, a sheep skin impregnated with it. Takes about a minuet and is hardly noticeable.
Never store guns in a case.

Don't Tread On Me
November 6, 2007, 09:40 PM
Having done my own salt-spray testing on about 10 oils, the best rust preventer is CLP by far.

Don't keep them cased as the cases attract moisture and traps it in.

Safes are not that expensive. They cost what a new firearm typically costs. Anywhere from $300-$600 will get you a good safe. Next time you go to buy a gun, don't - buy that safe.

MechAg94
November 6, 2007, 10:21 PM
$600 will get you a security container, not really a safe, IMO. It is still better than nothing though.

ArmedBear
November 6, 2007, 10:54 PM
I like Bullfrog products (Lubricant and Rust Blocker where a thick oil that stays in place makes sense, Rusthunter where you want a thin liquid that dries and protects the metal).

CLP is somewhere in between.

That said, cased guns can rust. Don't keep them in cases. The cases hold moisture in, if there is any.

I got some guns that had been in cases for 20 years straight and they came out fine, but a couple rusted a bit. But they were bone dry and well-oiled when they were cased. If they'd been at all damp or sweaty when they were put away, or in a damp or humid environment, they would have come out nasty.

Float Pilot
November 6, 2007, 11:04 PM
We experimented with a few different things here along the Alaskan coast. For storage it is hard to beat a product called Boe-Shield.
Although made for aircraft use by Boeing, it is also marketed to the snow machine and outboard craowd via Yamaha. You mightbe able to locate it at a marine or snowmachine place. It leaves a film that is very corrosion resistant. But it can still be fired without having to clean it all out.

Don't Tread On Me
November 7, 2007, 12:21 AM
$600 will get you a security container, not really a safe, IMO. It is still better than nothing though.

Depends what your definition of safe is. There are models made by Granite which are gun safes in my opinion that are just under $600 (they are also firesafe). These have a heavy armored door. I'm not talking about a thin sheetmetal cabinet with a lockable knob.

You can spend $1,500 for a gun safe and it will have no more protection than a $600 safe. Just a fancier finish and interior.

If you want a real safe, expect to pay around $10,000 or more. And that's just for a medium sized jewlers safe. That is, armored all sides. Not very useful for storing guns due to size.

The idea here is to defeat smash & grab burglars or just regular thug/amatuer burglars. Time is the factor. A $600 will deter them. It will waste enough of their time to where they'll give up. They won't be able to open it with the tools they brought. People get caught up believing that they need a safe that a professional safe cracker would need 2hrs with a drill and a torch to get into.

I mean, compared to putting them in the closet so some meth junkie can just walk out with them and gun down some woman cashier at a 7-11...anything is better than nothing.

P-32
November 7, 2007, 01:35 AM
My father in law used car wax to keep his firearms rust free in Florida. He passed on to me a pre 64 Win mdl 70 in 300 H&H that is almost as nice as the day it was made. Now that he has passed I have no idea what brand of wax he used.

rangerruck
November 7, 2007, 03:43 AM
I keep mine the same way, but oiled, then in socks, then all my bags have VCI emitter discs in them. Puts out a freefloating vapor that adheres to all things metal.

U.S.SFC_RET
November 7, 2007, 06:45 AM
Amsoil makes a terrific product called Metal protectant. This stuff is good. Takes rust off like nobody's business "surface rust" and protects afterward. CLP is a great rust prohibitor.

halvey
November 7, 2007, 09:26 AM
Get them out of the basement, out of the cases and out of the closet. Closets are one of the worst places you can put guns as most do not have heating or cooling ducts so the temp goes up and down.

I cannot afford a gun safe. Fleet Farm has a safe for $89. It's not much, but better than what you have going.

ZeSpectre
November 7, 2007, 09:37 AM
1) as others have said, get 'em out of the cases
2) I like Weapon Shield (http://www.steelshieldtech.com/page2.htm). My own testing seems to indicate good corrosion protection. ( http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250588 ) skip to post #27 for a summary. YMMV.
3) Some kind of RSC or cabinet with one of the dehumidifier bars (http://www.goldenroddehumidifiers.com/) or the emitters (http://www.bull-frog.com/products/).

tasco 74
November 7, 2007, 09:38 AM
lots of good advice here.. i put my rifle in a case to store it once and had the same problem as you .. mine hang on a gun rack in my bedroom now and get oiled at least monthly..

tinygnat219
November 7, 2007, 11:32 AM
I keep my rifles in the Silicone socks in a gunsafe with Dessicant. Works well.

Walkalong
November 7, 2007, 11:49 AM
I keep rifles standing in the safe, but pistols in cases, oiled up and rust free, here in the hot, humid, muggy, South.

I have been thinking of getting some of those pistol holders to put in the safe for pistols, but just have never done it. It would probably be better for them. :)

Slugless
November 7, 2007, 11:55 AM
I've kept about half of them in cases, the rest in gunsocks.

They get cleaned and oiled once a year. I'm very careful not to leave fingerprints. Desiccant packs go in the safe. House is climate controlled.

Nevertheless, it's good advice not to keep them cased.

ShunZu
November 7, 2007, 01:26 PM
Another vote for Breakfree CLP. I also have 2 pair of tight-fitting white cotton gloves on the shelf in my safe -- that way, when handling or showing to friends, the gloves on prior to putting the oily fingers on'em.

MT GUNNY
November 7, 2007, 08:49 PM
"GUNS rusting "

Quick put some underware on !!

Yo
November 8, 2007, 01:24 AM
Plastic case with foam interior = moisture magnet and rust generator.

Store your guns in a safe with a lightbulb or goldenrod running to raise the dew point. Use synthetic Bore-store bags that wick away moisture.

Most effective anti-rust ingredients (besides thick grease) are Eezox, Corrosion-X, BeoShield T9. BreakFree is pretty good, but not among the "all-stars". It is also greasy and leave gummy residues in small recesses.

Anti-Corrosion Products Test: http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

Alton
November 8, 2007, 08:30 AM
Hey Dispatch
The best and cheapes way to keep your guns rust free is?

Johnson Paste Wax $4.98 a can and it will last forever and you can put it on your wood stock. Some car waxs are OK but you should not put them on wood stock.If you use a car wax do not use a cleaner wax becouse it may take of some of your bluing and it is real bad for your wood stocks.
I use Johnson Paste Wax on all my guns and have never had a spot of rust.
on any of then not even my summer carrie gun:what: In the summer I carrie in my shorts pocket and my gun gos thru he!!,lots of sweet,rain and pop but no rust.
Try Johnson Paste Wax I think you will like it.
Rob

alsaqr
November 8, 2007, 09:53 AM
"I keep my guns in my closet cased. I pulled one of them out tonight to put something away and noticed surface rust. I opened my other cases and they all had rust."

Do not store a cased gun.

The best gun protector that i have found is Militec: Been using it for about 15 years. When i worked overseas, i did not see some of my guns for years. None of them rusted.

rargos
November 8, 2007, 03:02 PM
... is to only buy stainless firearms :)

Seriously though, this is a big consideration of mine : I'd rather spend the extra cash on something that will (for all practical purposes) never rust. When that's not an option, a thin coat of RemOil seems to do the trick.

macFarlaine
November 8, 2007, 03:28 PM
Never in cases or silicone treated socks.Lightly rub down once a month,let air circulate around them.

mpmarty
November 8, 2007, 03:46 PM
I used to stack my rifles in a circle around the hot water heater. Kept them warm and dry. I always worried about the heater springing a leak so I bought a large Browning RSC and they are in there with three large bags of dessicant.

dispatch55126
November 10, 2007, 08:48 PM
Thanks for all the inputs. I ended up making a rack courtesy of 7.62x54r.net It was easy to make and the plans were dead on. Until I can afford to buy a safe of some type, I'm going to cut a top cap and lock down the rifles to the rack. Here are some pics.

Front to back:
1938 Tula MN 91/30
Ruger 10/22 Carbine with "internal upgrades"
Cabela's Hawken 50 Cal Muzzleloader "Kit rifle"
Mossberg bolt action 20ga
Savage Model 720 12ga

esmith
November 10, 2007, 09:45 PM
Seriously though, this is a big consideration of mine : I'd rather spend the extra cash on something that will (for all practical purposes) never rust.

Stainless steel rusts. Just takes longer. Don't let the name fool you. It just stains less.

bobsmith
November 11, 2007, 01:25 AM
I store some of mine in cases but I use canvas cases. Plastic or vinyl cases would keep moisture in and promote rusting.

Twud
November 11, 2007, 02:21 AM
I think your problem is not just the cases, but having them stored in the basement. I have 2 trap guns that won't fit in my safe so I oil them put them in gun socks and slide them under the bed. Maryland is known for it's summer humidity and I have never had a problem.
Have a buddy who was gunning ducks in salt water when he was done for the day he put the new high end Browning auto in the case and forgot about it. Following season he got it out only to find a rusted mess. The bolt was stuck and the barrel was orange inside and out. I think he paid around $1,000 for it and got $75 for it on consignment.

benEzra
November 11, 2007, 09:30 AM
If you can't afford a safe, and are looking at this strictly from a corrosion control standpoint, pick up one of those sheet-metal gun cabinets at Wal-Mart (by Stack-On or whoever), put your (oiled) guns it, and either put a Goldenrod in the cabinet or set a couple of buckets of Damp-Rid (also available at Wal-Mart) on the shelf. You can't dehumidify a whole room without a dehumidifier, but Damp-Rid or a Goldenrod can take care of a small enclosure like a gun cabinet.

+1 on the recommendation for something like Boeshield T-9. It is great stuff (I bought mine at a boat store, West Marine).

dispatch55126
November 11, 2007, 09:41 AM
Well, unless I store my guns in my kids rooms (I don't think so), they have to be stored on the lower level with me. I haven't thought of damprid. That might help as well.

Wolfgang2000
November 11, 2007, 10:12 AM
I save all those little desiccant pack that we are get from time to time. Put 1 or 2 in each gun case. I never had a rust problem. I work for me in S. Louisiana. I wipes them down and changed the packs every year.

.41Dave
November 11, 2007, 10:50 AM
I would also recommend you use CorrosionX. It is the best rust preventative I have ever used. Nothing I've used it on has ever rusted, including a car jack that sat in a pool of rusty water in a leaky car trunk for several weeks.
http://www.corrosionx.com/gun_use.html

If you enjoyed reading about "Guns rusting...HELP!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!