SCAR brochure

PDA

Slater
November 7, 2007, 03:04 PM
Neat looking weapon system. I take it that they only come in tan? :D

http://www.fnhusa.com/downloads/FNH_SCAR_Brochure.pdf

If you enjoyed reading about "SCAR brochure" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
W.E.G.
November 7, 2007, 05:41 PM
bleah

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/rifle%20pics/bleah.jpg

Hauptmann
November 7, 2007, 06:32 PM
FN basically copied the Robinson Arms XCR, only they didn't do as good a job.

Zak Smith
November 7, 2007, 06:39 PM
I handled both the SCAR-L and SCAR-H at the 2006 SHOT Show and was pretty impressed. Very light. Not sure if we'll ever get a US-civilian version or not. I have high hopes for Magpul's rifle too.

Zundfolge
November 7, 2007, 06:40 PM
The only thing I really really like about the SCAR is that they make one in .308

kaizer
November 7, 2007, 06:42 PM
So are these eventually going to be available to civilians?

Evil Monkey
November 7, 2007, 06:42 PM
Is the 308 version using sr25 mags or is it proprietary?

HorseSoldier
November 7, 2007, 07:52 PM

It was an openly solicited contract and the FN submission beat the XCR, among other weapons.

I believe they're not interchangable, but should (at least eventually) not matter too much, since SCAR-H is slated to replace the SR-25 entirely in SOCOM use.

Nightcrawler
November 7, 2007, 07:53 PM

*snicker* If you say so.

Proprietary, based on the FAL mag, but supports vertical insertion and an M16 style magazine release button. According to an article in SWAT Magazine, the Mk.17 (SCAR Heavy) has 20 and 30 round magazines, with the 20-rounders obviously being the most common.

bleah

There's a reason for the iron sights being set up that way. The SCAR series has easily changed barrels. If all of the zeroing is done on the front sight, then you don't have to re-zero the sights every time you change barrels.

Yes, that means it's probably a very poor rifle choice for High Power competition, or anything involving a shooting sling, but iron sights are basically back-up only these days.

HorseSoldier
November 7, 2007, 07:57 PM
There's a reason for the iron sights being set up that way. The SCAR series has easily changed barrels. If all of the zeroing is done on the front sight, then you don't have to re-zero the sights every time you change barrels.

+1.

Also, a general rule of thumb is that if/when you start talking about making adjustments on your iron sights for windage under battlefield conditions, then you've stopped talking about combat marksmanship.

jlbraun
November 7, 2007, 08:01 PM
Not sure if we'll ever get a US-civilian version or not.

Remember this is FN we're talking about, not you-suck-and-we-hate-you H&K.

Lessee...

P90 -> civilian PS90
F2000 -> civilian FS2000
SCAR -> ....

I'm betting we'll see a civvie version.

HorseSoldier
November 7, 2007, 08:06 PM
There have been rumors of a civilian SCAR-L here on THF, over at The Firing Line, and other places. I think it is a real possibility, though I suspect actual appearance of such is going to be dependent on how rapidly they field the .mil models (which seems to be finally getting underway, after some significant delays). Seems like the last time this topic came up a civilian version was discussed for 2008, but I'd put money on that slipping at least one year (and then possibly being dependent on the political climate in '09).

GunTech
November 7, 2007, 08:21 PM
Manufacturers of military small arms have started to figure out that large scale military contracts aren't available like they once were, and the US civilian market is huge. Originally, FN said the P90 and FN2000 would be military only and look what happened.

Nightcrawler
November 8, 2007, 09:01 AM
I take it that they only come in tan?

They've labeled that particular shade of baby-poop-brown as "Flat Dark Earth". The idea is that it'll blend in better in a multitude of environments and that it makes a better base for the custom weapons paint jobs that Special Operations types are wont to do.

It also won't get quite as blazing hot in the desert sun as a black weapon will. :D

Of course, if they were really worried about camouflage anymore, they wouldn't have gone with the ACU camo pattern, but I digres...

http://www.defensetech.org/images/MK17.jpg
FNH Mk.17 "SCAR-Heavy" rifle, caliber 7.62x51mm. Standard (approx. 16") barrel and Enhanced Grenade Launching Module (40mm NATO) fitted.

Note the base plate on the bottom of the 20-round .308 magazine; it makes the base of the magazine level with the barrel axis and allows you to use the mag base as sort of an impromptu rest. It also makes the magazine easier to grab when the grenade launcher is fitted. I wonder what they do for a grenade launching sight?

Gary G23
November 8, 2007, 09:33 AM
I handled these at the last two Shot Shows. Both times they told me they will be coming out with a civilian version. If they come out before the Magpul Masada I will buy one.

doc2rn
November 8, 2007, 09:40 AM
Looks alot like the Steyr which is a proven design. Not sure about the shotgun attatchment.

ny32182
November 8, 2007, 10:24 AM
I'd probably pay a rediculous amount of money to get my hands on one or two high quality civilian versions of that rifle.

For whatever reason, the masada just doesn't do anything for me. I think its mostly because they've never made a firearm before.

Correia
November 8, 2007, 10:50 AM

Bull. I was involved (in a very small way) in the development of one of those guns, and have worked closely with people involved in the development of the other. The weapons were developed at the same time by two seperate companies, and the reason they are similiar is because they were both competing for the same gig.

I've used both guns. I had XCR #5, and I was a beta tester for the prototypes. I've also used the SCAR. Both guns have their pros and cons, and to say that one is a copy of the other is just plain ignorant.

And you guys mean to tell me that the iron sights are designed for combat work, on a combat rifle, and they aren't the bestest thing ever for High Power or deer hunting! OH NOES!

And since this is the internet, now let's all complain about how it isn't an M14. :scrutiny:

FN will bring this out to the civillian market. Every rep from FN says the same thing. They're all about selling guns. The thing is that production will be 100% military for quite some time until those orders are filled. Personally I'm not going to throw a whine fit about that fact, because the guys that are getting them first, need them a little teensy bit more than we do.

Nightcrawler
November 8, 2007, 11:10 AM
Looks alot like the Steyr which is a proven design.

What Steyr rifle does the SCAR resemble? It looks nothing like the AUG, though it shares some similar features (quick change barrels).

casio02478
November 8, 2007, 12:55 PM
I like the fact that the GL is now a stand alone weapon and I bet it is really light with that much plastic/polymer build into it.

kaizer
November 8, 2007, 01:47 PM
If they come out with a civilian version i will be getting one, I am not sold on the Masada. FN has a hell of a record making firearms compared to a company that has never developed one.

doc2rn
November 8, 2007, 01:52 PM
Nightcrawler I dont know Bullpup config, quick change barrel, side mount charge handle, accoutrament rails on top and bottom, lots of combat tupperware, similar calibers, similar size.....

Zak Smith
November 8, 2007, 01:57 PM
The SCAR is not a bull-pup.

Correia
November 8, 2007, 02:33 PM
Doc,having ripped them both apart, internally the SCAR and Aug are two totally different guns.

And I do want a Masada, because it looks hella cool. :p

doc2rn
November 8, 2007, 04:09 PM
I only have experience with the Steyr from joint forces exercises in the Med. We cross trained with the Italians, Greeks, Austrians, and Spaniards (not sure on that spelling). I am familliar with that weapon system. How do they differ?

Zak Smith
November 8, 2007, 04:12 PM
Not really alike at all

FN SCAR:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/29/ScarSandiaPix.JPG

Steyr AUG:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/39/AUG_A1_508mm_04.jpg/300px-AUG_A1_508mm_04.jpg

El Tejon
November 8, 2007, 04:14 PM
bullpup=magazine behind the trigger.:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullpup

doc, you certain you did not get to play with another design perchance? The AR70 perhaps? Or, one of the Spaniard CEMTE designs?

doc2rn
November 8, 2007, 10:52 PM
El T I think you may be right and I am wrong.

Zundfolge
November 9, 2007, 01:11 AM
The STG58 was built by Steyr wasn't it?

Its vaguely SCAR like (only in a little more FAL like way :p )

http://world.guns.ru/assault/fal_stg58.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "SCAR brochure" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!