k31 k-31 deer hunting

PDA

cwdotson
November 7, 2007, 05:35 PM
I plan on using my Swiss for some woodlands/limited open field range whitetail hunting this season. Maximum shot would be at 200 yards, with 50-100 yards far more likely. The shooting with GP11 has been very, very good, which gives me hope for accuracy in a more appropriate round for hunting. I don't have time to work up a handload this year, so what commercial ammo has worked well for anybody?

If you enjoyed reading about "k31 k-31 deer hunting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SlamFire1
November 7, 2007, 06:07 PM
I have purchased INDEP ammunition and it was underloaded. The velocities were like 2200 fps when the service cartridge will push the bullet to 2600 fps.

I have not tried any other brands, but I have Norma. Norma is expensive but at least the stuff is coming out at a respectable velocity.

For me, I have reloaded my brass and gotten excellent results with IMR 4350 and a 168 SMK. If I were to use this hunting I would put a good 165 grain bullet on top.

I doubt I will ever shoot up my Norma ammunition, I know it is irrational, but something prevents me from shooting ammunition at $2.00 a round, but nothing prevents me from buying it.

Soybomb
November 7, 2007, 08:05 PM
I have some prvi sp's that have shown themselves to be accurate enough, I think it'd be worth trying them or the similar wolf sp.

mpmarty
November 7, 2007, 08:32 PM
Hornady makes a hunting load for the 7.5X55 Swiss and Grafs sells them both as Hornady and as their own private label. Good ammo!

longhorngunman
November 7, 2007, 09:33 PM
Aimsurplus, www.aimsurplus.com has the Prvi Partizan 7.5 swiss for around $10.50 a box, 174gr Softpoint, boxer primed reloadable brass, good stuff. or Graf's has the Hornady line of 7.5 swiss www.grafs.com , in Softpoint and the excellent SST ballistic tip. Use it for hunting this year and save the brass and work up some loads for next year:). IMR 4064 powder and the Hornady 165gr SST's work very well.

Deer Hunter
November 7, 2007, 09:56 PM
My brother in law just shot his first deer on opening morning last weekend with his K31 and GP11. The deer dropped, but then again, take out anyone's backbone and they'd drop. If you want a slightly cleaner kill, then Prvi Partison or Wolf Gold would do fine.

JHansenAK47
November 8, 2007, 12:33 AM
Is GP11 even legal to hunt with in your area. Where I live you can't use FMJ.

cwdotson
November 8, 2007, 04:59 PM
Let me assure everyone, I have no intention of hunting game with a jacketed bullet, legal or otherwise, for a variety of reasons, including humane treatment of animals.

JHansenAK47
November 8, 2007, 09:04 PM
My brother in law just shot his first deer on opening morning last weekend with his K31 and GP11.
I never said you were cwdotson, but Deer Hunters brother did. However you could always pull the slug and reload it.

Deer Hunter
November 8, 2007, 09:05 PM
To answer Hansen's question, yes it's legal to hunt with in Texas. Just about anything is legal to hunt with in Texas, minus rimfires. Other than that we have no mag capacity limitations or bullet construction limitations. He wouldn't have used it, other than that was the only round he had on him when he came in to hunt. He accidentally forgot his Prvi at his house.

JHansenAK47
November 8, 2007, 09:08 PM
I guess it wouldn't matter Texas doesn't have big deer.

Deer Hunter
November 8, 2007, 09:09 PM
Heeey, Now be nice. It all depends on where you're hunting. Around East Texas? Don't expect any monsters.

JHansenAK47
November 8, 2007, 09:13 PM
MY uncle lives in Colorado and he's always telling me about the Texans that come up to shoot deer. They always seem to keep saying that they got big deer in Colorado.

MechAg94
November 8, 2007, 10:28 PM
It all depends on what the deer eat. Some other states have a lot thicker vegetation than down here or so I hear. I have no idea if any of the managed deer properties or exotics have different luck.

My home county was one county in Texas where they put in some new rules. You can only shoot a buck if they have so many points and so wide a spread. I think damaged horns opens it up also. I hear it has helped some, but I don't hunt much.

I have some Privi ammo. I have only shot a handful of rounds. They were a little less accurate than the GP-11, but seemed to be going to the same point of aim more or less.

Chipperman
November 9, 2007, 02:09 PM
I guess it wouldn't matter Texas doesn't have big deer.

Hrumph. Well my Father-in-Law says that Everything is Bigger in Texas. I'll have to talk to him about this. :neener:

Cosmoline
November 9, 2007, 02:29 PM
The Wolf Gold SP is pretty accurate and seems well made.

Loanshark
November 9, 2007, 02:48 PM
Someone told me the wolf gold is made by PRVI for wolf, or vise versa. I've shot both @ paper... didn't see a difference...

NOOk
November 9, 2007, 04:34 PM
I grew up hunting in Alaska...... Let's not get into the size of all the little states now! But I will say for Texas, it IS the biggest small state, heh.

cwdotson
November 10, 2007, 03:20 PM
JHansenAK47, I didn't presume you were talking about my potentially hunting with FMJ and am aware of someone else bringing that up, having read the referenced post. I wanted to preclude discussion of issues totally irrelevant to my inquiry, kind of like whose state has the biggest deer. Absent a survival situation, I am not shooting game with FMJ-We don't need crippled animals running around for more bad publicity on hunting, etc. Someone may respond if I was a good enough shot, it wouldn't be an issue, but maybe I am not and I am just not risking it.

Also, I guess I could pull the bullet, but, as I said, I don't have time to do that this season. Thanks.cwd

kestak
May 7, 2009, 08:36 AM
Greetings,

I know this thread is old. But I am curious. How many are using their K31 to hunt?

Also, how's the commercial stuff (PRVI) for hunting round? Frankly, I would reload with good modern 30cal bullet from Nosler or Hornady to be sure I get good velocities, accuracy and expansion.

Thank you

wnycollector
May 7, 2009, 09:12 AM
I cant speak to privi 7.5 SP's, but I took a nice 6 point buck 2 years ago with my 1937 S27 wolf gold/privi 196gr sp's. I have also used privi in .308 in my ishapore enfield.

kestak
May 7, 2009, 09:16 AM
Greetings,

How was the expansion?

My friend's son-in-law killed a Deer with an SKS and a Wolf black box HP round at 80 yards. He said the round expanded nicely and it took half the lung and half the heart.

I was VERY surprised when he told us how well the round performed.

Thank you

brianr23
May 7, 2009, 02:37 PM
My brother shot a 180lb boar hog with it a few years ago. Shot it quartering toward and cliped the back of the lungs. It fully penetrated and we were able to track it from the blood trail even after a little rain. I would not hesitate shooting the wolf softpoint for deer.

wnycollector
May 7, 2009, 06:12 PM
How was the expansion?

One word...IMPRESSIVE! Actually on second thought, overkill might be better.

kestak
May 8, 2009, 07:45 AM
Greetings,

Sooooooooo... Most of the people posting that Wolf/PRVI/Monarch/Brown,silver Bear are crap ammo are kinda wrong.

I used all of those in bolt and semi-auto for plinking and I never got any issue.
I got a direct witness confirmation and now I have THR confirmation that ammo is effective for hunting...

Thank you

LJ-MosinFreak-Buck
May 8, 2009, 12:26 PM
Don't make the mistake of using FMJ GP11 like I did once. I grabbed a handful of shells and there must've been a GP11 shell in the handful (i didn't separate them like I should have) and when I hit the dear, I ruined a lot of meat. I'll never make that mistake again. Not to mention that it's inhumane.

wnycollector
May 8, 2009, 07:38 PM
Wolf/PRVI/Monarch/Brown,silver Bear are crap ammo are kinda wrong.

I have used wolf gold (its just repackaged Privi) in 7.62x25,7.62x54, 8mm and .308 with excellent success on paper. The only hunting that I have done with it was with the 8mm SP.

I am currently using:
Brown bear 7.62x39. Again excellent accuracy...for an SKS that is;)

Wolf black box .308 FMJ in my Ishapore enfield. This stuff is a shocker...groups the same size as S&B FMJ for 1/2 the price ($7.95/box)!

My only experience with silver bear was with their 9x18 JHP...possibly the dirtiest ammo I have ever shot! I would rather shoot black powder!!!

If you enjoyed reading about "k31 k-31 deer hunting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!