my next gun

PDA

scrat
November 7, 2007, 11:06 PM
ok im leaning towards a savage on sale at big 5.

SavageŽ .30-.06 or 7mm MAG. RIFLE and SCOPE COMBO
YOUR CHOICE

so question 7mm or 30-06

discuss please

If you enjoyed reading about "my next gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bartkowski
November 7, 2007, 11:18 PM
For us to best recommend a caliber you should tell us what the gun is going to be used for. But I would probably get a 30-06 unless you are taking long shots.

RockyMtnTactical
November 7, 2007, 11:19 PM
For us to best recommend a caliber you should tell us what the gun is going to be used for. But I would probably get a 30-06 unless you are taking long shots.

Totally agreed.

scrat
November 7, 2007, 11:20 PM
Range shooting. 99%. im thinking something that i can get some good practice and develope into a good long range rifle.

ArmedBear
November 7, 2007, 11:25 PM
.30-06 will work fine at distance as well. It just won't shoot quite as flat. But that makes less difference than it sounds like. If a bullet drops 20" or 24" at 450 yards, you still have to know what range you're shooting at.

I'd say, if it's just a hunting rifle, get the 7mm if you really want to.

If you're not sure, get the .30-06. If you will shoot it recreationally, get the .30-06. If you won't be hunting elk at 400 yards, get the .30-06.

TheGunGuru
November 7, 2007, 11:25 PM
.30-06 all day. The 06 has got so many different bullet choices and uses that its the best choice. All ammo makers make 06 bullets, so your choices are basically unlimited as where the 7mm does not have this diversity. If you hand load then the 06 offers even more choice because there are bullets from like 110gr to over 220gr, so you can taylor make loads for your hunt or shooting experience. I am sure there will be many people to respond to this posting...and would bet that most people are going to say the same basic thing.
PS...30-06 ammo is cheaper....especially if you can find surplus.

scrat
November 7, 2007, 11:31 PM
ok So it looks like its going to be the 30-06. i do reload and i was thinking on the same aspects. Same time i do cast so i was thinking i could cast 7mm. however it does seem like its pretty limited. So next question. How good is the savage. it seems to be pretty good at the price. not tooo crazy about the scope. im sure i will have to bore sight it. unless its done at the factory.

Bartkowski
November 7, 2007, 11:33 PM
If you are doing range shooting, they I would get the .30-06 without even thinking about the 7mm. The number of different bullets, the price of ammo and reloading, barrel life, and you do not need anything more for targets since you will probably know the ballistics of your gun.

I don't have much expirence with savage, but most people who have them say they are accurate rifles, just not the best looking. If you intend to get into more serious target shooting, then you will probably get a different scope so I think you should just get the gun by itself and buy a better scope to put on it.

simpleguy
November 8, 2007, 01:50 AM
.30-06 Hands down. Unless you are going to Africa or hunting Brown Bear, you will be able to use this gun for everything in North America.

Frog48
November 8, 2007, 02:07 AM
Both are great rounds, but I'm partial to .30-06.

jrfoxx
November 8, 2007, 08:15 AM
30-06.Ammo's cheaper, easier to find, and there are just more ammo options for it.No idea on accuracy or recoil comparasin though.Never fired a 7mm.

If you enjoyed reading about "my next gun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!