Help regarding resident aliens buying guns

PDA

Vaarok
November 7, 2007, 11:22 PM
I've got an internet-friend whose family of dairy farmers moved into South Dakota four years back from Belgium.

They want a .22 rifle for euthanizing cows, because (rightly) they don't like or trust a captive-piston euthenasia device to do a good job. So they asked me, being their farmer friend who loves guns, about how to go about getting a .22 rifle.

They're not citizens yet, but they have proof of residency and social security numbers, but apparently they need to provide some additional numbers, maybe a INS issued ID number? They're confused and about ready to have a neighbor sell them something for cash, but I'm trying to keep everything above-board and make this familiar enough that I can make them converts to the RKBA movement, since apparently their grandfather back in the old country was a partisan in the war, and has kept all his kit and arms to this day.

Anybody who can help talk me through it so I can talk them through it, I'd appreciate it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help regarding resident aliens buying guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MisterPX
November 8, 2007, 12:42 AM
Go to FFL with 90 days proof of residency, elec. bills, etc. Fill out 4473, add Alien ID number where noted.

YK
November 8, 2007, 01:15 AM
The advice above is correct.

It implies, though, that they are permanent residents (i.e. "green card" holders); if that's the case, a copy of green card is helpful (???required) and form 4473 has a spot for INS-provided ID number (aka A-number).

yesit'sloaded
November 8, 2007, 01:45 AM
Coming from an agricultural family, I honestly think the captive bolt gun used correctly works great. Some of them use blanks to fire anyway. But everyone should have a .22.

jrfoxx
November 8, 2007, 05:06 AM
Isn't there something about a resident alien needing a valid hunting license for the state in which they intend to buy the gun too? Cant seem to find where I heard that, but I think it was here...
Don't know, just askin' (and trying to help, if it turns out I'm remembering correctly)

Ok, found the info.The hunting license thing is fo "nonimmigrant aliens" (which they are not if they have a green card).For those with a green card, the rules are:
http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#r1

(R7) I have a "green card" and have lived in Texas for several years. Am I prohibited from purchasing firearms and ammunition from an FFL in Texas?

As long as you are not otherwise prohibited from purchasing or possessing firearms and ammunition (for example, a felon), Federal law does not prohibit you from purchasing or possessing firearms or ammunition. However, you will need to put your alien number or admission number on the Form 4473 and provide the FFL with documentation establishing you have resided in Texas for more than 90 consecutive days preceding the transaction. Moreover, you must make sure there are no State or local restrictions on such a purchase.

everallm
November 8, 2007, 09:41 AM
This works for me in NJ

Take "State Issues ID" driving licence
Take Green Card
Take 2 sets of utility bills for the last 90 days with YOUR name on them. One time I went in with a set with my wifes on.....Make sure the bills are consecutive and no for example January, March, April (no February)

In general, check your state laws, I believe one or two prohibit/restrict PRA's sometimes it's just by type, i.e. rifle OK, NO pistol.

South Dakota looks good to go, only restriction appears to ba getting a CCW

(http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/SDSL.pdf)

MisterPX
November 8, 2007, 12:16 PM
a copy of green card is helpful

If the FFL wants a copy, thats between the FFL and buyer. Buyer should always ahve their card witht hem.;)

MD_Willington
November 8, 2007, 04:37 PM
Isn't there something about a resident alien needing a valid hunting license for the state in which they intend to buy the gun too? Cant seem to find where I heard that, but I think it was here...
Don't know, just askin' (and trying to help, if it turns out I'm remembering correctly)

You are an "immigrant alien", "permanent resident" if you have a greencard... so the "non-immigrant alien" thing does not apply...

I'd just make sure that the state where they live doesn't have a requirement like my state does where you have to get a firearms license from the state...

That's a bigger PITA...

LegalAlien
November 8, 2007, 05:38 PM
Not sure about ND, but here in FL I had to produce my 'green card', which is not green and provide my INS A#.
According to the dealer, the person at FDLE did inquire whether I was applying for a hunting license and we replied no.
I now have guns (plural) and am in the process of applying for my FL CCW.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help regarding resident aliens buying guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!