T/C Scope is not what I'd hoped.

PDA

Sam1911
November 8, 2007, 05:23 PM
Hi!

I finally received my T/C Recoil Proof 1.25-4x28mm handgun scope from Midway. I have to say I'm a little disappointed.

I read extensively the technical specs on lots of scopes that might work as a intermediate eye relief Scout type scope for my Marlin 336. I knew it didn't need to sit as far forward as a bolt-action style scout scope as there's no loading area issue, so I wanted something that didn't require a HUGE eye relief, but one that would work well if pushed back a few inches past "normal" scope mounting.

I found this scope listed on Midway's site as working with an eye relief from 8" to 21", which meant (to me anyway) that it would work closer to the eye than even the true Scout scopes I was looking at.

When I got it I tried to set it up on the rifle (without tightening anything or marking the scope up) and found that I do not get a full field of view until the darn thing is mounted in the very farthest forward location on my XS Scout mount, which puts the objective lens exactly 15" from my eye! Anything closer and the image begins to black out. At 8" (as advertised) there's merely a blurry grey smudge at the center of the lens!

So now I don't know what to do. The scope seems like it will function fine at the furthest forward mounting location, but the total field of view is pretty small with the scope that far forward and it just isn't what I wanted.

And, of course, all the gentle handling I could muster still left a small scratch in the finish from the rings, so I doubt I can even get my money back.

This sucks. What would you all do?

-Sam

If you enjoyed reading about "T/C Scope is not what I'd hoped." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sam1911
November 8, 2007, 05:41 PM
Well, I've gone over a ton of scopes at Midway again and I can't find ONE that seems to list the eye relief range I'm looking for.

I'd really like to find something with a true E.R. of 6-10". All "standard" scopes seem to be in the 3.8" to 4.2" range. The Swarovski (like I could afford them anyway) Extended Eye Relief scopes open that up all the way to 5.75"! Wooooah, be still my beating heart! :rolleyes: And the Scout scopes and handgun scopes all want 11" plus.

I'd thought the T/C was really the hot item. But knowing that it needs 15" makes it far from my first choice.

Arrrgh...:cuss:

-Sam

Triple S
November 8, 2007, 06:27 PM
Who makes the scopes for TC? I assume they are contracting it out to someone....

atblis
November 8, 2007, 06:52 PM
Swift 663 Pistol Scope supposedly has 9.8" of eye relief.

Burris 2.75X scout scope perhaps? 8.5"-14"

Leupold Scout scope is 9"-17"

Sam1911
November 8, 2007, 11:36 PM
I have seen the eye relief listings for those others (I missed the Swift, but anyway...) but I am leery of believing them as they say almost the same thing as the T/C did.

I guess I could get one of those ... but this one is now "used" and it will work for the application.

I think I'll just use it until/unless I find something better, and then mount it on a 629 or something. I is a nice pistol scope.

Hrmmm...

-Sam

rbernie
November 9, 2007, 12:19 AM
I've been thru this, and (other than the true scout scopes) the only pistol scope that worked on my 336's on the AO/XS scout rail was a Weaver fixed 2x.

The issue is that the variable pistol scopes may have less than 12" of eye relief, but only at a single magnification. Moving up or down the mag scale changes the eye relief considerably, and makes them mostly useless for the Marlin mount. Mosin, Enfield and other such milsurp scout mounts tend to accept pistol scopes better because the mount is further down the barrel.

yesit'sloaded
November 9, 2007, 12:32 AM
Call me crazy, but I'm going to tell you to look into an NCStar scope. I know I know, chinese junk and all, but I put one on one of my mosins and it has yet to lose zero after about 100 rounds. http://ncstar.com/new/productDetails.php?PID=101 adjustable from 8.7 to 10.6 inches of eye relief. I have one and it works fine.

hossdaniels
November 9, 2007, 01:16 PM
O.K. crazy:uhoh: Try looking into the weaver handgun scopes, a little short on eye relief for my handguns, but might be what your looking for.

Macchina
November 9, 2007, 03:05 PM
It sounds like they are measuring to the back of your head.

If you enjoyed reading about "T/C Scope is not what I'd hoped." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!