Beretta Neos U22 Detail Strip

PDA

Badger Arms
November 8, 2007, 08:11 PM
The safety on my Neos digs a blister on the knucle of my right thumb. I'd like to take the safety out and dehorn it, however I can't for the life of me figure out how to get it out of there. I can pus in the detent on the right lever and slide that lever off, however the safety doesn't seem to want to easilly slide out the left. Not going to force it. Does anybody know of a disassembly guide? Does anybody want to tell me how to do it? I am mechanically inclined and generally have no trouble with these things.

If you enjoyed reading about "Beretta Neos U22 Detail Strip" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mrmeval
November 9, 2007, 01:49 AM
http://pho3nixserver.no-ip.org/u22/u22main.html

Not sure if this will help but you could email them and ask since they show it disassembled but don't show how.

Badger Arms
November 9, 2007, 05:23 AM
Didn't help me any. It's cool and shows the sear out, but how do you get the sear out? I might try to polish the sear when I get it apart.

WNTFW
November 9, 2007, 10:56 PM
Your almost there,
Your right safety lever is off. Take out Firing Pin, & part (searblock) that held it & the sear. The safety plunger then will be exposed. once that is out your safety will come out to the left. There is a ball that goes in the on off detents that is easy to loose. Dont forget to put the bar back under the sear on reassembly.
The sear pin has to be pushed out. The slide lock spring likes to hit the road once the stock is off. The barell nut too.

Anybody know how to remove the rear sight blade? I've had the front out but not the rear.

I also bought some mags from CDDN for 10-11 bucks the were OK.

I love My Neos - $208 - I've put 550 rounds through it more than once at a range session.
Later,
WNTFW

hexidismal
November 18, 2007, 03:28 AM
I'm trying to figure out how to get the sear block screw out also.. no luck so far. I assumed it would come out like a normal screw, but I just seem to be stripping it and it wont budge. I've seen some mention of a special screwdriver meant to fit that wide slot and inward curve it has, but I can't seem to find one listed anywhere.

Badger Arms
November 18, 2007, 10:01 AM
Well, that screw came out for me with a regular screwdriveer for me. I have an hex-bit set with screwdriver head, not sure if a regular screwdriver would go through the hole, didn't try it. Anyways, once the gun is broken down as far as Beretta will tell you to do it, there is a hole in the top of the cylinder that holds the striker. You can see the slot-head screw there. Simply back this screw out and the sear/striker block lifts out.

Now, underneath where the sear was is a spring-loaded plunger that serves two funtions. It applies pressure to the sear and it prevents you from simply pulling the safety out the side. Be careful as the trigger bar will flip forward as the sear block comes up.

When the safety comes out, a spring loaded plunger will fly out and disappear if you're not careful. It comes out the front side of the safety. I took a bench grinder and dremmel to the safety and then some cold-blue. It's a utility gun so it's not too big a deal how it looks but both sides look fine. I though about leaving the right safety off completely and still might have my machinest friends make me up a blank to fill the right side in.

hexidismal
November 18, 2007, 02:56 PM
Actually, oddly enough I did manage to get the sear block screw out shortly after posting this. I started playing with it again, and eventually it came out. For those who can't get it out (there are others I know), the answer might be HEAT. My Neos's sear block screw had some kind of dipped red plastic acting as a thread locker and that's what made it so difficult to remove. Since its all steel at that point , a heated soldering iron applied directly to the slotted end of the sear block screw MIGHT help to melt that plastic coating. For me it eventually just broke, but it took lots of elbow grease and one has to be especially careful not to strip that slot.

NOW, the problem Ive now encountered is the sear PIN. That is the most stubborn and unmovable pin I have ever encountered in my life.. and I can not get the darn thing out to polish the sear face !
:banghead:

hexidismal
November 18, 2007, 06:40 PM
Ok, this is ridiculous. I've hammered away at the pin for an hour now. Its not coming out. I got it about half way, and it just sticks there.. argh

I even sheared the face off the rounded slightly more external side of the pin off with a dremel to try and push it through the other way. No dice.

Badger Arms
November 18, 2007, 08:39 PM
It might be staked from one side or tapered. Try hammering it out from the other side or, preferably, let it go and reassemble the gun. Are you trying do polish and round the lip on the sear?

hexidismal
November 21, 2007, 04:10 AM
Yes, I was trying to (did) polish the sear, as well as a some other modifications to do a complete action job. The pin in the sear was neither staked or tapered, but it was awfully hard to get out. The problem was one half of the pin had knurled serrations holding it in place. A took the assembly to my friend (the gunsmith at the local Gander Mountain, Thanks Mike !) and he managed to get the pin out, and even stripped a little metal from the pin hole to do it. It took him awhile to get it out also , so it wasn't just me. For reassembly, I filed the serrations off the pin and polished it just enough so that it was still a tight fit but manageable. My work on all the parts is complete, but the gun is still completely stripped. Since I found it so difficult to find complete information, I plan on doing a whole post with photos to explain and document what I did.

This PDF file written by BadOscar on RimfireCentral was my inspiration to start working on it.
http://home.maine.rr.com/oceanpalace/badoscar/NeosTrigger.pdf

Though I have actually taken it a few steps further than this. I'm anxious to reassemble it, but I'd like to get a thread together about it first. I would do it right now, but I actually don't have a camera available for this week.

If you enjoyed reading about "Beretta Neos U22 Detail Strip" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!