About how much would this weigh.

PDA

Slimjim
November 8, 2007, 10:54 PM
a .510 diameter bullet for a .50 BMG lathed out of aluminum.

Im just wondering how hard it would be to create a light varmint bullet for the .50 out of another material.

If you enjoyed reading about "About how much would this weigh." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
brian923
November 8, 2007, 10:55 PM
hummm.... 50 bmg varmint round??? sweeeeeeeet.

Wes Janson
November 8, 2007, 11:30 PM
Well, according to this: http://www.reade.com/Particle_Briefings/spec_gra2.html , brass has a weight of 534 lb/cf. Aluminum has a weight of 165 lb/cf. So aluminum is just about 30% the weight of brass, roughly. So I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if you were to lathe a projectile to the same dimensions of an 800gr, you'd have a projectile weight of about 240gr. This is just my uneducated guess however, and I could be significantly off in my estimate.

Hoppy590
November 9, 2007, 12:01 AM
besides being a Big momma jamma. what benefit would this have over a smaller varmit round?

Slimjim
November 9, 2007, 12:33 AM
besides being a Big momma jamma. what benefit would this have over a smaller varmit round?

Just an experiment. I have to find some aluminum roundstock.
Also, how would fouling be removed? I know aquila did this with handgun bullets.

jerkface11
November 9, 2007, 01:00 AM
I'm pretty sure an aluminum bullet wouldn't like that kind of pressure. It might work with a gas check though.

PercyShelley
November 9, 2007, 04:15 AM
Im just wondering how hard it would be to create a light varmint bullet for the .50 out of another material.

*chortle*

It would take a good, hard look at what the aluminum oxide film will do to your rifling. I've certainly heard of aluminum-core bullets, but a solid, turned aluminum bullet? The oxide might prove too abrasive.

edited for abuse of prepositions

C-grunt
November 9, 2007, 04:25 AM
Would anyone be able to guess-timate the velocity of a 240 grain 50 BMG round?

PercyShelley
November 9, 2007, 05:51 AM
I recall reading that the swept volume of the barrel is pretty consistent with respect to energy conversion, so as a very rough guesstimate, I get 4975 fps as the velocity of a 240 grain bullet fired with the same powder charge and energy conversion efficiency as an 800 grain bullet fired at 2725 fps.

At that kind of velocity, I think you would start to look at spead-of-sound-of-working-fluid issues with respect to efficiency, so the velocity will likely be less than that.

Clipper
November 9, 2007, 07:49 AM
An aluminum bullet would explode outside the barrel from the rotational speed that kind of velocity would impart. Not to mention the large percentage of itself that would gall off and be left fouling the barrel...

MMcfpd
November 9, 2007, 08:34 AM
Hmm, sounds like you might just want to stick to HE rounds for your varmint hunting.

wideym
November 9, 2007, 08:53 AM
Are the velosiraptors back in Maryland again?
Maybe mutant ninja congressional aids stiring up trouble?

Bwana John
November 9, 2007, 10:04 AM
You are going the wrong way.:uhoh: You want more velocity out of a .50?:eek:

Id try necking down a 37mm Field peice brass to .50 cal.:neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "About how much would this weigh." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!