Magazine question

PDA

ambush
November 9, 2007, 10:22 AM
I've been pondering this for some time. If you keep the shotgun magazine fully loaded, say in your 870 leaning against your bedroom wall, for an extended period of time, say 20 years, will it adversely affect spring performance if the need ever arises? Simply put, do the springs wear out? I know I can just try it out once in a while to see, but want your opinion. Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Magazine question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
steveracer
November 9, 2007, 10:29 AM
Nope.
It's the action of compression/decompression that weakens a spring. Mags that were loaded in WWI and remained that way until auctioned work fine today.
Steve

Dave McCracken
November 9, 2007, 10:40 AM
Nope. One of mine has been loaded, one under capacity, since 1980 or so. Works fine.

rcmodel
November 9, 2007, 03:07 PM
Nope.
It's the action of compression/decompression that weakens a spring
What he said!

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/KTOG/1224.gif
rcmodel

dfariswheel
November 9, 2007, 09:39 PM
The real danger of leaving a shotgun loaded for long periods of time is shot shell compression.

What can happen is, the constant spring pressure against the plastic shells can cause them to actually collapse slightly, causing the shells to develop bulges in the sides.

These bulges can cause feeding and extraction problems.
The "fix" for this is to buy high grade American shells, which seem to be made of a stiffer plastic than cheaper shells, and to check the rounds in the magazine once a month.

Shawnee
November 9, 2007, 10:29 PM
Back in the 60s and early 70s there was a gunzine writer - an older fellow who perched atop (arguably) the handgun peons - a fellow who had "come up" with revolvers. When LEOs began talking (without his blessing) about using semi-autos, this fellow made the statement (among others) that if the magazine of an auto pistol were left loaded very long the spring would weaken and the gun would be very likely to fail. Because of the source - lots of people accepted the indictment of semi-auto magazines as absolute fact and, of course, that "fact" spread far and wide by word of mouth.

How true that is now, or was then, I don't know. I do know the cylinder doesn't weaken if it is left loaded for a long time (though I have seen guns with cartidges corroded into the cylinder due to time in place and the personal body chemistry of some owners).

:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Magazine question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!