Remington 870 Express question

PDA

socalstang
November 9, 2007, 05:48 PM
It's my first shotgun, I want to get the pistol grip handle and forarm grip, but I don't know how to take off the factory parts off. Can anyone help? Thank you in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington 870 Express question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Avenger29
November 9, 2007, 06:09 PM
The rear stock...take off the recoil pad, and remove the bolt holding on the stock with a screwdriver. It may take a pretty long flathead screwdriver, depending on the style.

For the forearm, I reccommend finding a gunsmith/dealer who has the proper tool...there are directions on here, just search.

I don't reccommend a pistol grip only rear stock. It isn't actually very usefull.

I did go with a good quality folding stock for when I need compactness, but I much prefer the standard stock...

Gustav
November 9, 2007, 06:32 PM
Welcome to THR

A couple of folding stocks you may wish to check out are

www.knoxx.com

www.riflestock.com Choate Machine & Tool

In a fixed stock also check out

www.arizonagunrunners.com Speed Feed I II III & IV

For the front forearm tool check out www.brownells.com

with basic tools its a simple straight forward job you will need a phillips screwdriver a long regular flat bladed screwdriver and a forearm wrench.

Best of luck.

41magsnub
November 9, 2007, 06:33 PM
I ended up going to home depot and buying the biggest baddest flat head screw driver they have to do shotgun stocks. I usually end up putting a wrench on the screw driver to get enough torque.

mnw42
November 9, 2007, 07:05 PM
One thing that I would look out for is the length of the stock bolt. I had a guy buy an 870 express with wood stocks and switch them with a set of synthetic stocks before he shot it. When he tried to cycle the second round the follower wouldn't pop up. Apparently the stock bolt for the wood stocks is longer then the one for synthetic; it was protruding into the receiver an preventing the bolt carrier from going far enough back to trip the follower lever. We wound up shimming the bolt with a large nuts and a couple of washers.

Just something to look out for when swapping stocks on an 870.

rantingredneck
November 9, 2007, 07:41 PM
I made my own spanner wrench for the forearm nut by taking a piece of stiff wire and bending it to where it would engage both slots. Then I take a pair of channel lock pliers and turn that piece of wire to loosen it, then turn by hand.

Jeff F
November 9, 2007, 09:50 PM
An old fashioned tire iron will work in a pinch if you don't have a long enough screwdriver.

socalstang
November 10, 2007, 08:28 AM
thanx for the info.

If you enjoyed reading about "Remington 870 Express question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!