Shotgunning Tribes....

PDA

Dave McCracken
November 9, 2007, 08:52 PM
Maybe Subspecies would be more apt, but I'll stick with Tribes.

Many of us spend more time in one aspect of shotgunning than in others. Some aspects draw in personality types, oft to the point where stereotypes emerge. Here's a few...

The Steely Eyed Target Shark.....

The SETS, for short, is found in all the clay sports but is most often sighted these days on Sporting Courses. A SETS tends to be a Type A personality, is fairly to amazingly fit, and shoots long barrelled,high end O/Us. A subset shoot autoloaders with plastic furniture that are often painted like hot rods. Both kinds like extended choke tubes with lots of holes in them and worship at The Altar of The Mighty 12 gauge.

If they fish, they tend to go after Marlin and Sharks.

Key words and phrases to ID a SETS include "Digweed", "50 yard crosser" and "$%^&* Rabbit ".

SETS clothing tends to be polo shirts,caps. slacks and running shoes, frequently color co-ordinated. If they hunt over dogs, the dogs are often lean and ribby like the SETS. English pointers, GSPs, and similar are common.

The Sporting Gentleman.....

An SG tends to be older and less fit than SETS, but they often can follow a bird dog for miles and miles. SETS tend to be clean shaven while SGs favor mustaches and short, trimmed beards.

SGs like to shoot SxS shotguns of great esthetics and high cost,usually made before WWII. They like Eldridge Hardie paintings,sporting spaniels,16 and 28 gauges, and are seen shooting while wearing tweeds and little caps. If they fish, they tend to use dry flies.

Key words and phrases to ID the Sporting Gentleman (or Spo'ting Gennulman if you've read Babcock and Buckingham) include "Purdey", "Bespoke", "Galazan" and "$%^&* Rabbit".

On sporting courses SGs do not hit quite as many clays with their lethal works of art as SETS do but no one has more fun.

The Practical Tactical....

Practacs look like they've operated Armored Personnel Carriers and Police Cruisers, or at least as if they'd like to. Their shotguns are all 12 gauges, flat black and hold more shells than those of SETS or SGs. Their dogs are Rottweilers, Mastiffs,Shepherds, Dobermans and so on. The fashion tends to military haircuts, BDUs and at least one folding knife with a tanto point clipped to a pants pocket.

If they fish, they use explosives. Or at least joke about using "Dupont Lures"..

Key words and phrases for the PracTacs include "Benelli", "Split Times" and "#$%^&* last plate"....

Can you think of other Shotgunning Tribes?

Note:
All three of these groups contain many members well worth knowing and shooting with. Most Shotgunners are good folks. Let's each of us work to belong to that majority....

If you enjoyed reading about "Shotgunning Tribes...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Big Az Al
November 9, 2007, 09:42 PM
But what about the trap shooting growd,

This greggerious bunch, of shooters, likes events lasting 1, 2, 3, or even 7 days. During the coarse of a shoot the card players of this tribe will wear out several decks of cards, and while money is wagered, it is small pots, with lots of chatter and plenty of spectators.

A successful club, during a shoot, will have the look of being an RV park, play and party erea, as a large number of shooters, RV for everything

The events themselfs are usually a lot of hurrying up and waiting, balanced by an equal amount of kicking back and relaxing, with some really entense shooting sandwitched in between.

Their body types are hard generalize, their poster people tend to have amble middles, some would say even paunchy. Although there are equal mumbers of skinny bodies around.

There dress tends to be simple country type, with a large number dressed so as to say, "now there is a farmer" "T" shirts are around in equal numbers, and even a lot of yuppy outfits. Belt worn shell holders seem to out number the vests being worn around, a large number of the vests being worn are well worn even tattered.

Any shoot will have a varied showing of shotguns, A lot of single barrel OU combo's, the single barrel will be shot more then the OU"s as about 75% of all birds shot are single targets with no second shot. A surprising number of entry grade shotguns will be seen in use, right beside the high end guns.

sm
November 9, 2007, 09:48 PM
Rebels, Renegades, Reprobates.
Subset: Curmudgeons , Desperadoes, Hustlers, and Non-Sanctioned types.

These ladies and gents, run from young to old.
Many have dropped more shells than some will ever shoot.
They learned gun fit, correct basic fundamentals, and have slapped triggers in quality practice until they ran out of shells, and had to borrow shells or make a bait shop run and buy every box in the joint, no matter what guage.

These folks shoot .410, 28ga, 20ga, and 12 ga.
Then again don't be surprised if they shoot a 24 or 32 gauge.

Unwritten code : don't show up with a clean gun.

Shells often time appear they were reloaded about a dozen times too many, buy hey, that is what electrical tape and candle wax is for.
Some have kilt more than one Vacuum cleaner, and have replaced more than one delicate bag belonging to a lady.
This usually about the same time they are informed the Washer & Dryer are off limits to 28 gauge hulls being washed and dried in the darn things...

Fair Weather shooters stay on the porch, or peer out onto ranges, to watch these Folks shoot in hot and humid summer days of 117* F before heat index is figured and below freezing temps that cause skin to crack open and mustaches to break.
Rain, Sleet, Snow, T'storms and even Tornadoes, and ...
Puller pulls, as these folks don't really want to call for a target.
Low gun, target(s) tossed and they mount gun to face and slap trigger...

Rising Teal is just boring,just breaking it every time it rises... still there is that "$%^&* Rabbit ".

If they can see it, they can fell it.
Then again the gals will see some handsome stud with his shirt off and walk smooth into a bench.

No problem, the fellow watching the cute babe in Tank Top and short shorts already walked into the bench, so they help each up and swear they were looking for the short pull spring out of a pull cord.

Or the anti dust glue that the puller had to have squirted onto the box of clays before loading the trap machine...

Equipment varies from those that show off the latest find from the trash bin, and this usually followed by the sound of a pitiful shotgun hitting the ground falling out of a gun case with no zipper, and no padding...

Others just show up, borrow guns, shells, eyes and ears and hand back guns...

Bragging consists of showing that the hardware store had a screw to fit the forearm of a single shot shotgun bought at a garage sale for $25.
After someone looks through the barrel, sees a hole plumb through it, it is deemed cleanand ready to shoot, dirt dobber nest will fall off eventually ...once someone finds some dad-burned shells...
Hold these shells upright,less the pellets fall out.
Dawg done run off with the electrical tape again...

"Bang!"
"Dead bird".

And the shooter ain't even on the dang field yet, makes no never mind, if it breaks , its broke ...

<rebel grin here>

Famine
November 9, 2007, 10:57 PM
Well, I guess Iím a ďPractical TacticalĒ from that description, but I canít help but spot the prejudice toward ďmy kind.Ē I get the feel that Practical Tacticals are hicks from the hills and valleys since they use explosives to fish, and have rather low IQs since they are apparently not smart enough to become an armored car driver.

So why do I find this odd? Maybe itís because I like black guns in the gauge of 12. They match my black Camaro, my black GMC pickup, my black Harley, and the black collar on my English Mastiff. And I also like my military style haircut. Why? Because I got married seven years ago and found that paying $38 every three weeks to get my hair cut and styled didnít get me any more ďlovinĒ than a shaved head does. And guess whatÖI also like to carry sharp pointy knives in my pockets. So, since I seem to fit the mold so well, whatís the problem?

Oh yes, the obvious biases. If my assumptions are correct, and for that above description to pigeonhole me as a Practical Tactical, I should probably be blowing up fish with dynamite and praying for that armored car service job. Well actually, I enjoy fishing with flies that are attached to my Orvis rod. And as for a wan-a-be PracTac job, I guess Iím over qualified since I have three undergrads, two professional certifications, and a masters.

Itís bad enough when non-gun owners pigeonhole gun owners, but when gun owners pigeonhole their own kind, Iíve got to wonder.

Floppy_D
November 9, 2007, 11:15 PM
I don't know what I fall under, but if I shoot any form of clay, it's usually with friends, most of whom are new to it, just to get them out there. I can hit the bulk of the stuff thrown with my Stoeger 2k, and I am content. If I fish, it's for walleye and bass, stuff I learned to catch back in TX. If my haircut looks high and tight, it's because that's what Uncle Sam wants. If I'm pulling triggers I am happy, regardless of scores, and I really mean that. There's a good chance that any hull my shotgun spits, has been spit more than once through the same gun, as I reload any and everything. I like dogs, all of 'em.

I guess I'm a mutt. :)

BridgeWalker
November 9, 2007, 11:34 PM
SM, sir, you have pegged me.

Rebels, Renegades, Reprobates.
Subset: Curmudgeons , Desperadoes, Hustlers, and Non-Sanctioned types.

I am a non-sanctioned type, a soon-to-be lawyer who wants to shmooze the gentlemanly set, but who shows up in military surplus clothes. I'm absolutely dedicated to trapshooting, when I can get the other half to watch the baby or wrangle free babysitting. I'm way too serious for the casual shooters and way too broke for the SETS.

These ladies and gents, run from young to old.

28, but through culture and religious law, denied access to guns until the age of about 23.

They learned gun fit, correct basic fundamentals, and have slapped triggers in quality practice until they ran out of shells, and had to borrow shells or make a bait shop run and buy every box in the joint, no matter what guage.

I pay back my borrowed shells, generally by carefully seeking out the precise shell brand and type lent, generally by paying obscene Gander prices (so, I'm a little type A, whaddya want, I'm not just a curmidgeon in training, I'm also a law student.)

Yeah, I have a system for handling borrowing shells. That speaks volumes. I've also been known to spend my last penny buying a box from the range for $7, and then parking in the cheap or free parking six blocks away from school because my parking money bought shells (no small feat, since I leave the range at 5.30, drive half an hour to downtown, and get to class at 5.55. This is achieved through creative driving and proceeding through downtown at a dead run for six blocks, smelling of powder and sweat, and briefcase flapping at my side).

These folks shoot .410, 28ga, 20ga, and 12 ga.
Then again don't be surprised if they shoot a 24 or 32 gauge.

Blew it all on a neat gun, but I long to buy a sixteen gauge, just to be contrary. And my coz won't buy herself the .410 she wants because her male relatives don't approve. Guess what she is getting for her birthday. :D

Unwritten code : don't show up with a clean gun.

I part ways with you there. Regular cleanings are a must!, at least once a month or every 500 shells. But, a clean gun can always be blamed for lousy shooting.

Shells often time appear they were reloaded about a dozen times too many, buy hey, that is what electrical tape and candle wax is for.

Alas, I fail here for I have no press. I did swap an old gun for a bunch of #9 AA's, cuz for I want to reload the hulls. #9 is just an interesting challenge. :D

I have electrical tape on my shoes from time to time, when they start to leak...

This usually about the same time they are informed the Washer & Dryer are off limits to 28 gauge hulls being washed and dried in the darn things...

I can do that? Awesome!!!

Fair Weather shooters stay on the porch, or peer out onto ranges, to watch these Folks shoot in hot and humid summer days of 117* F before heat index is figured and below freezing temps that cause skin to crack open and mustaches to break.

I dragged my cousin out in four below, before calculating windchill to play with my new, first gun. This summer I enjoyed the warm day, when I had a hard time shooting because there was too much sweat in my eyes, and I love the way steam rises off a wet gun.

If they can see it, they can fell it.

Gettin' there. 0 to 22 in two months of regular shooting. Working on 25.

Ya pegged me, Sir. :)

I listen a lot, don't say much, except to let folks know that if they want to talk, I want to listen. And I get better, fast. I got twenty-some years to make up for.

sm
November 10, 2007, 12:35 AM
Ya know, one of these days I am going to remember to type 16 gauge when I list gauges.
My apologies .

I like 16 gauge...
I do not it when the 16 gauge gets stuck on a 12 gauge reloader though.
I have this down to a science.
Look first you dummy

Can't do that, ruins all the ranting and raving and cussing if you actually look and catch this first.

Nothing wrong with poking fun at self, and those that can poke fun at self as well, - there exists a understanding of razzing and teasing.

I started out at Skeet, razzed my Trap buddies.
They razzed me, then we all did 5 stand and Sporting clays we picked on Tennis and Golf folks.

One day out shooting 5 stand, ran into some real serious Tactical types trying 5 stand.
I mean wound up way too tight.

Got word they were coming back out and we had a plan...
WE showed up dressed in British Hunting Clothes, Pipes, and whatever else, did our best fake British Accent [Southern Boys doing this mind you].
I had a Ithaca Riot Gun, another fellow a 1897, 1100, and one busted old Singe Shot with electrical tape and bailing wire...but he did have a 9 iron.

"Mind if we play through?" He asked.

Did you know, some folks will just stand there, look at you like you are plumb nuts?
Inside the clubs house folks dying laughing, ladies about to pee themselves.

We settled any differences we had, they admitted being a bit wrapped around the axle and into equipment too much.
We confirmed we were indeed totally nuts.

So we actually gave lessons to these folks, improved their game, got a dad and wife to come out and shoot skeet, and hunting trips were planned and and it was all good.

Crazy Quail they watched us shoot.
Then we coached them through...
"This is not easy, and very humbling, they admitted.

Reminds me.

Tennis Tribe.

One of the wives married to the 6'2" "wall" [solid as one] said she used to play tennis years ago and was thinking of getting back into tennis.
"I can't break a clay" she said.
I said "can't died" come on.

So while she is meeting other ladies, I go snag a Tennis Raquet from the clubhouse, very useful tool for a clubhouse, just like a 7 iron is...

Husband comes down to the field where we are are hears his wife saying "I broke another one".

"Honey??" he says...
"Well she is 7 for 7 breaking <toss another clay her way, she breaks with racquet> make that 8 for 8, we ain't to using a shotgun yet, but we got her breaking clays".

<chuckle> "You folks are nuts!"
"Yeah but for the price of them tennis outfits she can get a nice shotgun" we quipped back.

She ended up taking up Skeet, got a used 1100 in 20 gauge and had a great time with the ladies.

Husband ended up quitting tactical, taking up Skeet, then 5 stand then Sporting clays, they had a great time doing shotgun stuff together.

ugaarguy
November 10, 2007, 04:50 AM
Itís bad enough when non-gun owners pigeonhole gun owners, but when gun owners pigeonhole their own kind, Iíve got to wonder.
Famine, take a step back. Dave has shared here in the past that he's a retired Corrections Officer having served with the Federal Bureau of Prisons. He's worn the BDUs and the close cropped haircut. He's lived the practical tactical as a BOP shotgun instructor. He's joked about the gun club in Maryland where he shoots having a 23" minimal barrel length to keep him off the skeet range with his riot guns, lest he offend old attitudes.

At the same time he's also shared about shooting some older and newer double guns playing the role of a SETS or an SG.

I think he's trying to get folks to look at the stereotypical groups and realize we're all gun owners first, shotgunners second, and shotgun tribesmen last.

For what it's worth my two shotguns are a little blued & wood Winchester 37A 20 gauge, and an 18.5" barrel 11-87 Police, parkerized finish, complete with mag extension, black synthetic furniture, and tritium front bead. I also have a magazine plug, standard mag cap, and 26" RemChoke bbl to turn that 11-87 into a field gun. I'm prior Air Force, in my mid 20s, and now wear a closely trimmed beard. I guess I fit somewhere in sm's Rebel crowd.

rantingredneck
November 10, 2007, 08:32 AM
I guess I fit the Renegades, Rebels and Reprobates best, with occasional forays into the practical tactical and SG crowds.

TexasRifleman
November 10, 2007, 09:40 AM
These folks shoot .410, 28ga,

Those 2 groups are generally the ones I fear the most in a contest of skill....

Dave McCracken
November 10, 2007, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the responses, folks.

Famine, in the real world I was HOA for the LE 3 gun league here in MD in 83 and 86. I was runnerup in 85 to a woman I taught from scratch.

Retired CO( LT). Still have short hair(what's left of it), a couple "Serious" 870s with high round counts and there's a very sharp tanto point Cold Steel Voyager clipped to my Lee's.

Besides working in the trenches, my duties for 20 years of DOC included HRT, Weapons Squad of the Regional Tac Unit,Firearms and Self Defense Instruction, and so on.

And YES, I fished with C4. Long ago, far away.

I regard all three Tribes I wrote about with respect and true affection. The thread is for entertainment and to remind us we're all in this together.

No offense was intended. I save offense for Sarah Brady, etc....

MCgunner
November 10, 2007, 10:15 AM
I guess I best fit the "SG" except that I'm broke and can't afford a nice Parker or LC Smith vintage SxS. I have a 1971 vintage Spanish gun that's got a little class in an economy sort of way, but my current fav is a new Remington Spartan. ROFLMAO!!!!! So, I guess I'm the poor white trash subset of the sporting gentleman. :D

doc2rn
November 10, 2007, 12:17 PM
I wanna sub catagorize the Prac Tac group with a beer drinking, tobacco chewing, God fearing, bare foot, bib overall wearing, back hills type called the Red Neck. He likes to fish in the morning, hunt in the evening, fix the transmission to his pick up in the bath tub, and do back breaking labor in a coal mine. He is a descent hard working type who enjoys simple things like blue grass music, card games like pitch, and uses CB radios to talk with neighbors.
Of course he wears BDUs with a pocket knife, and even has the crop top hair cut, but I think he deserves some recognition.:p

sm
November 10, 2007, 12:21 PM
<David Allan Coe Voice>

My buddy Dave wrote the original thread post about Shotgun Tribes.
He encouraged others to assist him as he knows there is no perfect gun, ammo, shotgunner or thread.
So I waited and old Steve posted, and sure enough I figgered he'd toss in some Rebels, and Renegades sorts.

I read the replies, appreciated the input, then I kicked Steve's feet, handed him a cup of coffee, left a honey bun on his 'puter desk, and waited for the rest of the thread.

He ain't share yet about kids, momma's, daddy's , grandpa's , dawgs or trucks yet.

sm
November 10, 2007, 12:37 PM
I wanna do that, I want to go, puh-leez! Yeah, that was fun and cool!

This here Tribe is the future of , Shooters, Firearms, Hunting, and all Freedom is about.
We speaking of kids here. Oh they may be too little to actually shoot, still they pull handles on MEC reloaders, use shell stackers to get reloaded shells into shell boxes, and smell like Hoppe's No. 9 and Johnson's Paste wax when little hands, and big eyes,assist with shotgun inspect and maintenance.

They get a bit bigger, and use a rifle stock off a .22 rifle, and put feet onto mats with feet prints to learn stance, correct mounting of gun to face and all.
Four Rules of Safety, and side by side with a bigger person, they learn shotgunning.

BB Gun stage hits, and with sights busted off, they continue to learn lessons of shotgunning.

Leg cramps and growing pains later, there they are, with a shotgun just their size with real light loads.
The big folks at the range, well they watched the Future come up, spoiled them rotten in the Club House, out on the fields by letting them watch, pull birds and the kids worked hard gathering up boxes for the trash.

Bigger folks make a big deal about their shotgun, they ask to borrow it and shoot with it, pretty neat to see a big person want to shoot your gun, and break targets.
"Thank YOU!" followed by sir or ma'am when a box of shells is given to that kid, and no amount of money could buy these moments.

Big People stop let a kid and new shotgun shoot some easy targets.
The kid pulls a few birds for others, but they tire out just not being any bigger, so the big folks shoot some more, and that new puppy dawg up at the Club House porch needs some attention...

Capstick1
November 10, 2007, 05:49 PM
I'm not sure what category I'd fall into. I'm one of the older crowd. Paunchy in the middle. Like listening to heavy metal and Classic rock but can't stand country and rap. I normally wear blue jeans and a t shirt with my Clays vest. I like both dogs and cats and own a Sheltie. I'm dedicated to the 12ga and normally shoot trap because I'm absolutely horrible at skeet. My normal weapons of choice are either my Belgian Auto five, 11-87, or 870. I do own a Browning 525 but when you go through 300rds in a day this O/U turns your shoulder black and blue. I enjoy shooting with friends and don't really judge a person by what kind of shotgun they shoot. I've seen some very good trapshooters that were deadly with cheap kmart special singleshot shotguns.

Dave McCracken
November 10, 2007, 06:06 PM
Redneck Shotgunners have been covered elsewhere (The Redneck Cup). I have to admit I resemble that remark.

I went to PGC this AM to help out with the Youth shooters program they have. A group of adolescents with rental shotguns for the most part, but good kids and our hope for the future.

Also there, a bit of a surprise. It seems the 4H clubs have a shooting program and today was a range day for them. I spoke to their Honcho. He had 57 kids there today, shooting trap and skeet.

I applauded his efforts, commended him, and spoke my mind.

That's 57 shotgunners of tomorrow.

57 voters.

57 points of light.

I care not if they end up as SETS, SGs, Practacs or whatever. As long as they shoot, own guns and know what to do.

sm
November 10, 2007, 06:53 PM
Oh Hooooney! ,Oh, Dadeee!, Oh Sweetieeee? Say Dad!, Say Grandpa! Tribe.

Granted ladies make up the majority of this tribe, and most times these ladies are standing there with a 28 gauge shotgun, grinning ear to ear , batting eyes and the sounds of "pitter-patter" in hearts.

Men folk being the recipient of all this , well "$%^&* Rabbit " is not what they say, instead " $%^&* Steve" and they do tend to reach back to wallets and sigh real hard.
Steve is no dummy , he hides behinds the gal with the 28 gauge shotgun...

Men, well they are not real smart as it has been suggested.
Some dads and grandpas will actually hand a kid or grandson some nice 28 gauge, Model 12, 1897, and wonder how come they did not take this gun home, instead that boy.

Others do dumb stuff like "Yeah, go ahead, shoot Dave's or Will gun, have fun".
Then wonder "whut happened" when that boy has to have one.
Word I get is Dave's and Will types hide behind the Boys Mom, or Grandmother.

Sometimes guys get lucky, they managed to hit the toilet more than miss, take out the garbage without being reminded and walked the dawg and the lady gets all brain farted and she wants to get him whatever that neat shotgun was he shot and really wanted.

Funny how a cup of tea, munching on chocolate, after the gun is bought, fella is out shooting it these ladies have an epiphany : "$%^&* Rabbit " my foot! " $%^&* Steve" and all the chocolate I coulda bought for what I paid for that gun!

Larry Ashcraft
November 10, 2007, 07:03 PM
I'm more likely to be found in a duck blind, a dove field or chasing up quail or pheasants.

But I do enjoy shooting clays. I prefer sporting clays and I use the same shotgun I use for hunting, my plain jane Citori.

We do enjoy helping the kids, though:

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=61211&d=1185148371

That's our nephew Josh and his friend, learning the ropes with Sandy's 28 ga SXS.

Scoupe
November 10, 2007, 07:18 PM
Hmm, I'm a sub-clan of the Sporting gents, the skeeters. Skeeters tend to carry a lot more "ballast" than the larger tribe, but share a lot of the personality traits.

This time of year, I'm a bleary-eyed marsh wader. We're found in low wet areas with fake ducks and kazoos. Marsh Waders are often distracted by gadgets that don't work or break easily and end up just concentrating on staying still and keeping sunlight off their faces.

gp911
November 10, 2007, 11:12 PM
Which tribe for the specialist? The simple folk with simple needs, that haven't followed the trends much and save their shells for putting food on the table? Lots of them around these parts, especially back where I grew up. A battered pump or single shot that gets ten shells put through it whether it needs it or not, then gets drug out in the sleet to shoot a deer, and gets one most every year. Cheap slugs through that old modified choke barrel and they find the pocket every time, assuming a deer is spotted. Some years you're sitting where they ain't. Hiding scent means never washing your coveralls, and never mind the leftover beer-sweat and cheap cig smells, I'll be downwind, thank you very much. These types own maybe four guns total. A shotgun, a .22 rifle, a heavy revolver they can hunt with, and a muzzleloader. Target shooting is boring, but if enough folks get together there might be some old appliances out back to shoot up. Primary dailywear is camo, trucks are 3/4 ton or heavier, and the hard and fast rule is that something is always in season. Doves, crows, squirrels, starlings, you name it, there's a season for it. Hunting licenses are like a legacy, and there are a pile of them in a closet somewhere underneath the old boots that have a hole in them but might be useful for running out to fetch a log or two in the winter, whenever they find their way out of the closet. These are the folks that live to hunt. I am not one of them, but I grew up around them and admired their sense of purpose. I wouldn't call them rednecks necessarily, but they're somewhere in the arena previously described by others, maybe...

gp911

rantingredneck
November 10, 2007, 11:18 PM
gp911 just described my grandfather. :)

sixgunner455
November 10, 2007, 11:54 PM
I think I'm an SG, but with reprobate tendencies. I use an old double. 20 guage, think it was born in Spain. Drool over more expensive ones with coin finished recievers and dogs engraved on them. Have camo that goes hunting, leftover from years in the army. I have tans and greens and such too that my wife likes me to wear instead -- "it looks better, and matches. Camo doesn't match anything." Beard and moustache -- not in the service anymore, wife doesn't hassle me about it as long as I don't go Grizzly Adams with it. Belly isn't as flat as it used to be, but I can follow a pretty little Brittany around in the hills. She points doves, sometimes we luck into a quail. Still hasn't stopped chasing the @#$#% rabbits.

rantingredneck
November 11, 2007, 12:00 AM
wife doesn't hassle me about it as long as I don't go Grizzly Adams with it

My wife says the exact same thing to me when mine gets a little out of control. I spent a week in the hospital recently and didn't shave while in. On the way home she said, "You're shaving when you get home"

sixgunner455
November 11, 2007, 12:42 AM
On the way home she said, "You're shaving when you get home"

Oh, mine doesn't ever say that. I haven't shaved in months. :D

She just prefers that I trim it, instead of looking like a mountain man. Doesn't like it to be all bushy. Runs hairs up her nose, you know. Tickles.

rantingredneck
November 11, 2007, 10:23 AM
I do the goatee thing and the cheeks and neck were a little more grizzly adams than normal when she said that :D.

macFarlaine
November 11, 2007, 12:11 PM
I shoot a 12b English SBS,I prefer wildfowling,but also shoot on driven pheasant and grouse days.I squirrel shoot with an old .410.I would be interested to know what catergory you put me in as I am English/Scottish.Polite replies please.Oh..I do wear a neck tie and breeks on driven days.

Dave McCracken
November 11, 2007, 09:22 PM
Mac, you're probably the only poster on this thread that wears a tie while shooting. That's an observation, not criticism.

You sound more like a Sporting Gentleman than not,with all the driven shooting, but you get to pick your tribe, or tribes.

I have roots in all tribes mentioned and prefer the term Appalachian-American to Redneck. I'll answer to either, however.

rantingredneck
November 11, 2007, 09:30 PM
LOL @ Appalachian-American.

I just picked up another shotgun today. A mossberg 500AT 18.5". I know, heresy from such an 870 guy, but hey I had something I didn't want anymore that he did, and I can always use another shotgun. :)

I guess with another 18 inch barrel around I took one more step into the Tac/Prac crowd. :uhoh:

But my folder isn't tanto pointed. I prefer a good drop point. :)

Dave McCracken
November 11, 2007, 09:50 PM
Enjoy your new Mossie, RR.

The knife in the other front pocket has a clip point. The right tool for the job....

rantingredneck
November 12, 2007, 10:35 AM
Soon as my back heals up I'm gonna be having some fun at the range with two new shotguns. I've got a new 870 and 500 in the safe now. Ahhh, the pattern testing that has to be done. I've already got another barrel for this 500 on the way from Vic Havlin at havlinsales.com. Found an 18.5" accu-choke barrel last night for 70 bucks. That'll give me more flexibility with loads than this cyl bore barrel.

This one might end up being my "trunk gun"

We'll see............:)

Whole Hog
November 12, 2007, 10:41 AM
I shot doves one time while wearing a suit, and my father-in-law wore a cummerbund and ruffled shirt. One of his daughters had an afternoon wedding and the festivities ended in time for us to get in a little shooting. At sundown the gentleman farmer whose front yard we were sitting in served cocktails on a tray.

Dave McCracken
November 12, 2007, 09:44 PM
Good buy on the barrel,RR. Hope you heal fast and well.

WH, shot trap once in a tux. I drive limos and was doing a wedding. A shotgun in the trunk just seemed appropriate and I had a couple hours while the reception went on.

enfield
November 12, 2007, 09:59 PM
I'd be a financially-embarrassed spo'tin Gennulman. Got the beard & moustache, but my fine double was made in Russia. :D

Famine
November 12, 2007, 10:21 PM
Famine, take a step back. Dave has shared here in the past that he's a retired Corrections Officer having served with the Federal Bureau of Prisons. He's worn the BDUs and the close cropped haircut. He's lived the practical tactical as a BOP shotgun instructor. He's joked about the gun club in Maryland where he shoots having a 23" minimal barrel length to keep him off the skeet range with his riot guns, lest he offend old attitudes.

What...did I come off too strong? ;) I'm somewhat familiar with Dave's background, and I really liked what he had to say when I was asking questions about buying an 870 a year or two ago. I actually like most everything that he shares here.

The way I see it, the PracTac folks are beginners because that's all they can afford at the time. As folks get established, they make more money and buy nicer guns with pretty wood stocks.

But since this thread is all in good humor, how about a tribe that consists of folks who by guns for "what if" situations. Is that a special tribe or is that to general? Basically, you think of a plausable "what if" situation, and you buy the gun for that situation. You start with the most plausable situation, and slowly work toward the least plausable. You're done buying guns with you either (a) have covered every situation possible, or (b) have bought every type of gun. Just curious.:)

sm
November 12, 2007, 10:26 PM
I still think they should award Style Points...

Lady Partner and I showed up for this "Serious Use" deal we did back in the day.
Before 3 Gun and some of what goes on now...
Everyday folks, situations and having to deal with these, with whatever gun(s) folks had back in the day.

Got wind a buddy of Mine was showing with a tie, and sports coat. This was dress up for him, his cover was a Biker...
His lady pard, his "old lady" on a Bike, wore a dress...

Others about like them...

So my Lady Pard in a little black dress, and I do mean little -"maybe we can distract and get points me running around about half nekkid" she said.
I am wearing Nice casuals, Sport Coat and tie...
Show up in a Lincoln Limo...

We are looking good, we have to get any "style points"...just have to! Right?
Wrong
Helicopter hovers, Frank Sinatra blaring, Dude is in Tux, his gal in Evening dress ...
Up-Stagged Big time.

Don't tell me a lady in a Little Black Dress, Dress, or Evening Dress cannot run a shotgun, and with slugs, I know better.

Situations were- getting dressed and going out, being out, or arriving home and having to deal with threats in such clothes.

Try shooting in something other than what you normally wear to shoot in...

sm
November 12, 2007, 10:47 PM
But since this thread is all in good humor, how about a tribe that consists of folks who by guns for "what if" situations. Is that a special tribe or is that to general? Basically, you think of a plausable "what if" situation, and you buy the gun for that situation. You start with the most plausable situation, and slowly work toward the least plausable. You're done buying guns with you either (a) have covered every situation possible, or (b) have bought every type of gun. Just curious.

Here is where I stay in trouble.

Forever folks have learned to shoot, and became one with the gun, and were able to use said gun for every situation needed.

I believe in passing forward, learning with a bone stock, wood stocked shotgun.
Getting the gun fit to shooter, getting correct basic fundamentals patterning the gun, everything.
Never learn on a crutch, never.

One becomes one with the gun, and if a clay shooter can hit a 4" disk moving 55 mph....with a bone stock shotgun, don't tell me they cannot hit a threat if need be.
Truth is, they may have more trigger time, and more smooth and fast than many other shooters.

Seasoned bird hunter, again, the ability to remain calm when a quail explodes at feet , correctly mount gun to face and fell, is again , a sign of being one with the gun.

These same folks have defended with the same clay or bird gun. It made no difference what gauge, using only 2 3/4" shells, restricted to 1, 2, or 3 shells.
Yep, single shots have taken clays, game and threats.

Now, if one chooses to say take up Sporting Clays, go see Will Fennel for instance.
Defensive shotgun, Awerbuck for example.

Both will share about gun fit being tweaked a bit more , and other things that can assist one for clays or defensive use better.
Both will also tell you, what you have will work.

Both will share it is attitude, mindset, and willingness to put in the trigger time to be one with the gun for respective uses.

In the Real World, there is no starting buzzer, or classes ratings, or points awarded.
You either survive, get injured, get maimed for life or die.

Beretta 303 in 20 gauge, 1100 20 gauge also used for Skeet, Win 1300, and Rem 870 used for ducks, upland, deer, turkey and small game, Kreifghoff o/u, Citori O/U, Beretta O/U...Single Shot shotguns and others, have stopped what needed stopping.

These folks knew the guns as a body part.

Dave McCracken
November 13, 2007, 10:13 AM
Famine, IMO Practacs are "What if" shooters.

After all, many of us have guns because the world is full of surprises, many of which are unpleasant and/or lethal. I confess it's one of my reasons.

And many of us that delight in fine wood and well stricken barrels keep an 870 or similar loaded with 00 around in case things hinky up.

Big Az Al
November 15, 2007, 02:52 PM
If it goes bang I am all over it,

Right now I hang out most often with the "Studgy Ole Trap shooters", and it seems a good fit.

But I also wear the Skeet shooter cap from time to time.

And 5 stand has some merit,

That sporting caly group seems to yuppie for me, after all changing chokes for almost all stations, I mean if one choke won't do you for a season, come on!

I really would like to find the time to get the hunting cap out of the closet, that is what I miss the most!

I guess I am just a shooter, trap for know, but I will get to what I can as I can!

stevelyn
November 16, 2007, 09:27 AM
I'm a PracTac mainly due to my job (I drive a police cruiser and wear short hair) and also because it's my go-to gun for furry critter defense, but I do have an O/U for birds.

If you enjoyed reading about "Shotgunning Tribes...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!