I'm <about to be> a New Owner.

PDA

watts300
November 9, 2007, 10:04 PM
In the next couple weeks (whenever the state sends me my updated driver's license) I plan on buying a .22.

I do not plan on hunting. Not that I have anything against hunting or hunters -- in fact, I think it's awesome catching your own food. Hunting just isn't for me.
On the other hand, having a rifle in my hands just gets my blood pumping. I just plan on target shooting at ranges, and random plinking if I can ever find some space out here in central Texas to accommodate me.
I love the idea of precision shooting and hitting that bull's eye every time; so eventually, if I can ever find the outlet, I'd like to compete.

But I'm new to all this as I have never bought a gun of my own. So my first question is pretty obvious -- is .22 a caliber that can even be used in competitions? I don't really want to buy anything other than a .22, so if it's not "competable," I just won't compete. Mostly because of the initial cost of my current choices, and secondly, the cost of ammunition.

I'm really liking the Marlin 925. I've held and handled one in a store. It feels good in my hands.
With a scope and rifle, my ceiling is ~$230. The rifle I get is one I'm going to keep indefinitely and probably give to my son one day, so the feature I'm pretty steadfast on is bolt action. However, if some one can show me another rifle in the same price range that's better, and tell me why, that's fantastic.

Any advice?

If you enjoyed reading about "I'm <about to be> a New Owner." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dave Markowitz
November 9, 2007, 10:10 PM
A .22 is certainly useful for competition. A rifle in your budget would be suitable for use in various sporter class competitions. E.g., 50 yard benchrest and smallbore silhouette. Sporting .22 rifles won't be competitive in position shooting at bullseyes. You'll need a heavy barrel target gun for that.

The Marlin should be just fine and last you the rest of your life as long as you take care of it. Another option to look at is the Savage Mark II. It's also a bolt action and now comes with Savage's AccuTrigger, which may give it an edge over the Marlin when it comes to a good trigger pull without any gunsmithing. I own two left handed Savage rimfire bolt guns that were made before the AccuTrigger (a Mark IIGL in .22 LR and a 93 GL in .22 Magnum), and have been very pleased with them.

Il Duca
November 9, 2007, 10:38 PM
I think since this is your first rifle, leave the scope out and put more into the rifle. It's always beneficial to learn with irons. It would also allow you to get a little better rifle. And don't be afraid to buy a used rifle. You can usually pick up a nice older rifle of better quality at a lower price. The pawn shops are full of old Remingtons, Winchesters and Mossbergs. Many came with very nice peep sights. Don't be afraid if the rifle isn't a beauty queen either. I have an old Remington 521T J.S. I am about to sell that while it isn't a real looker, man can it shoot.

watts300
November 9, 2007, 11:05 PM
I certainly have nothing against buying a used rifle. It's just a matter of finding one that I like.

Sporting .22 rifles won't be competitive in position shooting at bullseyes. You'll need a heavy barrel target gun for that.
Heavy barrel gun... what's a good example of one?

I like the looks of the Mark II, too.

Rapidfire_85
November 10, 2007, 12:01 AM
check out the boards over at
http://www.rimfirecentral.com

Tons of .22 info there. I'll throw out the suggestion for the ruger 10/22. They are semi-auto, and not the most accurate thing you can buy, buy they are fun. I bought it as my first rifle. That being said, my next purchase I intend to buy a Savage Mark II. My 10/22 is fun, there are tons of aftermarket parts available out for it...but I seem to get more shooting satisfaction from a bolt-action .22.

esmith
November 10, 2007, 12:14 AM
Good .22s surround the entire United States. It shouldn't be hard to find one thats decent. My Mossberg 340bd was shooting inside the 1" ring even when i wasn't trying to shoot that well. I believe this was at 40 yards if i can remember correctly.

I have held and used similar rifles to the 925 and they function fine. If you can get one for a good deal then by all means pick it up, buy some ammo and blaze away. Plus theres a whole lot of targets you can shoot at that make shooting a lot more fun. Spinner targets and such.

If you want a target rifle, its going to jack the price up. A lot. I myself am not knowledged in that field but i know its expensive.

DougW
November 10, 2007, 11:59 AM
The Marlin is a sweet rifle. As stated before, look at used too, because you can find a low mileage .22 for a real good price these days. The Winchester, Marlin, Ruger, and Remington rim fires (to name a few) are all great starter rifles. My Ruger 10/22 has not been fired in about 3 years. The Savage bolt actions are also a great way to learn the art of "the Rifleman" too.

With the costs of centerfire ammo these days, I am about to dust off the 10/22 and start shooting it much more often.

Gustav
November 10, 2007, 03:31 PM
A good Marlin or Savage if taken care of can become a treasured family heirloom.

Spend more than you may want or initially plan on the rifle as you will end up using it allot more than probably any other rifle in your soon to be growing collection.

A good .22 is something you will never outgrow, a mediocre or low budget one often as one gets older sees less and less use as tastes usually improve kind of like a good wine only getting better with age.

You may also want to look around for a good deal on a Ruger 77/22 also allot of older discontinued makes and models can be had for not allot of money they have many good years of life left in them and the quality of them is often better than some of the new rifles being turned out and sold today.;)

A good book for you to invest in is The Blue Book Of Gun Values it is a blue book of past and present firearms of all kinds.

Check for good deals check out and monitor

www.gunbroker.com

www.gunsamerica.com

www.auctionarms.com

Ask around as any FFL can order one for you for a small fee.

I would agree as to holding off on a scope and putting as much as you can into a good solid decent quality .22 rifle as a scope can always be added later.

I have had my first .22 for around 3 decades and its still going strong, take good care of yours it will help to fill your life with many memories.:D

Best of luck;)

tnieto2004
November 10, 2007, 04:49 PM
I love my 10/22

Rimfirecentral.com has tons of info on the 10/22

Il Duca
November 10, 2007, 06:03 PM
older discontinued makes and models can be had for not allot of money they have many good years of life left in them and the quality of them is often better than some of the new rifles being turned out and sold today.

I agree! I collect older rimfires and I have several from the 30's and 40's including various Mossbergs and Remingtons to my 1935 Pre-A Winchester 52 and they will shoot with the best. My 52 has spanked more than a couple Anschutz rifles, and I haven't even had it long! And it isn't even a heavy bbl, just a standard target! When I get the scope on it, it will be very competitive. Most of your rifles today couldn't hope to give you that type of accuracy without lots of modifications.

You can also usually get more performance for your money out of the older target model rifles. The Mossbergs for example came with superb aperture sights, lead lapped bbls, adjustable triggers (on alot of them), many came with target style stocks and heavy bbls, etc.

Vicious-Peanut
November 10, 2007, 06:25 PM
I have a Marlin 925M (.22 magnum version) and it is a great rifle. You should be very pleased with a 925.

Welcome!

If you enjoyed reading about "I'm <about to be> a New Owner." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!