Difference between 168gr and 168gr Match ammo

PDA

hsiddall
November 10, 2007, 12:57 PM
Wel my 700P on .308 will be here n monday and obvioslky I am going for accuracy but only to 100yards for now(600 yard range opening at club this spring). Wha tis the difference between Regular ammo and match ammo? Also feel free to leave your favorite .308win recipes....:DThanx
Harley

If you enjoyed reading about "Difference between 168gr and 168gr Match ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
strat81
November 10, 2007, 05:41 PM
Match ammo is often loaded with a match-grade bullet like a Sierra Matchking or Nosler Competition. Match primers and more consistent powder charges are often involved too.

JNewell
November 10, 2007, 07:40 PM
My 700LTR shoots the Fed GMM 168gr load so well that I doubt I could do better with handloads.

SlamFire1
November 10, 2007, 09:07 PM
Looked up the Remington 700P and was unable to tell the barrel twist.

That rifle looks like it is capable of shooting match bullets to their potential.

The 168 Match bullet is the accuracy "standard" by which you compare other 308 bullets. If your rifle will not shoot a 168 SMK, 40.5-41.5 grs IMR 4895 LC case, WLR, Fed primer into a sub moa knot, you have a rifle problem. Or a shooter problem.

I have used 168 Match bullets by Sierra, Nosler, Hornady and Speer. They all shoot well. Sierra is still, in my opinion, the "standard" by which you measure match bullet accuracy. When Nosler came out with 168's, I purchased a bunch and they are superbly accurate. And when I purchased 1000 168 Hornady's from Pat's reloading at Camp Perry, those bullets shot very well out to 600 yards. I was shooting in the lower 190's at 600 yards with them, which is pretty good for me. Of course all the previously mentioned bullets shoot sub MOA groups off the bench, and I have shot a good number of cleans with the Nosler, Sierra, and most recently, the Hornady's.

None of these bullets are suitable as hunting bullets, they just are not designed for anything but pin point accuracy.

You will also find that Sierra 150 Matchkings are wonderfully accurate. So are the 175's.

The wonderful thing about the 308 is that it is so easy to make sub MOA ammunition, there are so many excellent bullets, and the case shoots a wide variety of powders well.

JNewell
November 11, 2007, 08:32 PM
1/12" for all Remington LE 700 rifles (http://www.remingtonle.com/rifles/700.htm).

My LTR likes 168gr best but some rifles of the same twist might prefer another weight. Shoot to evaluate.

dmftoy1
November 12, 2007, 07:58 AM
Federal Gold Match shoots really well in my 10FLP, but a bit of playing with powder charges and COL let me cut close to .25 out of my groups in my handloads. I was pretty tickled as I don't consider myself an experienced rifle reloader but I just followed the manuals really closely and slowly tweaked my COL. (I been playing with 175 Grain A-Max's but have had best results with Sierra and Hornady 168's . .my rifle has a 1x10 twist though)

Regards,
Dave

If you enjoyed reading about "Difference between 168gr and 168gr Match ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!