component question......

PDA

pistolman1974
November 10, 2007, 03:00 PM
As I look at several different sources of reloding data from sources including manuals and charts that come with the dies. Some of the manuals have the components used listed and some others don't. When I start with the starting load does it matter if the manual uses winchester small pistol primers and I only have CCI small pistol primers Or if the 115 grain fmj bullet is made by speer or hornady?

If you enjoyed reading about "component question......" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
The Bushmaster
November 10, 2007, 03:10 PM
If you change any of the components for a particular powder you must start from the lower powder charge weight and work up watching for high pressure signs or when you find a loading that shoots to your desire...If you are using lead bullets, stay with lead bullet data and the same with copper jacketed bullets. Use the jacketed data..

Ol` Joe
November 10, 2007, 03:10 PM
Yes!
The data you are seeing is only valid with the exact components listed. That doesn`t mean the data isn`t usful. The manuals are not meant to be exact, the gun used, the component lots, the temp, hunidity, ect all will change the result one gets from a given load. The loads are guide lines and with a couple of them as referance one can get a good idea of where to start and when he is getting to the point he should stop.
Sub`ing the bullet will make the most change in the load, USUALLY. Primers and cases are not so drastic in their affect on the load. Use the starting point in the books, work up, keep an eye out for possible problems and stop at or before the max listed in the book for the bullet you are useing and you should be fine.

RustyFN
November 10, 2007, 03:17 PM
I don't think it makes a difference who makes the 115 grain FMJ as long as you are using the data for the right style and grain bullet. The same goes for primers. You can use any brand but you always want to start low and work up, Never start at or near max load. I have uaed CCI and Win primers so far in 9mm and with the same load. I didn't change my load when I change primers because I don't load near max. If I was loading near max then I would drop the charge a little and work back up. I am now starting to use Magteck and Wolf primers because of the price.
Rusty

pistolman1974
November 10, 2007, 03:24 PM
Thanks you all, your responses were REALLY helpful. Any other advice is also welcome.

The Bushmaster
November 10, 2007, 04:22 PM
Advice? Why yes...Sit down at your bench and enjoy...

zxcvbob
November 10, 2007, 04:35 PM
Use whatever brand bullets and primer you want (or have). Reduce the data in the loading book at least 5% and work your way up until you find a load that you like. If you change brand of primers or use a bullet with a significantly different profile, back off and work it up again. Be careful to keep the overall length *very* consistent. Take notes; once you find a great load you'll want to be able to duplicate it later.

If you enjoyed reading about "component question......" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!