For those with the Lee Perfect measure

PDA

karnaaj
November 10, 2007, 07:55 PM
I am probably not going to be able make any sense with this question but I will give it a shot. I bought the Lee universal charging die so I could load on my turret press. The problem is I cannot get the charge bar to return all the way to the top so it can get another charge. Its got to do something with the way the measure is attached to the die but I can't figure it out for the life of me. Any suggestions?

If you enjoyed reading about "For those with the Lee Perfect measure" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
FieroCDSP
November 10, 2007, 08:31 PM
Hmm.. Okay, so you have the PPM and the universal charging die. Your Z-bar is attached, but when you return the ram, the PPM doesn't cycle all the way down to pick up the new charge? Are you required to use the chain with it on your press? If the chain is mal-adjusted, it won't return it back to the proper position. Check step 6 of your charging die's instructions carefully to make sure you didn't miss anything important.

FieroCDSP
November 10, 2007, 08:38 PM
After close examination of the instructions, it appears the chain is primarily for the progressives, like the Loadmaster and the Pro-1000, so it might or might not be applicable with your specific press. I'm sure you could rig it somehow to use the chain as part of the return sysem. Lee's stuff is simple enough that there are all kinda of ways to rig things.

jfh
November 10, 2007, 09:00 PM
There may be some terminology problems here. AFAIK, the Perfect Powder Measure does NOT use the adjustable charge bar--only the Auto-disk / PRO auto-disk packages do. And THOSE I know something about, since I have several of them, and all of them set up with the adjustable charge bars.

You're using this on the Turret--so that means the parts on the base should have a spring to "automatically" return the Charge bar to a fill position. Do you have it set up with those parts, and not with the chain / manual return assembly?

If you do have the spring installed, then the most likely problem is that you simply have the hopper mount screwed down too tight. Alternatively, it's possible that it was loose enough for powder to get in and bind and jam it up--but that's pretty unlikely.

I'd start with loosening the hopper mounting screws / nuts slightly. It's a feel thing.

Jim H.

karnaaj
November 10, 2007, 09:03 PM
The chain doesn't seem to be the problem. Even when manually pulling on the chain i cannot get the charge bar to fully cycle. The problem seems to be the piece of plastic that the z bar attachs to. It slides down the die thus lowering the z bar so that when it returns the piece of plastic seems to get caught on the threads of the die. This prevents the charge handle from completing its traverse.

FieroCDSP
November 10, 2007, 10:54 PM
okay. I've never used the universal charging die, but I'm am trying to help as best I can, so if I ask something that you've tried, please be nice to me :D

As far as I can tell from the instructions, that plate is not supposed to move. I could be wrong, but it seems that you're supposed to put it on the die, then lock the changable guide on it so it doesn't move. You're saying when you raise it, it goes up normally, but when it comes back down, the locking plate is slipping down and not entirely resetting the measure.

Okay, after looking at my PPM and visualizing it's working on this method, there is either something wrong with your connecting plate, or it's not being installed right.
The interchangable bushing, the one that screws into the top of the charging die that you have to change between larger and smaller calibers (it rides on the rim of the case), has to lock the plastic plate that the bottom of the Z bar goes into, in the die. This piece cannot be allowed move up or down for the reasons you're experiencing.
The measure works by moving away from the bar, and the plate, as the measure is being pushed up by the case, which is pushing up on the insert you install. For the Z-bar to pull down on the measure, it has to have a static reference point. The connector cannot move up because it is being blocked by the larger adapter. It should not be able to move down, but from the pictures, it's harder to tell if it's held by friction or if there's supposed to be a retainer built into the plate that keeps it from moving.

I can't see how this could be assembled wrong with but one exception: If that plate we to be installed upside-down, the Z-bar would have it's refrence moved further up, and then it would bind at the bottom of the return stroke, preventing it from moving to the stop. The only way to relieve this binding would be for the Z-bar to pop out. at the top or bottom, or just plain bend. Even then, the plate looks like it's size specific, with the larger hole being the top.

Without being there or having video or picture, I can't be more helpful than what I have been (IF I have been at all). You can always call Lee, or write to them at info@leeprecision.com. I just did the other day regarding my sizing die shaving brass in an uncomfortable way, and they were prompt, polite, and very interested in helping me. Maybe they had a bad run of connecting plates that had an escapee.

I hope something of what I've said has helped, but if not, I can't be faulted for trying. Good Luck and keep us posted.

FieroCDSP
November 10, 2007, 10:55 PM
Double post

JDGray
November 10, 2007, 11:03 PM
Get your self a Pro Auto Disc, I never could figure out they could make the PPM work on a turret:confused::) I still use mine, but its a bench mounted unit, for small batches.

jfh
November 10, 2007, 11:16 PM
So, after I posted my comments about the Perfect Measure, I went down and checked it (and the Universal PTED) and it all came back to me--I'd given up mounting the Perfect Powder Measure on a press.

follow JDGray's advice--get a (Deluxe) Auto Disk.

Jim H.

karnaaj
November 10, 2007, 11:58 PM
Absolutely no disrespect intended FieroCDSP. On the contrary I greatly appreciate your help. Sorry if I came across any other way. As far as I can tell the bushing you speak of just slides into the die rather than screws into it.

If I tighten down the knob that sits right on top of the plastic plate so that the plate doesn't move at all the movement of the charge arm is even more restricted. I'm at a loss.

FieroCDSP
November 11, 2007, 12:22 AM
have you tried loosening the tension on the arm's screw? The instructions say it should be at about 1lb, which is extremely light. Ideally you want it snug so the measure doesn't leak, but not so tight as to be too resistive. Aside from that, I honestly can't think of anything more that could cause it. Make sure the rod is alligned right. That's the only thing I can think of that would cause the rod to bind when the plate is tightened down. I'm probably going to have to blow the money and get one just so my brain will relax about this question.

karnaaj
November 11, 2007, 12:51 AM
Something in your first post had me thinking. I reversed the plastic plate so that it was upside down (at least in reference to the picture provided in the instructions) and now it works. The only thing is the rod can't lock in to that notch in the plate anymore. It doesn't seem to want to pop out but I'll keep an eye on it.

FieroCDSP
November 11, 2007, 09:52 AM
If you see a way to modify it to hold that z-bar in better, do so. Lee plastic parts are cheap to replace, and you wouldn't be the first person to change something. You might try a C-clip, like they use on rods that are holding a wheel or something they don't want to come off. You might have to cut a groove for it, but that can be done with some careful Dremel work.
I recently drilled out the 9mm bushing on my Loadmaster's Case feeder to feed 40cal through. After some initial fiddling, the thing has been working nicely, and certainly better than the original. It still feeds 9mm just fine also.

Some argue that the value presented by Lee's equipment is offset by the hassles involved. The people that seem to like Lee stuff the most are those who like to tinker with things, to know how they work and how to make them better.

karnaaj
November 11, 2007, 11:45 AM
I'll try loading some rounds today with the plastic plate reversed and see how that works. I have 1000 rds of .223 to load and I don't want to have to monkey around anymore than I have to. If it doesn't work out I'll just hook up my auto disk. Thanks for your help FIERO. Reading your posts got me thinking differently about the situation which is how I ended up flipping the plate.

If you enjoyed reading about "For those with the Lee Perfect measure" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!