Northern Virginia (Manassas) Dominion Arms?

July 17, 2003, 11:00 AM
I drive by the Dominion Arms gun shop every morning and evening during my commute. I keep meaning to stop in and have a look around, but I'm always either on my way to work[0] or trying to beat the Route 28 traffic home, so I never stop.

Has anyone been in there? Is it worth going in?

[0] and always late... :uhoh:

If you enjoyed reading about "Northern Virginia (Manassas) Dominion Arms?" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
July 17, 2003, 11:09 AM
Dominion Arms??? Don't know 'em, perhaps you mean Virginia Arms?

I'm familiar with Virginia Arms on Center St (Rt 28 just south of old town Manasas). Very nice shop - good selection of firearms, competitive prices, reasonable transfer and consignment fees, knowledgeable and nice folks (Bernie & Patrick) to deal with. Definitely worth a stop. (And they're in Pr Wm county - no dumb-a$$ 3 day wait like Fairfax)

Mike Irwin
July 17, 2003, 12:02 PM
Nah, Dominion Arms, not Virginia Arms.

Dominion is on the Fairfax side of 28, Virginia Arms on the far side past Manassas.

I've seen it, but I haven't stopped in. I was talking with someone who did stop in, I'll be darned if I can remember who, who said it was a nice store, but kind of shy on stock at the moment.

July 17, 2003, 12:40 PM
I'll look into it right now as I take 28 to PW Parkway. Give you a heads up when I get home.

July 17, 2003, 12:53 PM
well it looks like i found something to do after work. thanks for the heads up!

July 17, 2003, 01:05 PM
I've been in there. Guy is friendly. Has some surplus rifles at a price that doesn't seem completely like robbery, but I would be unwilling to pay. He only has a few handguns. Mostly taurus revolvers, jennings, raven, an occassional makarov and so forth. Has an odd assortment of things like boots and boxes. Its kind of like 1% of a gun show in there.

July 17, 2003, 01:11 PM
I've been there. What MJRW said is pretty much correct. He couldn't even get Remington SJHP's in 180gr for my 357 without going to Midway. :rolleyes:

Mike Irwin
July 17, 2003, 01:36 PM
That's right, I was talking to you two!

July 17, 2003, 02:25 PM
I am gonna have to second the gunshow comment. Stopped in a few weeks ago, and they did not have anything I was interested in. The gentleman that works there seems to be fairly nice, I just wasn't enamored with the prices or selection.

July 17, 2003, 08:39 PM
Where along 28 is it? I drove from 66 to PW Parkway and didnt see it. Enlighten me please :-)

July 17, 2003, 09:09 PM
It is right behind Yorkshire Restaurant, just north of Rugby Road

July 18, 2003, 10:09 AM
It's not particularly easy to see unless you're looking for it, because it's set back from the road a ways, and if you're paying proper attention to traffic, it never enters your field of vision. The only thing that made me notice it at all is that there's a big sign saying "GUNS" up high next to the road (along with other signs saying things like "La Bodega" and "Taxidermy").

July 18, 2003, 10:15 AM
Ooops, my bad. Idid a websearch on "Dominion Arms" and found Old Dominion Arms, turns out to be a guy that builds replica flintlocks, didn't bother with the yellow pages:scrutiny:

Oh, well, another gun store to explore:)

July 18, 2003, 10:33 AM
A new gunstore is always a good thing. And hey, you might find something you couldn't find anywhere else. For me though, I'd rather go to Virginia Arms. It's much closer (about 5 minutes from my house) and has a better selection of what I'm interested in.

July 18, 2003, 10:34 AM
Since a bunch of Virginians have already congregated here, lemme ask ya'll a question... anybody know of any ranges in the Winchester/Manassas/Front Royal area? I can only think of one, and they require a certified instructor be with you to use it (last time I asked anyway). Any ranges I missed? Something closer than Clark Bros. would be nice.

July 18, 2003, 10:51 AM
your best bet in northern VA is to join the Walton League
or road trip to the AGC range near Baltimore MD

you would think a fine state like VA would have a nice public outdoor range

heck, up in PA, the state runs nice ranges

July 18, 2003, 10:59 AM
If you're in Manassas, you're only 20minutes or so from the NRA range. That is the best indoor range period.

we have National Forest ranges in Va, but none near NoVa that I'm aware of. The only near New Castle (SW VA) is pretty nice.

July 18, 2003, 11:15 AM
RE: VA Arms - The guys there are great - i do all my transfers through them, 20bucks per transfer. Have not been to Dominion.

RE places to shoot, I've been to West Side and Hite Hallow with a bunch of GT and ARFCOM guys. A little out of the way but at least you can pretty much do what you want within reason (no tannerite). Check the link below.

Scroll down to find link (

Mike Irwin
July 18, 2003, 11:57 AM
"if you're paying proper attention to traffic, it never enters your field of vision."

Oops, Now I know how I saw it in the first place!

July 18, 2003, 12:19 PM
Lol. I saw it because I was sitting still in the long narrow parking lot Rt28 can become at times. :banghead: I had plenty of time to contemplate the new gunshop.

July 18, 2003, 01:10 PM
Thanks for the replies. We have a 4H with a range nearby, but as I stated, they said I had to have a certified instructor with me to use it. :(

July 18, 2003, 01:44 PM
A little over 1/2 hour north of Winchester is Sleepy Creek WMA in WV. There is an outdoor range there.

July 18, 2003, 04:01 PM
There's also the Fairfax Rod & Gun Club ( in Manassas too. The only catch is that you need to be a member or a guest to shoot here. It took awhile, but I finally got my membership.

If you enjoyed reading about "Northern Virginia (Manassas) Dominion Arms?" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!