I want to make BIG FIRE, need recipe

PDA

HighVelocity
November 10, 2007, 09:04 PM
My local IDPA club is having a "low light" (aka pitch dark) match on Thursday and I want to make the biggest fireball possible (within safe specs) using my 10mm handloads. What I have to work with is 180gr Ranier plated hp's and either Bullseye, Clays or Unique powder. Since I have never used my 10mm in the dark before, I have no idea which will produce the biggest muzzle flash. If none of the powders I listed are good for this, what powder do you recommend?

Thanks,
Gary

If you enjoyed reading about "I want to make BIG FIRE, need recipe" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
pistolman1974
November 10, 2007, 09:07 PM
From what I've heard/heard alliant power pistol has a pretty large muzzle flash.

kart racer
November 10, 2007, 09:10 PM
Power pistol would be the choice and you might have found a new favorite for 10mm.

SlamFire1
November 10, 2007, 09:33 PM
Every ball powder I have used has had a greater muzzle blast that any other powder type.

I have shot in other calibers, Bullseye and Unique. Those are not fire ball powders.

zxcvbob
November 10, 2007, 10:03 PM
I don't shoot 10mm, but I think 10 grains of Blue Dot or 12.5 grains of 2400 ought to do it.

RecoilRob
November 10, 2007, 10:27 PM
Of the powders you list, I'd say that Unique would have the largest flash. But, I've shot many thousand 180grn 10MM's over 10.5grns of BlueDot and they make a pretty bright flash...even in broad daylight.

Looking at the loading manuals, AA7 takes more powder than BlueDot and might make even more flash.

Theatrics aside, why would you want to blind yourself at a night shoot?

HighVelocity
November 11, 2007, 10:24 AM
Theatrics aside, why would you want to blind yourself at a night shoot?

I've shot quite a few night matches and big muzzle flash has never affected my shooting. In the past I've shot a 357mag snub, 357 sig and compact 45, all with full power defensive ammo.
These are just local matches, no trophy's, low round count and the targets are no more then 15 yards away.

I'm in it for the fun. The closer my ammo can get to artillery shells, the better. :evil:

SDC
November 11, 2007, 10:38 AM
Generally, those powders with the slowest burning rates have the worst muzzle flashes, and going by this chart ( http://www.reloadbench.com/burn.html ), Blue Dot should fit your bill. My manuals show several loads for 180-grain bullets with this powder.

RB98SS
November 12, 2007, 12:18 PM
Blue Dot flashes waaaay more than 2400 in my .44 Can you use H110 in 10mm? That's the best.

only1asterisk
November 12, 2007, 01:07 PM
Power Pistol would be my first choice.

David

Floppy_D
November 12, 2007, 01:14 PM
Nice link, SDC. Good site.

trueblue1776
November 12, 2007, 01:38 PM
Drop down to 135gr and use a magnum shotgun powder. :D

EBRDude
November 12, 2007, 06:00 PM
I shot my 10mm last weekend with 11gr Blue Dot over 155gr GDHP in Starline cases, and the fireball was about 12" in daylight.
I have yet to shoot one at night.
AA#9 did not flash that I could see with even larger powder amounts.
Never used Power Pistol, as no one carries it locally.

bpisler
November 14, 2007, 04:33 AM
I'am surprised by the amount of flash
i see from 7 grains of titegroup when
loaded with a 125gr 357magnum.But i
can feel the heat from 18 grains of
H-110 with the same bullet.

sublimaze41
November 14, 2007, 07:23 PM
I like to shoot Blue Dot out of my .357 and it smokes and flashes a bunch!

Steve Koski
November 14, 2007, 07:23 PM
Blue Dot would be my first choice for flash. (outside of 500 Mag loads, which I fired at a nigh match once)

CZ223
November 16, 2007, 09:27 AM
hands down for smokeless powders. But why not have a little fun and load some up with some FFg Black powder, the real thing not a sub. Just fill the case up about an eigth of an inch from the top and stuff that baby right down there. You fire about ten rounds of that and it should get some real attention.:D Trust me you won't come close to the pressures you are used to so it will be safe. Bring a little windex with vinigar with you and a couple patches to run down the bore and wipe the gun down. You can shoot your other loads after this and just clean the gun the way you normally would and wipe with a little oil at the bare minimum. Yes, I would do it.:evil::evil:

langenc
November 16, 2007, 03:50 PM
Flash will be the same night/day but way more noticible at NIGHT..

Hope you and other shooters are SAFE// Safety FIRST-theatrics LAST.

zxcvbob
November 16, 2007, 03:55 PM
Will black powder cycle the action of a automatic with strong springs?

(I just may have to find out in my 9mm, using FFF.) ;)

Wil Terry
November 16, 2007, 04:24 PM
You have not thought this through far enough !!!!
You are in for a BIG surprise but I will NOT spoil it for you.

HighVelocity
November 16, 2007, 07:33 PM
Thanks for all the tips. I did not have a chance to buy blue dot and load up any 10mm before last night. Maybe next time...

brentn
November 16, 2007, 07:41 PM
Bob, I would love to see that hahaha. Considering that my BP pistol has virtually no recoil, i would 'assume' that a 9mm load of fffg would not cycle the action lol. But it would be interesting to see the folks at the range and their faces when you do shoot a round :D

jr_roosa
November 16, 2007, 08:40 PM
I'm trying to think of the way to best communicate a really bad idea that I have in my head without somebody's lawyer coming to knock on my door with a bill for a long stay in the burn unit, lost wages, pain-and-suffering, and a new pistol. My recommendation is that nobody should use anything but commercial ammunition if they don't want to get hurt.

Anyway, after you read this article, what bad ideas do you think of?

http://chemistry.about.com/library/weekly/aa062701a.htm

-J.

IMtheNRA
November 17, 2007, 02:38 AM
Black powder? Really? :confused:

I think BP is known for it's nasty fouling. Would the gun get very, very dirty quickly?

Just for fun, are there any safe loads published for .357mag, .44mag, or 500S&W and jacketed/plated bullets?

ArchAngelCD
November 17, 2007, 03:56 AM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Hodgdon Longshot yet. Most of the other powders mentioned are good powders but not really Flamethrowers. Someone mentioned H110 and if it were recommended for the 10mm that would be my choice but it's not. Longshot is just a little faster than H110 and will give you the Flamethrower you are looking for. The added benefit is, you will make easily power and it's also accurate. I load 9mm and .38 Special +P rounds with Longshot.

jungleroy
November 17, 2007, 04:21 AM
I use bluedot in several 10mm loads and it is a site to behold.
I have not used it for a night shoot, but about dusk shooting at Nutria and I had spots in my vision for a while.
May fortune be with you in your endeavors.

Japle
November 17, 2007, 12:40 PM
Something like this?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/Japle/Flash2.jpg

You'll need a slow-burning pistol powder, because you want it to burn in front of the gun, not in the barrel. And the lightest bullet you can come up with to keep pressure down.

The load above was a case FULL of WW296 under a 90 gr 9mm JHP. Ruger Security Six .357.

If you look real close, you can see the bullet!!

Made you look!!

John
Cape Canaveral

Steve Koski
November 17, 2007, 01:31 PM
You turkey!!!

CZ223
November 17, 2007, 02:05 PM
Having shot a 357 mag using Blue dot, in low light conditions the flash is more brilliant, sort of blue/white like those annoying new headlights.:D

Regarding loading Bp in the 10mm, I do believe that it would cycle the action though probably not as rapidly as normal.

Yes, it is dirty but most Semi autos are so easy to clean that it would take 5 minutes or less to clean. If you only fired a mag or two I do not think you would have any problems.

On a related note, a friend of mine once traded an inexpensive Sharps reproduction rifle for a pre-ban Colt Ar-15 and, I believe that it was a national match to boot. The other fella wanted that $500 dollar rifle so bad that he traded even up. My buddy felt sooooo guilty about the deal that he offered it up as a sacrifice to "the Blackpowder Gods".:D:D He loaded up and fired two full 30 round mags of 223 with Black Powder. I was not there so I do not know wether it jammed or not but, I suspect that it did. He said that the look of horror:what::what: on the faces of the people watching him do this was well worth the thorough cleaning that he had to give it afterword.:evil::evil:

As I sit here typing this, I am becoming fully convinced that this might just put a smile on my face.:D I think I will load up some 40 S&W and some 357 sig with BP.:evil::evil: I will probably switch my 357 barrel over to the my 40 frame after firing the the 40 so I will only have to clean one frame. If I do it I will try to get pics. :D

If you enjoyed reading about "I want to make BIG FIRE, need recipe" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!