K Frame Question

PDA

LubeckTech
November 12, 2007, 02:08 AM
What should the cylinder gap spacing be for S&W models 19 and 15??

If you enjoyed reading about "K Frame Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Old Fuff
November 12, 2007, 09:32 AM
.003" (min.) and .010" (max.). Older revolvers, made to shoot soft lead bullets, tend to run toward the high side. I have one M&P (pre-model 10) that's .011" and shoots fine.

While the gap isn't all that important so long as the revolver isn't spitting lead, cylinder end-shake can be. End-shake is back and forth movement of the cylinder, as opposed to rotational movement.

LubeckTech
November 12, 2007, 10:52 AM
Thanks Fuff,

I've got a couple of k frame project guns that shoot accurately and need refinishing but have excessive end shake - no lead shaving or gas cutting but there is some cylinder binding and there is a spacing problem (too close) which can be seen by looking thru the side. Midway has some bearings and spacers that I believe will solve the problem, if not I'll probably have a gunsmith fit a bushing into the end of the cylinder. Rotational play seems about the same as my other smiths (29, 686 and 10) which are good shooters with no problems.

Old Fuff
November 12, 2007, 01:23 PM
Before you use the bearings you need to be sure the end of the yoke barrel is square. Otherwise it won't be long before the problem comes back. Brownells (www.brownells.com) sell a cutter for this purpose and a reamer to correct I.D. problems inside the yoke barrel. After the yoke is fixed determine how many bearings you are going to need, and seat the yoke into the cylinder with a rap with a plastic-headed mallet.

As you can see, there is more to this then simply dropping a bearing or two inside the cylinder... :uhoh:

If you enjoyed reading about "K Frame Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!