November 12, 2007, 04:04 PM
this forwarded to me via. e-mail by my FFL buddy.....:eek::eek::eek:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Sighting in your expensive new deer rifle

1. Shiny new, high-powered deer rifle.............. $1200.00

2. Quality, high-powered scope........................ $ 550.00

3. Bore sighting device................ ..................... $ 140.00

4. Hospital Visit............................................... $ 4, 893.00

5. Forgetting to remove the bore sighting device prior to shooting?
OUCH!

If you enjoyed reading about "Kaboom!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NVMM
November 12, 2007, 04:08 PM
WOW! I don't know what to say. OUCH!
Hope your friend is recovering.

ReloaderFred
November 12, 2007, 04:18 PM
That one's been traveling the internet for about a year now. You don't see very many barrels split into four equal parts like that. The guy who actually fired the shot did get hurt and had to be treated at the hospital. He was lucky.

Hope this helps.

Fred

hapi
November 12, 2007, 05:04 PM
hope he is ok and has no longterm issues.

Walkalong
November 12, 2007, 05:09 PM
A friend at work bought an 30:06 last year from Walmart. He brought it home, mounted a scope and shot it, once. Barrel spilt in two, not four like this guys. He said he almost S*** himself. I asked him if he had checked the bore first. Nothing buy a dumb look and a ...n.n.n.no! :uhoh:

Good news is he was not hurt and they gave him a new rifle. :)

Eagle103
November 12, 2007, 05:18 PM
I could see the barrel rupturing and peeling back a bit but to have the end of the barrel move that far out is unbelievable.

JDGray
November 12, 2007, 06:46 PM
I only seen barrels do that on cartoons:eek: Could have done without the bloody head shot:D

Eric F
November 12, 2007, 07:36 PM
you know I got this email about a year or so ago and soon after a buddy of mine found the same thing on a web site that debunked internet rumors. This was on there. It said the bloody head thing was a pic from a car wreck had the suposed resource posted also and somthing about the blood and brusing being all over this persons face and the bolt still being in the gun and so on. Then went on to say the rifle was a fake pic and somthing along the lines of the barrel would have split and torn along the rifeling for(insert physics that I can not remember) So basicaly stated the whole thing was a fake and had resources to back it up. I would sure rather this be a fake than know some one almost got killed. Any way I cannot find this site any more I emailed my friend to see if he knew where it is.

Hawk
November 12, 2007, 07:42 PM
If I were named king of the world for a day, I'd require background checks before anyone could be issued a "forward" button for their email client.

http://www.thegunzone.com/kablooey2.html

No injuries.

Apparently Mythbusters pulled a "plausible" but couldn't duplicate the extent.
http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=6311

ReloaderFred
November 12, 2007, 09:15 PM
I saw the Mythbusters episode, and they didn't replicate the same incident. They were trying to get a blown barrel with a shotgun, like Elmer Fudd did in the comics. They finally bulged the barrel of the shotgun by plugging it with mud.

Hope this helps.

Fred

scrat
November 12, 2007, 10:13 PM
yep i think i even posted that picture a year ago

xilch
November 13, 2007, 12:00 AM
This happened at Clark Rifles in Brush Prairie, WA. It was September 28th, 2006 (hunter sight in days) as I recall, because I was in the next lane when this rifle blew up. My friend took the pictures and that's his hand holding the bore sighter. No one got hurt, except the guys ego, the rifle was rebarreled later on.

Here is the link to my friends website where he has high res pictures posted that he took of it.

http://jeffersonian.name/blog0609.html

The pictures and story are about 2/3 down the page.

Roccobro
November 13, 2007, 12:33 AM
Sure is nice to get some real facts out in the open sometimes.

Thanks Xilch for chiming in.

Justin

SSN Vet
November 13, 2007, 09:24 AM
Well I certainly would never post info that I knew to be (or suspected was) bogus. And I'm usually pretty skeptical about EVERYTHING I read on the inter-net .... and I rarely, rarely forward anything. I should have checked this out on Scopes myself, but in this case I trusted the source. Sounds like it was a real incident, embelished with a car crash victim.

I had never seen it and didn't know if it was recent or not.....and...I obviously don't have any first hand knowledge of the event or people involved.

There's the disclaimer I should have included in my origonal post.

back to the subject of the post......:what: :eek: :what: :eek:

No one I've showed this to has ever seen it before and I think these type of "shock and awe" photo's (if credible) are great "training aides". Kind of like the ol' lessons learned binders we used 'back in the day'.

Thanks to whoever took the photos and origonally shared them, as I KNOW that having the "experience" of seeing them, I'll never make the same mistake.

SilentArmy
November 13, 2007, 05:48 PM
There is a reason that Laser Boresight device is anodized RED!!! There is about 5 rifles on the wall of a Hunters ed center in the town I grew up in that look quite similar to that! YES, it can and does happen!

If you enjoyed reading about "Kaboom!!!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!