Hunting with a single shot 410

PDA

Hooptie
November 13, 2007, 04:43 PM
Am I nuts? I love the challenge of single action revolvers and bolt action rifles. But am I nuts to pick up an H&R survivor with a 20" barrel and adjustable choke? My main reason for the H&R is the fact that I can run .45 ammo out of it too.

I've done quail with a single shot 20 gauge with okay success, and I love a challenge...

If you enjoyed reading about "Hunting with a single shot 410" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hooptie
November 13, 2007, 05:13 PM
another question. How viable is the .45 for a medium sized game round? Coyotes? Bobcats? possible deer? Turkey?

I know the 410 will work for smaller birds though.

bear with me, I haven't had a shotgun in close to 10 years.

theCZ
November 13, 2007, 08:35 PM
I'd choose a 28gage over a 410. 28 has a little more shot, but patterns MUCH better than most 410s. 28s have about the same recoil, and the ammo is a little cheaper. I mention this because you say you have not shotgunned in a decade or so. I'm not sure how enthusiastic about hunting a difficult 410 would make you...

On the other hand, they are VERY affordable, so why not?

Oldnamvet
November 13, 2007, 10:00 PM
Do they tell you that you can run .45 ammo through it?? Being a smoothbore, it would have very poor accuracy with .45. The .410/.45 barrel for the Contender pistol is bored for the .45 (with rifling) and has a special choke tube that you add when shooting .410. The chamber was slightly larger than the usual .410. Once I shot .410 shells in that, they would not fit in my single shot .410 without multiple resizings of the brass. The .45 Colt was not that accurate in the barrel due in part to the large jump in the chamber before you hit the rifling.

Hooptie
November 14, 2007, 09:22 AM
thats the thing, it sounds like its an unchoked .410....which sounds useless outside of about 20 yards. And its rifled, so no steel shot, at least thats how I read it.

I'd like to do a pump, but all the 20 gauges have a 24/6+ barrel. I'd love to stay 20 gauge and around 22" barrel, short enough for HD, long enough for a field gun.

enfield
November 14, 2007, 09:37 AM
Buy a 20 gauge pump and have a gunsmith shorten the barrel? I had my Ithaca shortened and a polychoke installed.

OTOH, 18 1/2 inch 12 gauge guns are common. The IC choke is good for a lot of hunting situations.

Dave McCracken
November 14, 2007, 09:45 AM
Hooptie, The Youth Model 870 Express comes with a 21" Remchoked barrel. In 20 gauge, it sounds very close to what you want.

Hooptie
November 14, 2007, 09:58 AM
I thought about that, there was a nice camo CD pump 20 gauge youth to look at, but being 6'3", what other proportions are changed on the gun besides barrel length?

As for barrel shortening, I also thought about buying a shorter barrel to accompany a 24 or 26"

Onmilo
November 17, 2007, 12:58 PM
The Survivor .45/.410 is actually a rifled barrel that is chambered to allow the use of .410 bore shotgun shells.

As with all guns of multi use actual performance is mediocre with either cartridge.

thebaldguy
November 17, 2007, 11:18 PM
A single shot .410 was the first hunting shotgun for a lot of people.

12Bravo20
November 17, 2007, 11:43 PM
A single shot .410 was the first hunting shotgun for a lot of people.

Yes it was and I still hunt small game with a .410. I have a H&R single shot, Mossberg 500 and a Turkish O/U all in .410. I use .410 for squirrels, rabbits, quail, and dove.

XD_fan
November 18, 2007, 12:19 AM
I killed a lot of quail with my single shot .410 when I was a kid. Just remember its not a reach out there and touch someone kinda' gauge.

CajunBass
November 18, 2007, 06:39 AM
Since you asked about a 410 and not a 20 or a 28 ga, I'll just say that I know at least a couple of kids who killed their first whitetail with a single shot, 410. Who knows how many squirrels and rabbits have fallen in front of 'em.

For a 410 I wouldn't bother with the adjustable choke though. Just go with a full choke. You don't have a lot of shot to work with in the first place.

goon
November 18, 2007, 12:29 PM
My first shotgun was a .410. It is really handy and great for closer shots at small game. I still have it eventhough I don't really hunt anymore and I still use it to introduce new shooters to centerfires. But if you are worried about productivity, you'd be better off to carry a 12 gauge on the hunt.

Being able to shoot .45LC out of the survivor might be useful though. IIRC, you won't be using just a smooth bore because I think the survivor uses the same choke that a T/C .410/45 barrel uses. Check and see if the barrel is rifled. I think the way it works is that you start out with a rifled .45LC barrel that has a chamber long enough for a .410 shell. To shoot the .410, you put a choke in that stops the wadding from spinning (from the rifling) when it leaves the barrel.
I have no idea how well the system worked but like I said, I think T/C used it for a long time and you usually don't hear complaints about those guns.

Oohrah
November 22, 2007, 01:59 AM
I have the Contender with the 45 LC/.410. Please note without
the screw on choke when using the shot shell, the pattern sucks.
That device kind of stops the twist on the shot collum and
squeezes the collum down to a tight group of shot coming out
the barrel. Suggest using shells with the shot cup or you will
cleaning out lead from the rifleling. I have noticed very tight
patterns at least up to fifty feet totally covers a pop can, In
fact tighter than a single shot older shot gun that I have. Be
a little leary of using this combination in a long gun unless marked
If it is a 44LC with a rifle bore, you will not be satisfied with the
patterns, if it is chambered where a 410 will fit it. If a 410 smooth
bore shot gun, DO NOT FIRE A 45 LC IN IT, UNLESS MARKED TO DO SO.
THERE ARE MUCH HIGHER PRESSURES WITH the handgun cartridges.:D

plumberroy
November 22, 2007, 10:47 AM
How come all most every time there is a question/thread on a single shot shot some one says you don't want that, get a pump? Our fore fathers made it using flintlocks, the pilgims brought matchlocks with them so I don't feel to handicaped with a modern single shot. I have a brand new 870 pump setting on the rack, but I pick up a put together n.e.f. 28 ga. s.s. most of the time when I go to the woods.
Roy

scout26
November 22, 2007, 11:24 AM
A single shot .410 with a full choke is great for small game/bird hunting.

If you're also looking for something for HD, then a 12 or 20 ga pump with a 18.5" barrel is better choice. Mossberg has both a .410 and 20 ga Bantam model with a 22' barrel that would be ideal for your purposes.

http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=22&section=products

Remington also offers a youth model in 20 ga only.
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/youth/model_870_express.asp

adkpete
November 24, 2007, 12:29 PM
40 years ago my Dad started me hunting with his Model 37 Winchester in .410. It is also the shotgun my son started on.

Big Daddy K
November 24, 2007, 08:22 PM
I love the 410 and single shot shotguns.
I have a NEF and a Spartin 410 as well as a Mossy 500 410.

Just picked up an old H&R youth 20 in mint condition.

Rabbits, Squirrels etc. 410 is a good around the house chore gun for us. skunks possums armidillos. Safer than a 22 and easier to hit with at night.

410 supporter
January 5, 2008, 11:52 PM
Has anyone tried out the HBBS 410? From what I see there would not be much challenge in game getting even tho it is a single shot.

Bud Tugly
January 6, 2008, 01:44 AM
I have 2 single-shot .410's and love the challenge of hunting with them. Mine have taken a lot of rabbits, grouse, a squirrels over the years.

The Survivor might be fun to play around with, but I doubt if it would pattern .410 well or shoot the .45 accurately. If you want something extremely compact and versatile, why not go with something like this instead:

http://www.rossiusa.com/products/product-details.cfm?model=S20-243YMB&category=MATCHEDPAIR

Big Boomer
January 6, 2008, 03:09 AM
my 410 was my first shotty and has taken more game than any of my others combined. I have been out bird hunting plenty with guy with 20's and 12's auto's and pumps.

I usually take more game than anyone with that single shot. For small birds and rabbits they are awesome!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/DemonBladeMaster/Emoticons/fight_shotgun.gif

If you enjoyed reading about "Hunting with a single shot 410" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!