Procedure for firearms on Intl flights

PDA

Smiley
January 10, 2003, 02:11 AM
Does anyone know a god procedure for transporting firearms on international flights?

My brother is going to Norway to live for a little while and wants to bring his savage for hunting. He checked and would be legal in Norway. i am curious what he will have to do before, during, and after the flight?

Would it be easier to ship the rifle?

If you enjoyed reading about "Procedure for firearms on Intl flights" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NonServiam
January 10, 2003, 09:14 AM
I don't really have an answer to the transport problem, but I have a few tips on making sure that your brother will actually get to bring his rifle into the country. You/he probably knows all this, but just to make sure ...

First of all, the laws here are based on the assumption that guns are registered and licenced. The import regulations therefore state that you must present the customs officer with a valid licence from your country on entry. Make sure that your brother is equipped witha suitable document from the US that will satisfy Norwegian customs. Talk to the US Embassy about this.

He is then asked to sign a document containing the following info to fill in:

Name, address, type of gun, caliber, model/make, serial number, amount of ammunition he will be bringing with you and lastly what and where the gun will be used in Norway. This document will function as a temporary gun licence for two months, and must always be carried when traveling with the gun. It will enable him to buy ammunition.
If he is staying for more than two months, there might be other rules applied. Check this with the embassy to make sure.

If he plans to hunt in Norway, he must present a valid hunting permit from the US. Again, if he doesn't need such a permit to hunt where you live, make sure that you get a document that will satisfy the Norwegian
hunting registry. It must be sent to them by mail or fax, their web page is here: http://www.brreg.no/english/registers/hunter/
There are also different rules to hunt "big game" from "small game" here in Norway, make sure that he can document that he is allowed to hunt "big game" in the US. If he cannot document this, he might have to take a "big game shooting proficiency test". It is basically shooting a elk-target at 100m. Any decent rifle shooter will make it without problems.

Also, while in Norway, remember that in the rural areas, noone will lift an eye to the sight of a rifle, but while in urban areas you are advised to keep it somewhat out of sight. Just like in the US, I would presume ...

Hope your brother enoys his stay in Norway! It has been a bit cold (-15C) all over the country for a couple of weeks now, but it is really beautiful outside :)

Don't let all the hoops discourage him from bringing his rifle. There are plenty of good hunting oportunities here, and depending on where he stays, a lot of decent ranges. Access to these might require that he knows someone "on the inside" though ...

If you enjoyed reading about "Procedure for firearms on Intl flights" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!