Crown City Arms anyone ?

PDA

triguy
November 14, 2007, 04:40 PM
Anyone with any information on the 1911 manufactured by Crown City Arms in Cortland, NY ? Over the past several years I've picked up a parts gun with a CCA frame and a complete CCA. Both are good shooters and bring a smile to my face just as much as my more expensive Springfield. Thanks, triguy

If you enjoyed reading about "Crown City Arms anyone ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SDC
November 14, 2007, 05:25 PM
AFAIK, they were only in business for a few years during the mid-70s until the early 80s, but they made at least 5 or 6 different versions of the Commander and GM, including a stainless version called the Condor.

dfariswheel
November 14, 2007, 08:42 PM
Crown City was only in business for a few years, and produced early cast steel and stainless steel 1911 pistols in Government and Commander lengths.

They named their guns after birds, (Hawk, Falcon, Condor, etc).

The quality of their cast slides and frames was not too good, as were almost all of the early cast 1911s.
The castings tended to have voids and "slumped' areas where the details failed to fill out properly and were often pretty porous.
Dimensionally, they were pretty bad, with slide and frame rails varying in width, thickness, and height, and with pin holes mis-located.

It was these early stainless 1911 slides and frames that galled badly, and still have people asking if modern stainless 1911s will gall.
Colt was the first to solve this problem by making the slide and frame from different stainless alloys and with different heat treating for slide and frame.

Back then if you just HAD to have a stainless steel 1911, companies like Crown City, Vega, AMT, Essex, and others were the only game in town, but the guns either as parts to assemble or as finished guns, just left a whole lot to be desired.

Jim K
November 14, 2007, 08:52 PM
I seem to recall some connection between Crown City and Para-Ordnance. Anyone know about that, or is the old mind playing tricks?

Jim

triguy
November 14, 2007, 10:43 PM
Everyone, thank you very much for the intel. I've gotten bits over the past year about Crown City but nothing like what you all provided me. dfariswheel, you are right on about the bird names. My complete Crown City is an "Eagle". This one has been worked on a bit and fitted with a match barrel and bushing. I put in new Wolff springs and it's not a bad shooter. Thanks !

Jim Watson
November 15, 2007, 12:41 AM
I recall that during the 1980s trials leading up to adoption of the 9mm Beretta, Crown City sent in an unsolicited proposal for what they reasonably called a 1911A2. It had bigger sights, beavertail grip safety, ambidextrous thumb safety, beveled magazine well, and cast-in frontstrap checkering. They also recommended ammunition for it, a 185 gr FMJ so as to flatten trajectory and reduce recoil for small-statured personnel. Of course the DoD didn't care, they were wedded to the 9mm for NATO standardization and to Beretta for payback on bases in Italy.

triguy
November 15, 2007, 03:30 PM
Jim,
Thank you ! The info gained in the past day outweighs all in the past year.

Thanks
triguy in NY

If you enjoyed reading about "Crown City Arms anyone ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!