"Thunderbolt and Lightfoot"

PDA

Autolite
July 17, 2003, 10:13 PM
This is one of my all time favourite movies. I just watched it again for the umpthteen time and it I still get a kick from it. I don't know much about the Korean war and I have a couple of questions for someone who knows.

What was the type of gun used to blow the vault in the movie? It seemed to be capable of alot of damage for a 20mm. Also, George Kennedy's character says something like "Johnie got one tank to a pop"! He implies that Clint Eastwood's character could disable an enemy tank, during the Korean war, with one shot from this same 20mm canon. This sounds like a pretty bold claim. Does anyone know if there actually was a 20mm round/gun combination used in Korea that could actually take out a tank with one shot? Or is this all just "Hollywood". Inquiring minds need to know ...

If you enjoyed reading about ""Thunderbolt and Lightfoot"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JDSlack
July 17, 2003, 10:17 PM
IIRC, (and its been years since I saw the movie) that was a Finnish Lathi. I don't know if they were used in Korea, on either side. But I could be wrong.

rock jock
July 18, 2003, 01:22 AM
That movie has one of the single funniest scenes of 20th Century filmdom: just think rabbits.

Fed168
July 18, 2003, 01:39 AM
And pistachio ice cream. Great flick, but I can''t recall what the cannon was. Never could get a good look at it.

The suppressor on that carbine was awfully loud, though.

Ol' Badger
July 18, 2003, 12:31 PM
Do you remember who the Rabbit guy was? Think Ned Beatty on a stump.

45King
July 18, 2003, 01:28 PM
It's been a while since I've seen it too, but for some reason, "105mm recoiless rifle" seems to stick in my mind....

Ol' Badger
July 18, 2003, 01:39 PM
No no it was that thar 20mm gun you see on old films of Sailors shooting them. The ones with the two curved shoulder things.

Fed168
July 18, 2003, 01:41 PM
Orelikon cannon? The rabbit guy was Bill Mckinney.

Roadrunner
July 18, 2003, 03:09 PM
It was a 20mm Oerlikon cannon and for $24,500 you can get your very own from GunsAmerica. (http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976317890.htm)

http://www.netmarine.net/armes/20oerlikon/photo03.jpg

John Ross
July 18, 2003, 03:33 PM
It was sort of an Oerlikon.

Kent Lomont explained to me years ago that they a bunch of different cannons but couldn't get any 20mm to cycle with blanks, so they came up with some kludge involving some part of on Oerlikon and something else and used some kind of explosive to simulate the firing.

Sorry about being hazy on the details but it's been 25 years.

JR

CWL
July 18, 2003, 03:40 PM
20mm wouldn't have been able to kill Russian T34 tanks recycled for Korea.

Don't think 20mm could open up a bank vault, I just think that they used one because it was small enough for the actors to drag around.

If you enjoyed reading about ""Thunderbolt and Lightfoot"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!