Winchester 70 Sear Pin Question

PDA

Flynt
November 15, 2007, 08:59 AM
I need some advice on removing the sear pin from a post 64 Model 70 (One of the Wal-Mart bargains). Last night I tried tapping it out with a brass punch, and it wouldn't budget -- bent the punch! I'm soaking in Kroil. Any other suggestions? (Gun is clean and like new, no corrosion, caked on cosmoline, etc.) Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester 70 Sear Pin Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
November 15, 2007, 02:08 PM
Buy a nail-set punch at any hardware store.

It is tapered and is much stronger then any brass punch, and much stronger then even a straight steel punch that is small enough to go through the hole.

You only use it to get the pin broke loose. After that, you will need a small steel pin punch to complete the job.

Be sure and support the action on something hard and heavy (like a vice or steel bench block) so all the force is applied to the pin, not just moving the whole action.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/KTOG/1224.gif
rcmodel

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester 70 Sear Pin Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!