Hi-Visibility Sights, almost for free

PDA

schmeky
November 15, 2007, 09:23 PM
I was thinking of sending my mildly modified 1911 Norinco .45 off to get some high visibility sights installed. I had an idea that I tried and thought I would share it with the forum. Please, don't laugh out to loud.

I found a pen with an internal white ink tube. This pen had been used a bit so the ink was about halfway down. I cut the plastic ink tube with a single edged razor blade into about 1/32" pieces. I then applied a little bit of epoxy to the 1/32" pieces and set them onto the rear sight using a pair of tweezers. I had already thoroughly degreased the rear sight blade.

After the epoxy set up overnight, I applied a dab of automotive touch-up paint I bought at Wal-Mart. The paint was white and seems to have some fine metallic in it, making the sights really pick up light.

I have fired a couple hundred full house .45's and the cheapo sights are still holding. I think I paid around $8.00 for the paint, everything else I already had. I am so pleased, I think I'll just keep them as is for now.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j235/schmeky/HPIM0382.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Hi-Visibility Sights, almost for free" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
renegade1alpha
November 15, 2007, 10:03 PM
Its not stupid if it works! I once made a recoil pad for my shotgun using a really thick shower shoe that I had cut and modified.

markmc753
November 15, 2007, 10:27 PM
Where does the Tabasco sauce go??

Seriously... nice work :)

DMK
November 15, 2007, 10:44 PM
I also use automotive touchup paint. I have a bottle of bright red that I use on my front sights. It dries very quick and even has a built in applicator brush.

Where does the Tabasco sauce go??I thought that too. Before reading the text, I thought this was going to be a mixed concoction of paint, epoxy and Tabasco. :p

schmeky
November 15, 2007, 11:25 PM
I thought the Tabasco would "spice" up the photo a bit :evil:

strat81
November 15, 2007, 11:29 PM
As Paris would say... "That's hot."

The Lone Haranguer
November 16, 2007, 12:34 AM
Is that habanero? ;)

Other than susceptibility to solvents, Wite-Out (or other correction fluid) seems like a good way to add dots, or fill in dots that someone blacked out. And it already comes with its own brush.

schmeky
November 16, 2007, 03:21 PM

Use it in my "hot" loads (couldn't resist it, sorry :neener:)

Walt Sherrill
November 16, 2007, 04:11 PM
Something that arguably works better is flourescent model paint. Testor's makes in in a number of shades. I find a mix of green and yellow is really bright in sunlight and moderately low light. You can do a different color up front, too. Cheap. Put a clear coat over it, if you like. The paint is fairly resistant to most solvents.

GigaBuist
November 16, 2007, 08:07 PM
Well, whaddya think he degreased the sights with? :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Hi-Visibility Sights, almost for free" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!