Removing bake on finishes

PDA

Curare
November 15, 2007, 09:57 PM
I have a P7M8 that I would like to carry in a humid environment, and I've read horror stories of easy rusting and rapid finish wear.

I'm interested in trying a polymer spray and bake finish. My concern is, that as it wears, I'll want to touch it up--and it will look horrible. I'll just want to respray it. Is the finish easily stripped with certain solvents without removing the underlying bluing?

Thanks,
Obessive Compulsive in Ohio

If you enjoyed reading about "Removing bake on finishes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim Watson
November 16, 2007, 12:13 AM
No.
A friend had a sprayed and heat cured coated gun that he wanted to start over on and could find nothing to touch it. And he works in a high tech industry chem lab and has access to solvents not sold in hardware stores.

highorder
November 16, 2007, 02:10 AM
many of the spray ons are epoxy paints. they will need to be abrasive blasted or tumbled off.

ACORN
November 17, 2007, 03:55 PM
IIRC the manufacturers of most of the spray on finishes recommend that you abrasive blast for maximum adhesion and durability. So there shouldn't be any original finish left on the firearm when it is sprayed the first time.

GeorgeR
November 17, 2007, 06:31 PM
I used to believe what Jim wrote, that they have to be taken off by blasting or sanding. I have found however, that airplane paint remover and/or MEK peels it right off. It's worked on Lauer (Sherwin Williams) Dura Coat, and Brownell's. However, if you're going to touch up a bake on finish you can usually clean it well then spray on the new coat over it. No need to strip. If you're starting with the bare metal a phosphatizing coat after the abrasive blasting makes all the difference in the world.

orionengnr
November 17, 2007, 07:52 PM
A lot of HK P7 owners seem to like the NP3 from Robar.

Go to www.parkcitiestactical.com, "The Cult of the P7" for lots of good input and knowledgeable, enthusiastic (spelled rabid) owners...

brickeyee
November 18, 2007, 05:25 PM
"...could find nothing to touch it."

MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) removes even epoxy.
You may need to gently heat it to speed things up.

It will even eat epoxy printed circuit boards and leave the copper and fiberglass behind.

When we need to remove epoxy potting compound to look at something into the MEK the item goes.

funnelcake
November 20, 2007, 10:17 PM
Acetone or MEK --basically a slower evaporating variant of Acetone.

Probably still have to bead blast to get the stuff outta everywhere.

If you enjoyed reading about "Removing bake on finishes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!