Bought a Lee, Should I have gotton a Dillon?

PDA

buenhec
November 16, 2007, 12:41 AM
Here I am chugging along at 150 rounds per hour of 45 cal on my Lee 4 hole progressive. I find out that the guys I shoot USPSA spit out up to 500 rounds per hour on their Dillon 550 which would have cost me about $150 more than my Lee.

Now I wonder, am I wasting countless hours reloading when I could be shooting? Also I am about to start reloading 223, my AR can really spit those out. Will this mean more uneccesary hours on my press?

Any thoughts on this?

If you enjoyed reading about "Bought a Lee, Should I have gotton a Dillon?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
3rdpig
November 16, 2007, 01:01 AM
I've got both. I've got a Lee Loadmaster (which after 2 years of ownership and roughly 20k rounds I think is a fantastic press for the money) and a Dillon 550. When I bought the 550 my intention was to buy a Lee classic cast turret to do my 5.56 loads on, but the 550 came along at such a great price I couldn't turn it down. I'm now doing all my bottleneck rifle cartridges on the Dillon and all my straight walled cartridges on the Lee.

The main idea behind this was the tall and narrow 5.56 cartridges just don't work well through the Loadmasters shell feeder and the military cases with the crimped primer pockets, even after swaging, tend to cause stoppages that are somewhat of a PITA to clear in the full progressive Loadmaster. So my idea was the turret press for the 5.56, but along came a Dillon 550 with a mess of accessories at a price that was too low to pass up.

Both work exceptionally well, but after several months of owning the Dillon I still like the Loadmaster as much as I always have and have no intentions of replacing it or stop using it. But the 550 is a great press for 5.56. But the Loadmaster would be too as long as you don't plan on using the case feeder and do a better job swaging the primer pockets in military cases than I seem to be able to do.

Steve C
November 16, 2007, 01:06 AM
If you see reloading as simply a method of putting together mass quantities of ammo cheaply then maybe you should have got the Dillon but I'd guess that any one putting out 500 rounds per hour has put a lot of time doing the process a lot slower to develop the "rhythm" for fast production. I'd also hazard a guess that they're not counting any time to load all the primer tubes and other things you need to do to keep that ammo machine going.

Personally I enjoy reloading, even on the single stage press where each round is assembled slowly with careful quality control where the finished product is equal to "premium" ammo vrs the crank-em-out as fast as you can as long as the rounds go bang most of the time. I have a Hornady LNL automatic and usually only get around a 100-150 rounds per hour if you count checking the charges and guaging the loaded rounds and replentishing primers, etc.

Chief-7700
November 16, 2007, 01:11 AM
Here I am chugging along at 150 rounds per hour of 45 cal on my Lee 4 hole progressive. I find out that the guys I shoot USPSA spit out up to 500 rounds per hour on their Dillon 550 which would have cost me about $150 more than my Lee.
At the range I shoot aroung 200 rounds of 230 gr TCJ .45APC per hour. However
I have a Dillon XL-650 and it takes me around 1 hour and 10 minutes to reload 1,000 rounds of .45 ACP.
Chief-7700

Mike Kerr
November 16, 2007, 02:52 AM
Funny but My Lee progressive is a five hole Loadmaster and I formerly owned Pro 1000's which are have three holes. I guess your four holer is a Classic Turret with auto advance and Lee's new priming system.

I currently own a Loadmaster, a 550, and a Lee three hole turret. The Loadmaster can be a valuable tool but when you factor in QC and time lost to repairs, adjustments etc. - it is effectively much slower than the 550 for most people. I know there are exceptions - but after loading well over 100k rounds - I have found the Dillon 550 is by far the superior setup for consistent, fast, steady, quantity, production of handgun calibers. With the 550 once you learn the ins and outs of the equipment, and build a steady rhythm and system, you really can acheive pretty impressive cyclic rate per hour.

Whether you actually want to work like a madman hour after hour to win the "Testerone braggin rights" at the next match remains to be seen but 500 rounds in one hour on the 550 is very achievable once you are experienced on the machine. If you are shooting much IDPA, IPSC, Steel or similar matches, you will find a 550/650 a great great time saver which will quickly repay your expenditure. If you need more speed add an electric case feeder.

On the other hand you have to consider the volume of rounds per week/month you need of a certain caliber. So don't sell your progressive turret for running off a few hundred rounds here and there of various calibers.
Keep the Lee because its pretty versatile and easy/cheap to change over for multiple calibers. Its an addictive hobby for most so just consider it the next step.

regards,

:):):)

Mike Kerr
November 16, 2007, 02:59 AM
buenhec wrote " Now I wonder, am I wasting countless hours reloading when I could be shooting? Also I am about to start reloading 223, my AR can really spit those out. Will this mean more uneccesary hours on my press?"

Yes Sir. Sad but true.

regards,

ArchAngelCD
November 16, 2007, 03:13 AM
I'm happy turning out 200 rounds an hour on my Lee Classic 4 Hole Turret Press.

dmftoy1
November 16, 2007, 05:08 AM
FWIW . .while I believe I could hit 500 per hour on a 550 I don't know if I'd be happy doing it. I tend to like a bit more QC and to me that would be too fast to check things the way I like. On a 650 500 per hour isn't too hard. Everyone has their own comfortlevel though.

Just my .02

Regards,
Dave

lil ski
November 16, 2007, 06:34 AM
I have a 550 now and I had a Lee pro 1000 in the past. I have been using the Dillon for about 10 years now and 500 to 600 rounds an hour is the norm. I had no problem with the lee I just wanted a little more speed in my set ups and cycle rate. I guess it's all about the speed how fast do you really need to go.

RustyFN
November 16, 2007, 07:27 AM
It sounds like you bought the Classic Turret. The Classic Turret isn't a progressive, that would be the Load Master which would get you your 500 rounds per hour. Dillon makes a great progressive loader, so does Hornady and RCBS.
Rusty

buenhec
November 16, 2007, 10:44 AM
What would be the speed on my Lee classic when reloading 223? I would only use 3 dies right instead of 4?

jmorris
November 16, 2007, 11:22 AM
I know one guy that shoots IDPA and reloads on a single stage; he’s got the time and chooses to spend his money in other places. It’s not difficult at all to have a set up that will crank out an easy 1500 rounds an hour. Not that I’ve ever reloaded that many at once but I load 500 in under 20 min. You’ll need a 650 with bullet and case feeders and the auto primer filler; it’ll take about 3.5min per 100. Most important don’t tell the wife what it cost. Seriously, how much is your time worth (not just $ but spending time with family etc), and is reloading therapy to you or another job you don’t like.

Mike Kerr
November 16, 2007, 11:44 AM
ArchAngelCD wrote:

" I'm happy turning out 200 rounds an hour on my Lee Classic 4 Hole Turret Press."

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Good. I have seen the on line video clips that show the 4 hole Turret in operation. IIRC it was on "Glock Talk". Then I saw the Lee clip on their site. Pretty impressive for the money.

If I was not already set up, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, I would seriously consider the Classic 4 Hole Turret. IMHO it darn sure fills a realistic market niche for the reloader who needs some volume in rounds per hour but is concerned about initial cost - or the reloader who knows they will have limited production needs for certain calibers.

regards,

Mike Kerr
November 16, 2007, 11:51 AM
jmorris wrote:

" I know one guy that shoots IDPA and reloads on a single stage; heís got the time and chooses to spend his money in other places. Itís not difficult at all to have a set up that will crank out an easy 1500 rounds an hour. Not that Iíve ever reloaded that many at once but I load 500 in under 20 min. Youíll need a 650 with bullet and case feeders and the auto primer filler; itíll take about 3.5min per 100. Most important donít tell the wife what it cost. Seriously, how much is your time worth (not just $ but spending time with family etc), and is reloading therapy to you or another job you donít like

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Well said.

regards,

pinkymingeo
November 16, 2007, 11:52 AM
You can't beat the Cast Turret if you have modest needs in multiple calibers. This time of year I shoot about 500rds per week, usually in 4 of the seven calibers I load. Changeovers are so quick with the turret that I can replenish my supply in an afternoon, no sweat. I've thought, from time to time, of going with a progressive but the numbers aren't there. The turret is a better tool for the job I need done.

SASS#23149
November 16, 2007, 01:36 PM
If you do the math,500 rounds per hour on 550b is highly unlikely.Not if they count primer loading for sure.
IMHO,it's too fast for saffety and qc both.

but,300 is easily do-able,which would double your production rate.

GaryL
November 16, 2007, 04:26 PM
If you do the math,500 rounds per hour on 550b is highly unlikely.Not if they count primer loading for sure.
IMHO,it's too fast for saffety and qc both.

but,300 is easily do-able,which would double your production rate.I think 500/hr is entirely possible, with certain calibers - some are a little easier and faster than others. 45acp is naturally a little faster for me than most other pistol calibers.

I did a timed run a while back, including (and starting with) loading primer tubes, visually checking every case after the powder drop, weeding out berdan primed cases (not sure how they got into my brass pile, but I do occasionally shoot some nice berdan primed Laupua I picked up years ago), and the obligatory interruption by wife. I wasn't worried about speed, just maintaining a steady pace where I felt comfortable with the process and QC'ing every round, and had no trouble making close to 350/hr doing 9mm.

I'm sure I could hit 450/hr doing the same thing, but then the fun may start going out of it, so if I get much faster it will be through experience and comfort rather than pushing every motion as fast as I can.

Eagle103
November 16, 2007, 05:43 PM
It sounds like you bought the Classic Turret. The Classic Turret isn't a progressive, that would be the Load Master which would get you your 500 rounds per hour.
I agree and if it is and you paid only $150 less than a Dillon you paid way too much. Something doesn't add up here.

RustyFN
November 16, 2007, 08:04 PM
I agree and if it is and you paid only $150 less than a Dillon you paid way too much. Something doesn't add up here.
I agree. By the time you get everything you need for the 550 you are looking at $250 to $300 more than a classic turret.
What would be the speed on my Lee classic when reloading 223? I would only use 3 dies right instead of 4?
I use four dies. Here is the way I load 223. I'm not saying my way is the best, it just works for me.
1: tumble the brass.
2: FL size and trim if needed.
3: prime the cases.
I will do this for a couple of hours here and there until I get 1,000 to 1,500 cases ready. Once the cases are ready all I have to do is charge the case, seat the bullet and then crimp. Once the case prep is done and I start loading I can load around 300 per hour. Loading pistol I can load around 200 per hour. Yes I am loading on a Classic Turret. The four dies I am using are
1: full length size die.
2: powder charging die.
3: bullet seater die.
4: factory crimp die.
I shoot IDPA, GSSF and a lot of local matches at the club I belong to and the classic turret has no problem keeping up with my needs. Spending five hours a week I can make 800 to 1,000 rounds. I have plenty of time to reload and am not in a hurry because I enjoy it and it is very relaxing for me. With the primimg system on the CT you won't have the priming problems that a lot of progressives have, Sideways primers, upside down primers and missing primers. I also mounted a LED light on my press and can see every powder charge before I set the bullet on so when my loading is done I am confident that my reloads are 100%. I hope this helps.
Rusty

Caimlas
November 17, 2007, 01:39 AM
My only question is: if you primarily intended to reload pistol, why did you buy a non-progressive omni/rifle press touted for being able to reload .50BMG?

It seems apparent to me that your primary criteria are 1) speedy reloading, 2) getting that speed economically. Given those criteria, I don't imagine the Lee - whichever one it is - does not provide you the value you'd wanted. I'd imagine finding a press which fits your criteria would be fairly simple, as most if not all major progressive presses advertise both their MSRP and their rounds-per-minute potential.

If you don't want the Classic Turret, and you didn't pay a high price, you could probably get most of your purchase price out of it with little effort. It's a popular, well made press that has a good price.

ArchAngelCD
November 17, 2007, 04:17 AM
Mike Kerr,
You're right, it is a great press for the money. The Lee Classic 4 Hole Turret Press turns out good ammo especially when you use the Lee FCD in the 4th hole. I get low SD when I run the rounds past a Chrono which aids in accuracy. Initial startup costs were low with that press setup. I bought the press for only $73 NIB and Lee Carbide Deluxe Die sets are only $31 each. Additional turrets cost only $8/9 each. (no reason to waste time reseting dies for that price) Add in a scale, Electronic Calipers, Safety Primer kit and the Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measure for an added $110/$120 and I was ready to produce ammo for under $225.00.

I'm know there are better presses available on the market and other reloaders prefer different company's dies but for the money, I'm very happy with this setup.

REMEMBER, I'm talking about the Classic Turret Press, not the "regular" Turret Press. The Classic model has a Cast Iron base and the ram is almost twice as thick. It's well worth the few extra dollars in cost!

bofe954
November 17, 2007, 09:14 PM
I had the newer model turret and was happy with it for every aspect but speed. In the full swing of USPSA I can easily shoot 400-600/week. I am actually pretty low volume compared to serious competitors. That's one weekday club match, a bigger weekend match and some practice.

To keep up with that I needed to reload 4-5 hours per week. I upgraded to a 550. I debated keeping the Lee but I put it on Ebay to help pay for the Dillon.

I still think the Lee is a good press and perfect for a hobbyist/hunter who shoots a lot of different calibers but not huge volume of any of them. It's easy to work up loads on and easy and cheap to swap calibers on. It just isn't a high volume progressive (neither is the 550 really, but it's a step up).

You might want to upgrade down the road. So what though, use the Lee. You'll still save a few bucks and learn a lot. Then sell it and get something else. Look at the Lock and Load.

I don't miss the priming system either...

RustyFN
November 17, 2007, 10:20 PM
bofe954 I was wondering what kind of volume you get with the 550. I have been offered a chance to try a 550 at a friends and a 650 at a different friends but haven't had the chance to yet. I am anxious to pull the handle and try them out.
Rusty

creekwalker
November 19, 2007, 05:34 PM
Heya Rusty,
Sorry for jumping in on this but I recently aquired a 550B and already had the LCCT. Insofar as production speed and volume hand's down the 550B wins, you have fewer handle pulls per loaded round also.

With that said I'd say I'm pleased with the 550B but I'm keeping the LCCT for load work ups and short run calibers and also just because I like it so much to.I haven't tried a 650 yet but hope to some time soon, what I like most about it is the auto indexing and ability to put a powder cop or a lock out die in it.

creekwalker

RustyFN
November 19, 2007, 07:45 PM
creekwalker thanks for the info. I have no doubt that the 550 wins in RPH. I was curious what the average person loads on a 550 at a comfortable pace. I hear a lot of people say that the CT is great for load development and when they need to go into mass production they go to the progressive. I would have to agree with them. My problem is I don't shoot enough tthat the CT can't handle it and don't have to go into mass production.:D This is a bad time of year at work and we don't get much time off. After the first of the year I'll have to go pull the handle on some friends Dillons.
Rusty

redneck2
November 19, 2007, 09:00 PM
I hear a lot of people say that the CT is great for load development and when they need to go into mass production they go to the progressive.
You guys make this WAY too complicated.

A turret is a 3 or 4 station press that holds one round

A 550 is a turret that holds 4 rounds

If I want to use my 550 like a turret, I can. If I want a round every stroke of the handle, I can.

If you want to develop loads, use the 550 like a single stage or turret. I just made up some loads for my .357 Herret this last week end for deer hunting. Loaded them one at a time with hand weighed charges. Nice thing about the 550 is the manual index so you can pick whatever stage you want.

Now I wonder, am I wasting countless hours reloading when I could be shooting? Also I am about to start reloading 223, my AR can really spit those out. Will this mean more uneccesary hours on my press?

Any thoughts on this?

Answer would be (a) yes, and (b) yes

I still don't understand why some guys think you automatically have to start on a single stage. Use your 550 like a single stage until you get comfortable, then move to progressive for pistol. I still load about all my rifle single stage on the 550. I knock out a BUNCH of 45's and 10mm's as a progressive loader.

GaryL
November 19, 2007, 11:25 PM
Loaded them one at a time with hand weighed charges. ... Use your 550 like a single stage until you get comfortable, then move to progressive for pistol. I still load about all my rifle single stage on the 550. I knock out a BUNCH of 45's and 10mm's as a progressive loader.I do exactly the same thing (one at a time - hand weighed) when I load my 30-06 hunting ammo vs production for shootin' ammo.

Bought a Lee, Should I have gotton a Dillon? Really, you have to answer that for yourself. You have a good press at a good price. If it meets your needs, then the answer is no. If it doesn't, then the answer is maybe - there are a number of good presses at different price points. I have a Dillon 550b, and I like it - it works well for me, but I might like a Lee, or a Hornady, or some other progressive style press just as well. Like many things mechanical, each press has its quirks, which are irritating to some and non issues to others. As much as some like to push one brand over another, when you cut through the BS, it often seems to come down to the little things that make the difference for most people. (Not unlike releationships with SOs).

I have no doubt that the 550 wins in RPH. I was curious what the average person loads on a 550 at a comfortable pace.Seriously, I think it will be in the 300-450 range, and depending somewhat on the caliber. When I did my hunting rounds, those were probably ~50/hr, hand weighing each powder charge. I setup the press to load a little light, did station 1 to size and prime a batch of 50, station 2 to charge a spare case with powder, dumped the powder on the scale and trickled in the last 0.2-0.3gr, and poured into a prepped case. After a quick visual inspection (a lighter works great ;) ) I fed them into station 2 and moved them on through to seat a bullet and factory crimp. That part goes really quick once you get the rhythm down.

darwin-t
November 21, 2007, 12:24 AM
I would be suspicious of the 500 rounds per hour on the Dillon. I'm not saying that it isn't possible, but they probably are talking about the time they are sitting there pulling the handle, not including filling primer tubes, etc.

I use a Loadmaster and chucked the case feeder and case inserter. I put the cases directly into the shellplate. I'm getting ready to make another video of me running rounds through it. I timed how long it took to load 500 rounds, but to tell you the truth I don't even remember how long it took. It seems like it was 70 or 80 minutes and this included filling the powder measure, primer trays, etc. I don't worry about it. Haste makes waste.

Unless you are spending way too much time loading the number of rounds you need, I wouldn't worry.

I just bought components for 2,000 rounds of .45ACP. I literally saved enough from this one run to pay for my press.

IMHO reloading is a balance between cost, and speed. A Dillon 1150 would be a lot faster than what you have, but would the extra money be worth it?

For me the breaking point was pulling a handle four times per round or once. I'm happy with my LM.

lil ski
November 21, 2007, 08:30 AM
I would be suspicious of the 500 rounds per hour on the Dillon. I'm not saying that it isn't possible, but they probably are talking about the time they are sitting there pulling the handle, not including filling primer tubes, etc.

500 rounds per hour is not that hard to do (I put all my loaded rounds into a big bin and not in small boxes it saves time). It takes practice you will not do that your first time out I have been using mine for almost 10 years. Every one here has the right idea do you need to go fast. I like shooting more than reloading. I have used a few presses in my time and have yet to find one that I would call a POS. Personally I like Dillon they have treated me very well when I have needed a part or just had a question. Just My 2cents

Sistema1927
November 21, 2007, 10:11 AM
Reloading is therapy for me.

While I can crank out ~ 200 rounds an hour on my Lee Turret Press, I normally slow down to a rate of around 125. I imagine that if I had a Dillon I would also operate at less than full throttle.

To each their own as to whether time spent reloading is wasted. To me it is a needed respite from the daily grind.

ilbob
November 21, 2007, 01:32 PM
500 rounds per hour

Is fast with any press. I wonder if he is considering the prep time such as filling primer tubes.

darwin-t
November 21, 2007, 02:27 PM
buenhec,

Which press do you have? If it's a Loadmaster we need to figure out what's slowing you down.....

I don't use the case feeder, it is more of a drag than an aid. Even with 4 tubes it only holds about 100 rounds.

SilentArmy
November 22, 2007, 02:55 AM
You can fill a Dillon primer tube in under 2 mins from a flip tray even after a triple espresso and a red bull! I keep at least 5 tubes filled when i load and just listen for the beep to refill! I have never used any other priming system than the Dillon and a lee autoprime but the Dillon tubes load so fast, It does not slow me down a bit. 1000 rnds/hr on the 650 is a realistic pace.

VonFatman
November 22, 2007, 10:43 AM
If you were seeking production and the press you purchased is not capable of the production level(s) you sought, you made a poor decision.
If you can afford a Dillon. And you think the Dillon will fulfill your needs, then buy a Dillon and dump the Lee.

Bob

woo18
November 27, 2007, 08:31 PM
I am in the same predicament. The problem is that a Lee Turret is a good starting press, but you can advance to progressives within a couple of months. I am going to get myself a 1050 for Christmas.

pakmcc
December 16, 2007, 12:38 AM
I've use a single stage for years, and I used a full progressive earier in life(12 ga. shotgun) when you have a mess up on a full progressive you first have to unload the machine and then fix the problem and then start all over.
when I starting looking for a progressive, I keep all these things in mine.
I finally brought a Dillon 550B and I couldn't be happier. I load 12 rifle cal. and about 15 pistols cal.
For 9mm, .45 auto and .40 cal., I can load about four to 500 per hour. I'm including filling the primer tubes.
But, this has got to be the most versital machine on the marker. I reload berdan brass, and boxer.(ok, I use a lee auto loader for priming the berdan cases) but I set the depriming pin a little higher and just got to town.(some times I have to resize, and trim first.)But then I can start at the powder station. The set up is easy and quick. The most time is spent(in a new reload) is setting the powder measure. After it's set, it stays there. I've never seen a powder thrower throw powder that good. once you set it, it's a done deal. Rifle or pistol. Yes, the rifle powder moves about .01+ or-, but that's not a problem with me. (I'm shooting pulled bullets in .308 in FAL's. CETME's, M1A's FR-8, SR K-31's and a bunch of Ishapores.) IF you set 8 gr.s of unique, It will throw 8 gr.s of unique till H**l freezes over.
Almost all my problems with the dillon have started with the NUt behind the handle(Me).
I don't want the 650, more money and a little more complacated and yes, It's faster. I've got a friend who shoot praite dogs. He's got a 650 and it stays set up for .223. He shoot about 4 to 6,000 rounds a year of .223.
ANd yes, he's on his 5th barrel on a REM. 700 rifle. But him and a friend might shoot 3,000 rounds on one trip to west TExas.
Pat

Lloyd Smale
December 16, 2007, 08:14 AM
to answer the original question is easy. YUP!

James41
December 16, 2007, 11:28 AM
Your Lee Turret system is a good little unit for doing small runs, but if your gonna try and keep up with an AR-15 your gonna need something more suited for the job.

I had a Lee Loadmaster which i got rid of quickly as i found i spent as much time trying to unjam it and replacing those "cheap plastic parts" as i did actually loading. It looked good and it was cheap, but just couldn't keep the thing going.

I purchased a Dillon 550b and have not regretted it one bit since i did. At first i was doing 9mm, 40SW, and 45 acp, but i have added an AR-15 to the collection too and the Dillon handles the AR-15 just fine.

I know there are people doing 500 + per hour on the 550b, but i have found that if i just loaf along at 200 to 300 an hour i don't wear my self out and make far fewer mistakes in the process, and those mistakes i do make are a lot easier to catch at 250 rounds an hour than 500.

The Dillon 550b is a great machine and the no bs warranty is great. If you plan on being in reloading for a long time you can't go wrong with a 550b.

RustyFN
December 16, 2007, 02:16 PM
Your Lee Turret system is a good little unit for doing small runs, but if your gonna try and keep up with an AR-15 your gonna need something more suited for the job.
You must be doing some serious shooting. After case prep ( something you have to do no matter what press you own ) I can load 500 rounds of 223 in two hours on a Lee Classic Turret. That would be 2,500 rounds loading M-F two hours a night. Way more than I shoot.
Rusty

James41
December 16, 2007, 05:28 PM
Well ya, i have to plead guilty of going overboard a lot of times when i get out on the range. There is just something about a semi auto that gets me going... I have a lead foot on the gas pedal in the car and i guess a lead finger on the trigger...:evil:

Like today for instance i went out for a quick round or two at the range and went through 300 rounds with the AR and 200 with the 45. Now i get to spend the next couple of days rebuilding my inventory... I know... sick ain't it. What else can i say...

bfox
December 18, 2007, 03:08 AM
I can load 500 rounds of 223 in two hours on a Lee Classic Turret. That would be 2,500 rounds loading M-F two hours a night. Way more than I shoot.
Rusty

Rusty
I believe you can do this but ,
doesn't that make it like pulling the handle on a LCCT once every
5 seconds ? If you are only pulling it 3 not 4 times .
Maybe I am doing the math wrong its late .
You must have some Big a$$ arms .

I have a LCCT and a couple Loadmasters and a SDB
Never timed myself .

Bill

woodfiler
December 18, 2007, 08:37 AM
I bought a press and had similar problems as stated earlier, fiddling, adjusting,
breaking plastic parts, and not getting close to the suggested output
per hour.

The second time around i did a little more research and talked to
more than a few reloaders and visited 2, both had Dillons, no bashing here.
One of them had both a 550 and 650.

I bought a 650 with a casefeeder. It was more than i had intended to
spend, but as the price of ammo increases, the shorter the payback
period becomes.

I would suggest a Hornady or Dillon.

wood

CZ223
December 18, 2007, 09:46 AM
Duh.:) Not trying to be mean here. I know there are a lot of Lee lovers out there and I get it. I own two Dillons and I won't lie and say I never have had a problem, I have. They have all been minor and when they are working properly, which is 95% of the time, due mostly to lack of proper maitenance I suspect, they can easily turn out 500 rounds an hour. Comparing Dillon to Lee is like comparing a Kia to a Toyota. There is no comparison. Both the Kia and the Lee will get thejob done but the ride won't be as nice and you wil probably spend a lot more time in the shop than you like.

RustyFN
December 18, 2007, 08:03 PM
Rusty
I believe you can do this but ,
doesn't that make it like pulling the handle on a LCCT once every
5 seconds ? If you are only pulling it 3 not 4 times .
Maybe I am doing the math wrong its late .
You must have some Big a$$ arms .
bfox, the cases are preped and primed. All I am doing is powder charge, seat and FCD. That is at a comfortable pace and not rushed.

Comparing Dillon to Lee is like comparing a Kia to a Toyota. There is no comparison. Both the Kia and the Lee will get thejob done but the ride won't be as nice and you wil probably spend a lot more time in the shop than you like.
Well I can't argue because I have never used a Dillon. It sounds like you have used the classic turret and the dillon. I know my classic turret is pretty smooth so I can only imagine what the Dillon is like. My problem is I have plenty of time to reload and I enjoy it so I'm not in a hurry, some of us like spending time in the shop. Now if the ammo quality was different I could see your point. The Dillon doesn't make any better quality ammo than the Lee so I can't see spending two or three times more money just to make it faster, JMO.
Rusty

mc223
December 18, 2007, 08:32 PM
I really like my RL-550, But I would rather be at the range shooting my better than your ammo. I value my range time.

RustyFN
December 18, 2007, 10:05 PM
I really like my RL-550, But I would rather be at the range shooting my better than your ammo. I value my range time.
Me to. I don't lose range time because of reloading. Glad your ammo is better than mine, you must be loading on a Dillon.:neener:
Rusty

mpmarty
December 19, 2007, 01:16 PM
I've had my Dillon 550B for over twenty years. I also have a Rockchucker from RCBS, and Lees' cheapest single stage "C" press with the pretty wood handle.

I find the 550B is the best progressive I've ever used and I've used a bunch of different units belonging to club members.

That said, I will quickly state that in most calibers I use LEE dies for collet neck sizing, factory crimping etc. I use the Dillon or RCBS bullet seater dies in station three and of course the Dillon expander / powder drop in station two. I also use the LEE lead hardness gauge on my cast bullets to be sure they are properly blended for their intended use (rifle hard, 10mm less hard, 45acp softer yet).

I very much like the LEE equipment I have and feel it is equal to any on the market and less expensive. In the case of the collet type neck sizer and factory crimp die there is no other maker offering these innovations to my knowledge.

In using their turret and progressive presses however I am less than impressed.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bought a Lee, Should I have gotton a Dillon?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!