changing the main spring in a Sig P-225

PDA

alan
November 16, 2007, 12:14 AM
A friend of mine is so directed, as his Sig pistol has a horrendous trigger pull, he tells me.

He is a retired machinist and long time pistol shooter/gun mechanic however having acquired replacement spring from Wolff, he is unable to install the new main spring.

Any suggestions, instructions references to "special tools" that might be appropriate would be appreciated. Answer on site or e-mail me.

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "changing the main spring in a Sig P-225" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Fumbler
November 16, 2007, 02:21 AM
It's fairly simple...but a pain in the butt at the same time

-unload the gun
-take off grips
-cock hammer
-place screwdriver between mainspring seat and hammer strut roll pin
-decock hammer. He should be able to take the mainspring assembly out.
-drive out hammer strut roll pin with a hammer and punch
-expect the spring and mainspring seat to go flying away at high velocity.
-figure out some way to compress the new spring. I've taken a piece of wire, put it through the spring, wrap the ends back around the outside of the spring and twisted the ends together with pliers to compress it. Do it again on the opposite side of the spring until you have enough room to put the mainspring seat back on and drive the roll pin back in. he's a machinist, he should be able to figure out a better way to keep the spring compressed
-put the strut assembly back in, cock hammer, clip & remove wires.

HammerBite
November 16, 2007, 05:32 AM
To remove:

With strut still in the gun, pull out roll pin with pliers. The pin is tapered, drag the small end through the strut.
While pinching the spring, remove the strut and seat in the usual fashion. The spring won't go anywhere if you do it right.

To install:

Clamp head of strut in a vise.
Slip spring over strut.
Compress the spring far enough to clear the end of the strut. Add seat and compress far enough to clear the hole in the strut.
Insert a loose-fitting pin punch in the hole. This is easier than trying to fiddle with the roll pin while fighting the spring.
With the pin punch in the hole, install the strut and seat in the usual manner. The pin punch can then be withdrawn, if it hasn't already fallen out.
Firmly insert roll pin, small end first, with pliers.

Fumbler
November 19, 2007, 02:00 AM
That sounds easier.
My roll pin was stuck in too hard to just use pliers.

Chris Orndorff
November 21, 2007, 11:05 PM
Hammerbite, those assembly instructions sound awfully familiar! :)

HammerBite
November 22, 2007, 12:59 AM
Hammerbite, those assembly instructions sound awfully familiar!
They just sort of popped into my head. :D

Nice DVD!!

If you enjoyed reading about "changing the main spring in a Sig P-225" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!