Re-bluing advice for a revolver......

PDA

22luvr
July 18, 2003, 10:31 AM
I've talked to a couple of friends here at work and they're telling me that re-bluing a revolver is not as much trouble as I had anticipated.

With that in mind, does anyone have any practical experience or advice?

Thanks...................

If you enjoyed reading about "Re-bluing advice for a revolver......" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Old Fuff
July 18, 2003, 11:26 AM
There are several different ways to blue a gun. For example you can use what it called "cold blue" solution that will produce a blue-black finish, but it won't last very long. The blue used on commercial guns and in professional refinishing requires skill and a lot of expensive equipment. To learn more about different kinds of blueing and other kinds of refinishing go to: www.brownells.com

4v50 Gary
July 18, 2003, 12:24 PM
I've reblued a couple of revolvers at Lassen College. Key is to have good buffer wheels and polish medium (grit). The gun is disassembled (bbl left on frame) and everything is polished & left oil-free (no fingerprints) for the bluing tanks. Not hard at all if you have access to professional equipment. Consider taking one of those NRA summer gunsmithing classes.

22luvr
July 18, 2003, 02:06 PM
That's about all I need to know. My friends were obviously doing the "cold blueing" technique. Guess I'll leave the "professional" blueing to the professionals! Thanks for responding.

ruger357
July 18, 2003, 02:21 PM
I have tried cold blueing in the past without much success. Why not call the manufacturer of the gun that you want reblued for a price?

If you enjoyed reading about "Re-bluing advice for a revolver......" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!