VCI Paper For Gun Storage?

PDA

texagun
November 16, 2007, 09:58 AM
Does anyone use VCI paper (Volatile Corrosion Inhibitors) for storing their guns? (This is the type of brown paper Smith & Wesson and other manufacturers wrap their guns in for shipping).

Just wondering what your experience with this product has been? It's supposed to resist rust and corrosion and has a lifespan of several years. It sounds like a good product to wrap your guns in for storage in a gunsafe.

If you enjoyed reading about "VCI Paper For Gun Storage?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JohnBT
November 16, 2007, 10:38 AM
www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1207&title=RUST-BLOX+VAPOR+TABS

I use these little squares in my safe, tool boxes, tackle boxes and such. I also buy similar cardboard squares at the gun store. They say to replace them every six months IIRC. They're supposed to be used in airtight enclosures, but what the heck, they aren't that expensive and they might do some good.

The guns still get covered in oil or grease as the first line of defense against rust.

John

dfariswheel
November 16, 2007, 04:23 PM
The VCI "Vapor Paper" is the way the military and industry now store corrosion-susceptible metal, especially guns.

Properly used, guns stored in this manner will be rust proof for at least 10 years.

The "trick" to proper storage is to wipe the metal with CLP Breakfree (or another similar product) to neutralize fingerprints, wrap the gun in sheets of the VCI paper, THEN make certain you seal the wrapped guns in the special plastic bags.

DO NOT use ordinary plastic bags or plastic. Ordinary plastics will pass moisture, and will allow the VCI vapor to escape and allow air in, which will allow the metal to rust.
These special bags are made of a "hard" plastic that won't pass moisture or air:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1154&title=TRIPLE+TOUGH?%20PREMIUM%20STORAGE%20BAGS

If you enjoyed reading about "VCI Paper For Gun Storage?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!