Going camping in a couple of weeks. What pistol should I take?

PDA

bryanZ06
November 16, 2007, 11:35 AM
I'd like to take a large caliber revolver, but I don't have one. My choices are all autos in the usual calibers (9mm, .40, and .45). I guess the .40 HK USP or the SIG P220 would be the best choices from what I have. Does anyone have a suggestion on a particular load from DoubleTap or Buffalo Bore for either one of these that would be good to carry in the mountains of NE Georgia? Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Going camping in a couple of weeks. What pistol should I take?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
19-3Ben
November 16, 2007, 11:41 AM
Take the H&K. Sigs are too good looking to risk. H&K's are very fine quality so it won't let you down, and if it gets a scratch...big deal. It's just plastic.

macFarlaine
November 16, 2007, 11:51 AM
Why do you need a pistol to go camping ? I have friends coming over in 4 weeks,they will be camping...is it that unsafe.

lee n. field
November 16, 2007, 11:52 AM
either one of these that would be good to carry in the mountains of NE Georgia?

What do you expect to be shooting at? Cougar? Bear? Bigfoot?

tnieto2004
November 16, 2007, 12:01 PM
Why do you need a pistol to go camping ? I have friends coming over in 4 weeks,they will be camping...is it that unsafe.

Many people on this board carry a pistol 24/7 .. As do I .. It is a matter of having it for self defense

macFarlaine
November 16, 2007, 12:06 PM
What can the 8 week tourist use for self defence when out camping,or should they stay at home.They are going to Texas.

DMK
November 16, 2007, 12:26 PM
Why do you need a pistol to go camping ? I have friends coming over in 4 weeks,they will be camping...is it that unsafe.You want to be out in the middle of nowhere, with no weapon to defend yourself?

I carry a fire extinguisher in my car 365 a year too. That doesn't mean that I expect my car to burst into flames at any minute.

Anyway, if it was me, I'd take the .40, but either would work fine.

macFarlaine
November 16, 2007, 12:32 PM
They are from the UK,if they could have some form of protection I sure they would take some.

glockman19
November 16, 2007, 12:56 PM
When I camp I take along a revolver and lever action rifle in the same caliber. either .357 or .44 mag depending on where and what I'll come in contact with. It's a MArlin 1894SS & S&W 629 or a Marlin 1894C & S&W 686.

bryanZ06
November 16, 2007, 12:59 PM
Like was said above, I don't really want to be out in the middle of nowhere without one should I need it. I would much rather have a gun and not need it then not have it and need it.

Storm
November 16, 2007, 02:11 PM
Living just south of the north Georgia mountains I can tell you that he may well run into a meth lab up there. Also, bear. I'd forget about aesthetics and be more concerned about knockdown power. The 220 would be my choice.

Remember, at least one guy ended up tied to a tree squealing like a pig :barf:

roscoe
November 16, 2007, 05:57 PM
Doubletap does make a hardcast .40 load that basically matches most over-the-counter 10mm power levels. It looks like it would offer the best in terms of penetration, if you are worried about bear. If people are your concern, any of the three calibers is good.

JHansenAK47
November 16, 2007, 08:39 PM
I don't know about y'all but I bring guns camping for plinking and defense.(Plinking mostly) That's part of the draw to camping for me.

stevereno1
November 16, 2007, 08:53 PM
bring 'em both! and a LOT of ammo! happy camping.

gbelleh
November 16, 2007, 09:31 PM
I'd take the HK.

GunNut
November 16, 2007, 10:02 PM
Sig P220, cause it's a .45ACP.

Really take the one that you shoot the best and feel the most confident with.

You need a gun more for 2-legged predators than any animals when camping.

jakeswensonmt
November 16, 2007, 10:04 PM
What do you expect to be shooting at? Cougar? Bear? Bigfoot?

I would carry to protect myself against two-legged threats. Not thinking of Bigfoot either.

jeepmor
November 16, 2007, 10:05 PM
Don't forget targets. And set aside enough ammo for self defense, just in case. IOW, don't blast it all.

351 WINCHESTER
November 16, 2007, 10:31 PM
If I go camping in Ga. I usually take my .38 as you never know when you're gonna run into the Deliverance gang.

bl4ckd0g
November 16, 2007, 11:31 PM
Are you going on a rafting trip?

bryanZ06
November 17, 2007, 12:14 AM
No rafting. Just going to hang out and drink beer with a couple of my buddies. We might go on a hike, but that's about it.

44AMP
November 17, 2007, 02:06 AM
Light, powerful enough. Prime gun for defense against varmints (2 legged). Not a great woods/camp gun (.22 is better), and not the best choice for bear defense,but way better than nothing. Black bear have been hunted with the .45 Auto, but that is for sport, with dogs. Best thing for bear would be one of the sprays, or just beat feet.

On the other hand, 2 legged predators can be found everywhere, even in the deep woods, and on hiking trails in national parks. Way better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

chris in va
November 17, 2007, 03:23 AM
Just take whatever you want. Both are great. Considering the 'campgrounds' I've stayed at, there's no WAY in heck I'd go unarmed.

TwitchALot
November 17, 2007, 04:36 AM
If you really have to bring only one, I'd take the .40. It'll probably have better penetration against animals with a thicker hide, and not a bad man stopper either (I'd take it in FMJ if it's animals you're concerned about).

kirkcdl
November 17, 2007, 09:36 AM
Just get a 357sig barrel for the USP,no comparison at that point...:D

full metal
November 17, 2007, 07:44 PM
I did not vote for any, I would carry a 357 magnum instead NUFF SAID!!

Kevin108
November 17, 2007, 11:13 PM
Take the HK! Sigs (like 1911s) are too pretty IMO for the rough stuff. Seems like rough stuff is all I ever do, so I stick with Glocks.

Majic
November 18, 2007, 03:54 AM
Get a good sturdy knife. They have way more uses when camping anyway. Also check around because you can't have firearms everywhere you camp.

If you enjoyed reading about "Going camping in a couple of weeks. What pistol should I take?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!