One More Time; Glock or XD?

PDA

Crow61
November 16, 2007, 12:10 PM
As a lot of you know, I have a SW99 and have not been completely happy with it. I have made up my mind to sell/trade it and I looked at the Glock 19 yesterday. I have never really considered an XD, but before I make the swap, I would like to hear opinions of both pistols. Please list the pros and cons of both. I would also like to know the size difference between a G19 and an XD9. And, lastly, why did you chose one over the other?

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "One More Time; Glock or XD?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Black Majik
November 16, 2007, 12:23 PM
Definitely Glock. The XD is a good gun, but I HATE the way it handles. The weight distribution feels so wrong, its really heavy on top and feels like a porker to swing around. A 5" barreled gun that feels like in weilding a desert eagle, well maybe not that bad but close.

strat81
November 16, 2007, 12:24 PM
What don't you like about the SW99?

Butter
November 16, 2007, 12:37 PM
I have handled and shot a Glock. It's a nice gun. For me, I have fairly small hands, am 5' 7" and a buck fifty....the Glocks have a beefier grip than the XDs and the grip angle has me canting my hands downward to keep an even sight picture.

The Glock has lots of aftermarket parts and you can find the guns used at reasonable prices. It is an accurate pistol. A really good pistol.

With all that said, I own four XDs and no Glocks. I do have a 1911 though and a couple of other toys, but the grip angle for the XDs are remiscent of that old venerable piece of Americana that every gun owner should have at least one of. :)

I also like the fact that there is a functional grip safety, instead of just the trigger. But, it is all in your training and what you keep in your head to make sure you are safe with any gun you own. When I bought my first XD it was also a $100 cheaper than a new, comparable Glock.

I have around 10K rounds through my Tac 9mm XD on which I had SA do their "carry package" (fiber optic sights and trigger adjustment)-- and the only times I have had malfunctions were in a pistol class when shooting close distance from a chest high position and the slide hit my chest causing a stove pipe. The other time was when I needed to change the recoil spring after I kept getting jams...about 8K rounds in. Other than that, all my XDs have functioned very well.

Like what everyone is going to tell you...try before you buy and you are the final arbiter of any choice you make with your own money. Good luck. Both are fine guns.

andrewshogun
November 16, 2007, 12:42 PM
Shooting the two side by side, I liked the XD more. It points better, and most importantly, just feels better in my hand. That being said, the Glock is such a 'classic' pistol now it didn't feel right not owning one, so I recently picked one up and it really is not a bad pistol! I happen to own the XD40 in .40, and I find the recoil very manageable and easy to fire. It DID take a while to get used to, but I can get pretty nice groupings now that I've adjusted to it.

GlockamaniaŽ
November 16, 2007, 12:47 PM
You'll know what I'll say.

Biggest difference for me is the thickness of the slide width. I prefer just to focus on sights rather than the bulky width of the XD's slide.

Also, Glocks don't have that beaver tail safety. And the trigger on the XD does need some getting used to.

This is just my opinion.

shield20
November 16, 2007, 01:11 PM
I would have said "P99". As has already been asked - what don't you like about the SW99?

TOADMAN
November 16, 2007, 02:34 PM
Glock works best for me...

casio02478
November 16, 2007, 02:37 PM
I have both, the Glock 17 for tactical on the job use and XD subcomp for carry.

Crow61
November 16, 2007, 02:39 PM
I have rented a G19 and compared the 99, I can hit far better with it. The SW99 appears to be bulkier and none of the grip inserts feel right. There are just a lot of things.

I also rented an XD last year, but really can't remember how it shot. I know that it didn't shoot as, for me, than the G19, but I am left handed and I do like the mag release on the XD better. The trigger seemed to pinch my finger if I remember correctly.

How much difference is there is size?

glockman19
November 16, 2007, 02:41 PM
One More Time:
Glock

R&J
November 16, 2007, 04:41 PM
Everybody Needs A G19! :D

So, just get that out of the way and move on with life! ;)

Here's Judy's G19 in OD...

It's Got:

. Trijicon Night Sights
. LaserMax
. SureFire X200B
. 33-Round Magazine (Not Shown)
. Double Tap 1395 fps 115 gr Gold Dot JHP

--Ray

TX1911fan
November 16, 2007, 05:11 PM
XD. Besides having a better grip angle, you won't have to say a Glock is better than any other handgun in the world. I have two XDs and they don't care if I also like CZs and 1911s. :-)

RNB65
November 16, 2007, 05:40 PM
I own both (G17 & XD9). I like both. I shoot both well. I recommend both. But almost everyone I know who has shot them side by side for comparison gets better results with the XD. I think it just has a more natural grip angle for most people.

spyderdude
November 16, 2007, 06:03 PM
I used to own the XD9 and XD45. They were great guns, but the lack of replacement parts has turned me over to Glock. I have G19, and used it to qualify for my CCW class, and I can tell you I am a darn good shot with it. I wouldn't sell or trade my G19 for anything, not even an XD. I may pick up another XD9 in the future.

KBintheSLC
November 16, 2007, 06:43 PM
Fundamentally, the two are very similar; DAO, striker fired, double stacks, reliable as hell. I tend to lean towards the Glocks because they have less bells and whistles (aka; extra safeties), and are strictly business. Glocks are less bulky as well.

However, it is too much like comparing apples to apples. There is not really enough variation from one platform to the next (as opposed to AR or AK?) to sit and argue about.

Just pick the one that feel the best in your hands and buy it. Both brands make excellent weapons.

Shaner
November 16, 2007, 06:47 PM
Biggest difference for me is the thickness of the slide width. I prefer just to focus on sights rather than the bulky width of the XD's slide.

Also, Glocks don't have that beaver tail safety. And the trigger on the XD does need some getting used to.

Understanding and respecting that you've stated your opinion and not spouted off "facts"...

The XD doesn't have a beaver tail safety, either. I find that the firearms of these days to choose from are fairly close to one another in this competitive market. The width of the XD's slide isn't much different than the Glock's in my viewpoint. As much as every millimeter counts in trying to conceal, this, in my opinion, is splitting hairs. I also don't find it hard to focus on the sights on the XD or any other gun for that matter whether it's an old surplus rifle, revolver, or plastic fantastic...

The trigger on the Glock can take some getting used to, also. I can't stand the progressive feel of Glock triggers. The reset is short, but a trigger job on the XD can remedy that if this is a biggie for you. I find the reset longer on the XD, but doesn't make me shoot much slower for the "coveted" fast double-tap.

Grip angle on Glocks don't do it for me. I can train myself to get used to it, but then I have to train my muscle memory back to the other pistols that I own, shoot, and rely on for life saving. On top of that, "correcting" for grip angle throws off my skeletal and mucle structure(hence, ergonomics again). I can feel the ill effects on a long range session. Therefore, this is a big turnoff for me on Glocks.

Aftermarket parts kills the popularity for the do-it-yourselfer. Glock clearly owns this market niche. They're also extremely easy to learn and take down. XDs aren't bad either, but since the basic practice of modifying Glocks is common, XDs fall short.

Glock's triggers and sights are plastic, XD's are metal. I don't think the trigger being plastic is necessarily a minus, but IMO, the XD's sights are much better made.

In my experience, BOTH are just as reliable as the next as far as reliability.

The ergonomics of the Glock is like holding a brick, the XD feels like it was formed using my hand as a mold nearly. Long range sessions make me dislike the Glock even more. I have medium sized hands.

The newer finish on the XDs are just about as tough as the Glock. Splitting hairs here, too. Care for your gun and it will take care of you. Whether one can say the other is inferior...well, all I can say is if you abuse a tool, then maybe you don't deserve to own one. I have the earlier gen XDs and the newer style and neither has any corrosion. I also live in the midwest where summers here are hot and humid as all get out day AND night.

High bore axis is another hyped up issue. I believe in proper grip and firing technique for yourself. Some people like the lower bore axis in Glocks. However, my techniques allow to use the "muzzle flip" as an advantage in firing XDs. My recovery time back on target is actually faster than the Glock.

So, as you can tell, I choose the XD. Keep in mind, though. Most of the items that I address is how the guns function FOR ME. Just because the XD fits the bill better for me doesn't make it the end all, be all best choice for everybody.

You haven't stated what the purpose for the gun will be. I see that you've hinted the concern for size. Is this for CCW? Range? HD?

Like Butter has stated, I'd try to find a place to rent or beg your buddy to go with you and fire his. There's been too many cases that I can count that people buy a firearm only because it FEELS good in the hand, only to fire it and turns out to be all wrong in practice. None of my experiences may end up applying to you.

I honestly think Glocks and XDs are reliable, good shooting polymer guns and are reasonable priced given the market conditions.

Hope this helps muddy up the water...;)

Shaner
November 16, 2007, 06:50 PM
Fundamentally, the two are very similar; DAO, striker fired, double stacks, reliable as hell. I tend to lean towards the Glocks because they have less bells and whistles (aka; extra safeties), and are strictly business. Glocks are less bulky as well.

Good point, but the XD isn't DAO. It's classified as single action...

Steve B.
November 16, 2007, 10:48 PM
Glock! Easier to maintain, parts are cheap and readily available. Mags are more readily available and cheaper!

10-Ring
November 16, 2007, 10:57 PM
I'm not a fan of the XD -- as I've said a few times here. The Glocks have just proven themselves over the years as performers :cool:

SouthpawShootr
November 16, 2007, 11:01 PM
I got my G19 first. I bought it long before there was an HS2000, let alone an XD. I was surprised how well I shot with it. I pretty much disregarded the HS2000s and the only reason I bought an XD was b/c a guy at the range went on and on about them. Frankly, the XD just didn't fit me. Also, I liked the fact that just about any Glock factory part can be easily had and easily changed by the end user. I disliked the fact that Springfield is stingy with parts. I eventually got rid of my first black XD b/c I worried constantly that it would rust and I fell in love with a bitone for some odd reason. I keep my bitone XD b/c I know I occasionally grow to like guns I initially disliked, though after several years, my XD bitone sits unfired in the safe.

GLOOB
November 17, 2007, 12:12 AM
I wonder why so many people state as fact that the grip angle on the XD is better. I prefer the grip angle of the glock to the 1911 (never shot an XD). For me, the greater angle makes for better shooting all around. Better aimed shooting due to slightly better recoil control and slightly less fatigue (think target grips). And better point shooting, because the gun is more in line with your arm. I mean think about it. When you point at something, do you bring your finger all the way up to eye level, then cock it downwards towards the target, completely obscuring any view of your finger by the back of your hand? Or do you keep it str8 in line with your arm and see a bit of the top of the "slide" of your finger? Since your finger has no sights on it, I would anticipate that it's the latter.

Maybe I'm biased due to my experience. I started shooting pistols with a Daisy target-style air gun. The first time I picked up a 1911, the grip angle felt sooo wrong! But even so, with a little practice, I could easily adapt to the 1911. So I don't fault it's grip angle as a serious negative. On the other side of the coin, I wonder how so many other people can find the angle of the Glock a fatal flaw.

GLOOB
November 17, 2007, 12:19 AM
kufyuk!

siglite
November 17, 2007, 12:29 AM
I'm a glock grip-angle hater. That's pure personal preference. They point high for me coming out of the holster. But between the XD and the Glock, here's my take (and it's worth exactly what you paid for it ;) )

Like the glock trigger better
Like the XD grip angle better.

james_bond
November 17, 2007, 12:44 AM
I have an XD in .45 ACP and Love it. I the Glock 21 had a funny grip angle that I did not care for and it was a little more $$ too. The XD was also avaible with a longer barrle (and thus sight radius) Also when John Moses and crew made the 1911 it was 5 inches for the .45 so I stuck with it, I Love my tactical XD it feels good and I have feed it a good verity of ammo and have never had any problems. Yes the Glock has a fantastic track record, but I see the Xd on the same path it just hasent been around as long but is showing nothing but steadfast preformance.

pablo45
November 17, 2007, 04:38 AM
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc239/bauergod/chrispictures017.jpg

Get a Glock 19 dude, You will not be sorry. I promise!

legion3
November 17, 2007, 05:12 AM
I like the XD45 guns but carry a G19/G26, the trigger on the XD I could not get used to compared to the Glock.

The Glock I carried on duty, so I am very familer with its quirks....Just never could master the trigger reset on the XD comfortably.

Now perhaps if I had started with an XD, who knows?

76shuvlinoff
November 17, 2007, 07:26 AM
1911 of course! :evil: sorry.... someone had to.

I have used both and currently own an XD, You can't really go wrong with either choice. They work, period.

Deanimator
November 17, 2007, 09:18 AM
I've got a police surplus Glock 19 that I got from Summit Gun Broker. It's a great gun. I did all of the parts upgrades and "$0.25 trigger job" myself (It was a 2nd Gen). I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Glock 19. It's 100% reliable and very accurate with Winchester White Box 147gr. JHPs.

I know a number of people who own XDs. I don't care for them on purely esthetic grounds, since I think the slide LOOKS too tall. That having been said, I don't know of any actual problems with them and everyone I know who owns one likes it.

You would do well with either gun. If money is an issue, you would do well to consider police trade-in Glocks.

tnieto2004
November 17, 2007, 10:50 AM
I own both and prefer shooting the XD

Curare
November 17, 2007, 11:07 AM
When we are talking injection molded--is there really a winner here?

Of the two, I greatly prefer Glock.

357Nut
November 17, 2007, 11:43 AM
No mention of the M&P Smiths. I've always wanted a Glock for carry but could never come to grips with the grip. Doesn't fit my hand (small hand). I recently bought two M&Ps, a compact in 9mm and full size in 40. Love the grip and the ability to fit it to my hand. I use the thinnest insert with the full size and the medium with the compact. Being in the military I received the LE price and 3 Mags with each gun with a coupon for 2 more free (available to anyone at this time). They both shoot well but only time will tell if they can truly compete with the Glock for reliability. The LE versions I bought came with no mag safety and no built in lock. Otherwise I wouldn't have bought them.

Super Trucker
November 17, 2007, 11:04 PM
I personally like XD's better than Glocks, I have owned both. I sold the Glocks and now have only XD's. They are similar guns, both are very good. You need to decide which one fits you the best. The grip angle is not right for me on a Glock, you may be different.
Good luck

jhansman
November 18, 2007, 01:10 AM
Ya gotta shot 'em both. They are just different enough so you will know which is for you. Personally, I found the XD45 fit my hand better and felt more natural to shoot. Easy gun to maintain, too.

possum
November 18, 2007, 02:22 AM
realll it is up to yo and what feels best to you. i have 2 xds and i love em, i have owned a 19 in the past ad though they are great guns, i shoot better with the xds and prefer them in many many ways, use the search function and you will find many reasons why i like the xd over the 19, a few examlples. xd has metal sights the glock has plastic but that is the case in alot of the areas and componets of the the glock they are plastic compared to the xd metal parts, i also prefer the 3 dot configured sights on the xd to the u shape glock factory sight, just to name a few.

If you enjoyed reading about "One More Time; Glock or XD?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!