Reloaded some M1 Carbine last night and had a issue

PDA

brockj
November 16, 2007, 12:48 PM
I got all the final stuff I needed from Midway yesterday, so I rushed home all excited to try it out! I got the Lee carbide dies, and was very impressed with them.

After sizing all my cases I went to trim, I just use the lee trimmer, and noticed I couldn't get the trimmer all the way in, the guide was getting caught at the end. I measured, and the cases I had were within spec, so I didn't worry about it. Continued on my way...

When I got to the part about seating the bullet, I drop my charge, put it in the press, pull down and CRUNCH! The bullet crushed the brass. Thinking it was something I did, I tried again, same thing! Took a look and sure enough the brass looked to be tapered too much for the bullet. I didn't even think about it now for measuring the bullet, but they were Remington SP 110 grain.

Anyone else experience this? Is it something I am doing? I am pretty new to reloading, so any help is appreciated!

If you enjoyed reading about "Reloaded some M1 Carbine last night and had a issue" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Grandpa Shooter
November 16, 2007, 12:54 PM
What bullet type are you using? Is there a taper at the base to help getting the bullet started into the case? Is your powder die belling the case mouth to allow the bullet to seat properly? If you are using a square base bullet (untapered) and not belling the mouth of the case, then YUP you will smoosh the case.

Let us know more of the details and we can try to help you better!

ReloaderFred
November 16, 2007, 02:12 PM
You can do one of two things to solve this problem. After trimming, you need to chamfer the inside of the case mouth with a deburring tool. This should take care of your problem.

The other thing to do is bell the case mouth so it will accept the bullet, then taper crimp in the final step. When I'm loading for the .30 Carbine, I chamfer and bell the case mouths, due to the tapered design of the case.

Hope this helps.

Fred

GRIZ22
November 16, 2007, 02:28 PM
I've never found any 30 carbine brass that would accept the bullet without belling the case mouth. The seating die should take out all the belling and crimp the round.

brockj
November 16, 2007, 02:51 PM
It is a flat base bullet.

I did not bell, mostly because I didn't know. To this point I have only loaded larger rifle calibers (30-06, 8mm, 54R). So I was loading this the same way.

Clean/Inspect
Lube
Size
Clean
Prime
Charge
Seat Bullet

I am using the lee perfect powder measure (stinks with ball powder!), so I was adding powder directly to the case that way, is there anything special to do when using the powder die?

rcmodel
November 16, 2007, 04:04 PM
You have to bell .30 carbine because it is a tapered case. There is no straight neck section for the expander button to work on, and no expander button in the die, like a bottle-neck rifle case & die.

It will also help a bunch to campher the inside of the necks.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/KTOG/1224.gif
rcmodel

zxcvbob
November 16, 2007, 04:20 PM
So you stuck a funnel in the top of the powder die and are measuring the powder by hand? OK, that works.

Anyway, the Lee powder die also expands the neck of the case if you have it adjusted far enough down. I suspect that you don't.

(you forgot to put measure/trim the cases on your list; that's important with .30 Carbine because they sometimes lengthen when you resize them)

brockj
November 16, 2007, 05:24 PM
I actually did check the length (buried in my first post).

I never used the powder die, and it sounds like that was my problem. When I was charging the case I I just put it up to the powder measure. I will give the powder die a shot this weekend and see if that helps.

zxcvbob
November 16, 2007, 05:30 PM
I actually did check the length (buried in my first post).

I saw that, but it's important enough of a step it I thought it needed to be on the list too :) BTW, you might need to expand the necks (with the powder die) before you trim them for the trimmer mandrel to fit.

I use the cylinder from my Ruger Blackhawk to gage .30 Carbine cases 6-at-a-time after I size them. It's a lot faster than running them all thru the trimmer when only 10% to 20% actually need trimming.

tkendrick
November 16, 2007, 06:59 PM
About 25 years ago, I gave away an M-1 Carbine because I found the cartridge such a pain in the A#* to reload.

Obviously, nothing has changed much.

Good luck.

ReloaderFred
November 16, 2007, 07:40 PM
It's really no more trouble than any other "pistol" round. The only difference is the requirement to trim them, since they tend to grow. It's just a matter of getting into a routine that works for each caliber.

Hope this helps.

Fred

PS: Wish I had been standing there when you gave that carbine away.......

30Cal
November 18, 2007, 01:11 PM
You'll need to bell the mouth slightly as others have pointed out.

If you have too much crimp, that will buckle the case.

Ty

brockj
November 18, 2007, 02:21 PM
The bell seems to be it! Went through and did another 50, and worked much better! Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Reloaded some M1 Carbine last night and had a issue" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!