XD vs. Glock

PDA

68'chevelle
November 16, 2007, 01:46 PM
What are the differences between the XD compact in 45ACP and the Glock 23?

If you enjoyed reading about "XD vs. Glock" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
XDKingslayer
November 16, 2007, 02:07 PM
The XD has a different grip angle, it's cheaper NIB, it has a grip safety, and it has a cocking indicator on the rear of the slide. It also has a fully reinforced chamber, I'm not sure if the Glock does or not.

Black Majik
November 16, 2007, 02:10 PM
One says Glock the other says Springfield Armory? One is chambered in .45 ACP and the other is in .40 S&W?

If you want .45 ACP look into a Glock 30 instead of the G23, then it'll be comparable.

GlockamaniaŽ
November 16, 2007, 02:18 PM
Or a Glock model 36. Slim line frame.

Black Majik
November 16, 2007, 02:35 PM
That's the funny thing about XDs. Their fullsize version used to be the "serivce XD" with the 4" barrel. Now their fullsize version is the tactical model, so when people ask regarding the XD compact, are they inquiring about the XDsc or the XD service model which used to be the fullsize model?

Or... maybe I'm thinking too much into this.

D-Man
November 16, 2007, 02:42 PM
In .45 models, there is no SC (well, at least not yet).

You have the Compact which is the Service model with a shorter grip / magazine. But you also get an extended magazine which brings it up to the same size as the Service model.

In the middle you have the Service model.

Then you have the Tactical model which has the same grip as the Service one, but adds a 5" barrel. They also have a Tactical compact model with the shorter grip.

Hope this is all correct (going off memory).

glockman19
November 16, 2007, 02:44 PM
What are the differences between the XD compact in 45ACP and the Glock 23

First, off one is .45 the other is .40 caliber.

Second, the Glock 23 weighing less is snappier.

Third, I'd get a H&K or Sig in .40 and a 1911 style in .45.

Between the two you mention, I'd probably opt for the Glock 23

Ghostrider_23
November 16, 2007, 02:51 PM
The S.A. XD is a single action gun. When you pull the slide back the firing pin is ready to fire, all you need to do is squeeze the trigger and the firing pin is released.

The Glock on the other hand is a half coked double action gun. When you pull the slide back it moves the firing pin into the halfway mode when you squeeze the trigger, the trigger it's self pulls the firing pin back and then releases it. Making the Glock a half cocked DAO pistol.

D-Man
November 16, 2007, 03:10 PM
^ If you throw out the semantics between the XD single action vs. the Glock double action, could it be said that both triggers feel very similar? (At least to me they do).

The point being is I don't think this difference would matter for the general buyer. Both guns will have a standard trigger pull with a relatively low trigger weight each and every time.

eeyore
November 16, 2007, 03:30 PM
Of the XDs and Glocks that I've handled, I think that the XD triggers are much better, probably because the trigger pull does less work given that the firing pin starts closer to it's release point. The XDs don't stack (or crunch, in some cases) like the Glocks do right before they release.

I really want to like the XDs better, but I can't get over their use of polymer rails at the rear of the frame. I'm sure they don't bear much load during normal firing, but I can picture in my mind too many ways to do major damage to those bits of plastic. Maybe this is a hijack, but can anyone attest to the durability or fragility of the rear XD rails?

::

R&J
November 16, 2007, 04:25 PM
The XD series are nice and all, but in no way do they approach Glock's resumé as reliable combat platforms--they're still too new. I've shot them, they are nice guns.

Parts availability for the XD series is also downright peculiar--it's like they don't want you fixing them, or something. Accessories availability is getting better fast.

Parts availability for Glock is a non-issue, and accessories abound.

Speaking of parts, see my post on the "parts broken" thread...

For a SHTF carry gun, I'd opt for Glock!

The G30 .45 ACP has proved to be a very accurate, durable, and reliable shooter! I've rented one twice (about 400-rounds), and it's my next planned purchase.

Its big brother, G21, is my bedside gun! ;)

Both G21 and G30 are convertible to 10 mm, if you want real .357 magnum performance in an auto-loader! :what:

Note: The big bore of a .45 ACP certainly is an attention getter! :eek:

We have it on some good authority that a G30SF will be along soon.

My G21 (shown here) is equipped with:

. Meprolight Sights
. LaserMax
. SureFire X200B
. DT 1325 fps, 643 ft. lbs., 165 gr JHP

--Ray

nitesite
November 16, 2007, 04:40 PM
Add to the comments already mentioned...

(1) Glock recoil spring guide, trigger and trigger lever, and front sight are plastic.

The same parts on an XD are steel throughout.

(2) Glock magazines have a steel liner inside a plastic outer sheath, so some longer cartridges are a problem.
XD Magazines are stainless steel.

(3) Glock manual of arms for disassembly is somewhat different.

(4) XD has ambi magazine release

I'm not knocking the Glock. I have a G29 that's my EDC and also carry a 4" Service XD-45 on occasion.

R&J
November 16, 2007, 04:54 PM
nitesite said, in part, ..."Glock recoil spring guide, trigger and trigger lever, and front sight are plastic."

While certainly true, these things haven't been much of an issue, in terms of durability, over thousands of rounds, including the mighty 10 mm (is there even an XD 10 mm?). Except for the sights.

A great man said, "Glock perfection ends at the top of the slide!"

The stock Glock sights are, frankly, cheesy. :barf:

It's a given that one replaces them! ;)

What did you put on your G29?

--Ray

nitesite
November 16, 2007, 05:11 PM
Good points! I have complete faith in my G29s stock parts, I was merely mentioning some differences.

I've come very close a time or two to putting TruGlo TFOs on at least the front.

Right now it's still all stock but I'll probably get off my butt and change the sights after Christmas.

R&J
November 16, 2007, 06:39 PM
nitesite wrote...

"Good points! I have complete faith in my G29s stock parts, I was merely mentioning some differences.

I've come very close a time or two to putting TruGlo TFOs on at least the front.

Right now it's still all stock but I'll probably get off my butt and change the sights after Christmas."

And you were right! If I did my own loading, I'd buy a G29 instead of the G30. As is, I'd try a KKM 10 mm Conversion Barrel on the G30, as this has worked out well with my G21. 10 mm is just too spendy for me to shoot much of--and, of course, I like the hot and expensive Double Tap loads! :evil:

I've looked into this too, and and have compatibility data. I fell in love with a Sig P229 Equinox (which has a TFO front), but couldn't justify the cost. If you want amplified info on this at some point, let me know.

I here ya. I guy can only do so much... We've got Meprolight, Trijicon, XS, and Dawson Precision; all are good. I'm going to try AmeriGlo Operator sights next.

Be well!

--Ray

Blue Brick
November 16, 2007, 07:05 PM
If your set on a polymer gun, might I suggest a Ruger P-97 45ACP or a P-95 9mm or a SR9 9mm striker pistol.

KBintheSLC
November 16, 2007, 07:08 PM
In the sub-compact realm I would opt for the Glock mainly based on less bulk. Even the 3" XD9 is a stout little gun and carries no better IMO than a full sized auto. I prefer the ergonomics of my G26 in this respect. Yeah, the stock sights sucked... got rid of them about 5 minutes after I got it home from the gun shop. The Meprolite's are nice but the rear sight is a bit more dim than I like it to be. This Glock vs XD thing is more a matter of taste as opposed to being scientific or quantitative.

If your set on a polymer gun, might I suggest a Ruger

I know we all have the right to our opinions, but I would never put a Ruger semi in the same category as a Glock or XD. I love my 10/22 and MKIII, but all of the 9mm's I have shot of theirs felt "rickety" and performed poorly. Maybe the new ones are better.?

68'chevelle
November 16, 2007, 07:17 PM
or I could go with a M1911A1?

Super Trucker
November 17, 2007, 11:25 PM
The XD in .45acp has a thicker grip than one in a .40 or 9mm also.

Autolycus
November 18, 2007, 12:19 AM
I like Glocks myself in 9mm. If your looking at a .45 check out a nice 1911.

10-Ring
November 18, 2007, 02:31 AM
No difference -- I wouldn't buy either :scrutiny: ;)
In a Glock, I'd stick primarily w/ 9mm. In 45 acp, I'd go HK USP in polymer or 1911 in steel :cool:

txgolfer45
November 18, 2007, 11:54 AM
The XD trigger on the .45 felt gritty to me. OTOH, the Glock trigger felt smooth with a crisp break.

If you enjoyed reading about "XD vs. Glock" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!