Angry robber shoots tourist for giving him $400 Canadian

PDA

Ed Straker
July 18, 2003, 10:57 AM
Angry robber shoots tourist for giving him $400 Canadian
Â_Bruce Ward The Ottawa Citizen
Thursday, July 17, 2003

The Canadian dollar doesn't get any respect in the U.S., not even from criminals. Especially not from criminals.
A 20-year-old Kitchener man visiting Buffalo, New York, with two friends was shot in the back by a robber who got angry when his victims handed over $400 in Canadian money.
For Earl Purcell, it was hardly the sort of bang for the buck he was expecting.
"I was just there hanging out, shopping and visiting friends," Mr. Purcell told the Citizen yesterday in a phone interview.
"But I was in the wrong neighbourhood and I got shot in the back with a .45 (pistol). It was terrifying."
Buffalo police Lieut. Jake Ulewski said the incident occurred about 6:40 p.m. last Friday when a male jumped into the back of Mr. Purcell's 1992 Honda. Matt Pfaff and Julie Medeiras, both of Kitchener, were passengers in the car.
"When the victims turned over $400 in Canadian money, the suspect was not happy and proceeded to shoot the driver in the back," said Lieut. Ulewski.
Mr. Purcell said the incident was "a hostage-taking type deal," with the robber holding the gun to his head .
"He had the gun to my neck and to my face. He said he was going to kill me and then he started trying to rob my friends at the same time. As soon as he let the gun off my face, I accelerated. I floored the gas."
The gunman was thrown back in the seat for a moment, said Mr. Purcell.
"Then he came and shot me in the back, it went through my lung. I kept driving four or five blocks then my friend Matt pushed him out of the car. He flew out of the car as we were going around a corner."
Mr. Purcell said he stopped the car and got out shortly after.
"I sat on the sidewalk for a while and bled. Luckily, the police came driving down the street, and they called an ambulance."
Mr. Purcell returned home on Tuesday after being released from Erie County Medical Center in Buffalo.
Lieut. Ulewski said no arrests have been made in the case.

http://www.canada.com/search/story.aspx?id=73635238-1d15-405c-ac55-aae6eb31d4fb

If you enjoyed reading about "Angry robber shoots tourist for giving him $400 Canadian" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jesse H
July 18, 2003, 11:10 AM
"As soon as he let the gun off my face, I accelerated. I floored the gas."

Is it just me or does that sound like a dumb move. He's still in your back seat with a gun...but now you've upset him.

4v50 Gary
July 18, 2003, 11:17 AM
The predator needs a rope tied around his neck and needs to be dragged over the asphalt.

Snowdog
July 18, 2003, 12:36 PM
I always wear a seat belt and make absolutely certain my passengers do as well. An automatic response I believe I would have if in a similar situation would be to accelerate and find the nearest telephone pole or stationary object...I'd probably be yelling "they're right behind us" or something similar to through off the thug just for the couple seconds it would take to find a suitable solid target.

Then it would be to retrieve my concealed handgun and assess the situation (assuming I'm still alive or capable of movement).

For years I have always believed this would be an automatic reaction from myself and I've done nothing to change it.

I hope he chooses a more friendly location for his next visit. :(

foghornl
July 18, 2003, 01:21 PM
More proof that just giving the BG what he/they want doesn't always spare you from injury or death.

Doug444
July 18, 2003, 01:33 PM
Just curious, but why didn't the BG shoot the OTHER victims while they were driving around for "4 or 5 blocks"? My take is that the driver got shot because of his driving, not the $400 Canadian. Not that either one is an acceptable motive for violence, but as someone has already said, givin' 'em what they ask for is no guarantee, eh?

Anything for a new headline I guess.

Doug444

ShaiVong
July 18, 2003, 01:36 PM
Imagine what would have happened if he had given him 400 Vietnamese Dongs? :D

Pain
July 18, 2003, 03:34 PM
Or how about 400 Pesos.

Kevlarman
July 18, 2003, 04:32 PM
Geeze, doesn't anybody lock their car doors anymore? My friends always get annoyed when they try to open the door of their vehicle and find it locked.

It just makes sense.

Archie
July 18, 2003, 04:43 PM
If I have any control, I'll be going as fast as I can.

"We're doing 60 mph down a busy street lined with trees. You want to shoot me and try to get my fat butt out of the way so you can control the car before we crash?"

But, as had been said, cooperation does not mean safety. I seem to see a trend that the more the victim cooperates, the sooner the robber will be done, and then shoots the victim.

.45Ruger
July 18, 2003, 04:48 PM
This really is one more example of the fact that if you just give them all that you have they will let you be is just a falicy invented by Liberals. They say don't resist, and this is what that can get you. I am glad this poor guy is okay at least.

Jesse H
July 18, 2003, 05:12 PM
Hi Archie,

Jesse H, I can't agree with you.
If I have any control, I'll be going as fast as I can.

"We're doing 60 mph down a busy street lined with trees. You want to shoot me and try to get my fat butt out of the way so you can control the car before we crash?"

But, as had been said, cooperation does not mean safety. I seem to see a trend that the more the victim cooperates, the sooner the robber will be done, and then shoots the victim.

I'm definately not saying to be a pacificst about things and allow yourself to be victimized. I just feel that in instances where a gun is pointed at your head, with the guy's finger on the trigger, it doesn't seem wise to do anything that'll make him flinch, get irritated, excited, clench, etc.

What I would do is just drive normal at a good speed, and into a hard object. Accellerating from a dead stop in a state of panic is already giving away your intentions.

cordex
July 18, 2003, 05:52 PM
The gunman was thrown back in the seat for a moment, said Mr. Purcell.
"Then he came and shot me in the back, it went through my lung. I kept driving four or five blocks then my friend Matt pushed him out of the car. He flew out of the car as we were going around a corner."
"Hey Matt! Where the heck were you four or five blocks ago?!?"

Autolite
July 18, 2003, 06:24 PM
Sounds like the victim and the BG broke even. One .45 ACP round is worth about $400 dollar CND...

Peter Gun
July 18, 2003, 06:47 PM
I beleive in Occam's razor- the simplest explanation is usually the correct one. While it's entirely possible this is all true, it seems much more likely this was a drug deal gone bad. I've never heard of someone carjacking by getting in the back seat, but thats how we used to do deals back in Annapolis, MD. Any LEO's ever seen this MO?

Raistlin
July 19, 2003, 11:42 AM
Posted by Kevlarman:

Geeze, doesn't anybody lock their car doors anymore?

So very true! It always amazes me when I see some video on TV where the BG just opens somebody's car door and jumps in. If the door is locked, that may give you enough time to hit the gas and leave the area.

Ed Brunner
July 19, 2003, 07:18 PM
Imagine what would have happened if he had given him 400 Vietnamese Dongs?

Hopefully we will never know.

capt. Nemo
July 19, 2003, 07:35 PM
I gotta agree with Peter...something sounds fishy. I wasn't there and I don't know these people, but I'm curious as to what they were doing in "the wrong neighborhood", what the hell happened during the 4 or 5 block ride and why he "sat on the sidewalk for a while and bled" until a cruiser happened alomg and called an ambulance.

There's something here that just don't add up to me. Call me suspicious...

Just my two cents worth...

Buck

If you enjoyed reading about "Angry robber shoots tourist for giving him $400 Canadian" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!