Hand-thrown Trap

PDA

Packman
November 16, 2007, 08:49 PM
I just saw something in another post here that reminded me of a question I've had for a while now.

I've seen those red plastic throwers at wal-mart/sports authority that you can load with one clay and then chuck it by hand. they're like ten bucks, and I'm wondering if they're of any use. I've got a friend with a ranch i can go to shoot on, so I'm curious to know if these are any good.

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hand-thrown Trap" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dave McCracken
November 16, 2007, 09:00 PM
Good value. Lots of us have used them for pasture clays. Lots of fun....

Jorg Nysgerrig
November 16, 2007, 09:04 PM
I think they are great for the money. However, if you have shoulder or elbow problems, you may not get too many throws out of them. With a bit of practice you can throw them just about any way you want. You do need to adjust them a bit by bending the jaws sometimes to get them to release just right for your throwing style, but once you get the hang of that you can have lots of fun with them.

This is the one I have: http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/ezthrow.html

I have the single and the double. The double is fun, but requires a bit more technique to get to work right. I wouldn't recommend starting with that one, although it is just two of the smaller ones connected with another piece. You could use them seperately to start. You can actually throw stacked doubles with the single, it just takes a bit of practice and a smooth swing.

Champion makes a nicer one that seems to be more adjustable that I'd like to try one day: http://www.championtarget.com/products/traps/SuperSportHandThrower.aspx

Starter52
November 16, 2007, 09:22 PM
Those throwers work remarkably well for the price. I've used one on several occasions. A fairly decent product. I'd recommend it.

Packman
November 16, 2007, 09:34 PM
Cool, thanks everyone. not really the replies I was expecting. I sure don't mind being surprised about it though.

Floppy_D
November 16, 2007, 09:35 PM
Once you get the knack (not over/underthrowing) you can put 'em right where you want. I have two, so I can throw the second clay after the first bang. $$$ well spent.

chris in va
November 17, 2007, 02:02 AM
They're the greatest thing since 9mm. The technique is easy, just snap your wrist. If you use the whole arm, they won't work very well. BTW you'll want to widen the clay holder some. They come from the factory WAY too tight.

Downside? Someone else has to throw the clays for you, unless you're desperate and manage to chuck a clay then shoulder the shotgun within 1 second...been there, done that.

distra
November 17, 2007, 07:57 AM
We picked one and a Do-All Competition trap ($29) from Wally world before going on vacation. We ended up using the Do-All because the red hand launcher was a bit more work. The Do-All is a excellent for the money and you don't need someone to throw for you. My wife and I both had some difficulties with the hand launcher. Once you get the hang of it you can really send them flying however, we enjoyed the Do-All quite a bit. You can launch doubles, very the angle and attach it to a spare tire. I think it's worth it to spend a little extra for the spring loaded trap. YMMV.

SASS#23149
November 17, 2007, 09:51 AM
be careful. If the clay does not release when it's supposed to,you can take a shooters/spectators head off with one of those things.
they get pretty tight in cold weather especially.
A judiceouis (sp) snip or 2 with tinsnips on the flats at the heel of the 'jaws' will lightne them up,but too many cuts and you're in trouble.
..doln't ask me how I know this.

sm
November 17, 2007, 12:22 PM
Alternate use is spoiling dawgs.

Banana Moon Pies and slinging them for dawgs is just too much fun!

Dawgs cannot have chocolate, still Banana Moon Pies and similar dawg safe treats slung...

Sometimes life is not always about shooting...It is for the dawgs!

Rampant_Colt
November 17, 2007, 01:35 PM
These things are a blast, and are cool for teaching noobs and poor marksmen the basics of leading a target and cross-wind shots

http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/7762/slingerscn2.jpg

Jorg Nysgerrig
November 17, 2007, 03:46 PM

Back where I was talking about using one of these in the other thread, there was a dog story I left out. Had the dogs locked in the back of the truck whlie we were shooting. As we got done and started to police shells, I decided to let them out to run around. My retriever did what I should have expected. After watching us throw all those clays without going to get them, he knew he had a job to do. He jumped straight out of the truck, ran downrange, hunted around for a moment, found an unbroken clay, and started to bring it back before I told him to drop it. That's a retriever for you.

sixgunner455
November 17, 2007, 05:01 PM
After watching us throw all those clays without going to get them, he knew he had a job to do. He jumped straight out of the truck, ran downrange, hunted around for a moment, found an unbroken clay, and started to bring it back before I told him to drop it. That's a retriever for you.

That's cool.

Packman
November 17, 2007, 06:49 PM
Cool, thanks everyone. Now that someone mentioned those do-all traps, how are those? Only thing I don't like about them is that they don't look nearly as convenient to toss in the truck, but that's about it. How do they work? Do you pull a string? Reliable?

These are the things I'm talking about, just in case I missed something in translation.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/TRAP400-933-2160.html

Oldnamvet
November 17, 2007, 07:50 PM
Some, referred to by some as foot traps, are released by looping a cord around your foot and giving it a little tug. Not as convenient as having someone else launching things but at least you can do it solo if you want. Then after each launch, you have to recock it and put some more clays on it for the next shot.

Gingerbreadman
November 17, 2007, 08:51 PM
A month ago I was out with some friends using one of these. After a while, se attached it to a golf club and had the thrower stan on a hill. They go farther that way....

distra
November 17, 2007, 09:29 PM
These are the things I'm talking about, just in case I missed something in translation.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/TRAP400-933-2160.html

PAckman, you are correct. That's the one we picked up at Wally world. Great little trap launcher. String broke rather quick, but that's an easy fix. Spare tire worked a little better than stuck in the ground. We put through 200+ clays before we knew it. Wife was able to hit these much better than out of the skeet house. Built her confidence with the shotgun.

CajunBass
November 18, 2007, 07:05 AM
My ex and I used to have access to an abandoned gravel pit for shooting. We started off on a hand trarp then quickly realized it was somewhat limiting. We purchased a spring loaded trap (it was by Outers IIRC, this was a long time ago.) and from then on that thing, a case of clay pegions and a case of 12ga shells was pretty much always in the back of the Bronco. All we had to do was stop by the house to pick up the 1100's and off we went.

That was a long time ago. Wife Version 3.0 loves to shoot handguns and rifles. ummmm Maybe I need to get one of those little hand traps again. :D

lepmik
March 13, 2008, 09:20 PM
I'm going to shoot some clays with friends tomorrow using one of the red hand throwers. I can launch them with great accuracy with the thing, but some people can't seem to get the hang out of it. Once you do, it's unbelievable how far you can throw them. It's really fun if you don't shoot enough to warrant buying a mechanical thrower.

The reason I brought this thread up was to ask a question-- which choke would most likely be best for hand thrown clays? I don't really know how it compares to a proper skeet or trap thrower. I have the modified choke in, but I also have IC and full chokes.

Dave McCracken
March 13, 2008, 09:48 PM
Modified is my default choke, try that and see how the clays break.

If you get frequent smoke, go to IC.

If hits are chippy, go to Full.

chas08
March 14, 2008, 08:31 AM
I have both the hand thrower and a cheap spring thrower from Wal-Mart and they both work really well. I cant throw more than about 25 birds with the hand thrower before my shoulder gives out. I went a step further with the spring thrower and drilled a couple of extra holes in the front leg of the base so it could be rotated with the spikes parallel to the ground. Then with a short piece of all-thread rod and two wing nuts you can mount it to your spare tire through a lug hole for a good sturdy base. It works great. I think you can even buy them like that now. As for choke. I'm with Dave on that one, modified is my first choice.:)

plumberroy
March 14, 2008, 12:42 PM

Banana Moon Pies and slinging them for dawgs is just too much fun!

Dawgs cannot have chocolate, still Banana Moon Pies and similar dawg safe treats slung...

Sometimes life is not always about shooting...It is for the dawgs!

May be my beagles would not pout for 2 hours after, not getting to shake what ever was shot while they were in the box, If I slung them a moon pie:D
It is their belief that if I shoot it They should shake it. and take it as a personal insult it they don't get to
roy

dagger dog
March 14, 2008, 04:42 PM
You have to be aware that the hand throw device is very slow compared to a trap. If you consantly shoot clays that are hand thrown then go to the mechanical trap you will be late on a lot of birds.Best to save your $ and go with a medium priced trap that you can adjust.

chris in va
March 16, 2008, 03:36 AM
Hey, have you guys seen that thrower that's completely foot operated?

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0012730221110a&navCount=1&podId=0012730&parentId=cat601042&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=MainCatcat602007-cat601042&catalogCode=IJ&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601042&hasJS=true

Looks interesting, probably a lot easier to operate than the hand-cocked version from WalMart I tried...and returned.

KD5NRH
March 16, 2008, 04:17 AM
Now that someone mentioned those do-all traps, how are those?

Great, especially if you have a place to just leave it set up. I wouldn't want to haul it around all the time, and my 835 (28" barrel, full choke) is still dusting the clays when they're skimming grass at the end of their flight, (when I manage to hit them, that is) so I'd like to find a way to add a bit to its range, but I've had a lot of fun with mine.

Sharpdogs
March 16, 2008, 08:11 AM
I use them all the time. Definitely gets a best buy rating from me. As a previous poster mentioned it is definitely not a good tool for someone with a shoulder or elbow injury.

lepmik
March 16, 2008, 04:11 PM
Update: I started out with the modified choke and did OK. Moved onto the full choke and did OK.

Verdict: I'm not nearly good enough for the choke to make a difference. :)

Regarding the speed of the clays from a hand-thrower-- in my experience it has been as fast or faster than out of the machines at the skeet/trap range I've been to.

Had a great day shooting, btw. On WIDE open privately owned land, took .22, 9mm, .380, shotguns, and most importantly, our friend's new .460 magnum. A literal blast! Not even close to being painful to shoot; rather, it's weight made it quite pleasant, even with .460's. .45's felt like nothing. The muzzle blast and report were sure something else, though!

If you enjoyed reading about "Hand-thrown Trap" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!