20,000 Round 1911?

PDA

Browns Fan
November 18, 2007, 01:14 PM
I have heard that Kimber has rated their aluminum frame guns at 20.000 rds. Has any of you tested this rating? How has your aluminum frame 1911 held up after so many rds, regardless of who made it?

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "20,000 Round 1911?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dstorm1911
November 18, 2007, 01:22 PM
I have a colt officers model with Al frame that I've had since 1985 thats got well over 25K or even more (it was used when I got it so no telling how many the previous owner put through it) I've had to replace the barrel twice and both mags, one broken sear and a wore out slide stop the frame is still good but most of the black has worn off

esheato
November 18, 2007, 01:34 PM
I have. I have a Kimber Pro CDP that I used for IDPA for a few years. There was a stretch of 10 months that I was putting down 2k reloads/month.

I haven't had any problems with it. The finish on the frame is getting thin in some spots and the mouth of the mag well is a bit beat up but that is to be expected with daily carry over 4+ years.

I also have a mutt of a gun (1911 govt) that Bruce Gray pieced together on an Essex frame. Figure 1k/month for a few years, at least before I cracked the slide rail above the slide release. Took a dremel and cut the offending piece out and smoothed it up. It ran another year or two before I finally saw the multiple hairline cracks on the dust cover in front of the trigger guard.

The Kimber is still a daily carry gun and it's running strong. The mutt has been retired and is holding a well-deserved spot in my safe. I've since replaced it with an Ed Brown but I'm kinda hesitant to beat on that one too much.

Ed

If you enjoyed reading about "20,000 Round 1911?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!