Which .40 S&W to buy?

PDA

Tom Nichols
November 18, 2007, 04:03 PM
I'd like to buy a .40 S&W and I'm on a budget of $550. I am left-handed, and although a gun being ambidextrous would be nice, it is not a must.

I'd use it 40% for target shooting, 60% as a sidearm at my hunting lease, and 100% for protection whenever it's with me. I do not carry.

Aside from "go out and shoot them all and see which one suits you," does anyone have any recommendations?

If you enjoyed reading about "Which .40 S&W to buy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Autolycus
November 18, 2007, 04:05 PM
I would save a little more and get an HK P2000 in .40 S&W.

AtticusThraxx
November 18, 2007, 04:26 PM
Tom, I've been looking at these and I'm impressed though I haven't shot one. Looking at maybe picking one up after Christmas is paid for.

http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=106&category=Pistol

Finalizer
November 18, 2007, 04:30 PM
You might want to take a look at the S&W M&P.

Vito_Corleone
November 18, 2007, 04:35 PM
HK USPf, SIG P226 or SIG P229. All used, obviously.

curmudgeon and anarchist
November 18, 2007, 04:52 PM
Glock 22 or 23. 23 is a great carry choice.

ArchAngelCD
November 18, 2007, 04:58 PM
The Beretta Model 96 or the Beretta 90-Two.

If you are looking for a Budget .40 S&W without it being cheap than take a look at the Stoeger Couger (http://www.stoegerindustries.com/firearms/cougar8000.tpl). It has a MSRP of only $370 and it's getting very good reviews.

jdc1244
November 18, 2007, 05:13 PM
My CZ 75B has been completely reliable.

Pops 1
November 18, 2007, 05:14 PM
Look at the Beretta PX4. Pops

Richard Simmons
November 18, 2007, 05:20 PM
The only dedicated .40 S&W I have.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y77/rsim20011/G35.jpg

Glock G35

The longer barrel and sight plane really help get the most out of you and your ammo. The stock 3.5 disconnector, extended slide and mag releases are very nice. You also have the rail if you want to add a light or laser for home defense use. Mine was $450, lightly used with three 15rd mags. Something to consider.

joe4702
November 18, 2007, 05:25 PM
G23. Get a 9mm conversion barrel for lower-cost range practice, drop in a .357 Sig barrel if you're interested in trying that cal and slap on a .22 conversion kit for cheap plinking. Very versatile.

tnieto2004
November 18, 2007, 05:27 PM
Check the CZ 75 .. You may like it

nerfsrule2
November 18, 2007, 05:46 PM
I Like my Glock 23.Accessories are everywhere. I Added an extended mag and slide release.Later I put on Crimson trace laser grips. You can now get 13 round Glock Mags for it. It is my nightstand gun, but I shoot it all the time to keep used to the trigger pull. (I also shoot a lot of revolvers) It is accurate and you can CC it if you like.

surfinUSA
November 18, 2007, 05:47 PM
G23 or a sig 239

michiganfan
November 18, 2007, 06:01 PM
G23 my daily carry

Spyvie
November 18, 2007, 06:41 PM
The FN FNP-40 is well within your price range, has an ambidextrous de-cocker and a reversible mag catch, comes with 3 hi cap mags ...and you can send away for a free holster.

http://www.fnhusa.com/products/firearms/family.asp?fid=FNF019&gid=FNG001

http://www.handgunforum.net/showthread.php?t=7361 (login required)

Coming from me this is far from an “expert recommendation”, but as a long time enthusiast who is fairly new to modern (plastic) semi-auto pistols, I couldn't be happier with my new FNP-9.

YMMV

lee n. field
November 18, 2007, 06:42 PM
The XD has an ambidextrous magazine release.

Blarelli
November 18, 2007, 07:35 PM
I was looking at a 24/7 from taurus the other day and I was really impressed. I'm thinking about maybe getting the .40 compact version.

DMK
November 18, 2007, 07:37 PM
CDNN has CZ40Bs for just under $300. It uses CZ75B mags(although the ones it comes with have different baseplates). I love mine. A very underrated handgun.

http://mysite.verizon.net/dmk0210/myarms/CZ-40B.JPG

txgolfer45
November 18, 2007, 08:09 PM
G23 since you are looking for a carry weapon. Or, you could get the little brother G27.

Bill B.
November 18, 2007, 08:17 PM
All the recommendations you have gotten have been good ones. S&W 3 rd. generation autos are available that are police trade in's that are priced very cheaply for what you get. You might wish to look for a S&W 4006, or a 4046 ... first has a safety and the latter DAO in all stainless.

Lonestar49
November 18, 2007, 08:22 PM

400 - 500 bucks, NIB

Beretta Px4 40cal

Look here in another thread, photo:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=317238

Ls

james_bond
November 18, 2007, 08:29 PM
I came mighty close to getting an XD in .40 S&W but went for the XD in .45 acp at the last second. The XD is very ambi-frendly too, I love my XD, check them out.

25ACP
November 18, 2007, 09:09 PM
I got my SIG P-229 for exactly $550 as a factory refurbished. I have not tried other .40s but the SIG is crazy accurate and you can buy the .357 SIG barrel and convert back and forth easily. If you want to save some money, look at Hi-Point, they are ugly, heavy, and often maligned here and elsewhere, but my C-9 has exhibited nothing but excellent reliability and reasonably good accuracy, and you can purchase 4 of them with an unconditional lifetime warranty for the price of 1 SIG. Some have mentioned S&W; My FFL rails on the S&W automatics, and says they are all junk, and he definately knows more about guns than I do, but my personal experience with S&W is limited to revolvers (which I find to be excellent firearms), The only exception being my buddys' Sigma 6 which is chambered for 9mm but is also available in .40S&W, which has performed quite well whenever he or I shoot it and is available for under $300. Of course the Glock is always an excellent choice, but I personally find them to be even uglier than Hi-Point, although certainly higher quality. And just a warning about the .357 SIG barrels - I am told that many dedicated .40 guns, that is, guns designed around the .40S&W, do not have the strenght to hold up to long term firing with the .357 SIG, whereas the 229 was designed around the cartridge and has the strength to put hundreds of thousands of rounds downrange without suffering any significant damage. I have not tested this theory myself, but perhaps another member with more knowledge could elaborate on the subject? Either way, if you're willing to plop down five bills, you could do a lot worse than SIG P-229

andrewshogun
November 19, 2007, 03:35 PM
i'm a lefty myself - S&W M&P40 is what I recommend. I almost bought one .... but decided against it due to overlap with my XD40.

Exmasonite
November 19, 2007, 05:15 PM
Couple thoughts:

1) love my XD .40. Ambi mag release but slide release only on left side of frame.

2) Bersa Thunder Series has ambi controls. Underappreciated little gun, very reliable and great (lifetime) warranty. Give you a lot of extra $$ for holster, ammo, etc.

3) Recent thread on HK USP here:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=316453&highlight=HK+variant
some of the variants have right sided controls. not sure how easy to track down but might be worth the effort. very nice guns (but probably a little over the $$ for a new one unless you're VERY lucky finding a used ones w/ lefty controls)

MD_Willington
November 19, 2007, 08:09 PM
If it's for punching holes in targets and for out in the bush hunting, find a used S&W 4006 in good shape...

kd7nqb
November 19, 2007, 08:31 PM
As the proud owner of a Smith and Wesson M&P .40 I say thats the right choice, plus right now they have a great promo where you get 50bucks back AND 2 additional mags so you end up with 4 magazines.

KrankyKraut
November 20, 2007, 12:25 AM
I'd go with a gun that was designed as a .40 to begin with, such as the Beretta or Stoeger Cougar 8040, CZ 40P, the Steyr M40 or the SIG P229, rather than a gun that was engineered to be a 9mm, and then later adapted for the .40 caliber.

JHansenAK47
November 20, 2007, 12:50 AM
xd40 good pistol with a growing aftermarket parts following.

Pimpstar00
November 20, 2007, 01:50 AM
I would go with a cpo sig 229. built like a tank.

cougar1717
November 20, 2007, 04:47 PM
As a lefty, I've shot a Beretta 96 and an HK P2000 SK, both of which are great ambidextrous guns. The 'SK' is too small for your application, but a regular P2000 would fit your need. The best thing to do is to go to a gun store that doesn't mind if you handle a lot of guns and see which ones fit your hand and which ones are easily operated left handed (not all guns labeled "ambidextrous" are easy to operate left handed).

Hokkmike
November 20, 2007, 07:05 PM
I am an oddball, but I have a Steyr M-40 and Beretta 9000sf. The latter is on sale at Gander Mt. (until Weds.) for $350. They also add one extra year to the warranty AFTER the Beretta warranty is gone. Total price is well under $400.

The Steyr M-40 A1 might be a good choice.

Both guns have their critics but I am as happy as a clam.

Fabius
November 22, 2007, 09:11 AM
The FN FNP-40 is well within your price range, has an ambidextrous de-cocker and a reversible mag catch, comes with 3 hi cap mags ...and you can send away for a free holster.

I bought an FNP-40 recently and have around 500 rounds through it. I also own a Glock 23 with several thousand rounds through it. For me, the FNP is more comfortable to shoot, points more naturally and has an external hammer with decocker, which I like for a carry gun. DA trigger is smooth and not too long. My initial impression is that the FNP is well made and reliable. I'm more accurate with it than with the Glock. Disassembly is easier with the FNP and the grip is thinner and much less blockier than the Glock.

On the other hand, the Glock has been every bit as reliable as its reputation would suggest. Several thousand rounds without a single hiccup and the gun still looks brand new. I don't like the grip angle on the Glock, it has more felt recoil than the FNP, the finger grooves don't fit my hand well and the trigger/housing rub the bottom of my trigger finger raw.

In summary, the Glock has proven reliability, but the FNP is more fun and more comfortable to shoot.

eagle45
November 22, 2007, 06:50 PM
Another XD fan here. I have the 40 caliber in the sub compact, the service model and the tactical model. I recently purchased an XD 45 compact, and in all honesty it would be my first recommendation. However, since you specified the 40 caliber, I would say either the service (4") or tactical (5") model work work well for the uses you mentioned and should fall within your budget.

The XDs are super reliable and a wide variety of holsters and accessories are available.

buttrap
November 23, 2007, 12:28 AM
I opted for the CZ-75

possum
November 23, 2007, 12:45 AM
i suggest the xd service model for the parameters that you listed. the xd has the ambi mag release that will help out alot since you are left handed.

Srigs
November 23, 2007, 12:50 AM
A M&P 40 full size would be a good choice. Dual slide release leavers and flip-able mag release all for 500 or less. Right now you can get a $50 rebate and 2 extra mags.

I have a 40 compact that is 100% reliable.

JP from Phoenix
November 23, 2007, 01:03 AM
for that price I'd probably go for a CZ-75 chambered in a 40

if money wasn't an issue I would go for one on those Browning Hi Powers, now those are sweet. You could probably get one used for around that price

Z71
November 23, 2007, 01:12 AM
I have a police trade in S&W 4046 DA only .40 caliber myself. A superb pistol, but maybe not in production anymore. My business partner has a Springfield XD40 pistol. And I have fired it quite a bit. He likes it, I like it too!

If I needed another .40 caliber pistol, would probably be the XD40.

DHart
November 23, 2007, 04:39 AM
Another strong vote for the Glock 23. Awesome combination of compact size, high capacity for size, simplicity of operation, reliability AND durability in spades. Time tested, street proven for many years. Install a smooth-faced trigger and a 3.5# connector (which gives about a 5# trigger pull) and the gun is a sweet defender indeed.

I also have a S&W M&P 40 Compact, which feels great in the hand, but I've had incredibly persistent and recurring mag drop problems with mine... makes me leery to recommend the M&P just yet - I like the M&P but, personally, don't feel they're quite ready for prime time - just yet. Also the capacity with the M&P 40 Compact is just 10+1 while the capacity in my G23, which I find relatively comparable in size, is 13+1. Having three more rounds on tap before a reload is ALWAYS a most welcome thing! I love my G23; it's become my most carried pistol of the many different and suitable carry gun models I have available.

12Bravo20
November 23, 2007, 01:02 PM
I was looking at a 24/7 from Taurus the other day and I was really impressed. I'm thinking about maybe getting the .40 compact version.

I have a 24/7 Pro C in .40 and really like it.

http://www.kilroy-was-here.org/Taurs%20247b.jpg

Hastings
November 23, 2007, 01:21 PM
I have an FN Hi Power SFS in 40 S&W. I picked it up, new, for around $460 a few years ago. It has been absolutely reliable, with no issues feeding hollow points or flat-nose rounds. It is also the most accurate handgun I have ever shot. I use to put 1500 rounds thru various handguns (before I was married and had lots of discretionary income). I am sure that may of the revolvers and autos I fired were capable of greater accuracy than I could get out of them, but I had found the Ruger Blackhawks and other long barreled revolvers to be the most accurate. That was until I got the FN. It will consistently out-shoot any other pistol I have owned, or own, out to 25 yards. It could be the combination of the sight picture, ergonomics, and trigger pull (which has not been worked on). The pistol still has the mag safety, which I have not found troublesome. Obviously, the accuracy is purely subjective, but I have owned or used Colts, Detonics, Sigs, Rugers, HK's S&W revolvers and autos, Walthers, and Beretta's. For me, the FN Hi-Power has been the best (at least for first shot, or multiple slow fired shots). For fast double taps and multiple shot strings, I found the Detonics to be the best for me.

DHart
November 23, 2007, 01:47 PM
Following on Hastings... I completely forgot to mention my Browning Hi-Power forties... I have two, one high polished blue and the other hard chromed (silverchrome they call it). They are incredible guns and would be my first choice for a non-carry forty... with the only caveat that their capacity sucks compared to the GLocks. But they are quite wonderful to shoot - especially if they get a trigger job by someone like Don Williams. THe stock triggers are pretty heavy, but someone like Don can make the Hi-Power trigger pull almost as nice as a 1911 and that's saying a LOT! If they only had better capacity, I could really give them the best recommendation. I am a believer in having as much capacity as you can reasonably get before a reload. In a defense encounter, misses are as common or moreso as hits, and multiple "good" hits are very important for quicker stops, AND if there's more than one assailant, you're going to want as many rounds on tap before a reload as you can get. Thats why my 1911s and Hi-Powers (as great as they are) are NOT my primary choices for carry. The Hi-Power is too big and heavy for a carry gun, in my opinion, and is very low on capacity, but awesome otherwise. Now back to my revered, all-around-great carry gun.... the Glock 23.

.45&TKD
November 23, 2007, 07:59 PM
Buy a used Glock 22 from Summit Gunbroker for $329 and use the rest to load up on mags and ammo.

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/1966886.html

TallCanTactical
November 23, 2007, 09:59 PM
Buy a used g22 or g23 from Summit GunBroker and either save some money, or splurge and get a couple of extra mags!!! Personally, for carrying through the woods and as a bedside gun, I think the g23 would be your best bet. Compact size with capacity in the mags... good luck with your choice!!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Which .40 S&W to buy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!