Shooters with hearing aids

PDA

Poodleshooter
July 18, 2003, 03:42 PM
I just took a partially deaf guy who had never fired a gun before to the range with me. He has about 25% of the "standard" range of hearing, and requires the use of a hearing aid. I was wondering, does anyone know if the hearing aid could be damaged by the sound of gunfire. We weren't sure if he could use it under his muffs or not. It would make communication somewhat easier, as communicating range commands is somewhat difficult otherwise under muffed conditions on the firing line.
Any other hints or helps from shooters with this disability as far as training new shooters?
thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Shooters with hearing aids" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
manwithoutahome
July 18, 2003, 06:16 PM
We have an older gentleman who goes to the range that I go to and he asked his doc about that.

The thing the doc told me to do was to NOT use the hearing aid (more prone to pick up the sharp sounds of the ammo going off and will damage the aid and the ear even more) and that if he needed or was with someone who was giving directions, come up with some hand signals.

The doc is very pro-gun and shoots at the same range.

Solution: a simple hand signal plan was made up. Any indepth instruction was made outside the shooting rooms or away from the outside benches.

Also, the "uh oh" horn that is used when someone really messes up (or are about too) can be heard by even the deafest person, with or without aids :).

M

matbas
July 19, 2003, 09:49 AM
I wear hearing aids in both of my ears. I keep them in while shooting. I do wear electronic ear protection while shooting. I might note that my hearing aids are totally in my ear as compared to the style that sits on the back of the ear. It might be more difficult to wear hearing protection with "behind the ear" type hearing aids.

Hearing aids won't be damaged from loud sounds but just like anyone else, your friend needs to wear hearing protection to protect the remaining hearing he still has.

Croyance
July 19, 2003, 04:22 PM
Maybe a silly question, but wouldn't it be better to not amplify the sounds of gunfire into what is left of his hearing?

Mastrogiacomo
July 19, 2003, 07:35 PM
No Croyance, they turn them off and put the muffs over them; it'd be stupid to leave them on. I wear aids in both ears and according to my audiologist -- people with nerve deafness are more sensitive to loud noise. It's a common idea for people with hearing aids to think of using them as plugs with the muffs but they just don't work well. I remove mine and put in soft plugs with the muffs. It's a pain but hearing aids aren't meant for this.

A good suggestion, have your audiologist make fitted plugs for the range. They can be expensive or not -- if you just want regular plugs or the the kind that allow you to turn them up later to hear what someone is screaming at you....:p They just allow sound in but they're still plugs so you hear what you hear. The advantage is they fit the ear completely to shut out sounds and can be worn alone or with muffs. I hope to have this made for me soon. If your friend is leaving the aid on -- that's truly dumb. Protect your hearing no matter how much or little you have.

ralphtt
July 19, 2003, 07:56 PM
Modern in-the-ear hearing aids don't amplify extremely loud noises like gunfire. Rather, they shut off and essentially act as earplugs. I wear mine with electronic muffs and they work fine. Helps to hear range commands.

Mastrogiacomo
July 19, 2003, 09:10 PM
I'd like to hear this from an audiologist. Also remember, women react to noises more than men -- not an issue for your friend I know. But man or woman -- use some common sense and keep your hearing aids for afterwards and do plugs and ear muffs -- like your doctors always tell you to but you ignore....

ralphtt
July 19, 2003, 09:28 PM
mastro . . . maybe you need to investigate the advantages of modern, digital hearing aids that are properly designed. They cut off at certain levels of noise and do not amplify these loud noises. . . period.

Check it out . . . While you're at it, think about the folks that make the Walker game ear devices designed to amplify noises while hunting; and then offer ear protection when you shoot.

Modern technology is wonderful, ain't it? :)

Mastrogiacomo
July 20, 2003, 08:30 AM
I've looked into it somewhat -- hard to get past the price....:what: and of course what people say: "It's just like real hearing!" I was born this why so I've no idea what "real hearing" would be so how can I compare? :scrutiny: If I do get somewhere in the ball park I'd like to get rid of the behind the ear hearing-aids. They're a real pain at the range...

P.S. Just curious -- how much did you have to pay for yours?

If you enjoyed reading about "Shooters with hearing aids" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!