Ranier Plated Bullets...lower grain charge?

PDA

Shaner
November 18, 2007, 06:01 PM
I bought Ranier plated bullets for my guns chambered in .45ACP and .40SW. The .40 is 165gr. and the .45 is 230gr. My question is this:

I've been loading my rounds based on jacketed bullet charge recommendations. Every once in a while someone would tell me that I should be loading based on lead bullet charges, not jacketed.

I haven't seen any ill effects of my loads. However, all of my recipes are well below max loads. Usually, they're on the lower end because I load for plinking purposes, not for self defense or extreme accuracy for pistol.

Any inputs?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ranier Plated Bullets...lower grain charge?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Navy joe
November 18, 2007, 06:14 PM
I've always loaded Berry's plated starting with cast bullet loads. That said I don't think there is one answer, start with a safe load and work it up. With .45 and .40 you are not going to reach the 1200 FPS or so where the plating strips off. For me really light lead bullet recipes were a dirty mess, the plated bullets drive down the barrel easier than jacketed and probably even hard cast which seemed to make it hard for the light loads to develop full pressure.

rcmodel
November 18, 2007, 06:14 PM
http://www.berrysmfg.com/faq.php

From thier FAQ:
"*How do I load Berry's Preferred Plated Bullets?
Plated bullets occupy a position between cast bullets and jacketed bullets. They are soft lead, but have a hard outer shell on them. When loading plated bullets we have found best results using low- to mid-range jacketed data in the load manual. You must use data for a bullet that has the same weight and profile as the one you are loading. Do not exceed mid-range loads. Do not use magnum loads."

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j219/rcmodel/KTOG/1224.gif
rcmodel

Shaner
November 18, 2007, 06:24 PM
Thanks, RC.

I read the FAQ from Berry's when I was researching. I did get the same consensus when first started looking. The reason why I'm still asking is I wanted actual members' opinions on their experience reloading rather than website information. Not that they would put misinformation, but I kinda think they may be coverintg their posteriors...

JoeHatley
November 18, 2007, 06:58 PM
Every once in a while someone would tell me that I should be loading based on lead bullet charges, not jacketed.

They are correct. For the last two years I've been shooting Rainier plated bullets exclusively(25k rounds +). Jacketed bullet loads can be way to hot/fast. In general hard cast lead loads wil work best.

The no longer availble Rainier load sheet is on it's way to you.

Joe

Luggernut
November 18, 2007, 10:32 PM
I also don't use max loads for my rounds- so although I use mostly plated now... I usually use the same loads for FMJ and plated. My loads fall in the middle to low side of the recommended charge for FMJ fwiw.

I also chrono'd some .45ACP rounds with all the same loads, primers, etc... except some bullets for FMJ and some were Berrys. From what I recall the Berry's were about 25 ft/sec faster. These were rounds that were under 800 ft/sec so not hot at all.

shadowalker
November 18, 2007, 10:46 PM
Plated fit between lead and jacketed, they don't lead the barrel (at least in
my experience) so they can be pushed faster.

I've shot 3500 165 40 S&W around 1050 FPS without any trouble.

Berrysmfg says keep them below 1200 FPS, and load low to mid range jacketed, I've done so and haven't had any trouble with them at all.

Shaner
November 19, 2007, 08:11 PM
Thanks for providing y'all's experiences. I wanted to exhaust all sources of information before blindly continuing my reloading procedures.

I'm anxiously awaiting...:)

RyanM
November 19, 2007, 08:19 PM
Just to make sure you know, the main problem with loading plated bullets too hot is not that they'll blow up the gun or anything, it's that they don't grip the rifling quite as well as jacketed bullets, so you may have stabilization and accuracy problems at higher velocities.

I thought it was a pressure thing at first, which made no sense.

Anyway, I've tried Berry's bullets over book max jacketed .40 S&W loads, never had problems except they tend to get dented from running into the front of the magazine under recoil. Even with the dents, they group just as well as anything else I've shot.

harmonic
November 19, 2007, 08:20 PM
I actually called Ranier on this very topic and the lady I talked to said to simply follow data for lead bullets. That's what I do and have been very satisfied.

RyanM
November 19, 2007, 08:22 PM
Crap. Browser locked up, first post didn't show up right away, tried posting again, and got a double post.

Walkalong
November 19, 2007, 08:31 PM
I thought it was a pressure thing at first, which made no sense.

Oh but it is. When Accurates data for Raniers was still available on Raniers site it was plain to see.

I routinely run Raniers and Berry's at 80 to 90, and occasionally 100% of jacketed data, but you can run into problems if you are not carefull. I have the Accurate data as well as the Midway data (multiple powder companies products), (only because I printed a hard copy), from when it was posted on Raniers site which is a big help.

Vihtavuori has a little bit of data for Raniers in their online data as well.

You don't have to stick to slow lead data, but you can't get carried away either.

RyanM
November 19, 2007, 08:35 PM
Pretty sure plated bullets will usually have lower pressures for a given charge, though. In a lot of calibers, the max lead load is higher than the max jacketed one.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/RecipeDetail.aspx?title=Pistols%20and%20Revolvers&gtypeid=1&weight=158&shellid=1017&bulletid=41

vs.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/RecipeDetail.aspx?title=Pistols%20and%20Revolvers&gtypeid=1&weight=160&shellid=1017&bulletid=42

Everything but Red Dot and Blue dot are .1 grain higher for lead.

Pumpkinheaver
November 19, 2007, 08:38 PM
I always use lead data when loading plated bullets.

HighVelocity
November 19, 2007, 09:00 PM
Ranier's plating is softer than Berry's. I used Jacket bullet data for Berry's and Lead data for Ranier.

rsracer65
November 19, 2007, 09:10 PM
I have been using 4.5 grains of Red Dot behind the 230 gr RN Rainiers for about 25k round with no problems and very good accuracy. Light recoil as well. ;)

Adam

cpaspr
November 19, 2007, 09:39 PM
Rainier themselves. They say at: http://www.rainierballistics.com/mainframe.htm Click on the "Loading Data" button at the upper left.

We, at Rainier Ballistics, recommend using lead bullet load data when loading our bullets. There is no need for adjustment when using lead bullet load data. Our bullets are jacketed using an electroplating process and are softer than traditionally jacketed bullets; hence the recommendation to use lead bullet load data. If you only have access to traditionally jacketed load data, we recommend reducing maximum charge by 10%. A roll or taper crimp may be used with our bullets; do not over crimp.

This answers the original question.

I love getting in the last word! :D

(Okay, it may not be the last word. But it should be.) :neener:

PS: Shaner. Welcome to THR!

Quickdraw McGraw
November 20, 2007, 07:40 PM
Not sure if you've seen this.

http://www.members.aol.com/scoll63101/public/RanierMWdata.pdf

I reload 45 acp rainiers (mostly 230 gr RN) and I've used start with these loads. Never had a problem. Speaking of which I need to get down in the basement and roll some of these: http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee267/Metzy84/Rainiers1.jpg

Walkalong
November 20, 2007, 08:41 PM
That jar of .45 230 Gr. RN bullets is a thing of beauty. :D

That's the Midway data I was talking about Quickdraw. I wish I had the PDF of the Accurate data with Raniers, but I just have the hard copy I printed years ago.

Shaner
November 20, 2007, 08:48 PM
Got some catchin' up to do...

And my anxiety is over...just received your email. Thanks Hatley. It's good to get data for reference from several sources to make sure I'm on the right track...

Just to make sure you know, the main problem with loading plated bullets too hot is not that they'll blow up the gun or anything, it's that they don't grip the rifling quite as well as jacketed bullets, so you may have stabilization and accuracy problems at higher velocities.

Ryan,
I was aware of that, but appreciate you posting this. Others that lurk may not have...thanks. Actually, I didn't know about the lack of grip on rifling compared to jacketed....hmmmm...

Vihtavuori has a little bit of data for Raniers in their online data as well.

Thanks, Walkalong. I think I will pick up some Vihtavuori someday after completing my experiments with HS-6, HP38, Universal, Tite-Group, AA#5, and AA#2 Improved. This may sound like a long time before I get to it, but I like to try different things all the time...

I have been using 4.5 grains of Red Dot behind the 230 gr RN Rainiers for about 25k round with no problems and very good accuracy. Light recoil as well.

The above statement goes for you as well, Adam.

PS: Shaner. Welcome to THR!

Thanks, cpaspr. Like being here. I love TFL, but THR is a great place, too...

Not sure if you've seen this.(Ranier load data)

Quickdraw,
Hatley beat you to the punch. I do appreciate you digging that up, though... And, you can just go ahead and ship that jug of Rainiers over to my place. I have a home for each and every one of those buggers...;)

Ranier's plating is softer than Berry's. I used Jacket bullet data for Berry's and Lead data for Ranier.

Velocity, that I didn't know. Does that mean Berry's is necessarily better, or just the way it is? I do know that I have to expand my case mouths a little bit more than I do for jacketed bullets. Wonder if Berry's is the way to go...

Chief-7700
November 21, 2007, 07:11 PM
I have attached Rainier's old reloading date in a PDF.
Chief-7700

XD-40 Shooter
November 21, 2007, 07:47 PM
I'm currently loading 155 grain Rainier's in 40 S&W with 6.5 grains of Unique, gives me 1080 fps out of my XD, no problems at all. Its a good, accurate load.

Jumpin4Joy
February 9, 2008, 10:34 PM
The Rainier pdf file ommits the load data for .38 spl. I'm loading HS-6 7.6 grn, Rainier 125 grn FP. Seems to shoot fine. Anyone see a problem with this?

ArchAngelCD
February 10, 2008, 03:23 AM
Jumpin4Joy,
7.6gr HS-6 is a very hot load for a .38 Special. Hodgdon recommends a Max charge of 7.2gr HS-6 for a 125gr Jacketed bullet but Rainier bullets aren't Jacketed, they are Plated. From what I've read Plated bullets are soft like Lead bullets and you should use load data for Lead bullets with Rainier bullets. I wouldn't use HS-6 for Rainier or Lead bullets because it's not really an ideal powder for that use. I would suggest W231/HP-38 or Clays for the bullet you are using or at least cut the charge of HS-6 you are using. Rainier recommends cutting the Max charge from Jacketed bullet load data by 10% if Lead load data isn't available. That would put your chagre of HS-6 at MAX of 6.5gr. You are within +P pressure range with a charge of 7.6gr IMO.

evan price
February 10, 2008, 08:40 AM
I load Rainier 230-gr RN for my .45's originally with cast data, but I started bumping it up to JHP levels because even at that charge the .45 is still a slow bullet. When going to a hotter load you need to be especially careful of the crimp; if you over crimp a plated bullet it will cut the plating material and at fast velocity you will actually strip the plating off as it leaves the barrel.
RIght now I load 4.7 grains of Titegroup as a general hard-cast lead load (or Rainiers) however I have gotten good results from 5.1 grains of Titegroup under the 230-Rainiers as well with no ill effects.

aka108
February 10, 2008, 10:03 AM
I load the plated bullets same as lead. Not concerned about a few feet per second one way or another at 15 and 25 yards.

Jumpin4Joy
February 10, 2008, 06:44 PM
ArchAngelCD;

Why is W231/HP-38 or Clays more suitable for Rainer bullets? Also, do you lube Rainier bullets or do they come pre-lubed? I'm careful not to overcrimp and have been setting the bullet about .21 since I have no cannalure to judge the seating depth. The COL is just under the 1.455.

Jeff

evan price
February 10, 2008, 08:19 PM
No lube required for Rainiers- they are plated with copper like a FMJ.

glockgod
February 10, 2008, 08:58 PM
Loading 9mm 147 Rainiers. Started with 3.5gr Unique and stopped at 4gr testing each batch with the Chrony. At 4grs I'm getting about 950 fps with reliable function. Thats as close to factory velocity as I'll ever need.

ArchAngelCD
February 10, 2008, 11:25 PM
Originally Posted By Jumpin4Joy:
ArchAngelCD;

Why is W231/HP-38 or Clays more suitable for Rainer bullets? Also, do you lube Rainier bullets or do they come pre-lubed? I'm careful not to overcrimp and have been setting the bullet about .21 since I have no cannalure to judge the seating depth. The COL is just under the 1.455.

Jeff
Like already mentioned, no lube needed on a Plated or Jacketed bullet.

Like I said in my post, Plated bullets are soft like Lead bullets so powders that work well with Lead bullets will also work well with Plated bullets. Clays and W231/HP-38 are good powders for Lead .45 Auto rounds so they will also work well with Rainier bullets. That holds even more true for .38 Special rounds IMO since I think W231 is a great powder for the .38 Special and Lead bullets.

Jeff,
If you charge 4.0gr W231 under that 125gr Rainier bullet for a light target round I think you will be very happy. If you want something with a little more velocity you can always jump the charge up to the 4.8gr Max. For the .38 Special I shoot 125 LRN bullets with a 4.0gr charge of W231, 148gr DEWC bullets with a 3.5gr charge of W231 and 158gr LSWC bullets with a charge of 3.4gr W231. All those loads will work well for light target ammo with a Rainier bullet. (by light I mean under 900 fps)

Jumpin4Joy
February 11, 2008, 06:50 AM
ArchAngelCD;

Thanks for your time in responding. Good information.

Jeff

ArchAngelCD
February 11, 2008, 02:42 PM
You're welcome, I don't mind at all. I learned a lot of what I know from asking questions. I'm still learning every day and don't mind sharing since that's how I and many others have gotten much of their information. That's what this is all about!

Just one more note.... Make sure you keep good records of everything you do. There's no need to do something this year, forget you did it and do it again next year. You will find that your best source of data will be your own notes.

Jumpin4Joy
February 12, 2008, 06:33 AM
I loaded 1 box of Rainer FN 125 grn with 6.5 grn HS-6 per recommendation. The entire box shot flawlessly.

ArchAngelCD
February 12, 2008, 04:08 PM
Good work, I'm glad that charge worked out for you... :D

Urbana John
February 12, 2008, 05:32 PM
I've been using Rainier bullets lately because of the cost factory. Usually would buy Speer for pistol bullets, but I use the same amount of Unique for both 9mm loads.
In fact----I load 9's for a friend, and he wanted them a little "hotter".
My load is 5.5 grs. of Unique and his is 5.8 grs. AND he shoots them in his GLOCK!!!! Probably has shot 2 to 3 K rounds of reloads in IDPA matches, with NO problems.
I run my reloads thru a Beretta 92 and Beretta Storm and I can't tell any difference between the Rainier 115 HPs. and the Speer 115 JHPs.
Rainier makes a "pretty" good "plated" bullet IMHO

UJ

bobotech
February 13, 2008, 12:41 AM
I loaded up 50 Ranier 158 grain bullets for 357 mag last week. I loaded them up hot too, 15.3 grains of H110. My 357mag Desert Eagle won't cycle with anything less than hot loads.

They shot fine and functioned fine in the gun and the accuracy didn't appear to suffer.

I'm not so sure I will load them that hot again.

twodawgs
December 2, 2008, 03:30 PM
This thread looks like it's been dormant for a long time. Does anyone know if the data in that PDF file is still legit.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=317439

Thanks

Chief-7700
December 2, 2008, 03:46 PM
I still used the PDF data for reloading. Never had a problem.
Chief

Steve in PA
December 2, 2008, 05:07 PM
I've been using the same data for my Rainier bullets that I do for regular FMJ's bullets for years.

7.0gr of HS6 for 115gr 9mm and 6.0gr of Unique for 230gr .45acp.

RustyFN
December 2, 2008, 05:50 PM
I have only used them in 9mm but have always loaded with the same load as jacketed. Damn Quickdraw you need to put up a warning before you post pictures like that, I almost had a heart attack.:D
Rusty

Walkalong
December 2, 2008, 06:10 PM
It is good data. As always, start low and work up. :)

Blind Bat
December 3, 2008, 01:45 AM
Why does the PDF list FMJ and JHP bullets? Is this just MW's nomenclature for plated round nose / plated hollow point or did Rainier used to make jacketed bullets?

Edit:
I think Archive.org's version of the old data is easier to read than the PDF:
http://web.archive.org/web/20050502124831/http://www.rainierballistics.com/loaddataMW.htm

From that I'm guessing they used the jacketed terms as not to confuse people who weren't familiar with the differences between a plated and a jacketed bullet.

D. Manley
December 3, 2008, 12:52 PM
"...Oh but it is. When Accurates data for Raniers was still available on Raniers site it was plain to see."

Its still around, just have to dig a bit nowadays. "CLICK" (http://www.rainierballistics.com/old_pages/accuratearms.htm)

rockhound758
December 3, 2008, 07:44 PM
Wow, this site continues to impress me! Just been on here over a week now and I keep finding great stuff!

Chief, thanks for posting that load data for the Raniers. Much appreciated.

Take care all.

easyrider6042004@yahoo.ca
December 3, 2008, 10:02 PM
Just for fun, I loaded Rainier 125 grain .357 plated HPs over 13.0 grains Blue Dot in .357 magnum brass. Fired from my 18.5 inch barreled Marlin 1894, they were probably zipping along at least 1,600 fps. Unimpressive 5 inch groups at 50 meters using the stock iron buckhorn sights, not as bad as I expected considering Rainier's warnings to keep velocity below 1200 fps. Bullets seemed to be somewhat stabilized because the holes were still round.

Next range trip, I will try 158 grain Speer JHPs over 14.0 grains 2400, for accuracy comparison purposes.

rfwobbly
December 3, 2008, 11:29 PM
Just look closely at your targets. When you load too hot with plated bullets, the target will be speckled all around the bullet hole like you had double tapped with a "shot shell".

easyrider6042004@yahoo.ca
December 4, 2008, 12:22 AM
When you load too hot with plated bullets, the target will be speckled all around the bullet hole like you had double tapped with a "shot shell".

Negative on "speckling". Could be because the target was 50 meters away.
I'll look for speckling at 7 meters next time.

The Bushmaster
December 4, 2008, 12:13 PM
Rainier recommends using Jacketed bullet data and not exceed 1200 to 1250 fps. Nuff said...

I load Rainier plated HPs with great results. They make a great practice substitute for my hunting and self defense ammunition. Excellent accuracy and much more inexpensive.

tkrick
February 1, 2009, 02:30 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions for recipes for the above combo? I'm just getting started reloading and would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

skeetbum
February 1, 2009, 03:25 PM
what load would you use for 165 grain rainier looking to push a 40 s&w in the 900-1000 fps range? i use clays powder for all my 12 ga shotgun reloads and have plenty of it hanging around. i appreciate all input.

thanks,

skeet

Quickdraw McGraw
February 2, 2009, 06:59 AM
I used to have a sheet with load date but I can't find it. Here is a link (http://www.rainierballistics.com/mainframe.htm)to their website. Just load to lead spec's.

Redneck with a 40
February 2, 2009, 03:29 PM
I load my Ranier's in 40 S&W at the minimum jacketed data, works great for me. Hey skeet, try 6 grains of Unique, behind a 165 gr Ranier, this gives me right at 1000 fps on my chrono, good load.

w4zaz
June 9, 2009, 11:31 PM
what about info for glock 23 with rainier 135 gr jhp and bullseye

w4zaz
June 9, 2009, 11:33 PM
with Bullseye Powder

mongovb
July 11, 2009, 10:17 PM
I am trying to find good data for 165gr ranier pllated RNFP bullets using Hodgdon clays. Can anybody help? I cannot find lead data using clays.

Mr.Revolverguy
July 12, 2009, 08:13 AM
I am trying to find good data for 165gr ranier pllated RNFP bullets using Hodgdon clays. Can anybody help? I cannot find lead data using clays.
For 165gr jacketed bullets the Hodgdon Manual shows 3.5 to 3.9 for clays for the ranier I would start right at 3.5. Since this is only 851fps with jacketed you should get around 890 with plated.

Walkalong
July 12, 2009, 09:37 AM
Clays is pretty fast for .40, and the .40 has a reputation of better accuracy with medium speed powders than fast powders as well.

I have had real good luck with Universal Clays in .40 with both plated and jacketed bullets, including that Ranier bullet using 5.9 Grs of Universal @ 1.125 O.A.L.. That is midrange jacketed data. It shot very well in my friends Firestar. No chrono data though. (pre chrono days for me)

6.0 Grs and a Berrys 165 Gr TrFP @ 1.160 (almost too long for my XD SC mag) gave me 988 FPS from the 3" XD and 1080 FPS from a Witness Elite Match.

These loads were safe in my pistols using my load procedure. Use with caution.

sriviere
March 7, 2010, 02:35 PM
I know that that this is an old thread, but i'm trying to load 185gr Berrys (45ACP) and I'm sure that the COL of 1.275 has to be wrong. Loaded to that length I can pull the bullet out of the case with my fingers. Something is wrong with that data. I also have a Midway 45ACP "LoadMap" with the same data...it just can't be correct. According to some Accurate Arms data for 185gr (JHP) 45ACP it seems like 1.210 is a better COL. Any experience or better data...I'd appreciate it.

Steve

bds
March 7, 2010, 02:45 PM
COL of 1.275 has to be wrong. Loaded to that length I can pull the bullet out of the case with my fingers.

If you can pull the bullet out of the case with your fingers, that is very dangerous. The chambering action from the magazine by the slide will push the bullet deeper into the case with the force against the ramp - this will increase the chamber pressure when fired.

I believe you do not have enough taper crimp. The quality check test I use for sufficient taper crimp is setting the round on the bench and pushing down on the bullet with all of my hand/arm force can apply. The bullet should not move!

If it pushes down, I apply more taper crimp. BTW, I seat my 200/230gr 45 ACP to 1.25" COAL.

1% Lawyer
July 31, 2010, 01:39 PM
New to THR. Used to shoot a lot, mostly 1911s, until about 15 years ago. Now am starting to have grandchildren and want to try and regain my former proficiency (but age 65 is not the same as 50!). I have a bunch of .45 ammo that I reloaded back in the day - 200 gr plated SWC in front of 5.5 gr 231 OAL 1.2". I went to the range to qualify with a Colt Combat Elite Enhanced .45 ACP, and discovered that it badly needed a trigger job, so got that done. Went back to qualify again and still couldn't hit much (although at least the trigger worked well!). The consensus of the range instructors was that I needed to start out with a lighter load, so I am thinking of these:

200 gr plated SWC 5.0 gr 231 (will use if it cycles the gun properly)

200 gr plated SWC 5.2 gr 231 (if needed to cycle the gun properly)

Any opinions, helpful suggestions?

Walkalong
July 31, 2010, 03:22 PM
1.275 is SAMMI max length for .45 ACP. You need to load the actual rounds to whatever the bullet you are loading needs to function well.

I load the Berrys 185 Gr HBRN between 1.260 & 1.265 O.A.L.

I load the Berrys 185 Gr SWC at 1.190 O.A.L.

I have never tried any Berrys 185 Gr TrFP's.

No amount of crimp will make up for poor neck tension, which is what you need more of. You need to crimp just enough to remove the bell and/or a hair more.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=115832&d=1266369497

Walkalong
July 31, 2010, 03:31 PM
200 gr plated SWC 5.2 gr 231 (if needed to cycle the gun properly)5.0 Grs of W-231 will cycle the gun fine. I shot lots of 200 to 250 Gr lead and plated bullets with 5.0 Grs of W-231.Less will work as well. I did an interesting experiment along those lines (http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=523172) not long ago.

Welcome to THR

1% Lawyer
August 2, 2010, 12:15 AM
Thanks, Walkalong. I will load up a batch and see whether the lighter load will help me get back in the saddle.

bds
August 2, 2010, 02:08 AM
I believe you do not have enough taper crimp.
Oh my, it should be "not enough neck tension". :banghead:

If it pushes down, I apply more taper crimp.
And this should be "check your resizing for proper neck tension" - dang, mind is a terrible thing to deteriorate ... :rolleyes:

recombi123
December 17, 2010, 03:08 PM
Does anyone have any data on loading these bullets with Bluedot? Im just looking for a good safe load for target plinking nothing heavy. Thanks

Walkalong
December 17, 2010, 03:31 PM
Use a max of 80% of jacketed data with Blue Dot and you will be fine. It will be light and safe.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=6195350&postcount=11

Welcome to THR

bds
December 17, 2010, 03:58 PM
I think Blue Dot might be too slow burning for 40S&W.

I haven't loaded 40S&W with powder slower burning than WSF/HS-6.

If you can't find current published load data, do you have other "faster" powder you can use?

Walkalong
December 17, 2010, 05:37 PM
I think Blue Dot might be too slow burning for 40S&WI agree that it is not best suited for light to medium plinking loads in .40 S&W, but it will work if that is all recombi123 has to work with.

I also agree that WSF and similar burn rate powders like Universal would be better.

I have a light 155 Gr load with 700X that shoots well. Powder puff. Mainly my powder of choice in .40 S&W is Universal.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ranier Plated Bullets...lower grain charge?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!